View Full Version : help with 3 turns

liya_skatergirl
04-09-2007, 08:25 AM
im just starting out, and im kind of having such a hard time...

jskater49
04-09-2007, 09:23 AM
Give us a little more info - I think I've made every mistake you can make with 3 turns - your best bet is to have your coach/teacher (are you in Learn to Skate or private?) look at what you are doing and tell you what you need to fix. What seems to be giving you trouble?

j

peanutskates
04-09-2007, 10:20 AM
when u figure out what u need to work on, practice by the boards (and hold them) so u don't stumble

Helen88
04-09-2007, 11:07 AM
im just starting out, and im kind of having such a hard time...

Join the club ;). I just passed Skate UK level 5, so when I get back to my group lessons after the Easter holidays I'll be on level 6 - and 3 turns. I'm getting there with them though - actually finding them easier than the two-footed turns. Just keep trying I guess - though I agree with asking your coach/tutor. If you try to just guess, you'll end up doing something wrong and having to relearn it all. Good luck!

cutiesk8r43
04-09-2007, 11:42 AM
the main thing with 3 turns is to bend your knees and check your arms

blackmanskating
04-09-2007, 01:58 PM
Okay I'm kinda new but I'm going to give this a shot. The trick that got me to doing 3-turns is the "Down-up-down principle." When you enter a 3 turn, you want to be down in your skating knee. Rotate your upper body in the direction you want to be facing when the 3 turn is complete. (Example: if you are doing a forward 3 turn, you want to turn your upper body facing backwards) This creates twist in your body. Now you want to go up in your skating knee. As you come up to the front of your blade, release the twist by turning your lower body so that it is in the same direction as your upper body. As soon as you are facing the opposite direction, go back down in your skating knee. You should see a smooth "3" tracing on the ice. If you remember down-up-down, the 3 turn will turn all by itself. Don't try to force the turn with your hips. :giveup: I tried to explain that without confusing you. I sincerely hope this helps.

BMS

Sessy
04-09-2007, 02:36 PM
It would help if you showed a photo or a video preferably. We could see some of what's going wrong.

But basically, you can practice them on a slippery floor surface, such as laminate or parquet or even floortiles. :) Just don't get on your toes practicing them. And DONT LOOK DOWN. It helps with the balance to look ahead, instead of down. Also, keep your head still. Less chance of falling. That is, don't turn your neck in the 3-turn. Let your head move where the body does. Fixate it.

AshBugg44
04-09-2007, 03:34 PM
Don't try to force the turn with your hips.

Or with your arms! A lot of my students try to do that when they are just beginning 3-turns. They swing their arms around but it doesn't help the turn, it just throws your upper body off! :)

Team Arthritis
04-09-2007, 04:29 PM
Or with your arms! A lot of my students try to do that when they are just beginning 3-turns. They swing their arms around but it doesn't help the turn, it just throws your upper body off! :)

yeh stilllll do that when i'm tense
Lyle

liya_skatergirl
04-09-2007, 07:31 PM
thanks guys. ill be back in the rink today, and i hope i can figure out what i did wrong. *cross fingers*

lov2sk8
04-09-2007, 10:08 PM
generally when a skater tries to learn a turn whether a 1 foot turn or 2 they step on a flat. so if you are doing a 3 turn facing the hockey goal you need to point your foot in the direction of the boards to your side. when you begin the turn, don't forget to let the blade glide before your turn. wait till you are at the half circle point to do the turn.

sunjoy
04-10-2007, 03:25 AM
this entry in the recreational FS FAQ (http://stason.org/TULARC/sports/recreational-figure-skating/2-8-Forward-3-turns.html) helped me when I was learning, especially item (4). You can practice that motion in your socks on a slippy floor.

The other thing that I had trouble with was being on a flat, especially on the exit. Practice your edges by themselves first. So for an outside 3, practice a forward outside edge and, most important, a back inside edge. Get really comfortable with that back inside edge.

Then when you do the 3, remember to exit it leaning into that back inside edge.

airyfairy76
04-10-2007, 10:28 AM
Hi - I have recently finally managed to pass these on Level 6, and am now trying to get my head around the Forward Inside 3-turns for Level 7!

I actually put a thread on these forums at the time and had lots of really helpful responses as I was getting really irate with them.

3-turn frustrations (http://www.skatingforums.com/showthread.php?t=23015&highlight=3+turn)

The points that most helped me were

Keeping my free foot glued to the heel of my skating foot
Keeping my head up
Stomach pulled in and my hips "tight" - kind of tensed across my bum and my lower abdomen at the same time
Making sure that I was not leaning forward or to the side at all
Rotating from the waist, rather than just the shoulders
Controlling my arms, and also ensuring that they don't go too high. Mine are best when my hands are at about waist level
. . . and of course, bend ze knees!

Once I got the hang of it (and it did take a few painful weeks!), what blackmanskating said is absolutely true about not forcing the turn with your hips. When you do the turn, and you are properly rotated, it just feels like your skating foot is catching up with the rest of your body, rather than feeling that you are twisting your hips.

Hang on in there, it will come!

tidesong
04-10-2007, 10:59 AM
Yup and to reiterate, practise the three turn on the land! It really helps!

hepcat
04-11-2007, 04:15 PM
Ooh, I'm just going through this. I was really struggling with putting my free foot down after the turn until someone gave me the tip to trust that back inside edge on the exit. If you hit the inside edge you really do finish the curve without falling. It was counter-intuitive for me, but that's what got me over the hump.

liya_skatergirl
05-01-2007, 08:27 AM
so, we kinda got back on my three turns today. sigh.

I'm having trouble with not dropping my right leg when i turn, but I dont know why....