View Full Version : Adult Synchro skaters - Too old to start ?

3skatekiddos
03-25-2007, 11:12 AM
I am almost 36 and have spent enough time in rinks with my kids to wish they offered frequent flyer points :) However, I have not done any skating other than public sessions in years. The Swedish Synchro team is practising in "our" rink and I had a chance to see them Friday. HOLY COW is that ever cool. Then I saw the Masters, Adult and Novice teams at my DD's ice show last night. I really want to try this. That being said, I don't have the basics to do it right now. I want to talk to DD's coach about taking me on too and I could jump into some adult classes in the fall.

Is it unrealistic of me to think that I could try out in a few years ? I can do FW and BW crosscuts but no mowaks or 3 turns. I do run and do pilates so I am in ok shape. It would certainly give me a goal to aspire to. Are they mainly made of of adult skaters who have skated all their lives ?

Thanks for any thoughts :) I haven't been this interested in a group activity in eons.

jcookie1982
03-25-2007, 11:32 AM
Do they have any adult open teams in your area? I had only been skating for a year when I joined an adult open team in my area. I was able to keep up and make it through the season. My skating and speed also improved so much, and it was a lot of fun. There are no test requirements for adult open, so just work on your mohawks and three turns before tryouts.

Summerkid710
03-26-2007, 12:58 PM
There are several levels of adult synchro. There are women who skated as kids and there are people who started as adults. You just have to find the right one for you. I know ladies who are barely proficient at mohawks who skate on an ISI adult formation synchro team.

I say go for it! Most teams will have tryouts in the next few months.