View Full Version : Next Competition

jskater49
04-06-2007, 05:42 PM
So the next competition my daughter is going to is in June in Braemer-where Adult Midwesterns was. I see they have a Moves competition. They also insist you compete at the same level for every event, and I was thinking it would be silly for me to compete pre-bronze moves and then I see they don't even have a pre-bronze freestyle event. So I think I'll sign up just for Bronze moves. It will be good to give me a short term goal to work towards since these suckers aren't going to be test ready for quite a while. You find out what two moves you are competing after you get there. With my luck it will surely be the mohawks!:roll:

j

Debbie S
04-06-2007, 08:23 PM
You find out what two moves you are competing after you get there. With my luck it will surely be the mohawks!:roll: What?!!! 8O At the MIF competitions I've done (and seen in announcements), the moves are always listed in advance, just like the CM elements and spins in the Spin events - how else can you prepare for the competition? :roll:

I admire your courage, jskater. :) Good luck - I'm sure you'll do great! Just keep in mind that it's likely the other competitors will have passed Bronze MIF, so don't use your placement as an indication of how test-ready you are.

(I got my butt kicked in Bronze MIF at NYI 2 years in a row, and this year, I "moved up" to getting my butt kicked in Silver MIF :oops: :) I could have done Bronze MIF again and possibly medaled, but hey, what fun would that be? :lol: )

jskater49
04-06-2007, 09:11 PM
What?!!! 8O At the MIF competitions I've done (and seen in announcements), the moves are always listed in advance, just like the CM elements and spins in the Spin events - how else can you prepare for the competition? :roll: )

I've never done a Moves comp - It does seem rather challenging to find out at the warm up which ones to do--I guess they figure you should be working on all of them! This is good for me, because if I knew in advance it was the mohawks, I probably wouldn't sign up, this way I have to work on them and go out and give it my best.

I admire your courage, jskater. :) Good luck - I'm sure you'll do great! Just keep in mind that it's likely the other competitors will have passed Bronze MIF, so don't use your placement as an indication of how test-ready you are.

Oh I'm just signing up to give me motivation to work on my moves so I don't make a fool of myself. I do think it is too bad they won't let you compete at different levels than your freestyle - especially for moves. My daughter skates intermediate and is working on her novice moves, she's not going to waste time going back to intermediate moves. Probably most of the bronze folk would compete silver moves if they could because that's what they are working on.

(I got my butt kicked in Bronze MIF at NYI 2 years in a row, and this year, I "moved up" to getting my butt kicked in Silver MIF :oops: :) I could have done Bronze MIF again and possibly medaled, but hey, what fun would that be? :lol: )

There's a competition in January I've done pre-bronze compulsary two years in a row...my goal next year is to do bronze compulsary (they let you compete different levels for different events) because I don't need to be working on a two foot spin. But for me competitions are ways to make me work, not opportunities to collect medals, although that's certainly fun.

j

techskater
04-07-2007, 08:58 AM
Hey, where is the announcement and when is Braemer? I'd be interested in doing it if I could plan!

jskater49
04-07-2007, 11:55 AM
Hey, where is the announcement and when is Braemer? I'd be interested in doing it if I could plan!

June 22-24

Not sure if this will work bu this is the link
http://www.braemarfsc.org/UploadedDocs/2007%20McCandless%20Full%20Registration%20Packet.p df

jskater49
04-07-2007, 11:57 AM
I'm thinking I'm going to do freestyle at Bronze...it's only $20 for another event, I get my butt kicked at prebronze, I could just as easily get my but kicked at Bronze.

:P

j

techskater
04-07-2007, 05:35 PM
June 22-24

Not sure if this will work bu this is the link
http://www.braemarfsc.org/UploadedDocs/2007%20McCandless%20Full%20Registration%20Packet.p df

Too bad, it's the same time as Grand Rapids Open, which is my friend's club!

jskater49
04-08-2007, 08:28 PM
Well darn, I guess we aren't going to Braemer. It's kind of majority rules, of all the students of the coach and I thought everyone was going to Braemer, but I guess the consensus was two weeks earlier at Quad Cities...that's okay too, that has an adult pre-bronze spins and jumps events with spins and jumps I can actually do...

j