View Full Version : Very painful foot problem

samba
04-07-2007, 09:13 AM
I have looked on the website to see if there is anything to match these symptoms but can only find one that sounds anything like it.

I have had pains in the ball of my right foot on and off for some years and it is permanently swollen. just recently the other foot has become the same but with a new problem, the toes on both feet get sudden pains in them that are so bad it feels like they are being snapped in two it was so bad last night that I screamed with the pain:cry: I strugged through the supermarket to-day to get the shopping done and now I just cant walk properly at all.

The strange thing is that it doesnt hurt when I skate, the only reason that I can think of is that the foot doesnt bend in the boot so much.

I can find no-one that has had similar problems and after the Easter break I will be visiting the doctor but I am curious as to what it might be.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Samba

blue111moon
04-07-2007, 10:45 AM
Could be Morton's Neuroma. I have them in both feet - basically the nerves are squashed between the knobby bones and inflamed. I had two removed from my right foot a couple years ago when the pain got so bad I couldn't step on any hard surface. The remaining ones aren't that bad so I mostly ignore them - and avoid shoes without cushy soles.

Morgail
04-07-2007, 10:13 PM
Ditto the Morton's Neuroma. I think I have one in my left foot (which has been permenantly swollen for about 4 years). Off and on, I get pain in the ball of my foot, in my big toe, and a burning sensation that stretches from just under the toes up to the bottom of the ankle. I think mine is caused by a combination of flat feet and a love for strappy heels:)

Unfortunately, I've started getting the same pains in my right foot, so I should probably go and get it properly diagnosed and taken care of.

Let us know what your doctor says...I'm curious to hear if it is a Morton's Neuroma.

samba
04-08-2007, 01:52 AM
Hi blue111moon and Morgail,

I have had a look at the name on Google and it certainly sounds like Morton's Neuroma, cool name, not so cool condition.
Funnily enough, it feels fine this morning but I know once I move around it will flare up again so I will see the doc and let you know what happens.

Thanks for your help
Samba

flo
04-08-2007, 12:43 PM
sesmoiditis. I got it from by lemon boots.

1lutz2klutz
04-08-2007, 07:56 PM
An easy test to check for a Morton's neuroma is to squeeze across the "knuckle" of the toes, as if you were trying to squish the big toe and the little toe together. Since a neuroma is a growth on the nerve that travels between the bones (usually between the 2nd and 3rd or the 3rd and 4th toes), pressure across the foot compresses the nerve and will give a sharp pain. Morton's neuroma also usually causes numbness/tingling in the 3rd and 4th toes.

Pain that travels from the ball of the foot backward toward the ankle can be coming from plantar fasciitis, an irritation of the soft tissue that supports the arch of the foot. Symptoms include pain on initial weightbearing in the morning or after you've been sitting for a while. I had a severe case that ended up tearing the achilles tendon from its insertion at the heel and ended up in a cast boot for 6 weeks. I didn't recognize the symptoms as coming from my skating because that was usually the time it didn't hurt.

rlichtefeld
04-08-2007, 09:34 PM
Visit a podiatrist and they can tell you what's going on.

I seem to have Morton's Neuromas in both feet. When really bad, they have shooting pains from end of toes to ball of feet. When they are OK, then can't walk on hardwood floors or stand in shower. However, skating doesn't seem to make them any worse than not skating.

Adding insoles with metatarsal pads may help, but they didn't with me.

Last year, my podiatrist injected cortisone and lidocaine, and life was bliss. However, this year, the same injections don't seem to be helping.

See the podiatrist. Ask other skaters at the rink. One or more of them will have been to a pod.

Rob

Isk8NYC
04-08-2007, 09:48 PM
I mentioned that I had been under treatment by a podiatrist to someone in the skate business and their reply was to instead have gone to a Sports Medicine Orthopedist. Since the deed (and injections/inserts) were done, I didn't pursue the conversation further, but I wonder why he made that suggestion? Maybe because I coach?

Michigansk8er
04-09-2007, 04:03 PM
I just had surgery on my right foot for a similar problem (I'll be hobbling around at AN on my scooter). Mine involved a tear in the tendon, and restricted blood flow in my forefoot. I hear you on the pain and not being able to walk properly. My left foot responded to conservative treatment (injections and splinting my toes), thankfully, but the right foot got to a certain point and that was it. I hope you can find a good doctor and non-surgical solution. I see at podiatrist that is in a practice with my Sports Medicine Orthopedist. Still waiting to see if the surgery helped.

dbny
04-09-2007, 07:48 PM
I mentioned that I had been under treatment by a podiatrist to someone in the skate business and their reply was to instead have gone to a Sports Medicine Orthopedist. Since the deed (and injections/inserts) were done, I didn't pursue the conversation further, but I wonder why he made that suggestion? Maybe because I coach?

I think more likely it's that most podiatrists don't have that much experience with skaters. I know mine didn't, and she came highly recommended otherwise.

samba
04-13-2007, 12:13 PM
Well I saw the doctor yesterday and she is arranging for me to have an x-ray so we will have to take it from there, I personally dont think its anything to do with my bones, I still think it's Morton's but I guess she has to cover all odds before poking around.

samba
05-02-2007, 11:40 AM
Got the results of the x-rays, she's says there is damage to the metatarsal (think that's how it's spelt) so she is going to refer me to an orthopaedic surgeon to have a look at it, I still think you guys are right and that its Mortons but what do I know.

Thanks
Samba