View Full Version : Sudden Feet Problems

DallasSkater
03-24-2007, 09:47 PM
Any ideas about why there would suddenly be feet problems?

I have never related to the foot issues many of you have described until this week! My ankles fronts are bright red and calloused (Ok the callous has been going for quite a while but small and to be expected, my feet have started sweating in the boots, I have developed a little corn thingy or something painful on my little toe...and my feet generally sting for a while after taking my boots off. My feet look like they have been to battle! This is unusual for me.

I have not changed a thing. I have the same sock type, working on basically the same stuff with the exception of just starting the camel and sit spin...neither that I do well enough to do long enough to be the suspected difference! I am skating generally the same amount of time this week as any other. I tie the boot about the same way and about the same degree of tightness! I really watched how I did it tonight to make sure and came off the ice with this big problem again.

Since you guys are my heroes, I tend to copy things you say you do. One thing I learned since being on the board is that many of you skate in thin nylon type socks or even footed tights. I tried it in my copy cat fashion...but that was the only other time my feet really sweated.I decided to go back to my socks immediately. Except for that day (which was probably 2 months ago)...I have only skated in thin cotton socks with no prior problem!

Would appreciate any thoughts about this! Ouch!

SkatingOnClouds
03-25-2007, 03:30 AM
Is it both feet, or just your spinning foot?

shutterbug
03-25-2007, 03:30 AM
It's possible that the padding in your boots has broken down a bit and your feet are starting to slide around. Try wearing an extra insole in your boot (the really basic kind you get at a drugstore for $1.99) and see if this helps.

dooobedooo
03-25-2007, 06:10 AM
Sometimes the boot tongue breaks down a bit. You can line it with bubble wrap, or buy bunga pads (gel pads).

cathrl
03-25-2007, 09:57 AM
Have you changed your washing powder recently? (just in case this is one of those things which doesn't translate transAtlantic, I mean the soap you put in the machine to wash your socks with). If you're slightly allergic to it, and then you sweat a bit and it rubs a bit at that one place on your foot, that could make any reaction much more noticeable.

techskater
03-25-2007, 09:57 AM
Are you having issues with where you boot hits your shin? If so, it's from the sit spins and you need to put either a pad or a bunga there.

How old are your boots? Are they breaking down? One of my friends developed foot problems all of a sudden when her boots broke down from the inside and she didn't realize it. She didn't train like she customarily did and had some serious issues until she realized the problem. Now that she has new skates - voila - no problem!

DallasSkater
03-25-2007, 05:09 PM
SkatingonClouds:.... Both feet in exactly the same places for the ankle stuff happening.

Shutterbug, doobedoo and tech: Thanks for your responses too. I think you named it and then after today's skate...I know you are right. The tongue part does have evidence of some breaking down. I had not thought of that since the boots are less than a year old but first evidence is exactly there.

While skating today I noticed a rubbed off feeling on the back of my heel. Went to take skates off...had my first blister. Yep, I am moving in the boots!

Cathrl: No change in soap but that was a good thought. I had not even considered that or other products that I use.

Thanks for your help...looks like I will need the bunga pads quickly. I am a little sad about my boots. I know they are supposed to break down but loved that they were so "perfect" for my feet especially after hearing the problems that were possible.

mdvask8r
03-25-2007, 10:57 PM
You could have the tongues rebuilt - or have new tongues sewn in.

herniated
03-26-2007, 09:39 AM
Hi DallasSkater,
Usually I have to have the pads on the sides of my boots replaced once a year. I skate 3 hours a week and am at the Silver level. I guess my point of telling you this is if you skate more or are at a higher level your boots will break down quicker. It is sad to get new ones. Well, at least the break in period is sad for me.

Team Arthritis
03-26-2007, 11:38 AM
I developed a contact allergy to my SPTerri's (not there fault!) and found that gel sleeves helped a lot

Sessy
03-27-2007, 06:18 AM
Maybe the problems aren't your skates but your new summer shoes or something like that? Socks? Feet fungus? Inflamed skin? Allergy to washing powder?

DallasSkater
03-27-2007, 09:51 PM
Mdvask8r...I love my skates so much...that is likely what I will eventually do!

Herniated: Wow to new pads once a year! I hope my sides hold up a bit longer since I am not Silver level. I do skate about 8 hours a week. I think they are breaking down quickly because of that. I also think they have "cheap tongues" as it is foam like..I noticed that some brands have wool on tongues or other material that just seems might hold better. My boot sides seem to be made of better stuff.

Team: I am ordering those sleeves!

Sessy: Good thoughts...but I am pretty sure it is break down as there was not really a change in those other areas. After a blister, I know I am moving in the boots. Thanks though.