View Full Version : lots of questions

jcookie1982
04-01-2007, 06:52 PM
I'm working on testing pre-bronze, and my coach is sort of confused as to what is on the MIF and freestyle test, since he is only familiar with the standard track testing. I've researched it online, and here is what I came up with:

MIF
1. forward perimeter stroking
2 basic consecutive edges
3 forward and backwards crossovers
4 waltz eight
5 forward three turn pattern

Freestyle
1 2 different single jumps
2 1 foot uproght spin
2 foot upright spin
3 crossovers -forward and backward
4 lunge or spiral

I don't even think that he had the forward three turn pattern in his manual.

Also, if I choose to do the spiral in the freestyle test, is it the same pattern as in the pre-preliminary MIF test, or is it just a single spiral?

Why would forward and backwards crossovers be on both the MIF and the freestyle test?

Also, if I decided to take the standard track tests, would I still be able to compete in adult competitions?

Sorry for all of the questions.

techskater
04-01-2007, 08:21 PM
I'm working on testing pre-bronze, and my coach is sort of confused as to what is on the MIF and freestyle test, since he is only familiar with the standard track testing. I've researched it online, and here is what I came up with:

MIF
1. forward perimeter stroking
2 basic consecutive edges
3 forward and backwards crossovers
4 waltz eight
5 forward three turn pattern

Freestyle
1 2 different single jumps
2 1 foot uproght spin
2 foot upright spin
3 crossovers -forward and backward
4 lunge or spiral

I don't even think that he had the forward three turn pattern in his manual.

Also, if I choose to do the spiral in the freestyle test, is it the same pattern as in the pre-preliminary MIF test, or is it just a single spiral?

Why would forward and backwards crossovers be on both the MIF and the freestyle test?

Also, if I decided to take the standard track tests, would I still be able to compete in adult competitions?

Sorry for all of the questions.

1) The adult 3 turn pattern is available on line. At the USFSA website, you can watch the videos of each test on the adult section.
2) Just one spiral will do.
3) Because the tests haven't changed since the MITF requirement was added
4) You can take standard track tests and cross over to the adult tests all over the place but for Sectionals and Nationals, only the adult tests count unless you pass the Intermediate FS test. If you take standard track tests and try to skate at Sectionals or Nationals, they only preclude you from a level, they don't qualify you.

I would suggest you find a coach who has adults who have taken and passed some of the adult tests to either supplement your work with your primary coach and/or work with your coach on the requirements.

dbny
04-01-2007, 09:47 PM
2) Just one spiral will do.

I would suggest you find a coach who has adults who have taken and passed some of the adult tests to either supplement your work with your primary coach and/or work with your coach on the requirements.

Isn't it the same as on the Pre-Prelim MIF? That is, one spiral on each foot, skated consecutively down the ice. Each spiral to last a minimum of 4 seconds.

I second the suggestion to find a coach with experience.

teresa
04-01-2007, 09:58 PM
I don't agree that your coach HAS to have adult testing experience, would be nice, but they need to be willing to ask someone who does and be willing to learn.

teresa

jskater49
04-02-2007, 04:47 AM
Isn't it the same as on the Pre-Prelim MIF? That is, one spiral on each foot, skated consecutively down the ice. Each spiral to last a minimum of 4 seconds.

I second the suggestion to find a coach with experience.

I suggest you look at a rule book, but when I took the prebronze freestyle test several years ago...you only had to do the spiral on one foot, you choose and I don't believe there was a minimum of how long to hold it - just enough to show you could do it - but I chose to do the lunge myself.

Your coach needs a rule book and you need to look at a rule book.

j

Scarlett
04-02-2007, 06:10 AM
I've been prepping for this test for forever.

For the spiral, you only need to show one spiral with the free leg above the hip.

The jump components can either be full rotation jumps or half jumps.

Good luck.

PhysicistOnIce
04-02-2007, 06:39 AM
You may also find the videos on the USFSA website useful:

http://www.usfigureskating.org/Programs.asp?id=316

blue111moon
04-02-2007, 07:43 AM
Go to the USFS Forms site and get copies of the actual test forms. That will tell you exactly what the elements are and what the judges are looking for.

I second (or third) the motion that you get a Rulebook and demand that your coach get one too, since knowing what he has to teach is part of his job.

Isk8NYC
04-02-2007, 08:03 AM
The new 3-turn pattern for Pre-Bronze was only added to the rulebook in 2006. If you have an old rulebook, get a new one. I have the pdf version and I love being able to search for a keyword instead of leafing through the book. Even with printing just-what-I-need this week, I still use less paper than the full rulebook. I wish ISI had an electronic version of their rulebooks as well.

The spiral is on the Pre-Bronze Freestyle test, not the MITF test. You can choose to do one spiral or one lunge.

If you check out THIS THREAD (http://www.skatingforums.com/showthread.php?t=21693), we've "bookmarked" tons of good links for more information.

jcookie1982
04-02-2007, 10:39 AM
Go to the USFS Forms site and get copies of the actual test forms. That will tell you exactly what the elements are and what the judges are looking for.

I second (or third) the motion that you get a Rulebook and demand that your coach get one too, since knowing what he has to teach is part of his job.

He does have a rulebook, but I think it might be an older one.

jskater49
04-02-2007, 10:44 AM
He does have a rulebook, but I think it might be an older one.

I keep hearing about coaches that don't have rulebooks or have old ones and I just do not understand that at all - that should be like the first thing you buy if you want to make a living coaching figure skating...

j

Isk8NYC
04-02-2007, 11:00 AM
The out-of-date / unowned rulebooks happen a lot to coaches because they lose the books at the rink, don't want to pay the $$$, or don't feel the changes affect them because they have no skaters that are in those levels.

I used an old ISI rulebook for quite some time because I had specific notes written on the pages and (most importantly), their updates weren't always clear. It was expensive to buy three new books (Test,Comp,and Judges), so I printed out the updates and put them in, rewriting my notes. Since the ISI now has only one test/comp handbook, I use sticky notes and just move them from book to book. The cheapest way to pick up manuals is by going to a District Championship or education meeting/seminar - no shipping.

doubletoe
04-02-2007, 12:01 PM
You don't need to worry about the spiral fitting any specific pattern. However, I would advise trying to hold it for at least 3 full seconds in position (one-mississippi, two-mississippi, three-mississipi and down), to show control.
The first time the spiral comes up in the adult MIF tests is on the Silver MIF test, and all you have to do is hold a spiral in a straight line for half a rink length on one leg, then half a rink length on the other leg (with free leg above hip level).

jazzpants
04-02-2007, 12:07 PM
I keep hearing about coaches that don't have rulebooks or have old ones and I just do not understand that at all - that should be like the first thing you buy if you want to make a living coaching figure skating...When he doesn't have his rulebook handy, my primary coach would sometimes asks me about what's on an adult moves test or changes in the WBP requirements and refers to me as Ms. Computer Brain! :lol: :P (Of course, this year I've told him to "Stop asking me! I'm having a hard time keeping track of my own stuff as is...") :twisted:

rlichtefeld
04-02-2007, 03:42 PM
Also, try looking here:
http://www.gerfsc.com/rules.htm

It shows the elements and where they are in the rule book, and how they compare to the Standard Track.

Rob

techskater
04-02-2007, 03:46 PM
I don't agree that your coach HAS to have adult testing experience, would be nice, but they need to be willing to ask someone who does and be willing to learn.

teresa

I didn't say HAD to. I did say that it would be GOOD to either get a second opinion from a second coach who had adults who tested or have your coach talk to another coach who has had adults test. There are some differences in requirements between ST and AT.

sunjoy
04-02-2007, 09:20 PM
A couple of things that neither the USFS Adult moves pdf diagrams or videos resolve:

1) How many sets of the 3-turn pattern to do down each side of the rink. (4-6 was the consensus in this thread). A single *set* consists of a 3-turn lobe and the crossover lobe back to the line.

2) Is the transition to crossovers to be done two footed like power 3-s, or using a one foot BI edge glide? (Coach at my rink said power 3s is preferable, but you won't be marked-down for doing it the other way).

~~~~

The PSA MiTF videos (DVDs) are very very helpful, even though they are standard track and don't show the 3-turn pattern.