View Full Version : ouch.

ic3ang3l
03-27-2007, 10:01 PM
i dislocated my knee about 5 weeks ago and am just starting physical therapy.
does anyone know how long it might take before i could skate again, and will i be able to do stuff like sit spins?

tidesong
03-28-2007, 12:19 AM
Skaters come back from injuries very often because we seem to get injured all the time... but you have to make sure you heal well. I am not a doctor so what does your doctor/physical therapist say about the knee? Best to stay safe, rest the knee, follow their advice, and do what you need to make sure it heals well.

I'd say that a good measure is that when you can do the sit spin position on land without hesitation and pain, then its good for the ice.

Sessy
03-28-2007, 02:12 AM
Yes but the sitting position on land is apparently more strainful for your knees than on ice. A skating friend of mine busted her knees (something inside chipped, a covering layer of semi-bone, I don't know how it's called in English) and her doctor told her not to do sit positions on land.

Remember that this is one instance where the slower you go, the further you get. Take all the time of the world to heal.

cathrl
03-28-2007, 05:34 AM
Make sure you ask your doctor/physio.

Some knee injuries need rest, and some need lots of activity to build up the muscle strength and keep it from going stiff.

I used to get some very odd looks from people when (following medical instruction) I encouraged my daughter to keep skating after she came over and told me her knee had gone numb / was hurting a bit.

sue123
03-28-2007, 07:54 AM
I dislocated my knee before, and believe me, it's not fun. Make sure you do a lot of work at physio, you want to build up the muscles surrounding your knee to help support it so it won't dislocate again. As for a timeline, everyone is different depending on what your muscle structure is like before, if you had any other injury such as ligament tears, eetc. Best bet is to talk to your doc or physio and see what they say.

Morgail
03-28-2007, 02:35 PM
I've dislocated my knee also. I think I was about 6-7 weeks off ice. Definitely ask your therapist when you can go back - you don't want to get on there too soon before you've built up some strength in your knee. Also, the first couple of times back, you may want to stay away from moves that might aggravate your knee (ie. jumps, if your dislocated knee is your landing leg).

You could try a sit spin position off ice (maybe with your therapist helping you) to see how it feels. If it starts to hurt, don't push it.

I started using a knee brace with a stiff ridge around the kneecap when I skate. It helps with the fear of re-dislocating the knee.

Skatinglover
04-02-2007, 03:52 PM
I know what you mean... I dislocated my left knee 3 weeks ago and my right at christmas... the time you will be off ice will depends of you... for me, I skating now even though 3 weeks ago I had problems walking... what could help you is.. of course lots of ice and i don't know if you could get some, but i have some kinda cream that my mom buys in chinatown (montreal but theres probably somewhere else...) it's like myoflex but it works on me (myoflex doesn't)... And yes you'll probably be able to jump and spin again

Good luck
Malo