View Full Version : Adult Skating Committee

MusicSkateFan
03-22-2007, 10:44 AM
:twisted: Well the Adult Committee has perpetuated the conception to the general skating public that adult skaters who did not learn as children have no hope of ever doing anything great in the sport.

The committee is promoting the Adult recreational skaters. Go back and look at your Skating Magazine's Adult corners. Numerous spotlights given to Recreational skaters. I wrote a heated email to USFSA about this and they informed me this was all the Adult Committee's doing. I did see that FINALLY this month there were no recreational skaters in the spotlight.

I don't blame Mr. Edge for possibly coming across in a negative tone towards adult skaters. This is what he is being fed by our own committee.
So as long as the committee keeps promoting the"All-Inclusive" aspect of adult skating, those of us who are competetive and learned as adults better get used to being treated like we've been skating for 12 years and hope to someday pass the pre-bronze MITF test.

Isk8NYC
03-22-2007, 11:00 AM
So as long as the [USFSA Adult Skating] committee keeps promoting the"All-Inclusive" aspect of adult skating, those of us who are competetive and learned as adults better get used to being treated like we've been skating for 12 years and hope to someday pass the pre-bronze MITF test.IMHO, I think you're off the mark in thinking that the Adult Skating committee had anything at all to do with Mr. Edge. If he's anything like the pro shop people I've met over the years, his opinions are his own. I'd expect him to tell you off for thinking he could be influenced. But, I don't know him personally, so I'm just stereotyping.

That inclusive attitude that you disdain has given the Adult Skating Committee leverage with the USFSA. They have little, if any, budget yet Adult Skating grows yearly. That inclusiveness is in line with the Standard Track approach of bringing in new low-level skaters through Basic Skills and badge programs. Frankly, I read the Adult corner in every issue and I didn't get the feeling that they're pushing any particular type of skating for adults. Let's look behind the scenes: the profiles are based on who the volunteer writers interact with at a particular time. Skating season would influence that, since fewer competitive skaters are available for interviews.

I skated as an adult in the 1980's. There were few opportunities for adults to compete fairly outside of ISI and little hope of ever seeing a change. Now, it's a brave, new world with lots of opportunity for all skaters. That MITF test may be all that skater aspires to, but his/her participation helps fund your skating as well.

From a business-growth perspective, you have to include everyone. That beginning adult skater is part of your base for the future. I've seen adults who were wobbly first-timers become incredibly strong competitors. Everyone progresses at their own rate.

jskater49
03-22-2007, 12:02 PM
those of us who are competetive and learned as adults better get used to being treated like we've been skating for 12 years and hope to someday pass the pre-bronze MITF test.

Ouch. That's a little too close to describing me for comfort.:o

j

doubletoe
03-22-2007, 07:02 PM
:twisted: Well the Adult Committee has perpetuated the conception to the general skating public that adult skaters who did not learn as children have no hope of ever doing anything great in the sport.

The committee is promoting the Adult recreational skaters. Go back and look at your Skating Magazine's Adult corners. Numerous spotlights given to Recreational skaters. I wrote a heated email to USFSA about this and they informed me this was all the Adult Committee's doing. I did see that FINALLY this month there were no recreational skaters in the spotlight.

I don't blame Mr. Edge for possibly coming across in a negative tone towards adult skaters. This is what he is being fed by our own committee.
So as long as the committee keeps promoting the"All-Inclusive" aspect of adult skating, those of us who are competetive and learned as adults better get used to being treated like we've been skating for 12 years and hope to someday pass the pre-bronze MITF test.

Huh? I never get that impression from the Adult Committee. The USFSA and Skating Magazine seem to be paying more attention and giving at least as much respect to adult skaters (both competitive and recreational) as they do to those skaters Intermediate level and below.

Ice T
03-22-2007, 08:05 PM
Hey gang,

The first thing I do when I get Skating Mag is to find the adult page (yes, that is singular -- page, and that is IF we even get one, and yet every other division of skating seems to always be featured). I found the article appalling and extremely insulting and I am highly offended.

First of all, this is totally opposite of every message that USFS has been sending adults. They have added moves in the field and then spread the levels out all over the place from Pre-Prelim to Intermediate (originally as high as Novice) to tell us that they wanted better skating from us. Then they changed up the program requirements to see better competition programs from us. The suggestion in this article of us just accepting our tricks as good enough for an adult is insulting and contrary to what USFS is saying they want from us. No skater, child or adult, or any athelete for that matter will stop until they reach perfection. We may not do triples, but we can certainly learn to execute our singles and doubles with correct technique.

Secondly, the role of an athelete is to push their bodies. That is sport, and we realize that. It will come with cost. But it is the same for the kids. No one would ever tell the kids to go have a cup of coffee, that it's "good enough" and to just take a break. While we may never make the Olympic team, our goals of placing on the podium (or just getting through qualifiers) are just as important to us as the kids' goals are to them. And we will keep pushing our bodies and our skills to reach those goals. The adults that would read this Skating Magazine are serious and competitive and would never do some of the ridiculous things mentioned in this article, or accept the level of medocrity proposed in the article. We take this very seriously, as is evidenced by the vast amount of us here that skate almost every day, take lessons every week, and compete nationally around the country.

Considering what I thought was the positive direction USFS was moving with Skating Mag in their many recent features on adults, I am reallly surprised and disappointed that they would publish an article that most of us find insulting and paints adult skating in a negative light.

And by the way, I have always skated in Harlicks. And I never had a problem until the current pair that I own now. I was fitted in person by the owner, and yet they do not fit me properly and are causing me all kinds of foot problems. I even sent them back once, but they are still not right. I never had foot problems until this pair, and I have been skating for 13 years.

I am highly insulted by this article and will probably write a letter to the editor about it. If you all support me, say "Amen!" and I will send that letter. I have fought too long and hard at my own rink to change the perception of adult skating and have had great sucess. I am not willing to move backwards now!

coskater64
03-22-2007, 08:24 PM
If Music Skate Fan is so upset by the adult committee then get your club to nominate you to be on the committee. Do you talk to members of the committee? It's not like all the addresses of every single member of the committee aren't known. USFS -- programs -- adult -- bottom of the page is the list of skater's on the committee. I haven't seen the committee do anything but promote adult skating and attempt to do what's best for adult skaters.

Former members of the committee include skater's like Paula Smart and Rhea Schwartz who do little things like facilitate the adult ISU competition in Oberstdorf where adult skater's from around the world come to compete.

Exactly what is bad about spotlighting recreational skaters? They are skaters and everyone deserves a moment to shine, I've noticed a wide variety of skater's in the adult section of skating, also, look at icenetwork.com, they have up adult sectionals, that is a part of US figureskating and shows skaters who are at higher levels both skaters who began as children and those who began as an adult.

With regards to Mr. Edge I would imagine he speaks only for himself, if he is a member of the Harlick team I've never met him. But last time I checked we all were able to speak our own minds he apparently doesn't think that much of adult skater's but then again...ask me if I care what he thinks.

coskater

blue111moon
03-23-2007, 10:16 AM
Of the three adults I talked to last night at my small mostly recreational club who had read the article, none were offended.

I did not respond to the poll because there was no option to describe my reaction: a lot of what was said reflects my personal view of my skating and that of the adults I skate with. But then we are older (50+) adults who learned late in life and are not in the sport for medals or glory or to kill ourselves "becoming the best we can be." And there are a lot of people like us out there, maybe not on this board (I find that the tone here is geared toward the more-competitive end of the curve.

And as a former member of the Adult Skating Committee, I can say that if the slant of that group has become more inclusive of recreational, non-competitive adult skaters, it is a relatively new development. Back in My Day, the emphasis was on raising the standards and making adult skating more like the kids'. I fought and argued that adults are NOT kids and that the recreational adult has a place in US Figure Skating for more than just a dues-payer. So it's nice for me to see more than just the competitive medal-winners in the Championship events at Nationals being spotlighted in Skating Magazine.

Personally, I think people are being way too quick to find offense in everything that doesn't exactly fit their personal situation.

flo
03-23-2007, 11:09 AM
Bluemoon,
I like that the adult program is inclusive, as it was in it's early days. I just think that the article was a bit snarky and patronizing. I also like seeing the non championship adults who started as adults being featured in skating magazine. I'd just like to see all adult skaters, competitive or not, treated with respect and not like we're all just managing to stay upright.

manleywoman
03-23-2007, 01:13 PM

Wait a minute...

In the past, Skating Magazine has been slammed for only having one article per year on the Adults, and that was the article on Adult Nationals. Which only featured Championships, ie: all the higher level skaters. Then adult skaters started complaining that the Bronze/Silver skaters (who make up the bulk of adult competitions) weren't being recognized. So now the magazine has a monthly article on skaters of all levels, and still you're not happy?

Some people cannot be appeased.

Team Arthritis
03-23-2007, 03:35 PM
Wait a minute...

In the past, Skating Magazine has been slammed for only having one article per year on the Adults, and that was the article on Adult Nationals. Which only featured Championships, ie: all the higher level skaters. Then adult skaters started complaining that the Bronze/Silver skaters (who make up the bulk of adult competitions) weren't being recognized. So now the magazine has a monthly article on skaters of all levels, and still you're not happy?

Some people cannot be appeased.
I'm with you, I'm just happy to see ANY coverage of adult skaters
:giveup:
Lyle

MusicSkateFan
03-24-2007, 12:22 PM
Manley, I am not outraged, my point is Adult Skating needs a MISSION STATEMENT. What are we truly trying to promote and accomplish? It seems as if we are just taking stabs at ideas and never follow through or think about the reprocussions.

If we have a mission statement IMHO it should lose all language pertaining to recreational skaters...or at least defer recreational skaters to the Learn to skate programs. We should have all press, etc promote the SPORT not the fluff.

I am sorry if I offend, I did not get into this sport for recreation. I want to see truly how far I can go. I would like to be supported in my efforts by the committee and the USFSA. (Lord knows we give them plenty of money).

I feel, IMHO the "All Inclusive" format cheapens the sport of Adult Figure Skating.

jskater49
03-24-2007, 12:31 PM
Manley, I am not outraged, my point is Adult Skating needs a MISSION STATEMENT. What are we truly trying to promote and accomplish? It seems as if we are just taking stabs at ideas and never follow through or think about the reprocussions.

If we have a mission statement IMHO it should lose all language pertaining to recreational skaters...or at least defer recreational skaters to the Learn to skate programs. We should have all press, etc promote the SPORT not the fluff.

I am sorry if I offend, I did not get into this sport for recreation. I want to see truly how far I can go. I would like to be supported in my efforts by the committee and the USFSA. (Lord knows we give them plenty of money).

I feel, IMHO the "All Inclusive" format cheapens the sport of Adult Figure Skating.

I guess I'm a recreational skater because even though I test and compete, I'm pretty realistic that I'm not gonna be in the championship gold round. Ever. And I'm okay with that, although I would argue that I too, want to see how far I can go, it's just gonna take awhile.

But let's say for argument's sake, I am "just" a recreational skater. I don't understand why I have to shunted off to LTS so that you can be supported.

It's like I tell my two kids, there's enough love and support for both of ya.

Yea and I'm thinking the money I'm pouring into the sport is not cheapening anything :??

j

icedancer2
03-24-2007, 01:08 PM

This is ridiculous. For one thing, just because you are a recreational skater, this does not relegate you to the LTS program! If I showed up for LTS, the coaches would laugh at me! They would wonder if I had showed up to TEACH LTS!!!

I test but do not compete. Does this make me any less of a skater, in your mind? Less of an adult skater?

Like you, I try to work very hard to be the best skater I can be, at my advanced age of 52 - yes, an adult skater, not competiting, definitely recreational - I could compete, but am just not interested, okay?

Offense taken.

sk8_4fun
03-24-2007, 01:26 PM

ahem, excuse me but did you never learn to skate? I too would like to see how far I can go and started my 'journey' in LTS along with alot others on these boards. Does that make me any less worthy? 8O

jazzpants
03-24-2007, 02:02 PM

MSF... what do you mean by "recreational skaters" and what do you mean by "all-inculsive?" (I have to ask this question b/c it can be taken in many ways.)

BTW: If I was relegated to the LTS class b/c I was a "recreational skater" (MY definition being someone that doesn't compete...), I wouldn't be skating at the level of where I am now! I also wouldn't have ended up becoming a competitive skater eventually. (I'm still surprise that the journey I took in my skating adventure ended up where I am now. I really wasn't planning to compete, skate to music, etc.)

When I was in LTS, I got very little attention, especially in the bigger classes. When I finally started with private lessons, I got a lot specific instructions for myself that I normally don't get in the LTS class. But I do want the choice of being able to just test my skating level to see where I'm at in terms of skating and to have goals to achieve... and sorry to say, to do that means I need a PRIVATE coach, not LTS...

Also, at my rink there are a LOT of skaters at my rink who are WAAAAAY better skaters than I am, but do NOT compete! (And I mean skaters that have axels and back camels and such...) Would it be fair to relegate them to LTS classes?

BTW: If you want to include certain skaters that you think should deserve to be on Adult Skating, you really should submit the name of the person and why you think this person deserves the nod to the columnist of that article. (Is it Lexi Rohner? I'm going by memory here...) Slamming the adult committee b/c they aren't showing the skaters that you think deserves the nod is not going to help your cause. Working WITH them and sending in your suggestion of a particular adult is the way to do! (With that, i think I'll be throwing Jay's name into their hat.) ;)

w.w.west
03-24-2007, 06:21 PM
Manley, I am not outraged, my point is Adult

I

Hmmmm.....this is a perfect example of "It is not all about you". It's about the big picture. BTW, the committee is all volunteer so it gets none of your money! "Coskater" stated it perfectly by saying get yourself nominated and participate.

I normaly don't get involved in this banter, but this struck a nerve. "Manleywoman" hits the nail on the head....there are complaints when too much focus is on the upper levels and the lower levels feel left out. Then when there is focus on the lower levels, still complaints. Personally, I have thoroughly enjoyed reading the the profiles on the various levels of adult skaters. It's fun to see new and familiar faces in the columns. In fact, I think I will email U.S. Figureskating and express my appreciation!

Isk8NYC
03-24-2007, 07:34 PM
From the 2006-2007 USFSA Rulebook:
Each permanent committee, subject to the provisions of the official rules of U.S. Figure Skating and to the control of the Board of Directors, shall have jurisdiction of all matters relating to the items stated after its title below:Adult Skating: encourage and support the growth of figure skating for adults by creating and encouraging the creation of programs addressing the needs of the adult skating community as a whole; the composition and manner of performance of all singles, pairs, and dance tests of adult skaters not specifically delegated to the Singles and Pairs and Dance Committees; and all matters pertaining to adult skating competitions not specifically delegated to the Competitions Committee.

ASCR 3.00 Responsibility
ASCR 3.01 It shall be the responsibility of the Adult Skating Committee to:

A. Encourage and support the growth of figure skating for adults;
B. Create and encourage the creation of programs addressing the needs of the adult skating community;
C. Work in conjunction with the Competitions Committee to continue the development of the U.S. Adult Figure Skating Championships and other adult competitive opportunities.

Isk8NYC
03-24-2007, 07:48 PM
Let me just say 'thank you' to all of the people who volunteer their time to support adult skating.

Scarlett
03-25-2007, 05:58 AM
Warning - On soapbox

I am another skater who is "recreational". I skate for fun. I skate because it is a good stress reliever. I skate because at the rink I can leave worrying about work, my health, or my finances behind. This does not mean that I am a lesser skater who shouldn't bother gracing the ice or not in consideration with the adult committee. I work hard on the ice. Just because I have no aspirations of landing a double axel and winning championship masters does not mean that I should hang up my skates and not be proud of the accomplishments that I have made on the ice. I was not offended by the Mr. Edge column but I am starting to take offense by the insinuation that since I have not yet passed pre-bronze I don't belong in the adult skating world.

Off-soapbox -- back to reality. I have work to do.

techskater
03-25-2007, 09:43 AM
Hmmmm.....this is a perfect example of "It is not all about you". It's about the big picture. BTW, the committee is all volunteer so it gets none of your money! "Coskater" stated it perfectly by saying get yourself nominated and participate.

I normaly don't get involved in this banter, but this struck a nerve. "Manleywoman" hits the nail on the head....there are complaints when too much focus is on the upper levels and the lower levels feel left out. Then when there is focus on the lower levels, still complaints. Personally, I have thoroughly enjoyed reading the the profiles on the various levels of adult skaters. It's fun to see new and familiar faces in the columns. In fact, I think I will email U.S. Figureskating and express my appreciation!

WW WEST - I completely agree with your statement. You've put my thoughts down almost exactly here. I also appreciate the "inclusiveness" of the Adult Committee with recreational (LTS and non-competitive) and competitive skaters AND the fact that there's an open forum at ANs with the committee so we all know what's going on and what to expect from GC so we can tell our club delegates which way we'd prefer they vote on an issue.

In general, why would the Adult Committee NOT encourage and embrace the "recreational" crowd and celebrate it? I mean, there are probably WAY more of them than competitive skaters (in general) AND you need people coming up from the LTS/recreational ranks to fill the competitive ranks in the first place. Do people just pop on the ice for the first time ready to compete at the Bronze level? Methinks not. I think mixing up the types and levels of skaters who are highlighted gives a more well rounded version of what adult skating truly is.

BTW, I am a competitive adult skater, but I DO recognize that some people don't want to compete or just want to improve their skills without ever being in front of judges. They pay the same amount for their ice and their US Figure Skating dues as I do, so they are equal as far as I am concerned.

Figureskates
03-25-2007, 09:52 AM
I think volunteering is a fun part of adult Figure Skating. Our club in LP hosted Adult Nats in 2004 and will again next year. In 2004 I ran the registration table and I had just as much fun as the skaters themselves.

I also skate but at 61 I also realize that I will never be good enough to compete since my body is beginning to fall apart and jumps aren't helping, however all that has done is make me shift my focus to Figures and work up that test track.

Joan
03-25-2007, 03:26 PM
Ouch. That's a little too close to describing me for comfort.:o

j

Yeah, that almost describes me as well. I'd probably been taking lessons and skating regularly as an adult for 8 or 9 years before I took the pre-bronze test (after-all, the adult structure for MIF was put in place only a few years ago).

Terri C
03-25-2007, 06:14 PM
On the USFS Website, when you are asked in the "Members Only" section to describe yourself, it is defined that a "Competitive Adult Skater" is a adult skater who competes in the Adult Qualifying events. What about the rest of us that attend the yearly non qual adult competitions (e.g. Pre Bronze skaters), as well as AN at the Bronze and Silver levels? What are we, chopped liver?

MusicSkateFan
03-25-2007, 07:19 PM
Well I said it was my opinion. I guess my point was not made in the exact manner I wished. I can't, however, put the words back in my mouth.

I do wish for a more defined mission statement of Adult Figure Skating. I do support recreational skating. I feel, IMHO, there needs to be some separation between the two. I was not trying to say that recreational skaters should not test or compete.

I am just looking for some clarity. I deal with setting goals and objectives for my Middle School Band students every day. I try to make the goals clear and show my students the results when they reach those goals.

I set goals for my skating and IMHO I am unsure if I see overall goals being set for Adult Figure Skating as a whole.

Debbie S
03-25-2007, 11:17 PM
On the USFS Website, when you are asked in the "Members Only" section to describe yourself, it is defined that a "Competitive Adult Skater" is a adult skater who competes in the Adult Qualifying events. What about the rest of us that attend the yearly non qual adult competitions (e.g. Pre Bronze skaters), as well as AN at the Bronze and Silver levels? What are we, chopped liver?This is a good point (although I think by "Adult Qualifying" events, they mean AN at all levels, but then what do you do about skaters who compete (at any level) but don't go to AN?). I've hesitated to respond on this thread b/c I'm not sure how recreation and competitive are being defined, both in this thread and by the Adult Committee, and I don't think they are particularly useful or descriptive terms.

I consider myself and any adult skater to be "recreational", in that skating is a form of recreation for us, as opposed to a job. Skating is not our full-time career, and we don't make any money for our accomplishments. For those who compete, that is recreation (just like 99% of the kids who skate), not a work assignment. I think the terms recreational and competitive should be replaced, b/c their meaning and connotations don't really reflect the reality of adult skating, IMO. Recreational seems to be interpreted as less serious or less skilled, and I don't that's a fair or appropriate label.

It seems that recreational is being defined in this thread (and by the USFSA) as not competing, but as several people have mentioned, what about people who test (and reach a high level)? Or people who compete infrequently? I don't see how you can "separate" adult skaters into 2 groups.

As for Skating Mag, I'm looking at the most recent issue I have (Feb, with Sasha Cohen on the cover) and of the 3 adult skaters profiled in "Adult Corner", all of them talk about competing, or their aspiration to one day compete at AN. They sound pretty serious to me (I believe one of them is a forum member ;)). No, they're not in Champ Masters, but as Manleywoman pointed out, the purpose of the column is to talk about adult skaters at levels that don't get coverage at AN time.

flo
03-26-2007, 09:28 AM
"On the USFS Website, when you are asked in the "Members Only" section to describe yourself, it is defined that a "Competitive Adult Skater" is a adult skater who competes in the Adult Qualifying events. What about the rest of us that attend the yearly non qual adult competitions (e.g. Pre Bronze skaters), as well as AN at the Bronze and Silver levels? What are we, chopped liver?"

Interesting - I'd not seen this. Perhaps this can be brought to the attention of the adult committee for revision to better represent the "Competitive adult skater".

Isk8NYC
03-26-2007, 09:40 AM
On the USFS Website, when you are asked in the "Members Only" section to describe yourself, it is defined that a "Competitive Adult Skater" is a adult skater who competes in the Adult Qualifying events. What about the rest of us that attend the yearly non qual adult competitions (e.g. Pre Bronze skaters), as well as AN at the Bronze and Silver levels? What are we, chopped liver?

Members:
In an effort to know our membership better, we are asking for more information on the membership application form. If not answered already, you can find these questions in your member profile. Here are explanations of some of the categories listed:

Competitive – You currently compete in any activity, i.e. local competitions, showcase, basic skills, qualifying competitions, etc.
Recreational – You skate purely for fun and/or testing; you do not compete.
Adult – You are over the age of 21 and are either a competitive or recreational skater.
If you are a competitive skater, you only skate in Adult qualifying events.
Collegiate – You are in college and are either a competitive or recreational skater.
Synchronized – You are a member of a Synchro team.
We are asking you to tell us your primary connection with U.S. Figure Skating (i.e. Adult) and then all others that apply (i.e. competitive, coach). Please don’t list your primary affiliation again in the 'All Others' section.

Terri C: I agree with you; these definitions are too narrow and leaves a hole that many of our SF members fall into: the "Adults who compete, but not in Adult qualifying events." (Don't forget, many adults skate in ISI competitions as well.) You should be able to choose 1) Adult Skater and 2) Competitive. I never read those definitions since I had to scroll down to find them on my internet browser window.

The USFSA should use the actual Adult qualifying event registrants for the past years to find those skaters and gather that information; that's far more accurate than this method. I don't think the USFSA really has the resources to build accurate, reliable information gathering, which is why we see holes like this appear.

When you update profile or renew your membership online using that link, the form asks you to select from these roles:

Parent/Guardian
Club Officer/Board Member
Coach
Other
Competitive Skater
Adult Skater
Recreational Skater
Synchro
U.S. Figure Skating Officer/Official
CollegiateYou can choose a primary activity, then as many secondary activities as you desire. I usually choose coach as my primary, and parent/guardian + adult skater as my secondary.

pairman2
03-26-2007, 10:14 AM
I'm on the adult committee and I appriciate the viewpoints that everyone is expressing. I think all of them are valid and make a lot of sense.

I have two view points that may seem to work against one another but each peice is an important peice of the whole.

One the one hand, I tend to not like the phrase 'all inclusive' although I cannot really disagree with it. It's broad enough that it can mean anything that you want to ascribe to it. In the case of people who think, overtly or not, that adults will never rise above the level of 'recreational', another word with varying definition, 'all inclusive' can become a code word for widespread limitations.

But as far as adult committee goes, or any entity all the way down to your local rink, you cannot leave out any group. I think it should be within the mission on the adult committee to promote recreational/beginner skating as much as all the other subgroups. It's all one big pipeline! There isn't an elite skater out there that did not first step on the ice as a 'recreational' skater. So this merely describes the gateway entry that feeds all skating, adult and elite. The adult committee would do well to be mindful of that.

Embrace recreational skaters! If you feel like your competitve catagory is static and you never seem to see anyone except the same faces, competition after competition, year after year, then reach out to everyone coming up through the system and tell them they will be dearly welcomed!

For some reason I have yet to receive my skating mag or read Mr Edge this time, but I can say that I don't think that he is going to define adult skating for us. We define ourselves, as high as we want to go or as elementary as we wish to remain.

Isk8NYC
03-26-2007, 10:16 AM
:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
Well-put and clear!

Ellyn
03-26-2007, 11:35 AM
Terri C: I agree with you; these definitions are too narrow and leaves a hole that many of our SF members fall into: the "Adults who compete, but not in Adult qualifying events." (Don't forget, many adults skate in ISI competitions as well.)

Actually, looked at in context, what that must mean is that if you are a competitive skater, the only qualifying events you enter, if any, are adult events. I.e., you're over 21 and not competing in novice-junior-senior qualifying events.

So it would be better worded "Adult – You are over the age of 21 and are either a competitive or recreational skater. If you are a competitive skater, you compete in adult events" or "If you are a competitive skater, you compete only in adult events at the qualifying level."

It seems that for the general skating population, they want to distinguish between skaters who compete at all and skaters who just test or just skate for their own enjoyment, but they don't distinguish between skaters who compete only in local interp competitions and those who are trying to get to Nationals.

For the adult category, they're putting all levels are participation together, competitive or not.

And the "recreational" and "competitive" categories don't specify age or specifically exclude adult tests and competitions, so there's no reason not to choose one of those if you're over 21 and identify more by the fact that you compete or the fact that you skate for recreation than by the fact that you're an adult.

You should be able to choose 1) Adult Skater and 2) Competitive. I never read those definitions since I had to scroll down to find them on my internet browser window. <snip>
You can choose a primary activity, then as many secondary activities as you desire. I usually choose coach as my primary, and parent/guardian + adult skater as my secondary.

So choose the primary activity that you identify with most. I think I said Adult Skater first and then official and either recreational or competitive. I do compete sometimes, but rarely (actually only once, back in 1999) in an adult qualifying competition, because I don't have the money to travel to competitions regularly and often don't have the time to train programs, e.g., if I'm directing a play with rehearsals during the competitive season. So competing is a recreational activity for me. :)

dcden
03-26-2007, 07:28 PM
I didn't believe the definition of "competitive adult skater" till I had to read it myself. Whoa! I agree with the above posters, "competitive adult skater" certainly includes pre-bronze, bronze, & silver competitors, as well as gold and masters skaters who only compete in non-qualifying events. If you don't believe me, hang out near rinkside right before Bronze Ladies final round begins in Chicago. ;)

While we're talking about Skating magazine, I won't bring up the topic of recreational vs. competitive skaters but I do wish the magazine would be more informative and less a series of personal profiles (be they of adult skaters, competitive skaters, or past skaters). I would like to see more articles on common MIF errors, figuring out the COP, maybe have a "skill of the month" that they focus on, etc. And maybe have the occasional point/counterpoint type articles (e.g. "Should there be jump limits at the XXX freestyle level?" or "What defines a cheated jump landing?").

As it is, I realize Skating magazine is geared towards a younger audience (read: Axel Annie), and I accept that. But I think Skating magazine has the potential to be a much more useful resource to its readers, not just in terms of promotion of adult skating, but in furthering the sport at ALL levels.

Emberchyld
03-27-2007, 08:20 PM
As it is, I realize Skating magazine is geared towards a younger audience (read: Axel Annie), and I accept that. But I think Skating magazine has the potential to be a much more useful resource to its readers, not just in terms of promotion of adult skating, but in furthering the sport at ALL levels.

I agree. I think the editors of Skating should look at "specific" magazines like Pointe (for ballet)-- that magazine has history, current information, interviews, "fashion" spreads for the latest clothing/shoes (I'd love to see articles on the latest features in skates, blades, bags, accessories), "What's in Your Dance bag?", dancer's diaries, music and book info (occasionally), nutrition information/body info (an article every month that covers some dance-related health issue-- from food to turnout).

Skating has Mr. Edge. *sigh* And a crossword for kids. *double sigh*

Tessa
03-27-2007, 10:44 PM
I finally read the article online (I let my club membership lapse!). It kind of cracked me up.

"Ego: I can't wait to get out on the ice today.
Body: Do I really have to go skating? I was out way too late last night." is totally me on Sundays! I had a hangover lesson about 2 months ago and it was a disaster. Spinning was out of the question. I was sweating like a horse.

I am proud to be a recreational skater.

doubletoe
03-27-2007, 11:04 PM
If Music Skate Fan is so upset by the adult committee then get your club to nominate you to be on the committee. Do you talk to members of the committee? It's not like all the addresses of every single member of the committee aren't known. USFS -- programs -- adult -- bottom of the page is the list of skater's on the committee. I haven't seen the committee do anything but promote adult skating and attempt to do what's best for adult skaters.

Former members of the committee include skater's like Paula Smart and Rhea Schwartz who do little things like facilitate the adult ISU competition in Oberstdorf where adult skater's from around the world come to compete.

Exactly what is bad about spotlighting recreational skaters? They are skaters and everyone deserves a moment to shine, I've noticed a wide variety of skater's in the adult section of skating, also, look at icenetwork.com, they have up adult sectionals, that is a part of US figureskating and shows skaters who are at higher levels both skaters who began as children and those who began as an adult.

With regards to Mr. Edge I would imagine he speaks only for himself, if he is a member of the Harlick team I've never met him. But last time I checked we all were able to speak our own minds he apparently doesn't think that much of adult skater's but then again...ask me if I care what he thinks.

coskater

:bow: :bow: :bow:

cecealias
03-27-2007, 11:34 PM
I, too, am proud to be a recreational skater.

Just because I'm not a competitive skater doesn't mean that I work hard too. I don't think it's necessary to have a label attached to my skating status just so that i feel better about my status. I don't think anyone said that it was easy to learn novice moves or to land double jumps but I have. And I started as an adult. And I have never competed. And I certainly don't think I'm chopped liver, no not even close. LOL