View Full Version : Judging systems and rulebooks...

BuggieMom
04-11-2007, 08:06 AM
First judging systems...I see at some competitions that the higher levels are judged with the "new" ISU system. I guess the lower levels are scored with the "old" 6.0 system? I'm sure there be a point in the future when all levels are judged with the new system...does that change the way you think about choreographing a program, even at the lower levels-like, pre-pre and prelim?
Now rulebooks...do the same rules and regs apply to both the new and old system? I know that the actual scoring proceedure is different, but is there a different set of rules and regs for each, and if so, which applies to which? Is the USFSA rulebook the same as the ISU rulebook? If not, how different are they? Do the same set of rules and regs apply to Nationals and the Olympics as well as lower level non-qualifying competitions?

Whew! It's not 20 questions, but it's close...

jenlyon60
04-11-2007, 09:47 AM
Parents and coaches need to carefully read competition announcements to determine which judging system will be used at each competition. Generally speaking, at the current (April 2007) time, IJS is being used predominantly for only Juvenile and higher events. There may be exceptions to this, though, and that is where it is critical to read the competition announcement.

No matter which judging system is being used, there are Well Balanced Program requirements that your child's coach should be referencing in the choreography of their free skating program.

At No-test through Intermediate (possibly through Novice), these Well Balanced Program requirements are defined by the USFSA. At the higher levels, they are defined by the ISU.

For the 2006-2007 season, the Well-Balanced Program requirements for No-Test through Pre-Juv were:

No-Test:
--No limit on number of Single Solo Jumps, No Axel or double jumps permitted;
--at least 1 and not more than 3 jump combos/sequences; number of jumps included is free
--at least 2 spins of a different nature, min 3 revs per spin
--1 step or spiral sequence

Pre-Preliminary:
--No limit on number of Single Solo Jumps, Axel permitted, axel may be repeated in solos, sequences or combos; NO double jumps permitted
--at least 1 and not more than 3 jump combos/sequences; number of jumps included is free

Preliminary:
--No limit on number of Single Solo Jumps, Axel plus up to 2 different kinds f double jumps permitted and may be repeated in solos, sequences or combos;
--1 step sequence utilizing one-half the ice surface

Pre-Juvenile:
--No limit on number of Single Solo Jumps, Axel plus up to 4 different kinds f double jumps permitted and may be repeated in solos, sequences or combos;
--at least 3 spins of a different nature, min 3 revs per spin
--1 step sequence fully utilizing the ice surface

What the Well Balanced Program requirements mean is that they generally reflect the maximum technical content allowed in the skaters program at that level.

For example, in competition at the Preliminary level, if the skater includes more than 2 different types of doubles (for example, skater does a 2Sal, 2Loop and 2Flip at different times during the program), there will be a mandatory deduction by the judges for exceeding well balanced program requirements. Or if there are more than 3 jump combos/sequences, there will be a mandatory deduction. For spins, if the skater only does 3 spins and those are clearly short on revolutions, there would be deductions for insufficient revolutions. Under 6.0 judging, these deductions are taken from the base mark awarded by each judge. Depending on the deduction they may be taken from the technical mark or the program component mark (2nd mark) or in some specific cases, the deduction may be applied to both marks. Under IJS judging, the "deductions" would be reflected in a reduction in the GOE (Grade of execution) for that element, and where there's too many elements, from what I remember, those would be given 0 points towards the technical elements score for the program.

There is no ISU handbook. The ISU publishes "Communications" that outline ISU policies, technical requirements, etc. These can be viewed online at the ISU website (www.isu.org)

The USFS rulebook is available by order through the USFS "members only" section of the USFS website, or also possibly through your USFS-affiliated club (some clubs offer Rulebook ordering programs, others don't).

For anything Intermediate and below, the USFS rulebook is key. The rulebook also outlines the elements on all skating tests and for the Moves in the Field and compulsory dances, includes the diagrams. It's relatively inexpensive to purchase a rulebook (approximately $12-$15) and I would always recommend that a parent purchase a rulebook and be willing to consult it, as there are times when coaches rely on "web reading" or word of mouth to get their info.

--jsl

PS: Other than consulting this season's WBP requirements, I was writing from memory (rulebook not in front of me). Any errors weren't intentional and I'm more than willing to let any other officials out there supplement or correct my comments above.

PPS: There is a Parent's Survival Guide available for purchase from the USFS for $2. Here is the link to the order form. (http://www.usfigureskating.org/content/Parents%20Survival%20Guide.pdf)

I don't know if it's available for online ordering through the "members only" portion of the USFS website.

UDsk8coach
04-11-2007, 11:27 AM
I've noticed that the way I choreography my lower level programs *does* reflet the new judging system... I think once you're in that "mindset", it carries over to other levels, which is good. I want my younger skaters to understand the new system and use it to their advantage. Yes, it can be a lot to learn, but when they move up to higher levels, and are more responsible for their skating, all that knowledge will pay off (or I'm hoping it will!).

twokidsskatemom
04-11-2007, 12:51 PM
My kids coaches do Their programs under the new system, even though they are under the 6.0.In fact my daughter had a critque under the new judging on her pre pre program this year.
It will be all new system soon, so they might as well start now.!!

BuggieMom
04-12-2007, 09:34 AM
Thanks jenlyon60 for that informative post...
So I guess what was confusing me was, all these rules and regs talk about program requirements, and the deductions for each, and all that terminology seemed to refer to the new system (GOE and such), but I didn't really understand how that applies to the old system, where there isn't a GOE mentioned. As I understand from your post, all the same rules and regs apply, they are just deducted from a different set of scores, the base mark for the 6.0 system, or the GOE for the IJS system.
Under 6.0 judging, these deductions are taken from the base mark awarded by each judge. Depending on the deduction they may be taken from the technical mark or the program component mark (2nd mark) or in some specific cases, the deduction may be applied to both marks. Under IJS judging, the "deductions" would be reflected in a reduction in the GOE (Grade of execution) for that element,
So in effect, the same rulebook, requirements and deductions apply to both systems, no matter which system is refered to in the rules. Am I correct?

Mrs Redboots
04-12-2007, 10:12 AM
The thing is, judges are human! And they find it quite hard to switch between the two systems, or so I have been told. So even if they're judging under the RJS, they are often thinking IJS, even in countries where the IJS is only used for higher-level competitions.

I've also noticed that programmes that have been choreographed for the IJS tend to do better under the RJS than those that haven't. So it's well worth choreographing your programme as though it were to be judged under the IJS, even if it isn't!

One of these days our governing bodies will get their act together (don't hold your breath!) and roll it out across the board. It's not impossible - it's been done in France.

jenlyon60
04-16-2007, 08:05 AM
The same rulebook and well balanced program requirements apply under both 6.0 and IJS.

6.0 is basically a ranking system. Each judge racks and stacks the performance of each skater in reference to the other skaters in the event. These are called ordinal placements. Having said all that, at the lower levels, with 6.0, the ordinals across all judges for a particular skater in a particular event can appear mysterious to the skater and/or parent. For example at Preliminary Freestyle, some judges may prefer to see skaters doing as much content as possible, showing that they are trying the doubles, for example, even if the doubles are of minimal quality (under-rotated, minimal height). Other judges prefer to see a skater focusing on quality of basics at the lower levels.

Thus, there is often a wide disparity of ordinals for skaters in no-test, pre-preliminary, preliminary and pre-juv events (for example, ordinals ranging from 3 to 10 when there's 12 skaters in an event).

And which is why a skater with strong stroking, high secure singles, a good axel and centered basic spins, plus a variety of in-betweens/transitions often places higher in the pack than a skater who may be executing a lot of double jumps, but the doubles have minimal height and have cheated take-offs and landings, plus the skating in-between the jumps is scratchy with minimal "in-betweens"/transitions.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks jenlyon60 for that informative post...
So I guess what was confusing me was, all these rules and regs talk about program requirements, and the deductions for each, and all that terminology seemed to refer to the new system (GOE and such), but I didn't really understand how that applies to the old system, where there isn't a GOE mentioned. As I understand from your post, all the same rules and regs apply, they are just deducted from a different set of scores, the base mark for the 6.0 system, or the GOE for the IJS system.

So in effect, the same rulebook, requirements and deductions apply to both systems, no matter which system is refered to in the rules. Am I correct?

Virtualsk8r
04-16-2007, 08:53 AM
Canada tried out their Code of Points system for 'Starskate' (test system competitors) and for Adults at the Starskate National and Adult Invitational held in Calgary a few weeks ago. The new system was not only used for the usual dance and freeskate events, but for creative dance (sort of a freedance event) and for interpretive freeskate events ( used to be called artistic program) ....even for skating skills (similar to MIF but with music and a dance type pattern).

The new judging system has yet to be used system-wide, even for invitational competitive events but at least there is something now in place.

Well-balanced programs are in place for all levels of competition, including introductory and the number of jumps at each level are restricted in numbers and repetitions. So the kids get used to the 'big boy' ISU system at a earlier stage and can't just add jumps whenever they want.