View Full Version : Boot heel problem

xpander
03-25-2007, 01:15 AM
I recently bought used Riedell 220 figure skates for about $50, but when they arrived I discovered that the right heel has begun to detach from the boot itself. You can see what I'm talking about in the two pictures, these are the actual skates. Should I forget about these and return them? Are they a big project? What do you think? Thanks.

picture 1 (http://www.silentspring.net/pix/heel1.jpg)
picture 2 (http://www.silentspring.net/pix/heel2.jpg)

Isk8NYC
03-25-2007, 08:27 AM
Yep, the pictures show a problem that shouldn't exist. The heel shouldn't have an opening like that. Be careful: you don't want to have the heel detach while you're skating.

Take it to a pro shop and get their up-close opinion. They might say that, since the heel is attached with big screws, it's still sturdy. (Can't tell that from the pix.)

$50 wasn't a big investment, but better safe than sorry.

Bill_S
03-25-2007, 09:10 AM
I lifted the liner of my Riedell Gold Stars and observed that they attached the heel with small nails or brads from the inside.

A handy person could close up the heel gap, and make it secure with a couple of flathead drywall screws attached from the inside. It would take a long-handled screwdriver shaft to reach inside, but they are readily available. Pay attention to the blade attachment screw locations and don't put the new screws where they would interfere.

Screws are generally more secure than nails anyway, so you'd end up with a stronger boot.

techskater
03-25-2007, 10:03 AM
Where are you located? I ask because there is an old time shoe repair place here in Chicago that could fix it for you very reasonably. One of my Harlicks split in a similar place (we've since determined the cause and have corrected it for my next pair of boots that I ordered) and Montclair Shoe Repair (in Chicago) fixed it for me pretty inexpensively and it will get me through to Nationals.

skaternum
03-25-2007, 10:32 AM
You say you bought them used. How would you return them? Did you get them from a used sporting goods store? If so, and if the store policy allows it, you should definitely take them back. If you to them from an individual, I think you're stuck with them. I'd be concerned about skating in them. Looks kinda dangerous to me.

Scarlett
03-25-2007, 10:38 AM
The same thing happened to my Riedell skates. I took them to a pro shop and they said that it was a defect in some of the older riedell skates but that they wouldn't separate any more than that but that if I wished they could put a bolt through the heel. I ended up getting a different pair of skates but that was mainly because I needed a stronger boot and a child at my rink had just outgrown the perfect pair of skates for me.

Good luck in whatever you decide.