View Full Version : "shooshie" turns

sunjoy
04-02-2007, 11:03 PM
In playing around and trying out a backspin from a LFI, RFI, RFI3 entrance, I found myself doing a sort of "shooshie turn (http://web.skatefaq.com:81/figureskating.html)" (scroll to the bottom) on the 3-turn. (Properly, the nickname refers to doing a backwards-to-forward 3 on inlines by rocking forward on the blade rather than backwards).

Actually I suppose I was doing the obverse: a FI-three turn done by rocking back on the blade (to somewhere near mid-blade, behind the spinning-point). Felt a *bit* like a rocker, in a way; felt like I was pulling the exit edge around a tight curve rather than just riding it.

Does anyone have experience with these? (either the real backwards-to-forwards "shooshie", or the forward to backwards ones I was doing).

Team Arthritis
04-04-2007, 10:51 AM
Heck I always called that an "OOPS", now won't coach be impressed when I tell her it has an oficial name. BTW, tough to do these on sharp blades IMHO
Lyle

techskater
04-04-2007, 11:32 AM
Actually I suppose I was doing the obverse: a FI-three turn done by rocking back on the blade (to somewhere near mid-blade, behind the spinning-point). Felt a *bit* like a rocker, in a way; felt like I was pulling the exit edge around a tight curve rather than just riding it.

Did it go inside edge to inside edge? (FI-BI same foot)? If so, it was either a rocker or a counter. If not, it's an incorrect three turn