View Full Version : Need help on Double Loops!!

cutiesk8r43
04-07-2007, 07:50 PM
ok so my coach is trying to get me to attempt a double loop. well..... its not really working, so i was wondering if anybody has any tips or techniques that help them land the loop or getting the feel of the jump.

Thanx in advance :)
~cutie;)

WhisperSung
04-07-2007, 11:31 PM
My coach used to have me do back scratch spins and jump into the double loop that way. I HATED that.

Really, I don't know what current issues you're having with the jump, so I can't be very specific. For me, I have to remind myself not to pre-rotate my arms and make sure I cross my feet before taking off (I like to take off before my legs are crossed, resulting in a ridiculous wrap).

vesperholly
04-08-2007, 04:12 AM
Bend your free leg during the takeoff, and lift it UP. Keep it crossed in front of you, and turn your free foot in.

Sessy
04-08-2007, 07:17 AM
My coach used to have me do back scratch spins and jump into the double loop that way. I HATED that.

They make us do that as soon as we land our single loop 3/4s. It does help though. I used to spread out all the way in the air and now I keep in tight.

2loop2loop
04-08-2007, 08:20 AM
I landed mine first time from an axel-2loop combination. I've known several other skaters who have done it first time from a loop-2loop combination.

larsa_skater2
04-08-2007, 07:07 PM
ok so my coach is trying to get me to attempt a double loop. well..... its not really working, so i was wondering if anybody has any tips or techniques that help them land the loop or getting the feel of the jump.

Thanx in advance :)
~cutie;)

When working on the double loop you got to just be completley over top of your one side (right if you jump counter clockwise, left if you jump clockwise) not so much that your flopped over but controlled, remember to jump up, and do an "H" position with your free leg, and then snap in. Timing is really important on this jump! Good luck
:D

blisspix
04-09-2007, 10:34 PM
I landed mine first time from an axel-2loop combination. I've known several other skaters who have done it first time from a loop-2loop combination.

Agree with this - single/double combo is the way to go because your foot is in front, you are on a good edge, and you need to learn to wrap quicker. My preference is for flip/2loop, with a lot of off ice practice too.

xofivebyfive
04-10-2007, 01:42 PM
Can someone please enlighten me as to what an H position with your leg looks like? I just can't picture it.

cecealias
04-10-2007, 05:35 PM
"H" Position is like "h" - like the single loop position or open backspin position.

hitting that point in midair before pulling in your arms and pushing the free leg down is *really* critical to getting a nice looking double loop instead of a teeny tiny spinny thing

vesperholly
04-11-2007, 02:31 AM
Can someone please enlighten me as to what an H position with your leg looks like? I just can't picture it.
It's where your free leg's knee is bent at a 90 degree angle. Your thigh should be parallel to the floor, and your lower leg perpendicular.

A little like this, but with your knee lower and leg straight: (not the arm positions!)
http://homemakers.com/upload/HomeMakers/pool/water51670.jpg

xofivebyfive
04-11-2007, 12:13 PM
Thank you! I keep reading about the h position and I've been so confused.

blackmanskating
04-12-2007, 05:02 PM
I just knew today was going to be a good day on the ice. I landed my double loop from a back scratch. I fell like crazy on the first 4 tries, but on the 5th attempt, something just clicked. If you skate CCW do not pre-rotate your upper body by turning your left shoulder. Keep your left shoulder in front of you during the entire jump. It was a good feeling to land that jump.

blackmanskating
04-12-2007, 05:03 PM
I just knew today was going to be a good day on the ice. I landed my double loop from a back scratch. I fell like crazy on the first 4 tries, but on the 5th attempt, something just clicked. If you skate CCW do not pre-rotate your upper body by opening up your left shoulder. Keep your left shoulder in front of you during the entire jump. It was a good feeling to land that jump.

xofivebyfive
04-12-2007, 05:18 PM
CONGRATS! That must feel awesome!

jskater49
04-12-2007, 08:10 PM
I asked my daughter - her 2 loop is one of her most consistent doubles - she agrees on the loop/double loop and says to make sure when you cross your feet that your feet are very close together - don't let one get away!

j

blackmanskating
04-12-2007, 08:14 PM
Thank you FiveByFive!!!!!

Mrs Redboots
04-13-2007, 11:04 AM
Congratulations! May it be the first of many.