View Full Version : changes in novice moves

emma
04-05-2007, 10:28 AM
Hi all. Has anyone heard about changes to Novice moves coming in September 2007? Surely they can not make this test longer so I assume they are replacing one move for another. Any info would be very helpful as I am working on these and may not be ready to test until that time. Thanks

Summerkid710
04-05-2007, 10:31 AM
I don't have anything but gossip but I heard that twizzle patterns will be added to the higher level tests. This is what I heard through the grapevine. Maybe someone else knows more...

techskater
04-05-2007, 10:41 AM
I understood they were making modifications to the current tests Novice-Senior to include elements that increase the level of footwork (such as possibly twizzles between the counters) and that (according to some coaches who saw the video of the new proposed patterns) make the tests UGLY to learn compared to their existing counterparts.

jskater49
04-05-2007, 11:29 AM
Hmmmm...maybe this will motivate my daughter. She's put these on the back burner after failing for the third time. I'd like to see her pass Novice by Sept because the USFSA will write a nice letter for her school to hand out on Senior awards night

j

coskater64
04-05-2007, 01:23 PM
Last year I saw what they were coming up with and it was twizzle heavy for Nov - Sr. but once again, until they pass Governing Council in May they aren't a done deal. Look for a notice in mid may that will state the changes on the US figure skating web site and if it will affect adults or not, there are several things going forward at GC.

silverbeetle
04-05-2007, 01:50 PM
so essentially, take the test now (before Sept) before they mess with it. It looks like i'm going to have to refocus on Novice following AN.

figskate

WhisperSung
04-05-2007, 07:07 PM
Makes me incredibly glad I passed Novice next year. Just PRAYING that they don't move a Novice element up into Junior. I took that stupid Novice test 10 times before passing and would like not to have to relive it (sort of like when they moved the bracket-3-brackets from Intermediate to Novice. . .had to pass them twice! :x).

Maybe I should take a stab at Junior Moves before the summer and get those out of the way before they start messing with the moves tests. I'm just jealous of the kids at our rink who are already done with moves and won't have to deal with any possible changes being made!

lovepairs
04-05-2007, 07:35 PM
TWIZZLES IN BETWEEN THE COUNTERS!!!???*_)(&_(^*(&%^&^*$^*&%^(*&()&(*%&^%
JUST HAND OVER THE GUN, SO I CAN SHOOT MYSELF NOW!

manleywoman
04-05-2007, 08:13 PM
if this passes at GC, when would it go into effect?

Stormy
04-05-2007, 09:15 PM
Ditto with lovepairs. I'm also going to have to refocus on Novice after ANs and really REALLY work on them. I wanted to test them before the end of the year anyways. :giveup:

cecealias
04-05-2007, 09:33 PM
Anybody have a link to the discussions that have been happening at GC?

Maybe I am weird but i'm all for adding more difficulty -- twizzles are cool , and i'm a sucker for more challenges.

The way I see it, the more difficult the challenge, the more motivation I have AND the better a skater I become.

Bring it on!!

Thin-Ice
04-06-2007, 02:58 AM
if this passes at GC, when would it go into effect?

Anything that passes at May's Governing Council goes into effect on September 1st of the same year... unless it's an "emergency action"... then it goes into effect immediately. Hard to imagine a change in MITF would be considered an "emergency".:lol:

lovepairs
04-06-2007, 04:25 AM
cecealias,

You're a masacist! LOL!!! I mean, I like twizzles, too, and can do them...okay, maybe you're right...maybe it will be fun (always look on the bright side of life...sing along!) But, I like my little rollercoster ride on the lobe right after the counters...then I have to do a Twizzle??? How many turns on the Twizzle before the undercut? I mean, do they have to be high speed, Belbin and Agusto Twizzles, or can they be "geriatric" Twizzles??? 8O

Team Arthritis
04-06-2007, 08:42 AM
hey cecealias if you want a challenge try the Canadian Jr? pattern "snakes and ladders", very cool. Talked to an International judge who thought that that was the most interesting moves pattern in the world!
Lyle

Isk8NYC
04-06-2007, 08:48 AM
Lyle - Share, Share!

We could make it a SF Summer Project for all our skaters!

Team Arthritis
04-06-2007, 09:58 AM
Lyle - Share, Share!

We could make it a SF Summer Project for all our skaters!

ARRGGHH, you have to be a member now of canskate to get to the patterns now! Shoot, I'll see if I can dig up the pattern from somewhere. MEANWHILE any canadian skaters care to post this pattern?

Basicly its all 8 figure loops down the sides and bracket 3 brackets across the ends.:roll:
Lyle