View Full Version : Anyone want to play guess the skates ?

3skatekiddos
03-22-2007, 11:28 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=007&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=170093941258&rd=1&rd=1

I won them off ebay. I think they are Freestyles although I am not sure of the blades. I guess I'll know for sure when they get here. Half the fun of ebay is the wait. NOT.
If they don't work for us I'll resell them at the club sale in September so I am not worried about that.

Isk8NYC
03-22-2007, 11:37 AM
I think you won a pair of Jackson Freestyles with MK Mark IV blades!
The original price of $200 is about right for that model.

They might be a few years old - I think the new Freestyle model (introduced last year) has a "V" notch at the ankle.
When she gets ready to wear them, have the skates heat molded for your DD's feet and ask for a "competitive sharpening" of the blades.

Congrats.

herniated
03-22-2007, 11:47 AM
I think they are freestyle too. It said in the description the blades say MK on them. I don't remember what that means. They look like a decent freestyle blade though. Check it out with the coach.:)

3skatekiddos
03-22-2007, 04:13 PM
Yay me !!!!!
So even if they are a few years old they can be heat molded ? Can they be re-heat molded if they have already been done ?

I want to say a quick " Thanks " to all who have been patient enough to answer my seeming endless questions !!!! I am so happy I found this forum. I swaer it makes me look less ignorant at the rink. :)

Ice Dancer
03-22-2007, 05:55 PM
I think you won a pair of Jackson Freestyles with MK Mark IV blades!

I'm not sure if they are Mark IV blades, I have those and they say Ultima on them and not MK.

They look good though!

Isk8NYC
03-22-2007, 06:34 PM
I'm not sure if they are Mark IV blades, I have those and they say Ultima on them and not MK. Just checked my DD's and you're right; the Mark IV are Ultimas. Hmmm. Wonder what blade's on these? Hope it's a good one.

dbny
03-22-2007, 07:35 PM
I'm not sure if they are Mark IV blades, I have those and they say Ultima on them and not MK.

I had a pair of Jacksons years ago that I'm pretty sure had MK Mark IV blades.
They don't say "Mark IV", instead it's "IV".

3skatekiddos
03-22-2007, 09:26 PM
There are two stars on the right skate with the number “21” and letters “MK.”

This was the reply I got from her. So MK 21's ? That should be fine for DD, yes ? She will JUST be going into an intermediate level when these fit. I think. As long her feet don't realise that I've bought her new skates and shoot up right through this size. I hate it when that happens. That's why I almost never buy ahead for the kids. It's a talent I have for guessing wrong :)

dbny
03-22-2007, 09:33 PM
I've never heard of MK 21's, but I thought the two stars are for "Double Stars".

3skatekiddos
03-23-2007, 07:58 AM
http://www.usaskates.com/figureskateblades/mk21skateblade.html

http://www.usaskates.com/figureskateblades/mkdoublestarskateblade.html

Are the double stars better blades ? Or just newer ?

Isk8NYC
03-23-2007, 09:28 AM
Maybe they're the same thing (the specs are the same), but one is a "stock version" and one is a "ordered version?"

If you send MK a note asking the difference, let us know what they reply.

DallasSkater
03-24-2007, 07:13 AM
The MK 21 blade is a blade that comes on most Riedell boots that have a blade in a "package". You can also buy them alone. They are "rated" for beginners through single jumps. The retail value is about 45 dollars new. I have seen them as high as 65. I bought them when I started but found I needed to upgrade for better spins and the pick is difficult for toe pick jumps.

They will do fine for a while though.

slusher
03-25-2007, 09:23 AM
I think they're Jackson Competitors based on what I can see of the colour of the tongue lining. With those blades, they're about six years or older. Good buy in any case, the blades look like there's lots of sharpening left on them.

3skatekiddos
03-27-2007, 07:22 AM
So I did email MK and got the strangest response. He recommended the MK Dance blade for her, for her level and said that the MK 21 is really only good for an absolute beginner. That sounds odd to me just from reading the descriptions of blades on websites. Any thoughts ?

icedancer2
03-27-2007, 02:21 PM
A dance blade? Does she do dance?
I wold never recmmend a dance blade for anyone doing spins and jumps! Plus for freestyle, there are other stability factors in play.
How about a CoronationAce? Good blade for almost any level.

twokidsskatemom
03-27-2007, 03:27 PM
So I did email MK and got the strangest response. He recommended the MK Dance blade for her, for her level and said that the MK 21 is really only good for an absolute beginner. That sounds odd to me just from reading the descriptions of blades on websites. Any thoughts ?

I would say its for a beginner as well , from the website.Its even lower I think than a club2000.
Im not sure why the dance blade unless she does dance?
I wouldnt say the double star and 21 are the same blade, far from it !! Are you sure its a 21 blade ? Do you have anyone to double check for you ?