View Full Version : Moves in the Field

xofivebyfive
04-08-2007, 03:26 PM
I'm starting to work on the moves for the first two usfsa tests and I was just wondering what the average time was between learning the moves in a test level, and being able to test them. Obviously the time is different depending on how much you skate and how althletic you are etc.. I know that most people say the Novice MITF test is the hardest, but generally how long does one usually work on each level's moves before they are good enough to pass the test?

dbny
04-08-2007, 03:50 PM
I really don't think there is any answer to that question. Like cutting the ice, it takes as long as it takes :lol:. The only thing I can say about it is that it pretty much always takes longer than you think it will. The higher you test, the higher the standards are for passing. You can get away with scraping the three turns on the waltz-8 in Pre-Pre, but not the alternating three turns in Prelim (well, maybe a few of them). Don't even think about scraping threes in Pre-Juv.

jskater49
04-08-2007, 04:00 PM
I think you will enjoy skating more if you learn right now not to compare yourself to anyone else. Just work on what you need to work on. Obviously the first moves are easier, pre-pre is supposedly an "encouragement test" but it's still possible to fail. Some moves will be easy for you that are hard for someone else...some moves will be very challenging for you that come quickly to someone else. Some of your friends will move up quicker than you and you may surpass some others you skate with. That kind of thing can make you crazy and mar your enjoyment of skating if you let it. Focus on the skating and good luck!

j

cecealias
04-08-2007, 04:18 PM
There isn't a specific answer that will apply to your case.

Many factors are involved, including but not limited to

1) Quality of Coaching
2) Quantity and quality of ice time
3) Your ability to change and your ability to pay attention to detail.
4) Your level of physical conditioning and physical limitations.

If you have all these factors working in your favor, it generally takes about a year to pass each level. When you get to the higher levels, it may be longer. A really good coach will focus on getting you to nail the technique slowly and consistently first, and then physical conditioning to get you to test level quality. An "ok" or so-so coach will just get you the basic concept but may not condition you as intensely. This is just my basic observation.

twokidsskatemom
04-08-2007, 04:28 PM
it also depends on how ofter you have test sessions at your rink, and if your coach lets you test even if you arent ready. My daughter coach rarely has kids fail, as she really really prepares them. I have seen skaters who dont skate as well as my 7 year old take prelim and pre juv and fail.Sometimes its the coaches that push and sometimes its the parents that push!!

WannabeS8r
04-08-2007, 04:32 PM
I don't think there is a specific or average amount of time it takes to be able to test the MIF elements. However, there's a difference between being able to do the required elements in a test, and doing your best (as in competition or practice). Since you are starting to work on your moves in field, I think this would be a helpful link for you (it has the descriptions of all test levels and everything). http://www.denverfsc.org/moves/

froggy
04-08-2007, 04:49 PM
although I haven't tested yet (those waltz 8's are killing me), my coach mentioned to me that it's more than just being able to do the MITF correctly, it's knowing it so well that you can do them on "auto" b/c you never know how you may perform under pressure on a test. doing the MITF on regular ice during practice and/or lesson is very difft than test conditions. of course some of us may work better under pressure..a girl at my rink gets a bit sloppy on practice w/her jumps but in competetion she seems to nail them.

btw while learning MITF for the first test you can also learn some moves from the next tests. a lot of them are very helpful exercises for controlling edges. personally i practice some elements from adult bronze and silver (power 3's, edge pulls, power crossovers, back outside edge stroking etc.).

good luck!

cecealias
04-08-2007, 06:16 PM
... it's more than just being able to do the MITF correctly, it's knowing it so well that you can do them on "auto" b/c you never know how you may perform under pressure on a test.

Froggy is Right-ON about this one. After having taken many MITF tests, ITA that the tests are really is about Mastery of the move when you go to test.

A lot of people think that just being able to "do the move" is sufficient to pass but that is totally the wrong mindset.

Remember that learning and testing the MITF is about buildling a solid skating foundation.

When you have solid MITF, the Spins/Jumps you develop will be so much stronger than if you didn't have good solid edges to rely on.

xofivebyfive
04-08-2007, 07:27 PM
Thanks for the insight everybody.

WhisperSung
04-08-2007, 10:47 PM
What I've noticed, too, especially after I hit a brick wall on Novice MiTF, is that once you reach a certain level, it's not enough just to skate them proficiently; the judges want confidence. I should know. I took my Novice MiTF 10 times and each time I failed they just said nothing in particular was wrong; I just lacked confidence and the performance aspect. On the tenth try, I smiled a bunch at the end of each move, and voila! Passed!

(Of course by then I'd been on them for 5 years, so I knew them to a T and *did* feel pretty confident about my ability to pass them ;))

Thin-Ice
04-09-2007, 03:27 AM
I don't think there is a specific or average amount of time it takes to be able to test the MIF elements. However, there's a difference between being able to do the required elements in a test, and doing your best (as in competition or practice). Since you are starting to work on your moves in field, I think this would be a helpful link for you (it has the descriptions of all test levels and everything). http://www.denverfsc.org/moves/

Thanks WannabeS8r! This is a GREAT chart!

BatikatII
04-09-2007, 04:42 AM
What I've noticed, too, especially after I hit a brick wall on Novice MiTF, is that once you reach a certain level, it's not enough just to skate them proficiently; the judges want confidence. I should know. I took my Novice MiTF 10 times and each time I failed they just said nothing in particular was wrong; I just lacked confidence and the performance aspect. On the tenth try, I smiled a bunch at the end of each move, and voila! Passed!

(Of course by then I'd been on them for 5 years, so I knew them to a T and *did* feel pretty confident about my ability to pass them ;))

Totally agree that you have to look confident on the tests. At recent tests a skater who I know can do the moves in her sleep failed because she goes out looking like she is not trying. She doesn't look like she is doing them strongly or confidently even though they are correct moves. Another who is not nearly as good on the moves but looked strong and confident on those she could do well was given several retries to get the one she wasn't very good at up to a passing standard and passed.

Of course it helps if you are confident because you know that you can do them but otherwise a little faking goes a long way!

Plus of course it depends how much time you spend on them. I improved one of my moves tests amazingly in 3 weeks but that was because I knew I only had one shot at them (tests changing), so I skated an hour a day just on moves and had 3 or 4 half hour lessons a week, primarily on moves for those 3 weeks. Couldn't keep that up for long though! My basic skating improved fantastically in that time!

kateskate
04-09-2007, 09:21 AM
Totally agree that you have to look confident on the tests. At recent tests a skater who I know can do the moves in her sleep failed because she goes out looking like she is not trying. She doesn't look like she is doing them strongly or confidently even though they are correct moves. Another who is not nearly as good on the moves but looked strong and confident on those she could do well was given several retries to get the one she wasn't very good at up to a passing standard and passed.

Totally agree. I failed a MITF test. Another girl passed who skated the actual moves no better than me and, in fact, some of them were not as good as I was feet wise, but she looked, overall, a much more confident skater. She was above passing standard no question but I shouldn't have failed but did because of what was, I'm sure, an overall impression. I passed the test a few weeks on, skating the actual moves the same, but with improved carriage and confidence. Coach focused on presenting each edge and smilling and looking confident. Made the world of difference.

jskater49
04-09-2007, 09:27 AM
Totally agree. I failed a MITF test. Another girl passed who skated the actual moves no better than me and, in fact, some of them were not as good as I was feet wise, but she looked, overall, a much more confident skater. She was above passing standard no question but I shouldn't have failed but did because of what was, I'm sure, an overall impression. I passed the test a few weeks on, skating the actual moves the same, but with improved carriage and confidence. Coach focused on presenting each edge and smilling and looking confident. Made the world of difference.

I remember trail judging a pre-juv moves test. One girl, on the back peremiter crossovers consistently put her foot on an outside edge and then would roll over to an inside edge. Definate no - no. But she was fast, had beautiful upper body carraige and looked like she knew what she was doing. I failed the move. None of the other judges did. Another girl did the move perfect, but she didn't have good posture and had her head down. I passed her. None of the real judges did. It was a very interesting education for me as a skater ....if not a judge ;)

j

cecealias
04-09-2007, 12:43 PM
There is another reason for confidence - it actually makes the move technically easier to skate, if you can believe it or not. When you're more confident you'll n naturally have better posture, extension and toe-point.

I see lots of skaters who are super-hesistant in skating a new move or jump and they don't "make the jump" or the move is wobbly and scratchy because their posture slumps, they don't extend and this all starts in their heads ---- with the lack of confidence in their minds ---- that they won't be able to execute the element.