View Full Version : skating shops in st petersburg, florida?

peanutskates
04-13-2007, 08:24 AM
Hi everyone,

Yesterday at skating, my coach said that if I wanted to take skating more seriously/learn harder elements, I would need stiffer skates. Mine are, apparently, like paper.

So I figured I could survive for a bit more than a month, and then, in the end of May, we are off to Florida. 1st week will be close to Disneyland and the 2nd week will be near St Pete's beach in St Petersburg.

My dad thinks that skates might be cheaper in America, and I think that they might have better skating shops than the one we have here in my town. So we thought we'd start looking for new skates in Florida.

So - can anyone recommend good skating shops in Florida, either near the Disneyland area or in St Petersburg? We will also have a hire car so we can drive around the area.

Thank you!

looplover
04-13-2007, 01:18 PM
Hi, there is a shop near St. Pete that's run by a former skater - Standing Ovations - the Clearwater location is their main one. They do have a St. Pete location but I don't think they are open all the time, so try Clearwater first:

Standing Ovations
2340 State Road 580 # I, Clearwater, 33763 - (727) 796-8877

Standing Ovations
6212 54th Ave N, St Petersburg, 33709 - (727) 544-6010

You also might be able to pick some up at the pro shop of my rink, Sunblades - it's close to St. Petersburg but call first so you know they're open. I know the shop is open Wednesday evenings and Saturdays.

SUNBLADES ICE ARENA
13940 ICOT BLVD. CLEARWATER, FL 33760
727-536-5843

peanutskates
04-13-2007, 01:52 PM
thanks, I'll note those places down.
Are they reasonably priced places?

Mrs Redboots
04-14-2007, 10:17 AM
Do check on prices here before you go - sometimes skates are dearer in the USA. Most blades are made here in the UK, and often cheaper here, so do make sure you have some price comparisons!