View Full Version : Wikipedia entry: Adult Figure Skating

rlichtefeld
03-28-2007, 06:33 AM
I've been using and relying on Wikipedia more and more. And, so I'm trying to add content where I can to add to the total project. I came across an article that someone started in October:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adult_figure_skating

Maybe some of us could collaborate on the article to flesh it out. If anyone is interested please let me know.

Although there is nothing stopping any of us from doing it on our own, I thought an organized approach may be best.

Rob

RoaringSkates
03-28-2007, 08:41 AM
I edit and create at Wiki. I'll have a look at the article, hopefully today. Would not mind helping you out with this.

Team Arthritis
03-28-2007, 08:46 AM
maybe it would be a good idea to put the RSSIR faq on there too as that NG kinda died but the faq is superb
Lyle

jazzpants
03-28-2007, 08:58 AM
It should also include another Wikipedia page to AOSS (Adult Onset Skating Syndrome) :twisted: :P :lol:

rlichtefeld
03-28-2007, 10:01 AM
maybe it would be a good idea to put the RSSIR faq on there too as that NG kinda died but the faq is superb
Lyle

Lyle if you can give a me a link, we can add it to the external links.

[Edit] Never mind I found it!

Rob

MusicSkateFan
03-28-2007, 10:20 AM
Should it include links/info about the ISU Adult Competition in Germany?

rlichtefeld
03-28-2007, 10:26 AM
Should it include links/info about the ISU Adult Competition in Germany?

It does under International Competitions. But, if you'd like to expand on it, that would be great. I haven't attended that one yet. So, I have no first hand details.

I do have all the docs at:
http://gerfsc.com/intl.htm

Rob

flo
03-28-2007, 10:39 AM
Happy to help.

RoaringSkates
03-28-2007, 01:16 PM
The age ranges given at the top - are those true of all adult skating, or just within the US? The implication is that they are true everywhere. If they are not, then this chart should be moved down to the US section, or eliminated.

The definition given of adult skating is confusing. When it says that it means adults over 21 who take lessons to compete or test - who defines it that way? Why is that separate from the "common" definition listed next, which states that it's anyone who has started skating at age 21 or over, regardless of their desire to test or compete? These two phrases seem to contradict each other, and I'd prefer to be clear. If we can say site who defines it as the former, then it all becomes clear.

rlichtefeld
03-28-2007, 02:43 PM
The age ranges given at the top - are those true of all adult skating, or just within the US? The implication is that they are true everywhere. If they are not, then this chart should be moved down to the US section, or eliminated.

The definition given of adult skating is confusing. When it says that it means adults over 21 who take lessons to compete or test - who defines it that way? Why is that separate from the "common" definition listed next, which states that it's anyone who has started skating at age 21 or over, regardless of their desire to test or compete? These two phrases seem to contradict each other, and I'd prefer to be clear. If we can say site who defines it as the former, then it all becomes clear.

The age ranges are what is used in all the US and International events, except for the ISU Adult in Oberstdorff. At least they are used at the Mountain Cup and VTT.

The definition needs to be fixed. I'm not sure what the fix should be. If you'd like to take a stab at it, that would be great.

What is the definition of an "Adult figure skater"? Someone who attends public sessions are few times a year? Someone who "trains"? Takes lessons? Competes? Does shows?

Personally, I think it has something to do with lessons and/or training. But, there are probably devotees that skate regularly (1-2 times a week) that would consider themselves an adult figure skater, even though they don't take lessons, etc. Hmmm.....

Rob

Isk8NYC
03-28-2007, 03:03 PM
Personally, I think it has something to do with lessons and/or training. But, there are probably devotees that skate regularly (1-2 times a week) that would consider themselves an adult figure skater, even though they don't take lessons, etc. Hmmm.....

RobWould they be considered "self-taught?"

kayskate
03-29-2007, 07:26 AM
The definition needs to be fixed. I'm not sure what the fix should be. If you'd like to take a stab at it, that would be great.

Rob

I agree w/ this. Personally, I no longer take lessons, though I did for yrs and started at ~25. Doesn't mean I don't want to, but it has not been practical for various reasons for the last few yrs. However, i still practice/train. I would say the ppl who are "devotees" should be included in the definition. I don't have the definition in mind, but I agree it should be broader to include a range of possibilities. IMO, the word "train" is key, though "practice" is also important for those who are at the stage of skill up-keep rather than training new skills.

Kay

rlichtefeld
03-29-2007, 09:17 AM
I've made a first pass at cleaning up some things, adding some things, and attempting to come up with a definition:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adult_figure_skating

Rob

flo
03-29-2007, 09:35 AM
8-) nice.

Team Arthritis
03-29-2007, 10:58 AM
Here is the link to the RSSIR Faq:

http://home.pacbell.net/anamga

Lyle

slusher
03-29-2007, 05:44 PM
I miss RSSIR.

Nice job Rob. Maybe I can help on the Canadian bit.

edited to add: In Canada the three major internet providers dropped newsgroups last year so unless someone had access through a small provider or school, good bye USENET.

Skate@Delaware
03-29-2007, 07:02 PM
Would they be considered "self-taught?"
What if they are just keeping their skills up? We have several adult skaters at my rink that do not take lessons. They skate to keep up their skills, and for the joy of it!

There is one woman who has no interest in learning the proper technique but loves to skate "her" way.

We have some that take lessons but do not compete, test, or skate in shows.

And there is one that only skates in shows.

It's a wide market.

rlichtefeld
03-30-2007, 10:30 AM
What if they are just keeping their skills up? We have several adult skaters at my rink that do not take lessons. They skate to keep up their skills, and for the joy of it!

There is one woman who has no interest in learning the proper technique but loves to skate "her" way.

We have some that take lessons but do not compete, test, or skate in shows.

And there is one that only skates in shows.

It's a wide market.

This is what I currently have on the site:

"Adult figure skating is a category referring to amateur ice skaters older than 21, who are actively training to improve skills, pass tests or to compete.

However, this category does not include 'elite' skaters who are still competing and performing past this age."

I think it spreads a pretty wide net. However, if you want to suggest something else.

Rob

Skate@Delaware
03-30-2007, 05:16 PM
This is what I currently have on the site:

"Adult figure skating is a category referring to amateur ice skaters older than 21, who are actively training to improve skills, pass tests or to compete.

However, this category does not include 'elite' skaters who are still competing and performing past this age."

I think it spreads a pretty wide net. However, if you want to suggest something else.

Rob
Nope! That's fine! Maybe more people will read it and actually believe it since it's on the Wiki....that yes, we may not be elite skaters (speakin' for myself) but we try just as hard (if not harder) gosh darn it!!!

tidesong
03-31-2007, 09:03 AM
Hi its a small info but singapore nationals championships allows 18 years and above to compete in the adult categories.

rlichtefeld
04-02-2007, 03:38 PM
Hi its a small info but singapore nationals championships allows 18 years and above to compete in the adult categories.

How about adding a section on the page about adult skating in Singapore?

Rob