View Full Version : Help with my loop

AlexeiLover
04-11-2007, 08:36 PM
Ok here's my delema. I'm fully rotating my loop but I am constantly putting my left foot down (I jump the "normal" way-for my loop- taking off my right, landing on my right). I'll hopefully have a video on my youtube account soon and I'll share it with you guys.

I'm open to all of your suggestions.

Morgail
04-11-2007, 10:33 PM
Oh that sounds familiar! I had a short relapse of that today. Are you entering from an inside 3 or from a mohawk & long edge?

Here is what helped me keep that left foot up:
1) thinking about keeping all my weight over my right side
2) improving my backspin, and then remembering that all a loop is is just a backspin in the air
3) letting myself fall. This is the hardest, and, to be honest, I didn't do it that often because I'm a big chicken about falling. But doing it at least a few times reminded me that I won't die if I don't put my left foot down.
4) really thinking about posture. If I stand up straight, I can land it. If I bend at the waist, the left foot comes down. (that was one of my problems today)
5) practicing 3 turns in a sequence that resembles the loop - RFI 3 to RBO 3 to RFI 3
6) don't try to take off too early. Let the edge curve in a little (like you're going into a backspin) before you jump up. (this was my other problem today)

Hope this helps a little! Good luck:)

Isk8NYC
04-12-2007, 08:41 AM
I know! I know! I just figured out my problem yesterday. (I jump CCW)
KEEP THE D**N ARMS CHECKED TO THE (RIGHT) SIDE BEFORE, DURING, AND AFTER THE JUMP.
If I open up that left shoulder (CCW) when I jump, I two-foot the landing.

I did a ton of backspins yesterday BEFORE I tried the loop and it really helps.
Again, make sure you keep the arms to the right side throughout the spin.

Sessy
04-12-2007, 10:01 AM
Keep right shoulder back, don't punch with that arm - follow your left shoulder instead into the rotation. And in the air, sort of act like you're standing on your right leg only.

The loop is easily practiced on socks on a slippery floor. Preferably before a mirror or video'd, so you can see where your arms are yourself.

southernsk8er
04-12-2007, 11:14 AM
I agree with everyone about the arms. Hold a strong check with your right shoulder back until you're ready to jump. Make sure your left shoulder is not pre-rotating and making your arm swing to the left. Also, scoop your right arm UP, not AROUND. These things should help keep your weight over your right side. Good luck!

AlexeiLover
04-13-2007, 02:46 PM
thanks guys...

Let me just say, I'm falling A LOT! (That was my problem for years I was afraid to fall).

I forgot to say that, I do take it from an inside 3.

Does this sound unorthodox to you? My coach has been having me do a half loop(take off the right, land on the left)-salchow-full loop combo.

Thanks again!

skatingdoris
04-13-2007, 04:45 PM
Does this sound unorthodox to you? My coach has been having me do a half loop(take off the right, land on the left)-salchow-full loop combo.

no, my coach has me doing things like this all the time, only with more jumps, a typical example being:
1 foot salchow - salchow - loop - toe loop - half loop - 1 foot salchow - salchow

I think he just does it cause he knows how unfit I am and is a sadist!! by the end i'm in a heap on the floor!

seriously though, the loop can be a hard jump to get the hang of and it takes time to get used to it. The advice about not letting your left shoulder go back past your hip is the key, but there is also a great deal of trusting yourself involved.

When I first landed my loop I could do it great for about a week and then it became terribly inconsistent for ages. The annoying thing was I knew I could land it but I kept two footing it because I didn't trust myself to land it, my left foot became a safety net. I spent ages talking myself out of that!

good luck with it:)

SkatingOnClouds
04-14-2007, 03:39 AM
1/2 salchows are sooo hard, and so good for me, because they really help find the moment to spring.

I did have my loop working well for a week, but then I had to take a session off, and it went on holiday. What is it with those edge jumps? Just finding the moment to spring on a salchow or loop, before over-rotating before the jump, drives me nuts. One day I will work it out.

AlexeiLover
04-17-2007, 04:13 PM
Here's a copule video clips of my loop. The people talking are my sister, mom and coach. Also, I appologize for the people skating in the way, my mom was filmig it on the morning of a test day. (I just uploaded them, so it might take a while before you're able to view them)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjCym2BSVm0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOU7_XHqJlE

jazzpants
04-17-2007, 04:14 PM
Ummm... would love to see the videos but I think you have them marked as private... ;)

southernsk8er
04-18-2007, 09:24 AM
Wow, that seems like a hard entrance to start out with. Now I do fancy entrances, but I learned from a mohawk or just back crossovers. Not going to argue with your coach, though :) The problem I see in your videos is with your right arm. After the 3-turn you need a strong check with your right shoulder back. It seems to me that your right arm swings in front before you begin the jump. So, 3-turn, check, then scoop your right arm up as you're jumping. Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm leading her astray!

doubletoe
04-18-2007, 11:40 AM
I agree with Southernskater. You are not keeping your right shoulder back long enough. Keep your shoulders counter-rotated to the right so that your right shoulder is way back and your left arm is extended in front of you and lined up in front of your chest. Don't let go of this position until you are actually starting to jump. Also, the RFI 3-turn really is the best entrance for the loop if you are trying to stay over your right side in the air and keep the left foot from coming down on the landing.

Isk8NYC
04-18-2007, 11:54 AM
Also, the RFI 3-turn really is the best entrance for the loop if you are trying to stay over your right side in the air and keep the left foot from coming down on the landing.I can testify to that statement!

ETA:
I'm re-learning the loop with that entrance. I learned it from a LFO3, step down onto the outside edge.
I'm a convert - it's much harder to master with the RFI3, but I can feel how it will pay off in discipline over time.

southernsk8er
04-18-2007, 03:31 PM
wow, that totally makes sense, doubletoe and nyc. i guess i never did it that way! my fave entrance is from back-3s, which i now that i think about it, puts you in the same position. anyway, good luck to you alexeilover, and send us some more videos when you get it down!

Sk8pdx
04-18-2007, 10:24 PM
I know! I know! I just figured out my problem yesterday. (I jump CCW)
KEEP THE D**N ARMS CHECKED TO THE (RIGHT) SIDE BEFORE, DURING, AND AFTER THE JUMP.
If I open up that left shoulder (CCW) when I jump, I two-foot the landing.

I did a ton of backspins yesterday BEFORE I tried the loop and it really helps.
Again, make sure you keep the arms to the right side throughout the spin.

Alexei..., thanks for this thread it is helping my loop alot too! Thanks for sharing the videos.

NYC! omg! I think you just gave me one of those epiphany moments! Like, THAT'S IT! Thats the secret thing that NO ONE has been telling me this whole freaking time I have battled this jump!:lol: My problem also is that I open the left hip, and land it 2-footed. grrrr.:frus: :??