View Full Version : Sneaking out of work to skate

FallDownGoBoom
03-26-2007, 09:12 PM
C'mon. Confess.

How many times have you snuck in a public session during the workday?

sue123
03-26-2007, 09:33 PM
Heh, I got a call from the school I was working at that they ran out of money to pay me, so until they get more, they won't be calling me. I must admit, I'm not in such a rush to find a replacement school because this means I can go to public daytime sessions.

What I used to do when I was in college, I would schedule my classes and work schedule around the ice time at the rink. One rink had a session at 8 am, so I made sure I didn't take a class before 9:30 because I was able to skate from 8-9:13, take my skates off, run to my car, and as long as I was in my car by 9:15, I would make it on time to class. Another rink had na afternoon sessions, so on the days I didn't have labs, my classes were done around 12:45. I could have started work at 1 when the labs opened, but instead, I started at 3 so I could go ot the sessions beforehand.

Never snuck out when I was in the school. The lunch time is not long enough for me to get to the rink, skate, and get back in time.

Laura H
03-26-2007, 10:36 PM
Well, I don't think you could call it "sneaking out" because I change before I go and happily tell my co-workers "I'M GOING SKATING!" but I like to go at least once a week on my lunch break (one of the perks of working 10 minutes from the skating rink!). While the kids are still in school, it is WONDERFUL . . . hardly anyone on the ice at that time!

cecealias
03-27-2007, 12:55 AM
Quite a number of times... but not enough!

Typically its a challenge trying to get out early enough to make it to those 5:15 pm FS sessions

I have learned that skating mid-day or later is challenging because the day's already started... less of a clear mind. Skating first thing in the morning forces me to really spend skating time as time for myself with no email, phone, vm distractions.

Morning skating is more difficult because i'm not as awake -- however Morning Skating really is "Me Time", with no other distractions or thoughts.

Although, if I really need a break later in the afternoon, skating's perfect.

Sonic
03-27-2007, 03:15 AM
Haven't quite sneaked off work, but have been late about five times due to skating (wouldn't get off the ice early enough). Unless skating on a tea-time session I often work quite late, and the other day when leaving on time for once my boss was like, 'What, you're not actually leaving on time are you...let me guess - skating!'

S xxx

Rusty Blades
03-27-2007, 04:04 AM
Well, not "sneaking" but I had been going in late 2 days a week since December - I simply told them I was going to be doing that - I am over 55 so I am "on the voluntary plan" at work and they need me so I can get away with that :mrgreen: Come July and August, I'll be leaving early 2 days a week for summer school.

Bill_S
03-27-2007, 06:15 AM
Me,.. skip work to skate...? NEVER! ;)

Sessy
03-27-2007, 06:46 AM
I don't exactly work yet - at least, I do, but it's not like a fourty hours work day so hey. But I do play my programme music on my iPod during work and imagine doing the programme and also, I do sneak out on a LOT of lectures to skate.

Rob Dean
03-27-2007, 06:53 AM
I do go out at lunch now and then (and today may be one of those days), but the session runs long enough that I charge an hour of leave time for the operation. So, it isn't exactly sneaking...

Rob Dean

Paulie86
03-27-2007, 06:56 AM
Hehe, I wish i could sneak out of work to skate, but I can't :( And it's so tempting to sneak out of lectures to go skating.

jskater49
03-27-2007, 07:15 AM
I'm seriously considering skipping out on our annual church convention because it's the same time as a competition where for the first they are offering a spins competition I can do - 1 foot and 2 foot - usually there's a back spin or sit spn included...there's a jump competition I can do - half flip and toe loop. Also my daughter is getting a new program and she wants to compete it and so I'm using her as my excuse... "I only have another year to go to competitions with her and there will be boring church conventions till judgment day..."

j

Isk8NYC
03-27-2007, 08:01 AM
Because I'm salaried, I have no time card to punch and I'm not known as a "clock watcher." I've left the office at 9pm if that's the time I needed to finish a project. (Plus, the view of Manhattan at night is spectacular.)

I leave work early three days a week to teach skating and I come in late on Weds because I have my own lesson in the morning. I "make up" the time by handling problems before I leave my house, not taking a lunch hour, and staying late on other days.

There have been some days where I just took a morning off, or had a long "lunch" just to get in a skate (sometimes only 20 mins) and relieve some of the stress. Tomorrow might be one of those days. LOL

MusicSkateFan
03-27-2007, 08:05 AM
A couple of times when I have had "teacher only" days fall on a Friday....I have snuck out to get to Ft Dupont for their 12:00-1:50 public session that has about 10 people on it for $4.00!!:giveup: :giveup: :giveup: :roll: :roll:

jazzpants
03-27-2007, 10:07 AM
I've worked out my work schedule with my boss so that I can skate on Thursdays at the lunchtime session but stay late afterwards. I'm an exempt employee and as far as my boss is concerned, it's all about getting my work done on time. (Believe it or not, it was a BIG prerequisite to my taking his job offer.) :lol:

It's a BIG relief for my primary coach, who hates teaching me during the summer b/c it takes away from his "beauty sleep!!!" :P :lol:

das_mondlicht
03-27-2007, 12:04 PM
During my job interview, I mumbled if I can go skating, everything will be fine. Then my boss uttered "FS2?!". Did I hear him right? Then, of course we continued our conversation as 2 adult skaters...It was a demanding job but I got many chances to go skating during the day when public session has only handful of people. It was a blessing!

Luna

myste12
03-27-2007, 01:09 PM
I used to call in sick to go skating when I was a secretary. I called them mental health days...

Now, I can't call in sick because I'm the only cake decorator in the bakery, but I usually work my schedule around skating: two week days off, and a late start on a third. Gotta love the flexible schedule!

Ice Dancer
03-27-2007, 02:37 PM
It has been known! My current boss is really supportive of my skating, and a few times I've asked for time off to go and he's let me, with no holiday used! It's great. I guess he prefers that I'm honest than do a sickie. Although I've been tempted to do that a few times too!!!!

sceptique
03-27-2007, 03:41 PM
To sneak out of work to skate I only need to put my skates on, open my office door and make 10 steps to the ice gate.

Guess how many times I did it in the past 9 weeks since I got this job?
Precisely.
Once.
:lol:

All the rest is teaching LTS and iceFitness and occasionally going on ice to restore law and order if needed.

And I still go to my training rink to skate BEFORE work. :lol: :lol: :lol:

jazzpants
03-27-2007, 03:43 PM
sceptique: That's not sneaking out to work. That's DOING extra work!!! :lol: :twisted: :lol: :twisted: (And I'll bet you LOVE your job, huh?) :P

sceptique
03-27-2007, 03:48 PM
And I'll bet you LOVE your job, huh? :P

Hey, I'm doing twice the hours for half the pay - it's must be love! :lol:

Honestly, I feel happy. I haven't felt this way for years. Very tired, sometimes frustrated, but happy. I only wish there were more hours in a day so I could finish everything I planned for the day and still get a few hours of sleep!

LilJen
03-27-2007, 04:47 PM
Self-employment. . . it's a beautiful thing (in some ways!).

BlueIcePlaza
03-28-2007, 03:43 PM
Self-employment. . . it's a beautiful thing (in some ways!).

Indeed... I work out of doors, and if the weather is really poor, I'm down to the rink like a shot! :D

looplover
03-29-2007, 10:20 AM
I've called in sick to skate a couple of times because I can't really sneak out. I'm always worried that I'll fracture something and then have to come up with a story about fractured arm taking place while I have mild food poisoning and am in bed all day....:halo:

Team Arthritis
03-29-2007, 11:04 AM
I can't really sneak out. I'm always worried that I'll fracture something and then have to come up with a story about fractured arm taking place while I have mild food poisoning and am in bed all day....:halo:

LOL, I found the group I'm working with by asking my buds in the Pallace Club (coffee club) skaters so I could be near the rink. So today, my last hour is empty so unless 4 people get necrotizing malignant headcolds, I'll be outa here and on the ice!
Lyle

Mrs Redboots
03-29-2007, 01:23 PM
I've called in sick to skate a couple of times because I can't really sneak out. I'm always worried that I'll fracture something and then have to come up with a story about fractured arm taking place while I have mild food poisoning and am in bed all day....:halo:You fell over while running to the loo to puke?

mikawendy
03-29-2007, 05:51 PM
You fell over while running to the loo to puke?

Lyle, if you use that story, make sure you know what it is you "ate" that's to "blame" for your "food poisoning." (Gotta get the story straight, right?) :lol: :lol: :lol: :halo:

Sessy
03-30-2007, 07:25 AM
LOL! In Russia, if somebody is REALLY drunk (like, beyond comprehending what's going on around him), they say "Nazhralsia" about it. That's the past perfect male singular of the verb "zhrat", which means stuffing food down like a pig would. :lol:

Team Arthritis
03-30-2007, 10:22 AM
LOL! In Russia, if somebody is REALLY drunk (like, beyond comprehending what's going on around him), they say "Nazhralsia" about it. That's the past perfect male singular of the verb "zhrat", which means stuffing food down like a pig would. :lol:

What a great word! Its onomatope - where the word sounds like what it describes. http://www.cosgan.de/images/midi/musik/l050.gif
Lyle

looplover
03-30-2007, 01:27 PM
Lyle, if you use that story, make sure you know what it is you "ate" that's to "blame" for your "food poisoning." (Gotta get the story straight, right?) :lol: :lol: :lol: :halo:

See that one messes me up every time. I've not been asked yet, but I never have an answer at the ready...

WJLServo
04-02-2007, 01:01 PM
Ah, sadly enough, rinks here in Eastern MA almost all schedule Public Skating at lunch hour; evening sessions are very few, and far between.

So, have spent last few years training my Boss to understand that I WILL be out on the ice at lunch time. Conference calls? Customer visits? Engineering meetings? Ah, too bad, I'd love to attend, if only I could, but, ice is calling, and you can color me "gone!"