View Full Version : Will this look silly?

sue123
03-26-2007, 08:38 PM
Call this vanity, but I am trying to find something to wear for skating. After taking a particularly nasty fall today when one blade got caught on my pants, and having had several of those falls in the past, I am seriously considering wearing.... less clothing on my lower half. But, I'm not about to wear a skirt. I've thought about it, but I'm not yet brave enough. And, if I am on a public session, I would just feel weird. But I was thinking about wearing a longer pair of shorts over my tights. The shorts are knee length, so they're not the short shorts that I've seen some other skaters wear. One part of me says "Who cares what you look like? As long as you're comfortable." Another part of me says "You never know who you could meet! You don't want to look stupid". Then the first part replies back "You don't go skating to meet anybody" but then the second part says "But if you happen to meet somebody at the ice rink, and he's a nice guy, and you get along, why would you push him away just because of where you are? Besides, some of those guys coming for hockey are pretty cute>" and so on and so on.

So what are the opinions? Yay, nay? I'm leaning towards yay because I don't think it would look so strange, I've seen people skate in longer skirts and it's fine.

mikawendy
03-26-2007, 08:41 PM
Try on your outfit at home (with skates, if possible), and see if you like how it looks. I think it matters most what you think of your outfit--not so much what others think but whether you think it's comfortable and looks good, since you don't want to be distracted while you practice by worrying about your clothes...

Virtualsk8r
03-26-2007, 08:44 PM
Try a pair of yoga capri pants. Lots of skaters at our rink wear that, especially in the summer. Lululemon (online - check it out) is a yoga sports wear company that all the skaters wear and they make great lasting capri and full-length pants that skaters just love. In fact, they even have a pair of tight-legged pants meant for running that look great on the ice and your pick won't get caught. Skaters have found that the wider legged pants do pose a problem, so the best best in long pants is the reverse groove pant.

Blue Skyes is another source to check out. They make custom outfits for skating teams, etc. and also have a great pair of heavy stretch pants that do up under the boot and are slim in the calf.

Hey the latest thing at our rink is (visions of the '80's) leg warmers again!
Nothing looks stupid on the ice if it works for you.

chantelly
03-27-2007, 04:07 AM
How about black leggings with a leotard or bikini bottom type things on top, that way the leggings will make you feel a bit more covered?

Sessy
03-27-2007, 06:31 AM
Sue, consider leggins, capri-pants - preferably stretch or tricot (worn with tights underneath: the capri pants I'm wearing in this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UD_rm3TApE) I wear for skating too), stretch capri pants of the horseback riding type (I've got some of those myself, from the CoolCat store, which has lots of alternative clothing), tugging whatever is still sticking out into bootcovers over your boots.

Also, consider wearing a normal mini-skirt (I've got a few with squares in punk/alto styles (take a look here from a few months ago (http://sessy.web-log.nl/.shared/image.html?/photos/uncategorized/flip.jpg)) but they come in fashionable (http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/images/unbranded/s/unbranded-schoolgirl-denim-mini-skirt-size-14.jpg) and in classical (http://www.honewatson.com/baby-phat-fashions/images/05-12/baby-phat-asymmetical-raw-ruffle-skirt.jpg) too - might wanna check out shops that sell dancing clothing for latin dance too) that's wide enough to lift your leg and buy matching-colour (preferably dark colour) hipster/hotpants-type cotton-stretch seamless underwear that you put a top of your tights. And of course real hotpants are an option too and if you have some old very-stretch jeans that are too large, you can cut those short and wear them with a belt with black tights underneath. Or just ultra short shorts.

As for hockey guys... I've walked in on a hockey practice in an Iced Earth (heavy metal band) t-shirt (http://www.a-cd.de/images/articles/2004-09-23_142155_iced_earth_burnt_offerings.jpg) that's six sizes too large and wearing stretch jeanslook leggins and still gotten my behind checked out and comments like, "Woooo are you our new massaging girl?" and things like that. They just look at your bum and they don't care what you stuck it in, as long as they can see it well.

Besides, from figure skaters they expect figure skating dresses and they're not stupid, they know you're not wearing that figure skating dress outside of the rink any more than they'll wear their stinky padding to their grandma's birthday.

kayskate
03-27-2007, 08:08 AM
A few yrs ago, legging shorts over tights were a popular fashion for young skaters practicing. Rainbo used to sell them. I have never tried this look, but I tend to stick w/ long leggings for skating for warmth and comfort. I do have wide leg stretch pants and have thought I could very easily catch a blade, but never have. Don't wear them often though. You can also wear a skirt over leggings. Used to do that a lot. I have some pics of my leggings and jazz pants on my web site in the photo gallery.

Kay

quarkiki2
03-27-2007, 09:02 AM
He, he... My can is probably wider than three of yours put together, but I always skate in layers: tights under a leotard under full-length leggings with a long-sleeved shirt of some sort on top. The bonus is that I can pull the leggings over my boots and cover my laces. I've always had a fear of my blades getting caught in pants or my boot laces. Yes, the leggings are form fitting, but that's a good thing because my coach can see as much of my body line as someone slating in a skirt and I don't feel like a doof wanna-be in a skirt, LOL!

mtskater82
03-27-2007, 10:56 AM
I love my capri pants over footed tights. They are black, stretchy/fitted and best of all, no worries about catching a blade in bootcut type pants. I may look around for some fitted black shorts to wear in the summer (over tights of course.) The only time I'll wear a skirt/dress is a week or two before competition or testing, to get used to it.

flippet
03-27-2007, 11:01 AM
I think that the snugger workout shorts over tights look fine. I used to wear that a lot. It was very comfortable.

I have video of myself a long time ago, wearing a pair of denim shorts over tights.....not a good look.:oops:

myste12
03-27-2007, 01:18 PM
Several skaters at my rink wear shorts on a regular basis, and I don't think it would look strange at all. Wearing tights underneath is a good idea to keep your legs warmer.

LilJen
03-27-2007, 04:49 PM
Try pegging the pants, if you haven't already. Them yoga pants--with the wide legs--is mighty dangerous!

cecealias
03-27-2007, 09:24 PM
Have you tried Seku skatewear? I find their boot cut pants are flattering, comfortable, and my blade doesn't get caught in them, including spins, double jumps etc.

doubletoe
03-27-2007, 10:57 PM
I wear the Seku pants, too. They fit snugly over the boot so don't get caught in my blade. But they aren't cheap, so you may want to look for some other brand of leggings if you're on a budget.

tidesong
03-28-2007, 12:11 AM
I usually wear tight fitting stretchy pants that fit along the leg all the way to the ankle area. Those kinds wont get in the way of skating.

Of course, I also do buy normal flared (but stretchy) type pants because I handsew them to taper towards the ankle from the knee downwards and that works for me too. Most yoga, gym, dance pants tend to be easily alterable for skating in this aspect.

sue123
03-28-2007, 07:57 AM
For some reason, I can't find tapered stretchy pants. And hand sewing is not an option for me because the most I can do is sew a button. I once managed to sew a hole in my pocket, but it didn't come out very pretty. I didn't mind so mucuh because it's inside the pocket where no one will see it.

I looked at the Seku skatewear before, but it's pretty pricey, isn't it? I think I'll stick with capri pants or long shorts for now. It's getting warmer besides, so I don't need to be so bundled up.

Isk8NYC
03-28-2007, 11:18 AM
Sue - I bought two pairs of perfect skating pants at BJ's in Jersey City, NJ.
Not every BJ's carries the same merchandise, though, so I've been keeping an eye out for them again. Target also has similar, although I think they're capri-length.

tidesong
03-28-2007, 12:48 PM
Actually capri length sounds very good to me too. I'm sure they will keep you warm enough too and even if its colder you can still wear and extra pair of knee length socks for the lower leg.

Sessy
03-29-2007, 08:42 AM
BTW no idea about your body type but slender-legged gals tend to look good with legwarmers and leggins on and a tank top :)

sue123
03-29-2007, 09:27 AM
BTW no idea about your body type but slender-legged gals tend to look good with legwarmers and leggins on and a tank top :)

If only I were slender-legged. My legs aren't big, but they are super long, so they probably look slimmer than they actually are. And of course, I got some meat on my thighs. But I'm not complaining, I rather like my long legs. It did always make bending over to touch my toes more difficult because I have a short torso, and buying pants is always a problem because they're always short, but my old coach used to tell me that having long legs gives me a better line when I skate :D Not sure if she was just saying that, or if it's really true, but I like to believe it.