View Full Version : AN Results, news, etc. *SPOILERS*

PattyP
04-12-2007, 08:12 AM
I just wanted to report that out of Ladies Gold III group B, doubletoe, sk8er1964 and myself qualified for FINAL ROUND! Woohoo!

The parking lot wine party was postponed due to weather. It snowed all day yesterday.8O We hope to reschedule the event after final round tonight.

Skating under IJS was interesting, it took approximately 2 minutes between each skater for the judges to complete the scores. It was nice to have the time to stroke around and warm up before our skate.

Silly me, I'm out there doing some 2-foot power pulls then somehow manage to have my feet go out from under me and fall flat on my a$$ with my legs sticking up in the air. :roll: :oops: I got up, took a bow. :bow: The crowd thought it was funny...my coach did not. After getting the evil eye from her, I got serious. I think it helped to relax me because I was not that nervous for my skate.

Isk8NYC
04-12-2007, 08:36 AM
CONGRATULATIONS TO PATTYP, DOUBLETOE, AND SK8ER1964!
Sending good vibes to all of you for the final round!
Hoping for a SkatingForums Sweep!

No gossip, huh?

Mrs Redboots
04-12-2007, 10:17 AM
Well done the lot of you! Podium places please!

Now that you're using the IJS, are your marks announced at the time? We found it most odd, a couple of years ago, that you had closed marking at such an important event - for us, closed marking only happens at very baby club competitions!

sk8er1964
04-12-2007, 12:38 PM
No, the marks aren't announced. We got the results posted after the event, and could buy the individual protocols etc from the desk. Those were very interesting! For example, I was downgraded on my double sal (and it was a good one for where I am right now on that jump - fully rotated - we thought :lol: - but 2 footed), so I don't see any sense in trying it tonight when I can get .4 for a single sal instead of .22 for the downgraded/neg GOE double! And I've learned that I must hold the camel in my camel combo for 3 revs (2 required), even if I think it looks like crap and want to get into the sit ASAP because of it. They did not count the camel at all, which cost me another .3 That's .48 points right there, and that can make a big difference!

Going to put the wine back into chill!

jazzpants
04-12-2007, 03:33 PM
PattyP, doubletoe, sk8er1964, and w.w.west (in Qualifying Group A!!!) You guys all rock on Gold Ladies III QR!!! (And yes, hoping for a skatingforums sweep too!!!) 8-) :bow: :bow: :bow:

TimDavidSkate
04-12-2007, 04:24 PM
My day started at 5:00am, I took the bus to the airport at 6:07am. Everything went smoothly, considering the weather was nasty. I checked in my luggage and just relaxed at the gate. The flight was not bumpy at all. The plane touched down at 10:02.

*** {Let me try a different tactic here} ***

10:55 Arrived at the Skating rink. I was a little pissed off from my $30 cab ride from the airport. :x The driver claimed that the destination was at the suburbs. I took the number and the taxi ID to call later to make sure.
So I roamed around the rink and find it very comfy. The spectator views from both rinks are awesome. Rink 1 had the all around bleachers and rink 2 is overlooking the ice (but without glass partitions). Saw familiar faces and exchanged quick greetings.
11:03 Saw my starting order for Saturday! I skate last. Thank god the skate gods heard my prayer. I preffer to skate last.
11:10 Bored and found an outlet to charge my cell phone, then roamed around more. I checked in and got my goodie bag :-) I have a new cd carrier! Yey!!!
12:50 I Headed to the practice rink. I was the only one walking :-/ Everybody had rental cars. I could have had one, but I have a suspended license :-(
12:57 Walked in the rink and saw all the competitors getting ready for practice. I stretched just a little bit and warmed up. 1:20 Stepped on the ice for my 20 minute practice.
There were at least 25 skaters on the ice. It was crazy. Everybody were trying to cram up all their stuff on the given short ice time for 20 minutes. My music was set to play 5th.
I knew trying to do the jumps and spins were going to be difficult, so I just set my head to doing bits and pieces of choreography. I skated to The Fate of Carmen. It felt good and was suprised to hear some applause at the end of my program. I saw my competitor skate his program after mine. He has a HUGE AXEL!!! Good flow on the ice as well. All I can say is WOW!!! 8O
I have to get my head together properly from now on.
1:40 The session is OVER! Now it was time for Master's ladies warmup. I was pleased to do my program for a little bit and land all my jump attempts. My asthma kinda kicked in though, alot. After 3 pumps I was still trying to catch my breath. It was a packed session filled with coaches, former competitors and as well as present ones, so it was a little bit of pressure.
2:23 My taxi cab arrived and picked me up. The town really calls for everybody has to drive a car. Everything is out of reach and so I had to tell my driver to stop at a shell station so I can get money out and some food.
He got lost for 10 minutes going back to the hotel (poor guy). The meter ran to $30.85, and I was a little scared to have to pay that price again. But he was understanding and nice, so it only costed me $12.54, so I gave him a $20 and told him to keep it.

Now its 4:12 - Boredom central!!! With no car and the rink is not in walking distance, I have nothing better to do. I know I will sleep in tomorrow, because my practice is not until 7:45PM!!! 8O

myste12
04-12-2007, 04:26 PM
Congratulations PattyP, doubletoe, sk8er1964!!!

Thank you sk8er1964 for the IJS info! I guess I'd better make extra sure to hold my spins... I tend to cut my camel short in the combo spin too.

sue123
04-12-2007, 05:35 PM
Congrats everyone. I :bow: to all of you. I am still debating whether I Want to take tests or not, let alone compete.

Terri C
04-12-2007, 06:30 PM
Where oh where are the results for the Bronze and Silver events??? USFS says they'll get them up as soon as they can, but those events happened yesterday and now they've posted the Open Gold and Masters results!

flying~camel
04-12-2007, 09:21 PM
I got 3rd in interp I A/D. :)

I skate Bronze I FR tomorrow afternoon.

jazzpants
04-12-2007, 10:25 PM
I got 3rd in interp I A/D. :)

I skate Bronze I FR tomorrow afternoon.WOO HOO!!! flying~camel!!! CONGRATS TO YOU!!! :bow: :bow: :bow:

And good luck tomorrow afternoon on the FR in Bronze I FR!!!

skatingatty
04-12-2007, 11:03 PM
Congrats, PattyP and the others on qualifying!! So, Tim, I'm surprised it cost $30 to get to the rink. :( Based on the rink's website, it is only 9 miles from the airport. Here I am in downtown Chicago, and I can barely figure out how to get from the hotel to the metra or to the airport by way of the CTA. That would really peeve me to walk and commute all over the area and have to fork out so much to continue onto the rink. It's also a lot colder here than I thought it would be. Hoping that the concierge will have some good advice tomorrow. Maybe I'll be able to make it to watch Silver Ladies I at 11:50am. Good luck everyone!

TimDavidSkate
04-12-2007, 11:06 PM
Hiya, yeh it is ONLY 9 miles, but all of a sudden my driver tells me that bc its in the suburbs so it will cost me a time and a half. Plus he barely knew where the rink was. Thank goodness I had a printed out directions from mapquest. I had somewhat no choice, the line after me stretched to 40 ppl or more.

Have a safe travel 8-)

icedancer2
04-12-2007, 11:40 PM
There's also a behind-the-scenes blog here:
http://adultnationals2007.blogspot.com/

This blog is written by one of the ice-dancers from Portland -- we have an unprecedented 5 teams skating this year -- and so far I think they're doing really well!

Good luck and Congratulations to all of the competitors!!

tidesong
04-13-2007, 12:36 AM
Congrats to all of you and hope you do well !!

Isk8NYC
04-13-2007, 07:54 AM
This blog is written by one of the ice-dancers from Portland -- we have an unprecedented 5 teams skating this year -- and so far I think they're doing really well!Assuming you know her personally, please thank her for me. I enjoyed reading the Blog entries and her pairs website. Both are well-written and creative, the pics are fantastic. I do hope she finds her missing camera - everyone look around!
(BTW, was that our SF Stephen? Is the "Cookie Man" Jazz's primary coach Jay, or are they different people?)

I'm living vicariously. At least, it's not through my kids, right? LOL

Congrats Flying~Camel and GOOD LUCK TO YOU AND EVERYONE ELSE !!!

Thin-Ice
04-13-2007, 08:15 AM
Assuming you know her personally, please thank her for me. I enjoyed reading the Blog entries and her pairs website. Both are well-written and creative, the pics are fantastic. I do hope she finds her missing camera - everyone look around!
(BTW, was that our SF Stephen? Is the "Cookie Man" Jazz's primary coach Jay, or are they different people?)

Jay the cookie man is a different Jay than Jazzpants' coach.. Jay the cookie man doesn't skate, but is incredibly supportive to all the skaters (and a great baker). Jazz's coach is very focused on his skating and that of his skaters at AN and is such fun to watch.

Stormy
04-13-2007, 08:29 AM
Getting ready to go eat and get over to the rink for my warm up. I'm in Silver I at 11:50...hoping to see skatingatty there, I haven't seen her in a while! :)

Words of advice, don't throw anything in a bag that can break on the ice! Last night during the Gold III final, someone threw a bag of jelly beans to Judy Sargent and it broke open and jelly beans went everywhere.

Terri C
04-13-2007, 08:44 AM
Assuming you know her personally, please thank her for me. I enjoyed reading the Blog entries and her pairs website. Both are well-written and creative, the pics are fantastic. I do hope she finds her missing camera - everyone look around!
(BTW, was that our SF Stephen? )

I've enjoyed the blog as well- this is a ice dancer's blog, but it's just as fun.
Yes that is the ever popular NoVa Sk8r in the picture!!!
Congrats Flying Camel and good luck to you this afternoon as well to Loop Loop and NoVa in Champ Pairs tonight!!

jazzpants
04-13-2007, 08:52 AM
Jay the cookie man is a different Jay than Jazzpants' coach.. Jay the cookie man doesn't skate, but is incredibly supportive to all the skaters (and a great baker). Jazz's coach is very focused on his skating and that of his skaters at AN and is such fun to watch.Though if the Wyandotte FSC has anything to do with it, my primary coach Jay will be knee deep in cookie dough coming back from AN! :halo: :P :lol:

icedancer2
04-13-2007, 10:08 AM

You should put a comment on her blogs - I've been doing it! I will thank her if I ever see her - Portland is small enough that we ALL know each other (too well sometimes) but since we skate at different rinks most of the time, who knows when I will see her?

Yeah, me too!!

w.w.west
04-13-2007, 10:22 AM
Though if the Wyandotte FSC has anything to do with it, my primary coach Jay will be knee deep in cookie dough coming back from AN! :halo: :P :lol:

Operation Cookie Dough complete! He got it this morning as part of the goodies thrown on the ice! Don't let him charge you for it!

Mrs Redboots
04-13-2007, 11:21 AM
And I've learned that I must hold the camel in my camel combo for 3 revs (2 required), even if I think it looks like crap and want to get into the sit ASAP because of it. They did not count the camel at all, which cost me another .3 That's .48 points right there, and that can make a big difference!Indeed yes - the Husband learnt that one the hard way at the Coupe de France. Plus they didn't count his flip because it was under-rotated. I am wondering whether he'd be better to take it out and put the salchow back.

I got 3rd in interp I A/D. :)Yay, congratulations to you!

MusicSkateFan
04-13-2007, 11:46 AM
Gold/Masters skaters are getting dinged for poorly executed jumps. Better to do what you can very well!

I was on the practice with TD....it was a crazy 20min. I did see a 3sal from a Masters level skater......Championship masters men is going to be exciting!!!

Terri C
04-13-2007, 11:48 AM
I did see a 3sal from a Masters level skater......Championship masters men is going to be exciting!!!

Was that Larry Holliday you saw?!

jazzpants
04-13-2007, 12:07 PM
Operation Cookie Dough complete! He got it this morning as part of the goodies thrown on the ice! Don't let him charge you for it!Or if he does, I'll take it out of his tip when he does my hair!!! MUHAHAHAHAHA!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

jazzpants
04-13-2007, 12:50 PM
For those who want 6.0 non-qualifying events results:

http://www.usfigureskating.org/event_related_details.asp?ri=content/events/200607/usadultchamps/6.htm

Thin-Ice
04-13-2007, 01:56 PM
Hurray!! USFS just posted most of the results from the "other events". Lots of our skaters are doing well. Hurray for SF skaters! For those of you there, have fun and skate well!

Thin-Ice

sk8er1964
04-13-2007, 09:31 PM
Getting ready to go eat and get over to the rink for my warm up. I'm in Silver I at 11:50...hoping to see skatingatty there, I haven't seen her in a while! :)

Words of advice, don't throw anything in a bag that can break on the ice! Last night during the Gold III final, someone threw a bag of jelly beans to Judy Sargent and it broke open and jelly beans went everywhere.

That was right before I skated. I went out to help pick them up - the white ones were really hard to find. The same thing happened to me, though, when I threw a bag of Hershey Kisses to a Masters Novice I skater. I never dreamed the bag would break open. Lesson learned -- put it into a freezer-strength baggie if it is anything that might remotely spill on the ice!

IJS and spin update -- I didn't hold my final layback position for 4 revs - was about 1/2 to 3/4 short, according to my coach-Mom. That cost me .3 in base points (as compared to what I got in the QR). I was .23 out of a medal, and the GOE was not a significant factor in that element. Lesson learned -- I think I really like the feedback aspect of this system!

skatingatty
04-13-2007, 09:55 PM
Hey guys,
I'm back and chillin' in the downtown hotel. Can't believe it took almost 2 hours each way to get to and from the rink-- walk to station, transfer 1-2 times, wander around to find taxi area, wait for taxi, etc. My taxi ride each way cost "only" $21 after tip. Stormy, I looked for you but didn't see you, since I didn't get to the rink until about 2:30pm. How did you skate? I saw you got 3rd or 4th place-- congratulations! So, I saw some beautiful dresses and a lot of impressive skating moments in the few hours that I spent at the rink. There was this one woman who got all dressed up in African gear and did a well-choreographed interp to music from "The Lion King," with head gear and all! Then there was another woman who did an entertaining program to "The Boots are Made for Walking," someone else dancing like crazy to rock music and getting all into it, a woman with a beautiful ivory dress and scarf, and so on. Of course, someone had to skate to "I'm Too Sexy." She was wearing a black cat outfit with a pink bra and panty set over it, plus a tiara. It was entertaining!

In terms of the Gold/Masters Men, there was this one man who looked at least 50 and was so impressive. He did an axel and had a really fast backspin in a program to "James Bond" music, all in a tuxedo-type suit. Dcden had a gorgeous aqua shirt with sequins, and landed 2 axels! There was one guy, didn't catch his name, but he had on a plum long-sleeved shirt and skated beautifully to "Romeo & Juliet." Another guy, wearing a long-sleeved black shirt, did an impressive double-toe, single toe combo. Then, there was Chris Williams with his Charlotte and great spirals, and Antonio Conte with his fast spins and poise. I really wanted to stay and keep watching, but I was worried about how to get back to the hotel and had to leave. My first taxi didn't show up, and I ended up sharing a taxi van with a Bronze skater from Albany, NY. Hope everyone who competed will fill us in on the details.

I don't mean to sound like a sourpuss, but I think the Dallas location last year was better and more convenient. We had free shuttles from the airport and could stay at a number of reasonably-priced hotels right across the street from the rink. We could watch a little skating, practice, eat, then go back and forth to the hotel whenever. Plus, that outlet mall was great! I'm kind of glad I didn't compete this year. Looking forward to enjoying downtown Chicago tomorrow. :)

sk8er1964
04-13-2007, 10:23 PM
I don't mean to sound like a sourpuss, but I think the Dallas location last year was better and more convenient. We had free shuttles from the airport and could stay at a number of reasonably-priced hotels right across the street from the rink. We could watch a little skating, practice, eat, then go back and forth to the hotel whenever. Plus, that outlet mall was great! I'm kind of glad I didn't compete this year. Looking forward to enjoying downtown Chicago tomorrow. :)

The Chicago LOC has been, IMO, the best of any I have known since I started competing AN's (didn't go to Dallas). The amount of effort that they put forth to make things easy and convenient for us is totally awesome.

It is unfortunate that Chicago is so darn expensive -- we went to the Sears Tower today on our way out of town and it cost us $28 to park for an hour and 1/2!!! Plus $22 for and adult and two 11 year olds, and $20+ for two seniors. Almost $75 for an hour and 1/2 of admitedly awesome views is not worth the money, IMO. I've never been to Chicago, and will probably never go back -- too expensive and tourist unfriendly.

However, the event was awesome!!! The LOC was great!!! If they had this event again, I'd be back - I just wouldn't bring my family and I'd room with 5 or 6 other skaters 8O to save money :lol: .

TimDavidSkate
04-13-2007, 10:39 PM
8:10 am Started getting ready to go to the lobby for breakfast. Got some eggs, sausage, and waffles, mmmm yumm. Then started feeling sleepy again, so I just grabbed some bannanas and muffin and headed back to my room to sleep.

2:37 pm Now slowly waking up and will start to get ready to go for my day. I will have to hone my skates and pack my backpack for tonight's practice. I'm just taking my time and stay in a mellow zone :-D

5:16 pm Just finished my short nap, ate some garlic bread and now waiting for my taxi.

5:50 pm Unfortunately the taxi company I requested were not too reliable. I should have taken the offer from Pair skaters, Diane Cheng and James Barry 17 minutes ago. They were so nice. So I asked the hotel's shuttle driver for a ride. Thank goodness he said yes.

6:00 pm Arrived at the main rink to see what was happening. Got to see Andrea and Lee and chatted for a little bit and wished them well for tonight's competition.
I got properly fitted by SP Terri's Jeff, so when I place an order in the future they will have my exact measurements.

6:55 pm Just got in on time to see Nicholas Chou's program runthrough. He looked very graceful and elegant. I got to also watch Brooks Jones the gold medallist from last year, he looked sharp as well, pulling off 2Lu/2Lo/2Lo combos.

7:15 pm Ate an apple and started to warm up very slowly.

7:45 pm Started my 30 minute practice and felt the ice was hard, since it hasnt been cut for hours. Overall I had to push 3 times hard. I had gotten too relaxed that my body was not waking up properly. Plus I was extremely distracted with my right boot. I had to keep taping it to get stiffer. Since the ice was so hard my boots were yelling for support. I didnt jump or spin during my program runthrough, I was just trying to get comfortable. But it wasnt working out. I got to do each jump at least once during the session. Spins - camel: got some few revolutions until I flopped out, flying camel: SPLAT!!! I got too lethargic and just felt miserable.

Walked over to the rink to catch the remainder of the competition for Championship Gold Pairs.

I sat with Nicholas Chou and Marco Pizzo during the event. Andrea Cooper and Lee Jones turned in an awesome performance. Good lifts and presentation :-) I am so proud of them!!!
Pairs team Sailer and Garber skated awesome as well, good relation with the audience and themselves. But the performance of the night went to the team of Choeleen Loundagin and Will Abel. They had throw 2salchow and split 2twist in their programs. It was a standing ovation at the end.
Pairs team Marna and Steven and Diane and James were also awesome and turned in a crowd pleasing performance.

Now 10:34 pm I just orderd my ceasar salad with grilled chicken and desert plain cheesecake. I have to start getting my head together for tomorrow. Im getting nervous and edgy. Hopefully everything will work out.

Thanks for all your support and good wishes.

Stormy
04-13-2007, 10:54 PM
Some amazing performances by the pairs tonight! WOW!! :bow: I always love watching Kim and David skate, they're so fun. Great job by NoVa and LoopLoop as well!

This has been a VERY long week!! I'm so exhausted! Silver I was a tough group this morning! Lots of axels abound. In retrospect, I shouldn't have taken my second one out, but since it takes like 45 minutes for my flying camel to get around three revs, I would have been way behind the music putting another one in. But I landed the one I did and I was really happy with the entire skate. I was grinning like an idiot the entire second half of the program. I ended up 4th. :D :D :D

I have to say the very best part of the week was spending time with badaxel....we're a lot alike and we had a LOT of fun!! Even if our baseball game got snowed out...whoda thunk it? :giveup:

ITA, the LOC has been amazing! I do have to say, the location in Dallas was much easier to get around in, I loved being able to walk back and forth from the hotel, plus just being in warmer weather was nice as well.

skatingatty, 2:30was about the time I went back to the hotel to chill and relax for a bit, sorry I missed you but I'll look for you tomorrow!!

Terri C
04-13-2007, 11:02 PM
6:00 pm
I got properly fitted by SP Terri's Jeff, so when I place an order in the future they will have my exact measurements.

Tim,
If you see Jeff tomorrow, tell him that Terri will be at the rink on Monday waiting to hear all the AN gossip! :twisted: (For those who do not know, Jeff with Sp Teri not only fits me for my boots, but is a coach at my rink!)

NoVa Sk8r
04-14-2007, 11:32 AM
(BTW, was that our SF Stephen? Is the "Cookie Man" Jazz's primary coach Jay, or are they different people?)Hey, that is me! Looking very tired and such. Julia and Jordan were great in their OD, and they did a reverse hydroblade where he was resting on her knees! :bow:

LoopLoop and I had the skate of our lives last night in championship pairs event. We really could not have asked for more (well, more vodka nips! ;)) Thanks for all the cheers and support!!!

You know, we had to follow the 1st-place team of Choeleen and Will (who were just simply awesome), and Dick Button is right: The best time to do your program is right after a skater or a team brings the house down. You really can feed off the energy from the crowd. I was so in the zone (and I think LoopLoop was, too) that I was grinning like a cheshire cat throughout the whole performance.

And strangely, we were the only team to get more than level 1's on any element (we got two level 2s in the champ. event and three level 2s in the open gold event).

OK, gotta get ready for my singles skate in a few hours ...

vesperholly
04-14-2007, 04:24 PM
Argh, why aren't the 6.0 results from Friday posted yet?! :frus:

ETA: Nevermind, I found them.
http://www.usfigureskating.org/event_related_details.asp?ri=content/events/200607/usadultchamps/friday-6.htm

phoenix
04-14-2007, 08:26 PM
Hi everyone, I just got home. I stayed long enough to see the Championship masters men....GREAT skating!! Larry tried the 3 sal, but fell on it (he was landing it very consistently in pracitce. He looked nervous at the start, & the triple is the very first jump in his program). Then after him Brian(? not sure) tried a 3 toe (? I think)--landed it, but I think touched the crossed foot on the landing. BUT--he also landed a huge double axel! I didn't stay to see the results.

I skated last night (masters interp III A/D)--skated pretty well, a little stiff to start but it got better. I thought I was prepared for the level of skating that would be in my group--I was wrong!! Gorgeous, fast, so expressive & perfectly choreographed. Spins that will tear your heart out from jealousy. I felt very outclassed! I have to skate masters because of my dance test level, but that certainly doesn't mean I look like the rest of them! From the ones that I saw, I'd say all of them skated as kids--unlike me, and the difference is glaring. Needless to say, I came in last.

BUT---one of my friends taped it for me--and when I got back to the hotel, all ready to have a good cry about it (not because I think the results were wrong, but because I know I'll never be that good), I watched the tape a few times. And...it really isn't that bad. I don't skate that fast, but I don't think I look too tentative, & my head is up & I look fairly comfortable through most of it. And now I have some motivation to keep working on speeding everything up, getting better at the fast footwork, & keep working on my spins (didn't go very well in competition; I can do better).

Onward & upward, right?

I'd also like to add my thanks to the organizers, everyone was friendly & helpful, and it is a really nice rink (if a bit out of the way). The ice was great. My only complaint was that I couldn't find a single working drinking fountain--there had to be one somewhere?!

2salch0w
04-14-2007, 08:56 PM
And strangely, we were the only team to get more than level 1's on any element (we got two level 2s in the champ. event and three level 2s in the open gold event).

OK, gotta get ready for my singles skate in a few hours ...

Big congrats to Stephen and Marna for their finish in champ pairs. It sure was a great skate.

As for the > level 1s, did you mean just in the championship event? In open gold we had a level 2 for our death spiral and a level 3 for our spiral sequence. I don't have the protocol sheets with me for championship, but I would have thought that the top 2 teams would have each had some level 2s in there.

Tim

phoenix
04-14-2007, 09:03 PM
I chatted briefly w/ a judge from my area--she thought it a little strange that they were using IJS at all--she thought it must be very discouraging to the skaters to see so many deductions/minus GOE's/down graded jumps. She shrugged & said, "They wanted it." I thought that was interesting, coming from that perspective.

jp1andOnly
04-14-2007, 09:11 PM
I doubt people were very discouraged. I think its probably more motivation for skaters to know WHAT to imrpove on and WHY they placed where they did.

Adults arent stupid. We know that Lambiel type spins at a level 3/4 aren't gonna happen for us, and that we toe pick all over the place

I chatted briefly w/ a judge from my area--she thought it a little strange that they were using IJS at all--she thought it must be very discouraging to the skaters to see so many deductions/minus GOE's/down graded jumps. She shrugged & said, "They wanted it." I thought that was interesting.

2salch0w
04-14-2007, 09:36 PM
I doubt people were very discouraged. I think its probably more motivation for skaters to know WHAT to imrpove on and WHY they placed where they did.

Adults arent stupid. We know that Lambiel type spins at a level 3/4 aren't gonna happen for us, and that we toe pick all over the place

I think it is going to take a few seasons for us all to get used to IJS and figure out if it is right for adult skating or not (or perhaps with some modifications.) I agree that the additional feedback is great, but in many cases you'll find that you'll have to speak to the technical caller to understand it all. After gold pairs none of us knew why our overhead lifts weren't counting. I still don't know why we got nothing for our pairs spin in championship. I don't know if the tech caller is going to want to meet with every skater on a regular basis to go through it all.

The other problem with applying this to adults is the "all or nothing" aspect with some of the elements. Again on the lifts, if the guy's arms are not perfectly straight and locked out, you get zero credit. Part of me wants to say not to "dumb it down" for the adults, but the other part of me says "give me a break for the 10 degree bend in my arms, I'm not going to the olympics." Going through all the team's protocols from open gold pairs, most had 3-4 elements that they got no points for, and these could have been very reasonable, though slightly imperfect attempts. This is SO different from what we're all used to.

The problem is that the system could end up discouraging adults from trying to put these stretch elements in their programs because it just isn't worth it. I really don't want to take out our overheads because I think they're fairly good, but we'd be better off doing the low lifts, it seems. Maybe this is more a function of pairs, because it is really the lifts and the death spiral that seem to be so picky.

Tim

Stormy
04-14-2007, 10:33 PM
Well, I should be at the competitors party right now, but I'm so exhausted I just can't fathom leaving the hotel. This has been a long, but awesome week. Championship Masters ladies tonight was amazing! I am SO SO SO thrilled for Stephanie Cooke regaining her title! She's such a great skater and a sweet person. Amy Entwhistle was second, Diana Lynne Webster Wells was third, and Amber Van Wyk was fourth. I loved Amber's program as well, and I told her if I ever got an Ina Bauer like hers in my lifetime, I'd be a happy skater. And her double axel was gorgeous as well.

Some interesting notes, I went with badaxel to a practice rink in Buffalo Grove, and Susie Wynne was there chorographing for someone! Of all random people to see, Susie Wynne! Plus, Charlie Tickner, Lloyd Eisler and Amber Corwin were there as coaches this week. I got to meet Amber and I was thrilled, I was always a big fan of her skating.

A lot of the feedback I got from people about using IJS was that the skaters love the information, and exactly what the judges like and don't like about their programs and what they need to work on, however, many said it does need some "tweaking" as well.

I got a little mention in Lexi Rohner's blog as well, in her entry on the 13th! :) Being here has gotten me incredible motivated to move up to Gold next year. It's going to be a tough challenge, and tonight's championship gold ladies event showed me I have a LOT of work to do, but I'm up for it! :)

vesperholly
04-14-2007, 10:54 PM
Where is Lexi Rohner's blog? I've only seen the one by Julie something on the official site.

Stormy
04-14-2007, 11:04 PM
If you go to the results and photos page, it's on the very bottom under blogs. :)

sk8er1964
04-14-2007, 11:29 PM
A lot of the feedback I got from people about using IJS was that the skaters love the information, and exactly what the judges like and don't like about their programs and what they need to work on, however, many said it does need some "tweaking" as well.

I loved getting the feedback! What I don't like is that a flexible spiral sequence gets more points than footwork. Footwork is hard for adults. Spirals are not as hard - and getting 2 or 3 points for a spiral sequence in a prorgam that ends up with 25 or 30 total points is huge. I love footwork, but in my next program spirals will be the order of the day -- less energy spent and more points!

PattyP
04-15-2007, 12:35 AM
I loved getting the feedback! What I don't like is that a flexible spiral sequence gets more points than footwork. Footwork is hard for adults. Spirals are not as hard - and getting 2 or 3 points for a spiral sequence in a prorgam that ends up with 25 or 30 total points is huge. I love footwork, but in my next program spirals will be the order of the day -- less energy spent and more points!

ITA!! Just doesn't seem fair...but I guess that's the rules. I'm going to work on that spiral sequence as well. But I just love the challenge of footwork and it's just more my style. Oh well. :giveup:

sk8er1964, congrats on your great skating this week! I just wish you skated after me instead of before me so that I could have watched more of your programs. My coach was very complementary of your skates in both qualifying and Final round. Great Job!! :bow:

lovepairs
04-15-2007, 06:59 AM
Lee and I went to find a "technical specialist" the next day for an explaination of the following, but no one was around and we had to hit the road:

Lee and I, as you know, had an awesome wall-to-wall straight line footwork sequence filled with twizzels, chactows, brackets and rockers and other turns. We were extremely proud of this and thought the only reason we could pull this off was due to years and years of work on MIF. Right after E. Sectional we met with a "Pairs Technical" specialist and he viewed our skate and said that we should cut our footwork in half (not wall-to-wall) so that our spiral sequence, which would garner more point (HARD TO BELIEVE AND TOTALLY REDICULOUS) would count instead. Nevertheless, our coach conferred with him having knowlege of the IJS herself. So, we changed our choreography, cut our footwork literally in half, so that it would only be counted as a transition, and then we pumped up the spiral sequence to a level 3. I also, of course, changed our COP form and submitted it with the Straight Line Footwork sequence OFF, and the Sprila Sequence ON. End result, they counted our footwork and downgraded it, probably because it wasn't wall-to-wall now, and totally ignored the Spriral sequence, which didn't even help us (as beautiful as it was--if I may say so myself) with the transition score. So, Lee and I got the DOUBLE WACK!

So, which technical specialist is right??????? Sthee what I'm sthayin?

Okay, about the lift fiasco: Timmy, that's an excellent point about spins traveling, or two-foot landed jumps in singles at least get some points , but 90% of the pairs lift got ZERO points, because they weren't totally text book--alla the elites! Now, there was a lot of joking around in the locker room right before the Championship Pairs event that, based on what we saw take place with regard to all of the lifts in the Open Gold Competition not being counted, that we would all get more points if we "dumbed down" our program and did very safe "side-by-side Bunny Hops!" Or, that we should all abandon our overheads, because we would get more points for a safe and clean Lutz Lift. Is this what we want? I don't. Lee and I really enjoy the process of learning, pushing the envelope, and working on more difficult elements in a safe progression.

How do you feel about this?

Mrs Redboots
04-15-2007, 07:02 AM

My husband totally agrees with you on that (he is really good at spirals), to the point where he was seriously considering changing to a spiral sequence this year. But as he's keeping the same programme, it's probably easier to keep the step sequence, and if we cut new music for him next year, there will be a spiral sequence.

He is determined to keep his flip in the picture - he did a fully-rotated one today but put his hand down. His coach isn't quite sure what he ought to do, but we are leaving it as a flip on the PCS and if he decides to do a salchow on the day, so be it.

mdvask8r
04-15-2007, 08:26 AM
So, we changed our choreography, cut our footwork literally in half, so that it would only be counted as a transition, and then we pumped up the spiral sequence to a level 3. . . End result, they counted our footwork and downgraded it, probably because it wasn't wall-to-wall now, and totally ignored the Spriral sequence, which didn't even help us (as beautiful as it was--if I may say so myself) with the transition score. So, Lee and I got the DOUBLE WACK!

So, which technical specialist is right??????? Sthee what I'm sthayin?

Which sequence came first in the program, footwork or spiral? First one counts, does it not?

Clarice
04-15-2007, 08:37 AM
Which sequence came first in the program, footwork or spiral? First one counts, does it not?

This is how I understand things, after talking to our rink's tech specialist. It bothers me, because I think the music should determine the placement of the elements.

lovepairs
04-15-2007, 08:46 AM
Yes you're right, our foot work came first, but since it was not end-to-end, and only covered about 1/2 of the ice surface it "technically" should not have been counted or read as a Straight Line Footwork Sequence, but rather as "transition" steps. On the other hand, our spiral seqence was serpentine, covering not only the entire ice surface, but a 1/4 more (not to cross over the serpentine pattern) to include one more change of edge spiral for an upgrade. This Sprial Sequence, as I said, was on our COP form. Now, I'm wondering if the technical specialist even had the revised form infront of her? I believe the rules were that the USFSA gave us one week before the competition to make any changes to our COP form.

Also, does anyone out there know when and how the judges record the component scores? Do they punch it into the same little computer system that they use for the GOE scores? Do they do the component scores while they are watching the competition, or do they record them after the skate based on their memory of what they just saw? Does anyone know how the judges do this?

Isk8NYC
04-15-2007, 08:52 AM
Results, including both the IJS and 6.0 events, are being posted on the USFSA website: (updated once per day)

http://www.usfigureskating.org/event_details.asp?id=34946

ETA: If you look below the results, there are some great PHOTO/VIDEO and NEWS links.

BTW - Check out the main USFSA NEWS page - all the stories are about AN!
http://www.usfigureskating.org/Events.asp

Lexi Rohner (where does she find the time?) has an AN blog on the USFSA website:
http://www.usfigureskating.org/event_story.asp?id=38375

There's also an unofficial behind-the-scenes blog, written by a multi-talented ice dancer, here:
http://adultnationals2007.blogspot.com/

mdvask8r
04-15-2007, 09:41 AM
. . . It bothers me, because I think the music should determine the placement of the elements.
YESSS!!!! I so agree!!

mdvask8r
04-15-2007, 09:43 AM
BIG CONGRATS to all AN skaters!! The reports have been great -- almost feel like I was there. You ALL were awesome.

jp1andOnly
04-15-2007, 09:50 AM
If the rules say either a footwork or spiral but not both, they look at whatever comes first.

sorry, should have double checked that beforehand

This is the reason why, in my program, i only do 1 spiral at a time, and no more than 2 because it would be counted as an element, as my footwork sequence comes at the end of the program.

Learning the IJS is a bit of a learning curve. It is frustrating, but does give you so much knowledge

This is how I understand things, after talking to our rink's tech specialist. It bothers me, because I think the music should determine the placement of the elements.

WhisperSung
04-15-2007, 10:39 AM
Hey guys! I just got back from AN and had a blast! Okay, I would've preferred warmer weather, but it was still good. :)

Despite having only sporadically trained for my Masters Novice I event for the past month, I did alright. I managed my 2toe-2toe combo (finally!), popped my 2flip, landed my 2loop (it was so big I almost fell out of the thing!), landed my lutz-half loop-axel, popped my second 2toe, and landed my last 2sal. I'll take it!

I ended up 2nd overall in my group which was pretty exciting!

I only wish I didn't have to take a few years off to go to law school. Hopefully I can come back in a year or two and share in the fun again. I'll miss you guys, though! Everyone's always been so wonderfully friendly to me at these competitions.

Bill_S
04-15-2007, 11:05 AM
Anybody else getting a virus warning when they visit the USFSA web site to check adult nationals results?

My MacAfee anti-virus program pops up a warning each time I go to read the results. Wonder if it's just me?

(BTW, my friend got a 5th in Ladies Bronze IV! Way to go Carole!)

Goldjudge3
04-15-2007, 11:11 AM
Anybody else getting a virus warning when they visit the USFSA web site to check adult nationals results?

My MacAfee anti-virus program pops up a warning each time I go to read the results. Wonder if it's just me?

I am getting that too- some trojan thing.

On another note, I had a blast at my first AN's. My mom and I both competed. I ended up 2nd in Masters Sr 1 and my mom qualified for final round in her bronze 4 group. I shoved a huge stuffed horse out on the ice after she skated in final round. We both had a great time! It was nice to meet so many friendly people. Congrats everyone!

Hannahclear
04-15-2007, 11:14 AM
Hmmm I didn't get any virus warning last night. And I did click on a FSU link to Silver I Men's Results. But I won't be heading over there, until I hear that it's clear.

I did just read the blog without any warning, but I suppose that's different.

Anyway, as for the IJS. Are they eventually planning on adding it to the Bronze and Silver levels? I have so long if I'm ever going to get to gold, let alone Championship. I was just wondering.

Congrats to all who competed! I can't wait for next year. :)

jskater49
04-15-2007, 11:34 AM

(BTW, my friend got a 5th in Ladies Bronze IV! Way to go Carole!)

I got that and it says I couldn't delete it!

j

Hannahclear
04-15-2007, 11:44 AM
Was the virus warning on the general results page, when you click to the various event results?

Does it say what kind of trojan it is?

sk8er1964
04-15-2007, 12:02 PM
sk8er1964, congrats on your great skating this week! I just wish you skated after me instead of before me so that I could have watched more of your programs. My coach was very complementary of your skates in both qualifying and Final round. Great Job!! :bow:

Thanks! :)

As I told you there, you are looking awsome!!! Too bad we missed the wine thing, though. I can't believe that they closed the bar - couldn't even bum an opener for the bottle I had with me :x

TreSk8sAZ
04-15-2007, 01:56 PM
Was the virus warning on the general results page, when you click to the various event results?

For me, the virus comes up when I open the general results page AND when I open the 6.0 results page. It's driving me nuts -- I want to see how people did!

TimDavidSkate
04-15-2007, 01:57 PM
8:20am Got up and had some breakfast. I kept tossing and turning all night as expected. Now I'm just relaxing (but not too much) until I leave around noon time.

12:02pm Took the hotel shuttle to the rink

1:15pm Had warm up with the rest of the Silver Men 1, 2 and 3. I felt ok and in control. Except for the flip and lutz attempts again. But I turned around and did them out of anger.

1:27pm Took my hotel pillow and laid down and relaxed. I felt at peace and calm for some reason.

2:25pm Started to lace up my skates so if there was any adjustments I would be able to do so. I listened to the Bolero the whole entire time I was getting ready. It helped me to get into a controlled zone. I was getting suprised that I wasnt feeling nervous. I could still feel my body. So I thought, ok, maybe it hasnt hit me yet.
So turned to my Ipod to play some videos, Oksana Bauil and Kwan skating clips.

2:52pm Took the ice for warmup. I felt at ease and was in the present. I did a loop, flip, lutz-I botched the jump bc my body wasnt together, then i turned around and did one that felt at ease. Again, I realized, "hey, I can still feel my legs", I did a stupid thing by trying to attempt an unplanned salchow in the warmup where I was too close to the boards and had to botch it, so i turned around and did one to show the judges I can do a damn salchow.

After the warmup I sat down again and watched my Ipod videos :-) I watched Katarina Witt for inspiration.

Finally, it was my turn to skate. I could still feel my legs and was feeling in the present. I took a couple of sips of my red bull and headed to my position.
When the first couple of notes started playing I felt so at ease, and was enjoying the music. But I know I had to pay attention to my elements coming up:
Lutz/Loop/Loop - ok, considering I haven't done this combination this week
Lutz - phew, landed!!! I was relieved. Most of the time I would just open up for no reason and pop it to a half.
Flying Camel - first one of the week. Thank goodness the splat attempt last night was out of my head.
* After the spin, I was all of a sudden tired. "Lack of training" I thought to myself *
So I waltz through my non existent un-trained straightline footwork into my
Flip jump. At the last second I decided to put in a loop at the end. I figured I needed another combination jump. So I tacked in the loop. Before I know it, there was the wall!!! I quickly turned my head and placed both of my hands on the glass ice. What the heck??? I started laughing to myself because this never happened to me. I then proceeded to my camel spin which I caught the hook but was unable to attain my centering to finish off with a second position - attitude spin. Then I began to feel more tired.
*Geez they are right, spins do take so much energy*
So I went on to do my backcrossovers to my ena baur. At the last second I knew my legs were rubber and I didnt know if I could still muster up a salchow/toe loop combo, so I avoided it and went on to an attitude spin instead of my planned backscratch.
Sigh * I thought I have lost it, due to lack of training leading up to this competition. The other skaters clearly had a balanced program and good technical elements.
Sectionals was a much better performance. I attempted all the elements I planned within the program and at the end I felt sure that I have done it. With this event, I was unfocussed. Im glad this happened, its a wake up call. I know I wont let this happen again for my next event, so I will work on it little by little until my next event this October/November for Halloween Classic.
After my skate there was a colorful yellow paper bag that was thrown on the ice. I wondered who have thrown it. I never ever received anything after my skate. It was from my good and sweet friend Meggan Rasdall :-D It contained a leigh, chocolates and a rubber ducky. Thanks baby ;-) It really means a lot!!!

So Jeremy and I were waiting for "the result sheet". Its the part I have mix feelings with. I like it and at the same time I dread it. So within minutes the girl placed the ordinals/results on top of our starting order.
I had: 1, 1, 1, 2, 1, 2, 1. Oh wow, I won! Phew, I thank God this trip wasn't so much of a waste. Jeremy got the silver, Brendan Walsh got the bronze, and Dennis Wickline got the pewter. I take my hat to them for having a constructed and fierce programs.

For the rest of the time I ate, and watched the Championship Master's Men event. Where Davin skated first and put out an awesome program. It was very inspiring. You can hardly hear his blades while he skates. And he WON!!! I got to see the legendary Larry Holliday skate. He had awesome tricks and the only major flaw he had was a fall on his triple salchow.
I also got to see Jason Spicer who put out a good fight during his program. He landed up to a 2Lutz. Throughout practice he has been missing that jump. So all in all, it was a clean skate and a well deserved standing ovation in my book. Brooks Jones who was the reigning champion put out a good solid program as well that had him in 4th place.

I didnt stay for the competitors party, I wanted to head home to see my hubby and my cats :-D

Isk8NYC
04-15-2007, 02:17 PM
For me, the virus comes up when I open the general results page AND when I open the 6.0 results page. It's driving me nuts -- I want to see how people did!

I use McAfee at work and no alarms went off; at home I use Norton and it doesn't trigger the virus alert either.

In any case, let's try the HTML Links:

6.0 Results (http://www.usfsa.org/content/events/200607/usadultchamps/friday-6.htm)

Debbie S
04-15-2007, 02:37 PM
Congratulations to all who competed, esp NoVa, Stormy, doubletoe and our other medalists! And congrats to NoVa and Loops for what sounds like a personal best in the Champ Pairs comp! :bow:

Hey doubletoe, I'd be curious to know the details of your Level 4 spiral sequence. :)

Hannahclear
04-15-2007, 04:03 PM
I use McAfee at work and no alarms went off; at home I use Norton and it doesn't trigger the virus alert either.

6.0 Results (http://www.usfsa.org/content/events/200607/usadultchamps/friday-6.htm)

That is weird. I do surf with Firefox, which is supposed to block alot of stuff, but perhaps others here do too.

Bill_S
04-15-2007, 04:14 PM

JS/CapBang trojan...

I get a pop-up alert when I enter the USFSA site and click on Events/Results in the banner, and also when I click on the 2007 Adult Championships Results and Photos link.

MacAffee tells me it has blocked the script when the pop-up happens.

Terri C
04-15-2007, 04:16 PM
JS/CapBang trojan...

I get a pop-up alert when I enter the USFSA site and click on Events/Results in the banner, and also when I click on the 2007 Adult Championships Results and Photos link.

I got the same thing all day yesterday, then clicked the darn thing off!

Hannahclear
04-15-2007, 04:39 PM
JS/CapBang trojan...

Thank you for the info. I surf with NoScript on my Firefox browser, which blocks scripts of all kinds, unless they are allowed. So I think I'm good, but am still scared to venture to the USFSA website and double check my settings!

Now that I think of it though, I did visit yahoo.com after my site results check and I got a message from NoScript about blocking a cross site attack. That could have been related to this.

TreSk8sAZ
04-15-2007, 06:09 PM

Finally! Thanks so much!

And congrats to everyone from Skatingforums!

Michigansk8er
04-15-2007, 06:16 PM
Congrats to everyone! It was great seeing everyone............and cheering you on from the stands.

Sk8pdx
04-15-2007, 07:25 PM
It is great to hear about all the wonderful skating, and the fun. It has helped to inspire and feed the dreams of those who hope to skate at AN someday. :) Thanks to everyone for sharing and also Congrats on great performances!
~sk8pdx

Mel On Ice
04-15-2007, 08:20 PM
I am getting that too- some trojan thing.

On another note, I had a blast at my first AN's. My mom and I both competed. I ended up 2nd in Masters Sr 1 and my mom qualified for final round in her bronze 4 group. I shoved a huge stuffed horse out on the ice after she skated in final round. We both had a great time! It was nice to meet so many friendly people. Congrats everyone!

that was you? I was the sweeper for that event!

I completed my goals for AN this year - clean programs and top 10 finishes. Next year, I'm qualifying!

jazzpants
04-15-2007, 10:33 PM
Let's see way too many people to say congrats to...

Congrats to Cinderella for her Silver in Champ Adult Gold Ladies and doubletoe for her pewter medal in the same event. (Next year, doubletoe! I look forward to seeing you win this one at Lake Placid IN PERSON!!! No pressure, of course! :twisted: :bow: )

Master Men: Looks like Move Guru did pretty well... didn't medal but was short of the pewter by thismuch!!!

Adult Gold Men: WHOO HOO! Pacific Coast Sweep! All Californians too!!! :bow: YAAAAY, Nick! So proud of you for skating thru your lower back pain. I pray that the MRI will show that it's nothing serious...

FRANK-KAAAAAY!!! Are you a Gold Level guy now??? You BETTER say yes!!! :twisted: And just .03 short of a pewter too, you first timer GOLD GUY!! :twisted: :P SOOOOO proud of you, kiddo!!! :bow:

Have to give my props to our local Bronze guy, Thom Mullins (http://www.usfigureskating.org/event_story.asp?id=38365) for having the guts to go out there so soon after his heart attack just to skate his Interp program.

Props to NoVa/Loop for their pairs number and Nova for the win in Silver Men II!!! (Hey, dude! Did you see Bronze I Men? Did you see the guy I told you to watch for? ;) )

MSF: How does it feel being a Silver guy now?

Phoenix: The only thing I could tell 'ya is to learn from the experience. You already know what you have to work on to improve... so go out there and do it!!! You can do it!!!

Congrats on your Silver in your respective events, GoldJudge3 and WhipserSung, WeirFan06! :D Not too shabby in 4th, Stormy (and a mention in Lexi's blog too to boot!!!) ;)

PattyP and sk8er1964: I have been working my BUTT OFF on just getting a recognizable spiral position. I would have to have surgery to get one of those super flexible ones!!! But maybe someday... *sigh* :frus: (I'll meanwhile rely on my footwork, speed and flow and hope that will carry me over well...)

Mel On Ice: So happy to see you in the top 10th!!! WOO HOO!!! Next stop, qualifying for FR!!! :bow:

And last but certainly not least... my wonderful coach Jay for getting Silver for his "Romeo and Juliet" Masters Interp program! :bow: (See 'ya tomorrow night! I want gossip and cookies, of course! ;) )

doubletoe
04-15-2007, 10:56 PM
Well, I should be at the competitors party right now, but I'm so exhausted I just can't fathom leaving the hotel. This has been a long, but awesome week. Championship Masters ladies tonight was amazing! I am SO SO SO thrilled for Stephanie Cooke regaining her title! She's such a great skater and a sweet person. Amy Entwhistle was second, Diana Lynne Webster Wells was third, and Amber Van Wyk was fourth. I loved Amber's program as well, and I told her if I ever got an Ina Bauer like hers in my lifetime, I'd be a happy skater. And her double axel was gorgeous as well.

Some interesting notes, I went with badaxel to a practice rink in Buffalo Grove, and Susie Wynne was there chorographing for someone! Of all random people to see, Susie Wynne! Plus, Charlie Tickner, Lloyd Eisler and Amber Corwin were there as coaches this week. I got to meet Amber and I was thrilled, I was always a big fan of her skating.

I got a little mention in Lexi Rohner's blog as well, in her entry on the 13th! :) Being here has gotten me incredible motivated to move up to Gold next year. It's going to be a tough challenge, and tonight's championship gold ladies event showed me I have a LOT of work to do, but I'm up for it! :)

Ah, I was wondering why Amber was at AN for the Championship Masters events! (She is a member of my FSC and yes, she really is that nice!)

doubletoe
04-15-2007, 11:00 PM
Thanks! :)

As I told you there, you are looking awsome!!! Too bad we missed the wine thing, though. I can't believe that they closed the bar - couldn't even bum an opener for the bottle I had with me :x

I was SO wishing you were there when I finally managed to remember to bring both a bottle of pinot noir AND a corkscrew to the rink~! It was right after PattyP's interp program and I didn't even give Patty a chance to take her skates off first, LOL!

doubletoe
04-15-2007, 11:04 PM
Congratulations to all who competed, esp NoVa, Stormy, doubletoe and our other medalists! And congrats to NoVa and Loops for what sounds like a personal best in the Champ Pairs comp! :bow:

Hey doubletoe, I'd be curious to know the details of your Level 4 spiral sequence. :)

Thanks, Debbie! :) I did a change-ege, then a back inside, then a back outside with free leg in front, with change of free leg position to back.

doubletoe
04-15-2007, 11:07 PM
Let's see way too many people to say congrats to...

Congrats to Cinderella for her Silver in Champ Adult Gold Ladies and doubletoe for her pewter medal in the same event. (Next year, doubletoe! I look forward to seeing you win this one at Lake Placid IN PERSON!!! No pressure, of course! :twisted: :bow: )

YIKES!! 8O I still can't believe I managed to end up anywhere near the podium yesterday, LOL!
Thanks for all your encouragement and support! :D I hope you'll be there next year!!!!!!

Um. . . Can you tell I just got home today after not checking the boards all week?;)

flying~camel
04-16-2007, 08:49 AM
Congrats to Cinderella for her Silver in Champ Adult Gold Ladies

Watching Cinderella skate lights out after the technical difficulties and the restart (and the HUGE smile on her face when she landed the 2sal) is one of my favorite memories from this ANs :D

flo
04-16-2007, 09:35 AM
Congrats all around! Special "Wow" to Nova and Loops!!! I actually like the new scoring for pairs, my coach's choreography has always been well balanced and it's nice to have it recognized and rewarded. Great to see yours is as well!!!

I had a great time, great roomy and a pretty good skate. My knee held up, skates stayed on the feet, and I didn't bail on the camel-jump camel. My goal was to "love being out there". Once my music started, I did.

It was great to see everyone again. It was also great fun to be with Mika and another skater from our group who were there for their first Nationals. Nothing replaces that excitement, and it was great to be a part of it, and to have both of them skate really well and make finals.

FrankR
04-16-2007, 10:06 AM
Hi all,

I thought I'd drop in and say hello to everyone and say a few things about Adult Nationals.

First off, I'd like to thank everyone that tapped me on the shoulder to say hi. A big special thanks to Meghan Rasdall although I don't think she posts here. She made it her mission to cheer as loudly for me as humanly possible. Mission accomplished, Meg. :lol: Thanks!! I was especially happy to finally meet doubletoe and watch her skate. It's truly inspring to see her do so well. :)

I also got to meet Century Leigh and her mom. They're just so sweet! They were putting together goodie bags to throw out to people and were so nice to give me and my mom our own goodie bags as well. A big thanks to them for a nice chat and for the goodies. :bow:

I was lucky enough to share practice ice with Ninotchka Aschow and all I have to say is 8O WOW!! She is such a gentle, polished, refined presence on the ice and very nice as well.

I met up with Leslie Amacker a couple of times at the arena and I am thrilled for her. She skated her very best and considering the surgery and recovery that she's had to endure, it's absolutely phenomenal to see her out there and doing so well. I'm glad we got the chance to chat.

Similarly, I had a chance to have a nice talk with Maureen Linhardt (techskater). I was glad to see her and to congratulate her on her interp medal and share stories of our previous Adult Nationals. Hiya Maureen!

For my own event, I will say that it wasn't my best skate but I'm proud of what I did. In some ways, this skate reminded me a lot of my skate in Ashburn at the NYI. I skated the whole program acutely aware that this was my first Championship Gold Men's event at Adult Nationals. It was a bizarre sensation to the least. lol :lol: I had a couple of jump landing glitches and I couldn't get my feet under me completely in any of my spins though I didn't completely blow any of the spins either. Nevertheless, I fought hard through my program and the sound of the crowd cheering for both of my combinations and my spiral sequence will stay with me for a very long time. Thanks for all the support! :D I'm thrilled for everyone who skated. However, I am especially happy for the medalists. These guys are what Gold level men's skating should be and I hope to attain that level of refinement in my own skating. I'll also say that Nick, Andy and Gilbert have got to be the nicest guys in adult skating-dom. :) They went out of their way to encourage me and be supportive to me and they made me feel so welcome. You guys rock!

I was very happy to help put my coach out on the ice for his skate in Championship Master's Men. Edward had been fighting a nagging injury for the last week or so and to see him put out a program of that quality and show that much grit and determination was such a great treat for me. After Edward skated, I was lucky enough to meet Amber Corwin!! All the Master's Men are a lot of fun and I'm happy for Davin. I was standing right next to him when he found out he'd won and his reaction was great. :)

Well that's it for now. Thanks again to all who made this Adult Nationals possible. Congrats to all who skated.

Happy skating to all,

Frank

NoVa Sk8r
04-16-2007, 10:17 AM
Congrats all around! Special "Wow" to Nova and Loops!!! I actually like the new scoring for pairs, my coach's choreography has always been well balanced and it's nice to have it recognized and rewarded. Great to see yours is as well!!!Thanks; I can honestly say that we had the skate of our lives on Fri. night during the Championship Pairs event. I felt like I was maybe over-emoting, but I was grinning like a Cheshire cat throughout. We have tried so hard to achieve that performance mode (which was missing in the open gold pair event on Thurs. morning, where I felt a bit nervous).

We skated right after Choeleen and Will (the gold medalists), and Loops and I both agreed that we would try to test one of Dick Button's advice nuggets that the best time to skate is right after a performance that brings the house down. I am happy to say that this was indeed true, and we were able to feed off the crowd's energy.

And while doing our spiral sequence during one of our practice sessions where we skated with Choeleen and Will (when they were doing gorgeous throw double jumps), I saw their coach and smiled at her during the sequence. Afterward, she told me that she enjoyed that moment--and that really made my day. So I asked her to remain at the boards during our program so that I could relive that moment. She agreed and there she was during our spiral sequence! She really helped to carry me through that 3:30 program. Kudos to her.

Oh, pics are available:
http://www.liveactionphoto.com/index.asp

manleywoman
04-16-2007, 12:28 PM
I've compiled all the media coverage that I've been sent so far. It includes many pieces on Larry Holliday, Yvonne Dowlen, and the NBC piece from last Tuesday:

http://adultnationals2007.org/Links.html

We're getting press!

daisies
04-16-2007, 01:21 PM
Hi all!

FYI, Amber was actually there to support Bryan Rabin. :)

Having been to every AN since its inception, I must say this was one of the best-run and most fun of all of them. Congrats to manleywoman and the entire LOC on a great competition!

I had one of the best weeks of my life. I honestly think I am a changed woman! No, really! I came in to the competition injured and not even knowing if I could skate. My 30-minute practice on Wednesday was the first time I'd skated in 10 days after a what was diagnosed as a second-degree right hamstring pull, and I spent 25 minutes of that session just stroking. The last five was spent just seeing if I could land a waltz jump, salchow and toe loop on my right leg.

I could, but something I could not do -- or else risk aggravating the injury -- was right-leg takeoffs, which meant my Interp had to be rechoreographed, because it contained a loop, flip, lutz and walley! So the next time I was to skate was my 20-minute warmup on Friday, and I spent that changing all the jumps to the left-leg takeoffs -- the loop became a toe loop, the lutz became a waltz jump, the flip became a salchow, and the walley was just an extra three-turn.

In the actual performance, I felt I skated the rechoreographed parts as well as I could. Ironically, it was the parts I thought would be OK that weren't! LOL! I got tripped up in my step sequence and I also had a bad entry into a back sit, both of which threw me off. Go figure!

But the upshot is that in skating -- and even in life -- I rarely fly by the seat of my pants. I am rarely spontaneous. I am rarely unprepared or off the cuff. I'm pretty boring. LOL. But last week it was all about flying by the seat of my pants. And you know what? I am still alive to tell the tale! Who knew?! And the icing on the cake was that I placed second. It was an adventure I'll never forget and one I hope I can apply to my "real" life as well. :)

Congrats to everyone on your performances and placements!

myste12
04-16-2007, 01:22 PM
I just wanted to add to the congratulations for doubletoe on her level 4 spiral sequence and podium finish and for cinderella on her amazing skate!

I skated just ok in Championship Gold Ladies. I landed my double toe in competition for the first time ever, but singled my double salchow and popped the last axel. I learned a lot about IJS. Next year, my program will be set up very different. The good news is that my coach saw how many points doubletoe got for her spiral sequence and agreed that I could do a spiral sequence instead of a footwork sequence next year! Not that I don't like footwork, but I love spirals!

icedancer2
04-16-2007, 01:29 PM
Great compilation, manleywoman - I especially enjoyed the NBC piece (was that you they interviewed?).

JulieN
04-16-2007, 01:35 PM
I've compiled all the media coverage that I've been sent so far. It includes many pieces on Larry Holliday, Yvonne Dowlen, and the NBC piece from last Tuesday:

http://adultnationals2007.org/Links.html

We're getting press!

Thanks! That's great that there is so much media coverage of Adult Nationals. I loved the local NBC video. They did a great job of showing clips and quotes of many skaters.

Congrats to everyone! I've been to 3 adult nationals (2004 was my last one) and would like to go back again. I probably won't come back next year because I really want to concentrate on synchro, and making the Adult team one last time. Plus I've already been to Lake Placid 3 times -- really want to go somewhere different.

I'd like to come back in 2009. Does anyone know which clubs have submitted bids for AN 2009? The Ice Centre in Westminster, CO (NW suburb of Denver) has a great 3 ice surface facility. I would love to see AN 2009 in my hometown! :)

manleywoman
04-16-2007, 01:45 PM
Great compilation, manleywoman - I especially enjoyed the NBC piece (was that you they interviewed?).

Yup. I'm in the blue dress doing the sit spin and the interview afterwards.
Ellen Zurfluh did a tremendous job setting up all the press interviews.

MusicSkateFan
04-16-2007, 01:50 PM
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Don't Skate your best on the practice ice!

UGHHHH!

I had the worst program run I have had in over a month!

I dont really know what happened......fell on my Lutz....my money jump....it was down hill after that.

5th out of 6......pretty disasterous!......I am so ashamed......I guess I just did not have the right focus this time.

So I go from a National Champ to a National Disaster.....

I feel I really let my club down...Everybody else skated so well. Guess I am not so "competetive" after all!

jazzpants
04-16-2007, 02:03 PM
MSF, my dear... you are not a let down for your skating club!!! For one, you moved up a level. For two...everyone is bound to eventually have a bad program runthru. It's just a matter of when. As my dear MIL says, "you rolls yer dice! You takes yer chances!!!"

Rest up this week. (You've earned the break!!!) Then when you're back from the break, go back and think about things you want to improve on your skating and work on that. Beating yourself up is NOT gonna help you to fix this, so DON'T DO IT!!! (Your coaches will do that for you! That's what coaches are there for...) :twisted: :lol:

sk8er1964
04-16-2007, 02:18 PM
I'd like to come back in 2009. Does anyone know which clubs have submitted bids for AN 2009? The Ice Centre in Westminster, CO (NW suburb of Denver) has a great 3 ice surface facility. I would love to see AN 2009 in my hometown! :)

I'll bet Grand Rapids MI gets it :) They bid on it for 2008, and I heard that the USFS encouraged them to bid on it again for 2009.

TimDavidSkate
04-16-2007, 02:19 PM

UGHHHH!

I dont really know what happened......fell on my Lutz....my money jump....it was down hill after that.

5th out of 6......pretty disasterous!......I am so ashamed......I guess I just did not have the right focus this time.

I feel I really let my club down...Everybody else skated so well. Guess I am not so "competetive" after all!

awes, dont be too hard on yourself. WE ALL have gone through this, once or twice. It has to happen eventually and unfortunately. (Just look at Kwan coming from 96 nationals to 97 nationals = BAD! 8O) This is called a wake up call. We all get this when we let our guard down, put too much pressure on ourselves, or just lack of focus during the event.
This is a learning process - and take this to work even harder and I bet that energy will transpire to your next couple performances - Im sure. You work very hard on the ice and always are determined.
Im sure you will learn to pace yourself during practice. So you will end up having energy for your freeskate.

Kristin
04-16-2007, 02:22 PM
Thanks; I can honestly say that we had the skate of our lives on Fri. night during the Championship Pairs event. I felt like I was maybe over-emoting, but I was grinning like a Cheshire cat throughout. We have tried so hard to achieve that performance mode (which was missing in the open gold pair event on Thurs. morning, where I felt a bit nervous).

Oh, pics are available:

Congrats to Looploop & Nova for their awesome Silver Pairs performance! :bow:

And kudos to Nova for always being so gracious & sweet when us girls tell you how handsome you are. You always take it in stride! :)

Looking forward to seeing all of you in LP next year!

Isk8NYC
04-16-2007, 02:31 PM
CONGRATULATIONS
to all our Skating Forums members!
(I don't know all the members' real names, so I don't want to leave anyone out!)

As I said in the Practice Thread this week, you're all GOLDEN in our eyes!

Kudos to the LOC for a smoothly-run, and extremely well-communicated, event!

doubletoe
04-16-2007, 02:51 PM

UGHHHH!

It's true what everyone is saying: We have all experienced this and it does not mean you're a bad skater or a disappointment! My first skate at AN this week was awful, after a stellar practice session and warmup. If you had had another chance to skate your program this week (like those of us who had both QR and FR), you would have conquered the nerves and skated a strong program when it counted!

flo
04-16-2007, 02:56 PM
It was a well run event.
Thanks!

PattyP
04-16-2007, 03:49 PM

A good friend of mine put this in perspective for me...as I have been having more bad than good in the last few years...

You need to have the bad to really appriciate the good. If you always skate clean, then there is no longer joy in it...it's just expected. I was on cloud nine after my qualifying round skate as I had forgotten what it was like to skate a decent program in competition.

sk8er1964
04-16-2007, 04:04 PM
MSF, we all go through it. One year I qualified for championship gold, the next year I finished last at sectionals. It happens - just chalk it up as a learning experience and move on!

skaternum
04-16-2007, 04:08 PM
Congrats to Looploop & Nova for their awesome Silver Pairs performance! :bow:Loops and NoVa competed in Open Gold Pairs and Championship Pairs, not Silver. Just to set the record straight. :)

flying~camel
04-16-2007, 04:28 PM
I'll bet Grand Rapids MI gets it :) They bid on it for 2008, and I heard that the USFS encouraged them to bid on it again for 2009.

I hope we do! We took TONS of notes in Chicago and already have some great ideas in the works to include in our bid :D

flying~camel
04-16-2007, 04:30 PM

I hear ya! I left my lutz & combo spin on the practice & warm up ice :cry:

NoVa Sk8r
04-16-2007, 06:01 PM
Sorry to hear about your malaise, MSF, but please don't let one competition dictate your whole year or season (look at what you have accomplished this year!!!!!).

I agree that it is best to chalk it up to experience. I was in a similar predicament as you: In 2005, I won my singles even. Then last year, I came in second to last. But this year, things turned around for the better ;) ...

flying~camel
04-16-2007, 07:34 PM
Sorry to hear about your malaise, MSF, but please don't let one competition dictate your whole year or season (look at what you have accomplished this year!!!!!).

I agree that it is best to chalk it up to experience. I was in a similar predicament as you: In 2005, I won my singles even. Then last year, I came in second to last. But this year, things turned around for the better ;) ...

You had some great skates, NoVa! I saw your Champ Pairs and Silver events and they were both awesome!

My friend DD won the Silver Men III event and I can tell you, he is super anal about his spins! He'll have a very slight travel (barely even noticeable) and will have to redo the spin over and over until it is perfectly centered!

sk8er1964
04-16-2007, 07:50 PM
<snip> he is super anal about his spins! He'll have a very slight travel (barely even noticeable) and will have to redo the spin over and over until it is perfectly centered!

Ugh. I'd so be throwing up!!! :lol: 8O :cry:

doubletoe
04-17-2007, 12:16 AM
A good friend of mine put this in perspective for me...as I have been having more bad than good in the last few years...

You need to have the bad to really appriciate the good. If you always skate clean, then there is no longer joy in it...it's just expected. I was on cloud nine after my qualifying round skate as I had forgotten what it was like to skate a decent program in competition.

That is SO true! (And by the way, Patty, that was an amazing performance!)

doubletoe
04-17-2007, 12:36 AM
I just wanted to add to the congratulations for doubletoe on her level 4 spiral sequence and podium finish and for cinderella on her amazing skate!

I skated just ok in Championship Gold Ladies. I landed my double toe in competition for the first time ever, but singled my double salchow and popped the last axel. I learned a lot about IJS. Next year, my program will be set up very different. The good news is that my coach saw how many points doubletoe got for her spiral sequence and agreed that I could do a spiral sequence instead of a footwork sequence next year! Not that I don't like footwork, but I love spirals!

Hey there, Myste! It was great meeting you, and congratulations on that double toe (apparently, I don't even have a single toe. Sigh).
Yeah, I figured this year was going to be my only chance to use the spiral sequence to my advantage, LOL! Now everyone is on to the trick! ;)

Skittl1321
04-17-2007, 06:56 AM
Does anyone know the results of the Men's Masters events (non-championship) the Ladies are up on the usfsa webpage, but I can't find any mens events.

Thin-Ice
04-17-2007, 07:57 AM
CONGRATULATIONS to everyone who took part in AN 2007. You did yourselves and your clubs and your friends and your families proud by taking part.

I never had any idea how hard it is to NOT be there and still be focusing on AN. Thank you to everyone who posted results, stories, comments, etc.

It was possible to read all the exciting chat leading up to AN. It was bearable reading all the posts last week. But I have to admit, I REALLLLLLY miss the post-AN exhaustion/inspiration/high after coming home from a week of exhiliration.

I can hardly wait until next year to see you all and go through it all again.

Congratulations to everyone.. ESPECIALLY the LOC!

Thin-Ice

coskater64
04-17-2007, 08:14 AM
There were very few men's master's events, just 2. M Novice 2,3 combined with Jr. 2,3 and then M Novice 4. They are still missing results from M Novice ladies 1, 2 and 3 but they will all be up eventually.

Such a nice time, by far one of the nicest AN's I've ever been to.

Mel On Ice
04-17-2007, 11:59 AM
Chicago was a thrill, but it scares me a little because it was ran so well. If GGR gets the 09 bid, we have some big shoes to fill.

Hey Chicago LOC, I volunteered for yours, can you volunteers for ours? Pleeeeeeeeeaaaaaaase?

flying~camel
04-17-2007, 12:20 PM
Chicago was a thrill, but it scares me a little because it was ran so well. If GGR gets the 09 bid, we have some big shoes to fill.

Hey Chicago LOC, I volunteered for yours, can you volunteers for ours? Pleeeeeeeeeaaaaaaase?

We can do it, Mel! I'm ready to start working on the bid NOW! ;)

sk8er1964
04-17-2007, 12:49 PM

You are welcome to help us with Mids! :P

Michigansk8er
04-17-2007, 04:29 PM
You are welcome to help us with Mids! :P

I'll help, if you'll add Pro-Am dance. :D OK, out of your control. How about no ice or snow on the roads that weekend?

techskater
04-17-2007, 08:08 PM
It was SO awesome seeing everyone again.

FrankR - awesome skate in Champ Gold Men - a little more and you'll make the medals next year!

NoVa and Loops - I was SO impressed with your ability to take the positive energy in the house and use it to your advantage in Champ Pairs (after the winners). What became of the question to the technical specialist?

doubletoe - congratulations on that medal in Championship Gold Ladies. Nice spiral sequence!

SaraS - glad you were able to turn some positives around from what you learned from the protocols!

Skater1964 - best I have ever seen you skate!!! Don't worry, no pressure to do it all over again next year! :lol:

flying~camel - HUGE improvements in your skating since even the last time I saw you in Wyandotte! Keep going, you're on the right track!!

Mel on Ice - WOW! I am so proud to know you!!!

And anyone else who I talked to and saw skate - YOU ALL ROCK!!!

sk8er1964
04-17-2007, 09:20 PM
I'll help, if you'll add Pro-Am dance. :D OK, out of your control. How about no ice or snow on the roads that weekend?

Not necessarily. We haven't discussed the non-championship events. I can put that on the table, although I certainly cannot guarantee anything. :)

sk8er1964
04-17-2007, 09:28 PM
Skater1964 - best I have ever seen you skate!!! Don't worry, no pressure to do it all over again next year! :lol:

Thanks. :oops: Heck, if they keep IJS all I will be doing is axels and lutzes anyways. Darn downgraded doubles. Have already started on those spirals -- ouch on the hamstrings and butt muscles!!! And the spins.........

I know you had a rough skate this year, but I've seen you rock the house. Your skate at Mids this year was awesome, and very underappreciated by the judges, IMO. Maybe we can both qualify next year and rock the house together in champ gold at AN! :D

doubletoe
04-17-2007, 09:55 PM
It was SO awesome seeing everyone again.

FrankR - awesome skate in Champ Gold Men - a little more and you'll make the medals next year!

NoVa and Loops - I was SO impressed with your ability to take the positive energy in the house and use it to your advantage in Champ Pairs (after the winners). What became of the question to the technical specialist?

doubletoe - congratulations on that medal in Championship Gold Ladies. Nice spiral sequence!

SaraS - glad you were able to turn some positives around from what you learned from the protocols!

flying~camel - HUGE improvements in your skating since even the last time I saw you in Wyandotte! Keep going, you're on the right track!!

Mel on Ice - WOW! I am so proud to know you!!!

And anyone else who I talked to and saw skate - YOU ALL ROCK!!!

Thanks, Techskater! I'm sorry we didn't get more time to catch up at AN, and I'm also sorry I wasn't able to see your Gold II skate, but I wanted to tell you how impressed I was by your interpretive program, which I did see! Powerful and beautiful at the same time!

NoVa Sk8r
04-17-2007, 11:13 PM
NoVa and Loops - I was SO impressed with your ability to take the positive energy in the house and use it to your advantage in Champ Pairs (after the winners). What became of the question to the technical specialist?First off, thanks to you and your crew for keeping me entertained pretty much every day. And our sassing deserves a gold medal in and of itself!

To paraphrase Loops, talking about the the Championship Pairs event: "If we come in last with that performance, I could so live with that!"
That was very likely our last performance/competition together, so we were glad to end on a positive note. Before the music started, I gulped, and she rasied her eyebrow. Then I (and maybe she, too) laughed a little and let the audience carry us through.

OK, back to the nitty gritty.
For the record, you are not allowed to talk to the technical specialist, only the technical controller. I sort of felt like a pain, but after each competition, I like to seek out the judges and get feedback. Here, I felt awkward, because I've never dealt with a technical panel before. I spoke with someone at the registration desk, and she was very accommodating. She set up an appointment with the technical controller upstairs outside the hospitality room. The controller had the crib sheet from the technical specialist, the one that he/she uses to determine the levels of the elements.

So, for example, I wanted to know why my pair combo spin only got a level 2 instead of the intended level 3 (to be sure, I was doubly thrilled that I even got a pair *combo* spin, and that it was awarded level 2, which equals a hefty 3.5 points!). I sort of ahd a few ideas where the error might be. The controller explained, on the basis of the note sheet, why a level 3 was not achieved. While she could not say exactly where the failure of a feature occurred, she was able to tell me that a spin position failed to reach 2 revs, as opposed to a spin position not being counted as a real position. (So now I knew exactly where/how the failure had occurred.)

Similarly, she explained why certain elements were not called at all--and then I got in an argument with her over why one of my elements was not called, and she said that it was not reviewed and then mentioned possible "human error," and I stopped talking before I got myself in further trouble!)
She seemed to be a bit of a panjandrum, but I appreciated her frankness.

The woman at the registration desk said that the ref/judges had no problem with skaters setting up review appointments, because they really wanted the system to be transparent. Of course, the panel was pretty much busy the whole day--except when there were the official 20-minute warmups going on (hey another reason to keep these warmups!), so that is when I met with the controller.
Loops and I had studied the system and protocol rules, and I think the controller was a bit surprised at that.

Anyway, it was highly informative having an intelligent and detailed discussion on IJS with the controller.

NoVa Sk8r
04-17-2007, 11:21 PM
Props to NoVa/Loop for their pairs number and Nova for the win in Silver Men II!!!The win was a nice topper to the week, but I was so exhausted (physically and mentally) from those 2 pairs performances, that I really did not get invested in that performance. And I must thank dcden indirectly, because he asked about putting me out on the ice, and then I saw him helping out MSF, and that sort of helped me to maintain my focus (so thanks!)

(Hey, dude! Did you see Bronze I Men? Did you see the guy I told you to watch for? ;) )I didn't see any of the bronze men events (I had my 20-minute warmup earlier, and then i had to get my skates off, stretch, get changed, get focused, etc.). But I guess you are referring to Thomas C. I saw him in the stands and walking around. He looks to be about 7' tall, but maybe that was a warped perception, since I almost always saw him next to your coach!

Sk8pdx
04-18-2007, 01:11 AM

Oh, pics are available:

Thanks NoVa! (what, no flap this year?) I was able to sneak a peek at my pairs friends (Lane & Brown) from Seattle. :D

flying~camel
04-18-2007, 07:05 AM

Thanks!

I have to thank my coach for the improvements in my skating. She's really encouraged me to do a lot of off-ice work and she's really taken the time to help fix some of my bad habits (like not stretching on the pick for the flip).

I am planning to increase my off-ice work and pass my Silver moves in the next year, so hopefully, I'll be even better! :D

doubletoe
04-18-2007, 11:28 AM
The woman at the registration desk said that the ref/judges had no problem with skaters setting up review appointments, because they really wanted the system to be transparent. Of course, the panel was pretty much busy the whole day--except when there were the official 20-minute warmups going on (hey another reason to keep these warmups!), so that is when I met with the controller.
Loops and I had studied the system and protocol rules, and I think the controller was a bit surprised at that.

Anyway, it was highly informative having an intelligent and detailed discussion on IJS with the controller.

Nova, it's great that you did that. I know there were a lot of people who were baffled by some things they saw on their scoresheets, but didn't really know what to do about it. So what is the correct procedure for setting up a review appointment with the controller?

jazzpants
04-18-2007, 12:05 PM
I didn't see any of the bronze men events (I had my 20-minute warmup earlier, and then i had to get my skates off, stretch, get changed, get focused, etc.). But I guess you are referring to Thomas C. I saw him in the stands and walking around. He looks to be about 7' tall, but maybe that was a warped perception, since I almost always saw him next to your coach!Yes, Tom C is VERY VERY tall!!! I think about 6' 2". 8O And my coach is only an inch taller than me. I once told Jay that if he fits into ANY of my skating dresses that I would DIE!!! 8O (And the worst part is... he just might, since, except for the arms and chest, we have also very similar proportion... 8O )

NoVa Sk8r
04-18-2007, 12:08 PM
Nova, it's great that you did that. I know there were a lot of people who were baffled by some things they saw on their scoresheets, but didn't really know what to do about it. So what is the correct procedure for setting up a review appointment with the controller?Be a big PITA and ask ask ask! :)

doubletoe
04-18-2007, 12:13 PM
Be a big PITA and ask ask ask! :)

LOL! Glad to know that's the official protocol, because being a big PITA is something I think I could do! :lol:

FrankR
04-18-2007, 12:19 PM
LOL! Glad to know that's the official protocol, because being a big PITA is something I think I could do! :lol:

http://www.byblosbakery.com/images/pita.jpg

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

:P ;) :lol:

NoVa Sk8r
04-18-2007, 12:34 PM
LOL! Glad to know that's the official protocol, because being a big PITA is something I think I could do! :lol:Actaully, one of our elements did not count and I wanted to dispute that, so I, per the USFSA post-event error protocol (http://www.usfigureskating.org/content/techpanelprotocol.pdf), asked the referre for clarification and a possible correction.

My confusion of the called element was in our lutz lift. I was told that Loops did not actually pick into the ice and thus it looked like our axel lift. I am 99.999% certain that she did pick in, since I felt the toe pick reverberation in my injured back, not to mention the fact hat the lift would not have been possible had she not picked in. And on the axel lift, she took off forward, so I'm not sure how they were called the same anyway. The controller said that they didn't even compare the lutz lift with the video of the axel lift ("Huh?" I was thinking. Why not? You had the video at your disposal. I was told that they thought it looked the same, and the entire panel agrred on it. I didn't think that sounded quite right to me. I didn't want the panel to change the scores or anything--I mean, lots of teams had other elements not count, ourselves included, but the reasons for those decisions seemed logical and acceptable. I just wanted them to acknowledge that they were wrong, insisiting that the lifts were exactly the same. :twisted: I will wait to see the video. Long live PITA status!

doubletoe
04-18-2007, 02:14 PM

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

:P ;) :lol:

Are you saying my threats are hollow? ;)

doubletoe
04-18-2007, 02:15 PM
Actaully, one of our elements did not count and I wanted to dispute that, so I, per the USFSA post-event error protocol (http://www.usfigureskating.org/content/techpanelprotocol.pdf), asked the referre for clarification and a possible correction.

My confusion of the called element was in our lutz lift. I was told that Loops did not actually pick into the ice and thus it looked like our axel lift. I am 99.999% certain that she did pick in, since I felt the toe pick reverberation in my injured back, not to mention the fact hat the lift would not have been possible had she not picked in. And on the axel lift, she took off forward, so I'm not sure how they were called the same anyway. The controller said that they didn't even compare the lutz lift with the video of the axel lift ("Huh?" I was thinking. Why not? You had the video at your disposal. I was told that they thought it looked the same, and the entire panel agrred on it. I didn't think that sounded quite right to me. I didn't want the panel to change the scores or anything--I mean, lots of teams had other elements not count, ourselves included, but the reasons for those decisions seemed logical and acceptable. I just wanted them to acknowledge that they were wrong, insisiting that the lifts were exactly the same. :twisted: I will wait to see the video. Long live PITA status!

I hear ya! If they are going to use video replays to prove that we messed up on something, they should also use video replays to make sure we really did.

FrankR
04-18-2007, 02:21 PM
Are you saying my threats are hollow? ;)

LOL!! Nah. All I know was that it was close to lunchtime, I was hungry, I started reading a bit on here and all of a sudden there's talk of PITAs. :lol: Imagine me having a Homer Simpson moment and saying "Hmmmm......PITAS...me so hungy!"

flo
04-18-2007, 03:09 PM
Are the video's really used for disputes? Is there a mechanism (guideline) in place for this?

lovepairs
04-18-2007, 06:20 PM
Yes, that's what the video is there for. If the Technical Specialist is not 100% sure of what they saw, and can't call it they will call what they think it is, and then say "review," which means they have to go back and look at the tape for a clarification. I guess my question would be in such an instance, would all the judges review, too, in order to give it a GOE. I can't imagine 7 or 9 judges all around the computer screne for a "review?" Does anyone know more about how this works?

NoVa Sk8r
04-18-2007, 06:33 PM
That was one of my questions to the controller.

I think that the judges give each tried element a GOE score, irrespective of whether or not the element counts in the end. AFAIK, but it is after the program that the technical panel decides what counts and what does not count. For example, in my case of the lutz lift, the judges weref told "group 1 lift," and they would have assigned the GOEs. Upon review, the technical panel might decide the element is invalid or illegal or repeated, and then the GOEs are not used. In Oberstdorf, the GOEs for the non-counted elements were still listed. At AN, there were dashes across the board.

manleywoman
04-18-2007, 09:55 PM
At AN, there were dashes across the board.

Yes, but at least it was evenly applied to all the teams. Even the winning team had two elements I think get no credit.

NoVa Sk8r
04-18-2007, 11:05 PM
Yes, but at least it was evenly applied to all the teams. Even the winning team had two elements I think get no credit.The winning team had received no credit on just one element. Their group 4 got a zero because he completely aborted the lift, never getting her up in the air.

And anway, you missed my point. The controller mentioned that many of the overhead lifts were just not done at all (i.e, they did not meet the strict definition) and that many of the back outside death spirals (BoDS) received no credit because the man's arm was bent or the lady or man "exited" too early or never really achieved the set or required position. In my instance, she said that I repeated the same exact lift. But here's the kicker: that could have been easily verified by video replay, which inexplicably was not done (speaking to me off the record, one of the panel memebers said that his memory was better tha nany camera or video equipment so what was the need for a review? :?? ). I freely accept that my pair combo spin received no credit (I guess because no position was held for the requisite 2 revs) and that the BoDS was not counted because of the reason listed above.

jazzpants
04-19-2007, 12:48 AM
LOL!! Nah. All I know was that it was close to lunchtime, I was hungry, I started reading a bit on here and all of a sudden there's talk of PITAs. :lol: Imagine me having a Homer Simpson moment and saying "Hmmmm......PITAS...me so hungy!"
In other words, FrankR is jumping on the bandwagon on being a PITA himself!!! :P :twisted: :lol: (Just kidding, FrankR!!! We all love 'ya for your sense of humor!!!) ;)

FrankR
04-19-2007, 08:32 AM
In other words, FrankR is jumping on the bandwagon on being a PITA himself!!! :P :twisted: :lol: (Just kidding, FrankR!!! We all love 'ya for your sense of humor!!!) ;)

LOL!! Don't be sorry. I, for one, love being a PITA. Long live the PITAS!!

:lol: