View Full Version : Any rumors about ProFlex?

Rusty Blades
04-05-2007, 09:56 AM
Has anybody heard anything about Jackson ProFlex availability?

Jackson hasn't responded to me or my dealer about the availability of ProFlex right now and my dealer says the ProFlex isn't in this year's price list. (I need custom boots so I can't just buy "off the shelf".)

I know they were having trouble with the top closure in the first year's production and the dealers were being told "sell them anyway" but I am wondering if the ProFlex has been temporarily withdrawn while they address the closure issue?

refuse to quit skating and can't stand not having enough bend, it seems to delay healing of the sprain. If I can't get my hands on a pair of ProFlex soon, I am going to take an old pair of boots and an ankle brace out to the workshop and do my own version!!! 8O ]

Team Arthritis
04-05-2007, 11:04 AM
I'll try to look up her name, but when I ordered my boots, there was only one lady there who really seemed to have the answers. The hockey guys that often get the phone just don't know about figure skates.
Lyle

Virtualsk8r
04-05-2007, 11:36 AM
It takes at least 8 weeks for a pair of proflex customs .....the new closure is much better than the old one, but the only difficulty is that the tongue tends to get sliced by the wires and then have to be replaced ( a bit of a process because the boots have to go to Jackson in Waterloo, Ontario).

The boots have lots of support in the ankle area. In fact, because the articulated joint bends with the skater rather than pushes against as in the leather standard boots - there is more support around the 'sprained ankle' area than in standard boots.

Just be prepared to take some time getting used to the increased flexion and the balance on the blade issue. If you haven't done any doubles or such - it should take you less time. And spinning is a bit different too! Sit spins are really easy.

Call Jackson yourself and ask for Debbie Thomas. There is also a guy there, but I forget his name. They are located in Waterloo, Ontario.....

flo
04-05-2007, 12:35 PM
Rusty - Jackson also makes a dance boot that is cut lower - one less hook. It may be an option for you. I'm getting a dace boot for fs, as I get the scallops put in anyway and need the lower cut back and flexibility. They come in the same stiffness levels as fs boots.

Rusty Blades
04-05-2007, 01:19 PM
Yes, Deb is the one I left a message for (I was just avoiding mentioning her name on a public forum ;) ) and I don't know if that's the same person my supplier left a message for. Anyway, still no word and it is a holiday weekend in Canada so nothing until next week I guess.

I considered a low-cut boot or a much softer boot but I would need enough room to fit my ankle brace inside so I end up with custom anyway. I even rummaged through my supplier's basement at lunch time and found some old style boots (with lighter leather) but nothing even close to my size. :cry:

Virt: I know it is supposed to take 6 to 8 weeks for customs but Jackson did my present customs in 4 weeks last spring. I guess the demand drops of toward summer.

I did have a close look at a ProFlex while I was at the supplier's and it looks like just the ticket! I am not doing ANY jumps (yet) and just starting on spins, so I don't think adjustment would be a problem. I LOVE my DEEP edges and it bugs me something fierce when I can't get enough knee so I am really lusting after those ProFlex! Given the choice of A) quit skating for 2 months to let the ankle heal or, B) continue physio indefinitely, I guess I will be seeing a lot of my therapist 8O - LOL! Coach suggested I compete again in August so two months off has the same appeal as a root canal! :roll:

flo
04-05-2007, 01:30 PM
How long will you be wearig the brace? Is this a permanent thing?

Virtualsk8r
04-05-2007, 02:11 PM
The proflex are made on a different run than regular Jackson's, I think in part because they are so different. In fact, I believe they are marketed as PROFLEX, not as strictly Jackson boots. The newly designed version came out last May and they have 2 wires crossing over instead of just one and the back knob is slightly different). I was told recently that it would be a good couple of months to get another pair.

There was talk originally, of a lower-end Proflex boot for skaters such as yourself. The logic was that if skaters started out in with the new technology, they would stick with it for life (with fewer injuries and at a lower cost). The current boot was designed for elite skaters and the force that they take on their bodies.

There are design flaws, however, that you should be aware of. The wires can dislodge - haven't had that happen yet (although it is apparently 'easy' to thread them back in if you have the time); the tongue can rip across the ankle, leaving you holding the two pieces of tongue attached to the wires; and the worst problem is the large knob at the back for tightening the wires. Be prepared for massive bruises if you jump or spin -- double axels are the worst because you pull in so quickly with great force....and sometimes certain spins!!!!

Have you tried phoning around to the larger city skate shops - like the Figure Skating Boutique in Toronto or Figure 8 in Ottawa? Skaters Edge in Newmarket is another that had the boots at one time.

Rusty Blades
04-05-2007, 02:25 PM
I just heard from Jackson moments ago .... the ProFlex IS in current production and IS available in a custom boot. I called my supplier and go to get measured Saturday :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Flo: I don't know how long I would require the brace. My therapist said that, for "normal people" a Class 3 sprain heals in about 6 weeks but for me, she didn't know - she said she has never treated anyone who skates as often as I do and refuses to quit :roll:

Virt: I work in engineering and have a well equipped shop but I don't know squat about boot-making. If/when I can get my hands on a pair of ProFlex, I am sure I can keep them running ;)

Best part is that my therapist is prepared to "write a prescription" for the boots if they will protect my ankle and that gets a large part of the cost covered under my health insurance plan :twisted:

dbny
04-05-2007, 02:45 PM
Best part is that my therapist is prepared to "write a prescription" for the boots if they will protect my ankle and that gets a large part of the cost covered under my health insurance plan :twisted:

Just a note of caution here about insurance paying. Even if you have a prescription, your insurance company could refuse to pay, especially if they see skating as nothing more than recreation. Another possible problem is that many insurance companies will only pay what they consider a "reasonable" amount. The doctors and suppliers that are in their network agree to accept that as payment in full or payment with a small copay, but "outsiders" can demand any payment they choose, leaving you to pay the difference between the insurance company's "reasonable" amount and the supplier's price. Have you checked with your insurance company about this specifically?

Rusty Blades
04-05-2007, 02:59 PM
The doctors and suppliers that are in their network .... Have you checked with your insurance company about this specifically?

Things are a little different here in Canada and with "private extended health" plans. There are various options for covering all or part of the cost including a "sponsor" that I haven't tapped into yet.

Bottom line is that I am doing this FOR ME and will pay the whole shot if I have to. If somebody is willing to pay part of it, I am not going to argue 8-)

dbny
04-05-2007, 03:11 PM
Things are a little different here in Canada and with "private extended health" plans. There are various options for covering all or part of the cost including a "sponsor" that I haven't tapped into yet.

Bottom line is that I am doing this FOR ME and will pay the whole shot if I have to. If somebody is willing to pay part of it, I am not going to argue 8-)

Whoops! I forgot you are in Canada, where the drug companies and second and third party providers are not allowed to rob you blind for basic health care. I won't go back to my podiatrist because even though she is listed with my insurance company, and they assured me they pay 100% for prescription orthotics, she tried to shake me down for $400! As a coach, I get a break on my boots with Klingbeil, and can put them down as an expense on taxes, but it's still enough to give me pause before getting a new pair.

flo
04-05-2007, 04:06 PM
So you will need a boot to fit with and without the brace?
Take time to heal or no boot will ever work!

Virtualsk8r
04-05-2007, 09:38 PM
Good news! Proflex customs can adjust for narrower feet or wider feet. However, if you do need orthotics they fit nicely into the skates and make a big difference. Mine were about $300+ and really made a different with knee and ankle alignment.

The wires can be replaced by lifting off the back flap that is glued down and popping the knob at the back somehow. The guys at Jackson told me it was just a matter of threading the wire through -- but I don't want to be standing at the boards during a competition to find out!!

PS Can I change to your insurance carrier? Mine doesn't even cover orthotics with a sports medicine doctor's prescription, so I don't think that boots would slip by. Funny thing though - if I order foreign made skates as Boots: orthotic - there is no customs duty. hmmmm.

Rusty Blades
04-06-2007, 04:42 AM
Good news! Proflex customs can adjust for narrower feet or wider feet.

8-) Yup! I have "duck feet" - narrow heel and wide toes. That's one of the reasons I stick with Jacksons.

However, if you do need orthotics they fit nicely into the skates and make a big difference.

Fortunately I don't need those - just enough lateral support of the ankle without limiting knee-bend.

The guys at Jackson told me it was just a matter of threading the wire through -- but I don't want to be standing at the boards during a competition to find out!!

Good point! I'll make it a point to throw a roll of white medical tape in my skate bag in case I ever have a mechanical breakdown at a critical time.

PS Can I change to your insurance carrier?

Sure, but you will have to move to Manitoba and get a government job - LOL! It is good coverage but I wont be able to afford it when I retire.

Virtualsk8r
04-06-2007, 10:31 AM
Medical tape doesn't work as well as white duct tape....you can get it at Canadian Tire or Home Depot. Silver duct tape works in a pinch, but I can tell you from experience (having used it at nationals) the white looks much nicer!

In the meantime while you wait for your new boots -- try duct-taping the ankles of your old skates. Much like taping an ankle sprain, you use strips of duct tape down the back spine, then overlap strips around the boot, starting at the hooks on one side and pull the tape around to the other hooks. Try taping on a bit of a diagonal and then overlap with horizontal.

I've done this with a few skaters and it has made a difference. Also, new laces help increase support. If you have to wait for a while, try replacing the tongue. This can generally be done in a few days at a shoe repair shop...and boy does the new tongue really make a difference in the support!