View Full Version : Coaches Insurance

Isk8NYC
04-04-2007, 11:30 AM
Time for my annual reminder ...

Is Your Coaches' Liability Insurance Policy Up-to-Date?

PSA policies (https://appsrv4.amerspec.com/pls/portal/PROFSKATE.ENTRANCE.show) expire on 4/30/2007. Their 2007-2008 policy runs to July 1, 2008. (14 month policy) The cost is $95.

USFSA policies (http://www.usfigureskating.org/Clubs.asp?id=239) expire on 6/30/2007, as do Individual Memberships.
Renewal is $120 for a 12 month policy expiring 6/30/2008.

ISI policies (http://skateisi.org/pdf/insuranceforpdf.pdf) expire on 8/31/2007. They don't have the 2007-2008 info online as yet. Last year's policy was $95.

The USFSA Learn-to-Skate (LTS) program requires the skating school to register instructors in order to provide liability insurance during that session. (For private lessons, you must have private insurance.)

For ISI LTS programs, I think you have to be an Associate/Professional member of the ISI.
I'm not sure if the insurance covers you or if you have to provide your own coverage. Hmmmm.

UDsk8coach
04-09-2007, 09:42 AM
Thanks for keeping me up to date!! I always forget about these things til the last minute... Thank goodness we can renew online w PSA, SO HELPFUL!!

Thanks again!

Virtualsk8r
04-09-2007, 07:17 PM
Just curious.....I notice that you have 3 different associations offering coaching insurance....PSA ISI and USFSA.

Do you have to buy insurance from all three bodies or just from USFSA?

In Canada, coaches get liability insurance from Skate Canada when they renew membership every Sept. 1 - and can't step on the ice or be at the boards during competitions without the current membership sticker on their 'dog tags' (plastic photo ID that shows coaching certification levels) that must be worn around necks at all events. And they can't get the sticker unless first aid is current and a clear Skate Canada police check done every 3 years.

Do US coaches have to undergo mandatory police checks too?

dbny
04-09-2007, 08:05 PM
We only have to have insurance from one organization. Coaches who teach only group lessons are insured by the sponsoring organization, either USFS or ISI, but only for the group lessons, not for any private lessons they may give. Requirements for coaching certification (which would be from the PSA) depend entirely on the arena or skating school, and many have none. There are no police checks of coaches in the US.

Isk8NYC
04-10-2007, 03:48 AM
Just curious.....I notice that you have 3 different associations offering coaching insurance....PSA ISI and USFSA.

Do you have to buy insurance from all three bodies or just from USFSA?You can buy the insurance from ANY of those sources, which is why I research all three options every year, to compare coverages and prices. You don't have to carry multiple policies. However, some rinks require that you provide them with an "additional insured" policy. Same cost, just that you get a certificate with their name on it - I don't think it's any additional coverage. :roll:

For group lessons, the USFSA requires that all instructors be registered with the Basic Skills program, which includes insurance coverage for those lessons. The ISI group lesson program doesn't address the insurance, other than to require that instructors be Associate Members of the organization. It might be bundled in with the administrative fee, however.

As DBNY pointed out, private lessons are what require the insurance policy. Most rinks/skating schools ask for a copy of your certificate and (often) a resume and/or a personnel form.

The PSA insurance is universal, but you have to be a PSA member. Some rinks require PSA membership, others don't care at all. The USFSA passed a rule that says higher-level skaters' coaches have to be PSA members in order to coach at competitions. That increased the membership and added credibility to the organization. Still, for some instructors, the USFSA policy was better.

Do US coaches have to undergo mandatory police checks too?Some rinks have smart managers and skating directors who do background checks in the way of calling former employers, verifying test/competition claims, and talking to current students. Municipal rinks, such as those run by Parks Departments, do background checks on their employees. However, many skating instructors/coaches are NOT employees - they're considered "Independent Contractors." So, no one bothers.

Which is probably why our insurance now includes a "Sexual Misconduct" rider. Better safe than sorry.

UDsk8coach
04-11-2007, 11:21 AM
Its sad, I've taught at 5+ rinks and there was never any check on my "teaching" record... they went on my reputation and word of mouth, which is nice, but still....

I hope one day all rinks require private coaches to be PSA RATED members, I think it would bring the level of coaching up CONSIDERABLY at some places. I see FAR too many unqualified people setting foot on the ice and calling themselves a coach, and uninformed parents gladly taking lessons from them because they are less expensive than those of us w/ years of experience and PSA knowledge under our belt. The saying goes, "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!"

Just my rant ;)

Virtualsk8r
04-11-2007, 12:28 PM
Good rant!!! With the price that US coaches charge, one would expect some sort of mandatory certificaton system so that parents could make comparisions. The price of coaching in Canada, in major centres, ranges from about $8-10 per 15 minutes for a Level 1 coach - to about $13-$22 per 15 minutes for a Level 4 coach. (that's in cdn$$)

In Canada, all coaches who work in Skate Canada clubs and therefore with competitive and test skaters alike - must be certified by the National Coaching Asssociation Certification Program. Coaches in all sports are certified by this national body, starting with Level 1 for learn-to-skate and preliminary level tests, up to Level 5, which few coaches ever need. Level 3 is needed for coaches of Novice - Senior level competitive skaters, and Level 4 is required for Olympics. The certification is a combination of personal test levels, course participation and assignments and practical coaching hours with certain tests passed by your skaters. Compentency based certification.

I know a few former Canadian champions, and others - who refused to go through the certification process so they could teach in Canada, and have set up shop in the US instead........

Not everyone who is a champion knows how to coach -- and not every coach of a champion--was a champion. It's all in the understanding of the science of coaching that matters and whether you can translate that into skill acquisition by your athletes.

Mrs Redboots
04-12-2007, 10:07 AM
Indeed, we have a similar system in the UK. I am still faintly flabbergasted by the way anybody can call themselves a coach in the USA, even people who can't skate. And am surprised as the USFSA for allowing it!

Isk8NYC
04-12-2007, 12:48 PM
I hope one day all rinks require private coaches to be PSA RATED members, I think it would bring the level of coaching up CONSIDERABLY at some places. While we're ranting: why does it have to be the PSA? They're very expensive and frankly, their in-person seminars are mostly geared toward high-level coaches. Someone on this Board (Phoenix, maybe?) had taken an online course and didn't learn what she expected to learn. The 'solution' to not addressing lower-level coaches in PSA seminars is to sell the apprentice program, another expensive option that doesn't guarantee anything since the apprenticeship is only as good as the mentor. (I know someone who was a mentor and it was a disaster, but the apprentice still received credit. Woo Hoo!)

I took and passed the PSA Basic Accredidation test last year, but I was very disappointed at the contents of the test and felt that the study guide didn't address half the questions. For example: tracings were gone over, quite competently, five minutes before the test. There was nothing in the study guide whatsoever about tracings, yet they were on the test. However, there was nothing on the test about training skills or actually teaching. Perhaps the higher-level specialty tests are more on target, but frankly I'm afraid to even try and take it without first attending the PACE or National Conference. I can't imagine the State or Nationwide seminars providing enough information for me to prepare.

The ISI is better at teaching skills because of their FREE/low cost seminars and judges testing for coaches. They've even introduced an extensive (for fee) LTS Train-the-Trainer program to introduce coaches to WeSkate. The drawback is that their programs are all geared toward their test structure, which has some substantial differences from the "mainstream" USFSA structures. Fortunately, District III does a great job of integrating those concerns into their seminars and meetings.

The USFSA offers some "Learn to Teach" seminars for Basic Skills, but there are only a few given each year and they're not advertised well. Most of the time, I find out about the local ones after the fact.

What coaches really need is an organization that can provide real training and certification on a regular and affordable basis to coaches just starting out as well as experienced coaches. There are plans afoot for a registry, but there are real training needs that have to be addressed by all three governing bodies.

dbny
04-12-2007, 06:08 PM
Indeed, we have a similar system in the UK. I am still faintly flabbergasted by the way anybody can call themselves a coach in the USA, even people who can't skate. And am surprised as the USFSA for allowing it!

Er, there are plenty of coaches who are excellent skaters, but can't teach worth a hoot. Teaching and skating are two different skills.

Virtualsk8r
04-12-2007, 07:31 PM
What coaches really need is an organization that can provide real training and certification on a regular and affordable basis to coaches just starting out as well as experienced coaches. There are plans afoot for a registry, but there are real training needs that have to be addressed by all three governing bodies.

That's what Canada and UK have - the National Coaching Certification Program, although both countries have different requirements.

I think Canada is being very progressive (and protecting their youth at the same time) by requiring that all coaches be certified under a sport-specific process in addition to a common-to-all sport certification. Even minor hockey must now have certified coaches and trainers for all teams and ages!
Sure neighbourhood soccer is still sometimes parent-run by ill-informed but well-meaning volunteers but once an athlete gets involved in organized sport, the coaches are minimum Level 1 certified, police checked and first-aid qualified. And every coach has a registration number that parents can check with the Coaching Association of Canada.

PS In skating, there are some ways of fast-tracking if you are a former world's or olympics competitor but you must still jump through the hoops of certification. And unless you are certified at the level required for Canadians or Worlds - forget standing at the boards with your skaters. The Duscheneys were stuck in the stands at one Canadians while their dance team skated because neither of them was Level 3 certified. Even Brian Orser had to fast-track himself last spring when Yu-Na Kim came calling for his coaching expertise -- and had to become certified Level 3 in order to coach high level skaters at Canadians.

jskater49
04-13-2007, 05:23 AM
Er, there are plenty of coaches who are excellent skaters, but can't teach worth a hoot. Teaching and skating are two different skills.

This is true and I'll agree you don't have to be able to do a triple to coach a triple, HOWEVER I expect a coach to have minimum skating skills and I've seen PSA rated coaches who cannot do a mohawk any better than me. Personally I wouldn't pay money to take from someone who can't skate better than me.

j

Isk8NYC
04-13-2007, 08:31 AM
I think that basic skating skills should be mandatory for LTS and lower-level coaches. Part of that education/certification might involve actually skating. The PSA has a "Ranking" system in addition to their "Ratings" system. A coach is ranked based on their experience as a skater, and/or their student's record as a skater.

However, I know several outstanding coaches who skated beautifully, but no longer wear skates for a variety of reasons. One of them was in a terrible car accident and really CANNOT skate anymore. Still, she coaches some of the BEST local skaters through doubles and triples. She remembers HOW to do things, she knows HOW to teach them, and she's one of the most calm, fair people I've ever seen at a competition.

I also know several high-level skaters whose idea of coaching is to loudly call their students names when they don't do things right. (As Seen on the Ice Yesterday show.)

Having both teaching and skating skills are a dynamic combination when you put them together. That would be a great goal for any certification/training organization.

Virtualsk8r
04-13-2007, 09:32 AM
I agree - coaches should know how to skate! However, few coaches have ever done a quad or a triple - or competed at World's but are capable of coaching skaters at that level.

In Canada, coaches must have passed at least two of: Junior bronze dances, Junior bronze freeskate, Junior bronze skills - in order to register for the learn-to-skate portion of their Level 1 certification, and there is now an on-ice assessment of skills during the course.

Generally, competitive coaches have personally passed a few Gold tests and are not straight out of the learn-to-skate group.

It's the learn-to-skate coaches that are often less qualified and haven't a clue how to teach someone who actually needs to be shown a skill. That's where mandatory training by a national association, such as in Canada, with off-ice assignments and detailed on-ice assessment and participation - gives all potential coaches the skills to provide the best coaching for that vulnerable group of learn-to-skaters!

jskater49
04-13-2007, 09:47 AM

It's the learn-to-skate coaches that are often less qualified and haven't a clue how to teach someone who actually needs to be shown a skill. That's where mandatory training by a national association, such as in Canada, with off-ice assignments and detailed on-ice assessment and participation - gives all potential coaches the skills to provide the best coaching for that vulnerable group of learn-to-skaters!

I still remember the teen ager in learn to skate who was trying to help me do a salchow- "Just do a 3 turn and jump" was her advice :??

j

Virtualsk8r
04-13-2007, 10:09 AM
:lol: I've worked with a few World medalists over the years - whose method of teaching something was basically the same ...just do it like this!! Skaters stood there with that look on their face of....huh??:lol: