View Full Version : Trading spouses is looking for Ice skating family...

twokidsskatemom
03-28-2007, 01:40 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just wanted to put this out there in case anyone would be intererested..I know trading spouses is looking for an ice skating family. This is a fox tv show.
General Information
Fox reality show
Paid 50,000
Contact...James Barcenas
Casting Director
Trading Spouses
Rocket Science Laboratories
323-802-0620
Jamesb@rocketsciencelabs.com

7 days of filming

dbny
03-28-2007, 01:42 PM
Oooh! I wish we could do it, but no way would DH ever agree, plus my house is a complete wreck.

xofivebyfive
03-28-2007, 06:03 PM
Do they mean the whole family skates or could it just be one person? Where did you hear about this?

twokidsskatemom
03-28-2007, 06:46 PM
Do they mean the whole family skates or could it just be one person? Where did you hear about this?
They are looking for a family that has skaters.Do you think your family would do it ?Your mom has to go be with a different family :}

icedancer2
03-28-2007, 06:57 PM
I like the $50,000 part. Too bad I don't have kids who skate!

dbny
03-28-2007, 07:35 PM
I like the $50,000 part.

$50,000 ?!?!?! How did I miss that? Lemme have a chat with DH.

icedancer2
03-28-2007, 07:43 PM

LOL - that was the first thing I saw... maybe I could borrow some kids...:lol:

jskater49
03-28-2007, 08:50 PM
THere is no amount of money that would entice me to set my family up for that. You have no control over how they edit it or decide to portray you..bad enough that people are willing to do that to themselves, but to expose their children? ...I just don't understand it. I close my shades at night so my neighbors can't see me, why I would invite cameras in my house for strangers to watch me...ick.

j

Isk8NYC
03-28-2007, 09:31 PM
Just to clarify: do you realize that the show is Trading SPOUSES, not Trading Spaces? They're not going to make over your house - you (as the Mom) have to trade lives with someone else. Not even for $50 grand would I take a chance of losing it on camera, or letting someone else lose it with my kids.

twokidsskatemom
03-28-2007, 09:48 PM
Just to clarify: do you realize that the show is Trading SPOUSES, not Trading Spaces? They're not going to make over your house - you (as the Mom) have to trade lives with someone else. Not even for $50 grand would I take a chance of losing it on camera, or letting someone else lose it with my kids.

I figured people knew which show I was talking about, but maybe not. They are looking for a skate family, and Im sure they will show off how crazy and all the bad things about this sport.They wil match you with a family that is totaly different.

jskater49
03-29-2007, 07:11 AM
I figured people knew which show I was talking about, but maybe not. They are looking for a skate family, and Im sure they will show off how crazy and all the bad things about this sport.They wil match you with a family that is totaly different.

Probably someone who thinks skating is for pansies and will make your kids quit skating and take up boxing or somethng... :P

j

Isk8NYC
03-29-2007, 07:31 AM
Probably someone who thinks skating is for pansies and will make your kids quit skating and take up boxing or somethng... :P Or HOCKEY or BROOMBALL, maybe?

Logan3
03-29-2007, 12:51 PM
they will most probably match the skating family with a family that does not beleive in organized sports so the skating family will show as vicious, ultra competitive. Most probably the skating child will be shown pushed to achieve by the mother etc etc. I know very well how this is going to go....

My dd is skating 3 ,50min sessions a week (no early mornings) with breaks for the holidays and summer and my friends around the school and the neibhorhood still think that I am insane and that my child has not life. So just immagine how a serious skating family will show on TV....

Mrs Redboots
03-29-2007, 01:18 PM
Here in the UK it's called Wife Swap. And, like all reality shows, it just wants to make the punters look stupid.

dbny
03-31-2007, 12:55 PM
Just to clarify: do you realize that the show is Trading SPOUSES, not Trading Spaces?

Yes, I realized that, just forgot to add a :lol: after my post about having a chat with DH. We would never do a show like that. Don't even watch it, just get the drift from what others have said. Just for the record, we wouldn't ever do Trading Spaces either. Absolutely hate some of the designers, and DH does all his own work anyway.

mlotz
03-31-2007, 04:45 PM
Trading Spouses is part of my "crap tv" repertoire. I must admit I enjoy watching it and most of the time underneath all the TV drama, it leaves you with a warm fuzy thankful-for-having-the-family you were given feeling.

luckeylasvegas
03-31-2007, 11:37 PM
Oooh! I wish we could do it, but no way would DH ever agree, plus my house is a complete wreck.

You took the words right out of my mouth! :P

twokidsskatemom
03-31-2007, 11:41 PM
That is why we said no:) But it might be for someone else ...

sunjoy
04-01-2007, 01:14 AM
Not a bad experience if you think about it, as long as *your* family is reasonably well-adjusted. Yes, they may or may not portray your family members favorably, but I can't imagine it'd be so bad as to traumatize the kids at school or anything.

Think of it as a kind of foreign exchange experience. You (and more importantly the kids) learn what makes other people tick.

Then again, you can give your kids that plenty of other ways without having the results broadcast on TV... On second thought, I have to say, that's just not cool, unless the kids are especially media savvy. Good opportunity for a family with a high-ranking novice or jr. skater in the familly, where she probably has had to deal with the media some already.

Hmm, "Blades of Glory" just came out, and Worlds was just on, and they're looking for a skating family? Coincidence?

beegeemom
04-02-2007, 10:14 AM
Too bad they won't take Canadians. That would give us a nice start on opening our skate shop. :-)

sarahmom3
04-04-2007, 06:05 PM
Oh lol...I think it would be fun. I'd give $50,000 to get away from my kids for the week.;) My dd isn't competitive enough so they probably wouldn't pick a family like ours anyway. I think the show is a crack up though.

AlexeiLover
04-11-2007, 08:32 PM
LOL that would be halarious... I wonder if they would come to Canada??? My mom's definately a rink mom, although my sister and I only skate one day a week now... But that would be crazy if it was with someone who totally had a huge disregard for the sport!

aussiemum
04-13-2007, 07:17 PM
I can see it now...they would choose an ice skating family who are obsessed with their child/children winning. The family would have a ridiculous schedule of early morning and afternoon training and possibly could even be home schooled. The mother would be the skating equivilent of a "pageant mother"

The other family would be super duper layed back, non-competative lacking in discipline and invloved in NO sport

Anyone who is not familiar with the show watch THIS (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCODIhAXbQM) it is the end result of one mum being sent to stay with a family totally unlike her own...it is pretty funny

PS: I too have to admit Trading Spouses/Wife Sway is part of my "crap quota" TV viewing along with Idol, Big Bro, The Bachelor and much much more :oops: :oops: :oops:

xofivebyfive
04-13-2007, 08:45 PM
My mom said she would totally sign up, but I don't think they'd choose a family with a beginning skater and very laidback parents.. they're going to pick someone that makes skaters and their parents seem insane!

twokidsskatemom
04-13-2007, 08:46 PM
My mom said she would totally sign up, but I don't think they'd choose a family with a beginning skater and very laidback parents.. they're going to pick someone that makes skaters and their parents seem insane!

You are right, they are looking for kids that skate daily and compete :)

aussiemum
04-13-2007, 09:36 PM
If they were filming it here, I could pass on the names of several suitable families :) I know of one family with a 7 year old skater and to accommodate her perceived skating needs the family have moved around the country to find the "best" coaches and rinks. The mum regularly rings me to talk about her "gifted" child and just recently told me that their current weekly skating bill is $900 + !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! not including travel, competitions entries and costumes. Granted the family is very well off but am wondering why if she is gifted that amount of expenditure is required at such a young age and low test level.

About 3 years ago I was in another state with my daughter for a competition, I was sitting outside the rink just watching the world go by. I was watching cars pull up and drop skaters off for the official practice...it suddenly dawned on me that every car that pulled up was a Mercedes, BMW, Porsche etc etc, I then glanced over to my 7 year old 4 cylinder teeny Korean built budget car. It was at that point it dawned on me that the majority of competitive skaters come from families with a reasonable income. Not all of course but certainly a significant number.

Yes I am a skating mum but I almost cringe if anyone refers to me as one given the reputation some have. I am just a mum who loves that her teenage daughter is passionate about her sport no matter whether she finishes on the podium or not.

peanutskates
05-11-2007, 01:35 AM
aussiemum, that clip of the mom was just FREAKY. I have to say, that lady looks more like a satan worshipper than a christian (see her EYES8O , they're EVIL!!)

hahaha, just by luck, I found the profile of that woman on the video on the wife swap site:

the freaky one
Lawrence Family
For Karen "Big Mama" Lawrence (41), her husband, Derryl (45), and their three children, Jessica (14), Amber (9) and Derryl, Jr. (8) of North Carolina, life revolves around their Christian beliefs and the word of the Gospel.

Although Big Mama works full-time as a bank teller, she always makes sure to get home in time to cook dinner for the family and take care of all the household chores. Derryl and Derryl, Jr. refuse to do housework on the grounds of the "Man Law," which states that chores are for women, while men should lie back and relax.

The Lawrence kids live their lives under the watchful eyes of their parents. Only thirty minutes of pre-approved television per day can be watched, and surfing the web and watching music videos is forbidden. Big Mama and Derryl have even told their kids that, if they watch music videos, demons will come out of the television to corrupt them -- and the kids do what they're told because their parents and the Bible tell them so.

the other one
Caddel Family
Marlo "Jinxi" Caddel (35) and her husband, Steve (34), live as proud atheists with alternative values, yet Jinxi is compulsive about her career. Jinxi is constantly on her computer, selling items online for her home business. Steve gave up a career in law to assist Jinxi in her business and to wait on her hand and foot.

However the Caddels are not your typical business people; they are both covered up to their necks and above in tattoos and hang out with a unique crowd they describe as "lesbians, strippers and freaks." They are encouraging their three children - Taylor "Brynn" (11), Aidan (9) and Shea (9) -- to find their individuality, and do not shelter them from adult themes like nude artwork and even a stripper pole - both of which are prominent in their living room.

haha, I can just imagine 'big mama' hanging out with the freaks and strippers! LOL

Isk8NYC
05-11-2007, 11:14 AM
Taking a page from "Trading Spaces," ABC's version called "Wife Swap" is also casting for figure skating family episode. They're looking for a family that has: "two parents and have at least one child, between the ages of 7 and 17, living at home." One or more of the children has to be a competitive figure skater. The honorarium is $20,000.

The casting director says that s/he is a former figure skater.

http://abc.go.com/primetime/wifeswap/casting.html (http://abc.go.com/primetime/wifeswap/casting.html)

jskater49
05-11-2007, 01:18 PM
Taking a page from "Trading Spaces," ABC's version called "Wife Swap" is also casting for figure skating family episode. They're looking for a family that has: "two parents and have at least one child, between the ages of 7 and 17, living at home." One or more of the children has to be a competitive figure skater. The honorarium is $20,000.

The casting director says that s/he is a former figure skater.

http://abc.go.com/primetime/wifeswap/casting.html (http://abc.go.com/primetime/wifeswap/casting.html)

I know that $20,000 sounds like a lot of money to most people (even me) but what a scam, that they can get away with paying that little. No wonder networks like "reality" TV $40,000 for two families is a LOT less paying a cast for a real show.

j