View Full Version : help...turning to the left

peanutskates
03-25-2007, 04:21 AM
I find it really hard to turn to the left, as in, I can't spin properly to the left, I can't jump to the left and I can't even turn around to the left (as in turning around back-front or vice versa). So I was jumping around in my dining room yesterday and decided to do some 360 revolutions. to the right - no problem. when I tried them to the left, I can barely make it,plus I feel dizzy and stumble around.

what do I do? If I can't even spin/jump to the left properly off the ice without losing my balance and going dizzy, what chance do I have on the ice? Should I just practice more and get over it?

I am, BTW right handed. maybe that explains something

Tiggerwoos
03-25-2007, 04:28 AM
Everyone has a side which they are predominantly better on.......... Sounds to me that you're a clockwise skater rather than a counter-clockwise, so see how you go doing moves on the right and you'll probably find that's the case.:)

Maineskate
03-25-2007, 05:58 AM
Yup, you're a clockwise skater. No biggie, so am I. You can still jump and spin and compete and do whatever you want, you'll just do it clockwise. Make sure you have a coach who can show you how to do things "your way."

I still practice doing 2-foot turns and edges turning to the left, because some movements require that you work both directions. But don't let anyone tell you that you "must" jump and spin to the left.

Good luck!
Julie

techskater
03-25-2007, 09:54 AM
Woohoo! Another CW skater! You will end up jumping "to the right" and spinning "to the right" as you are calling it. You don't have to learn how to jump/spin CCW. You will have to work 5X as hard on your CCW turns as your CW turns since need to be able to turn in both directions as to pass most levels for MIF, you need to be able to show bi-lateral proficiency. Make sure your coach understands you are a CW skater, even if you are in group lessons because that will help YOU big time to progress.

Some well known CW skaters:
Sarah Hughes
Todd Eldridge
Laurence Owens
Denise Bielman

dbny
03-25-2007, 10:37 AM
I am, BTW right handed. maybe that explains something

What that explains is that whoever taught you to spin assumed that you spin CCW because you are a righty. It's a general rule of thumb that righties spin CCW and lefties spin CW, but I personally know several exceptions and there are probably some here who are exceptions also. Good for you for discovering your true CW nature, go with it!

sue123
03-25-2007, 10:45 AM
Nothing wrong with being a CW skater. But you will still have ot be able to do turns in the CCW direction, such as 3-turns. And don't forget about crossovers in that direction as well. Most righties naturally go CCW, but there are some exceptions. And some people jump CW and spin CCW, or vice versa. I for one am a weird one who finds any kind of jump that starts on my left leg. So I find it easier to do a toe loop in the CW direction, but a flip in hte CCW direction. I also have an easier time on outside 3 turns, regardless of direction, even though they're supposedly harder. But I would rather do any outside 3 than do an inside one.

But go ahead, enjoy your clockwiseness. Just make sure you tell your coaches.

Skittl1321
03-25-2007, 11:10 AM
I'm a righty who is a CW skater!

I can't spin to the left at all- it makes me so sick.

However, I found that practice, practice, practice was the solution for turning to the left. Yep it's a lot harder, but keep at it and they will look as good as the right side. When I practice footwork I do twice as many on my bad side as my good side. I find that I want to, and notice most other people also want to, practice only on their good side. It makes us feel good about our progress when we can do things well. But you just have to keep working on both.

The only trouble I've had as a CW skater is my loop. My right leg is stronger, because turn direction, not "sidedness" determined my skating direction. So my left leg just collapses under me when I try to both jump off of it and land on it. All my other jumps are "fine" (they are actually pretty pathetic, but fine for me right now), but my loop is a mess. Oddly, I can do it CCW.

Slightly off topic- Our LTS director turned CW and jumped CCW, but she said she strongly discourages anyone else from doing that because she ran into so much trouble with it.

samba
03-25-2007, 11:17 AM
Clockwise in general is not a problem on your own, however if you want to do pairs it can be a problem as most people skate in the opposite direction, there have been some successes with a mixture of both but very few. Also shows can be a problem as you are often required to jump and spin in the same direction as the others. Because of this my son learned to do jumps and spins in both directions but is still stronger skating clockwise. So if you are young it is best to at least try both directions.

peanutskates
03-25-2007, 01:39 PM
thanks everyone!

crossovers, chasses, 3s and such like are OK, it's any turn over about 150 degrees to the left that dizzifies me.

I just thought that skaters had to learn both sides. it makes me v. happy to know that I won't have to struggle with hard jumps and spins AND learn them on the hard side.

BTW, teapot/shoot-the-duck wise I find it easier to balance on my left foot. hmm.

kayskate
03-27-2007, 08:24 AM
I am also CW. If someone had forced me to be CCW, I doubt I could have achieve as much as I have. I know ppl who were forced CCW and later had to change and it put them far behind and was very frustrating.

Everybody has to work hard doing MITF in the opposite direction. Notice TV announcers who comment on footwork that moves in both directions :) or only turns in one direction :cry: . It's even a recognized challenge for the elites. Don't avoid working on MITF in your opposite direction. It is a challenge for everyone.

Kay