View Full Version : Lake placid public ice

newskaker5
03-20-2007, 05:13 PM
I am going to lake placid for a few days starting on Saturday. I would love to skate while I am up there, but the people I am going with need to be on public sessions, not freestyle. Is there any option for indoor public skating there? I can only find info on the freestyle sessions and club ice as well as outdoor on the speedskating oval sessions? Any advice?

dbny
03-20-2007, 05:23 PM
The Lussi rink is usually open for public sessions at night. It can be very crowded and has no boards at all, you just step on. It's also rather small.

newskaker5
03-20-2007, 05:42 PM
Thank you - I will look into it - BTW - can you do freestyle elements such as spins/jumps on the public speed skating oval?

dbny
03-20-2007, 05:51 PM
Thank you - I will look into it - BTW - can you do freestyle elements such as spins/jumps on the public speed skating oval?

I don't about that, but you're not allowed to do any freestyle at the Lussi public sessions. We were there when DD was about 11, and she skated around jumping behind the guard :).

LWalsh
03-20-2007, 06:20 PM
I go there frequently throughout the year and the public sessions are usally om the 1932 rink (next to the Lussi Rinik which seems to be down everytime I'm there). You can't do freestyle on the oval but you should skate on it at least once anyway. Go at night, it's more fun then. Just practice stroking.

Have a great time!

newskaker5
03-20-2007, 06:31 PM
Thank you all so much for the info - can you do any freestyle on the 1932 rink?

DallasSkater
03-20-2007, 09:41 PM
I will be going to the adult skate camp in Lake Placid in June. The information I have from them so far indicates that there are "adult only" sessions available throughout the day. Maybe that is only for the week since we are there for adult week, but I would check to see if they might have that option during other times too. It appears that it is offered once to several times a day while camp is going in addition to the camp class times and regular public sessions.

Newskater: Would love to hear about your experiences there when you return! This will be my first time to Lake Placid...and even first time to a skate camp.

newskaker5
03-20-2007, 10:58 PM
It is my first time too - so I will be happy to share. We are going for a few days to ski/snowboard, etc but I want to skate a bit and show off what I have learned this year too haha:lol: - I hope the weather will be nice - I am most excited to try bobsleding8O - I will let you know how it goes :)

dbny
03-20-2007, 11:02 PM
I'm pretty sure the adult skating is only for adult weeks, but it looks like my other info re the Lussi rink is out of date.

lovepairs
03-21-2007, 08:07 AM
I'm pretty sure that the Lussi Rink is history by now. Last summer when I was up there for Adult Week I was told that they were permanently taking Lussi down and turning it into a "convention hall." Sad...it was a nice rink, and dedicated to the irreverent Gus Lussi. :bow:

Isk8NYC
03-21-2007, 11:35 AM
I skated on the oval a while ago. They don't want you doing freestyle at all, but the oval's so big, you can usually get away with a few things because the guards can't be everywhere at once.

I skated on a Lake Placid public session on the Lussi rink about 2 years ago. The guards wouldn't let my DD or I do any freestyle, and they gave us a hard time about skating backwards and doing three-turns. (So, you skate behind the guard and have someone be the lookout.) The Lussi rink is/was teeny-tiny without walls, so maybe the other rinks have less-stringent rules for public sessions. You might want to call and ask.

PS - I didn't know they were taking down the Lussi rink. Glad I went on that public session, or I would have lost the opportunity. I've skated on every one of the rinks - publics on the Lussi and Oval; competitions on the USA, 1932 and 1980 arenas.