View Full Version : Mr. Edge - Skating Magazine

herniated
03-20-2007, 04:29 PM
Hi All,
Has anyone read Mr.Edge's article yet in SKATING magazine this month? I found it to be sarcastic and basically his stage to make fun of the adult skater.:twisted: I emailed him and told him how I felt. What do you all think? Some of his advice is sound but again between the little bits of advice were... I can't even go on.

dbny
03-20-2007, 05:26 PM
I didn't take it that way at all. I think he was just trying to be humerous. Here's the article (http://www.usfigureskating.org/Magazine.asp?id=55&issue=37959), for anyone who wants to have a look now. I haven't gotten my mag in the mail yet.

jazzpants
03-20-2007, 06:00 PM
I also didn't take it as a slam against adult skaters. If anything, I took it to mean that he's actually trying to make more of an effort to understand adult skaters needs, which is totally different from child skaters.

I went thru a similar battle between my body and ego for my lower back last Tuesday. Ego won out but I did way too many jumps!!! Took a couple of days for the lower back to be well enough to jump again but it's a reminder that I have to make due with what my body can do...

This week my secondary coach knows to give my lower back a break! Didn't jump 'til the last 5 minutes!!! :bow:

But yeah, I could see the 40 year old comment kinda got to me a bit. I mean I'm almost 40... and I'm determined to skate like this year's Midwestern and Pacific Coast Adult Sectionals Champ Gold Ladies champs when I grow up!!! (Thank you Cinderella and Carolee Prudie!!! They're my heroes!!!) :bow: ETA: So is doubletoe too, since I see she's posting to this thread too!!! ;)

phoenix
03-20-2007, 06:01 PM
I don't find it very funny either. Maybe it's just his poor writing, but to me it comes across like he doesn't know much about adult skating/skaters. And isn't one himself. I will definitely NOT be stopping by the Harlick booth at AN to say hello!

The only really good point he makes is to make sure you get a good fit in your boots & that you're not over booted. A skate technician knows nothing about maintaining fitness levels as an adult athlete & shouldn't pretend he does. (basically he says, "slow down, take it easy, don't work so hard. It doesn't matter anyway, & you'll never be able to handle it. You probably can't do it anyway.")

He apparently thinks that once you hit 40 you're no longer an athlete, no matter how active you've been your whole life. Wonder what he thinks of the 60-70 year olds who do the Ironman every year?!

herniated
03-20-2007, 06:06 PM
The part that bugs me the most is when he says, to '...take a break, sit down and have a cup of java. It's OK to relax, take your time and talk to other skaters.' Ummm, I don't spend $11- $23 and hour for freestyle sessions to have a cup of coffee. I may do that after but not during my session. And if I'm hurting so bad that I have to get off, I go home!!

doubletoe
03-20-2007, 06:13 PM
I think the recommendations he makes are very worthwhile; it's just a shame some of his valuable message gets lost in his attempt at being entertaining. Probably because he himself is an adult, he feels like he's got some license when it comes to painting a humorous picture of skating as an over-40 adult. Unfortunately, he indulges in a few stereotypes that I found annoying as a serious over-40 skater who can do a low sitspin and does not trip over my big toepicks. . . Excuse me, but a "cup of java" during a skating practice??

Oh, Herniated, I just saw your post, LOL! Yeah, exactly. Not only is coffee NOT the sports drink of champions, but I only WISH I made enough money not to count every single minute on those expensive freestyle sessions (and, no, I don't mean "coffee club" LOL!).

dbny
03-20-2007, 06:16 PM
A skate technician knows nothing about maintaining fitness levels as an adult athlete & shouldn't pretend he does. (basically he says, "slow down, take it easy, don't work so hard. It doesn't matter anyway, & you'll never be able to handle it. You probably can't do it anyway.")

The part that bugs me the most is when he says, to '...take a break, sit down and have a cup of java. It's OK to relax, take your time and talk to other skaters.' Ummm, I don't spend $11- $23 and hour for freestyle sessions to have a cup of coffee. I may do that after but not during my session. And if I'm hurting so bad that I have to get off, I go home!!

Both good points. I agree that the content is not positive, but I really don't think the guy meant any harm. Perhaps a well thought out written reply is in order.

dbny
03-20-2007, 06:25 PM
herniated - just noticed you're in NY. Which boro?

jazzpants
03-20-2007, 06:31 PM
Oh, Herniated, I just saw your post, LOL! Yeah, exactly. Not only is coffee NOT the sports drink of champions, but I only WISH I made enough money not to count every single minute on those expensive freestyle sessions (and, no, I don't mean "coffee club" LOL!).Uh, oh!!! :oops: (I do have my joe with my egg whites, chicken sausage and veggies... would that count??? :halo: :lol: ) Keep me away from the donuts at coffee club too!!! :twisted:

Yeah, I know! My FS session ain't cheap either, though definitely not that bad compared to the NYC rinks! :evil:

herniated
03-20-2007, 07:21 PM
herniated - just noticed you're in NY. Which boro?

Hi dbny,
I live in New York, but not New York City. I live on eastern Long Island!

doubletoe
03-20-2007, 08:11 PM
Uh, oh!!! :oops: (I do have my joe with my egg whites, chicken sausage and veggies... would that count??? :halo: :lol: ) Keep me away from the donuts at coffee club too!!! :twisted:

Yeah, I know! My FS session ain't cheap either, though definitely not that bad compared to the NYC rinks! :evil:

You eat egg whites, chicken sausage and veggies WHILE SKATING?! 8O

skaternum
03-20-2007, 08:43 PM
I've never like his column, regardless of the topic. They're poorly written, and he comes across like an a**hat. I found this column to pretty much bear that out. Love the "reality check" at the beginning. :roll: Duh. Then there's this:
Let's start with how good a skater we think we are compared to how our coach or other people see us. Now, couple that with thoughts of youthfulness dancing in our heads…could this be an accident waiting to happen?

This is just insulting to me. At the age of 30, when I started skating, I knew my body better than any of the 9 year olds on the ice with me.

The main point of his article, which had almost nothing to do with equpiment, by the way (when did he become a part time therapist and personal trainer too?) is that we let our egos push us beyond where our bodies can take us. Puhleeze. GMAFB. If anything, the adult skaters I know are overly cautious. You could say the same thing about the kids at the rink. How many of them can't take more than a day off of their training when they're sick or injured?

I feel a letter to the editor coming on.

garusha
03-20-2007, 08:46 PM
Even though it looks like Mr. Edge wasn't trying to be particularly nasty, his style does sound patronizing. There are many adult skaters who manage to learn difficult moves, to compete and to become very good skaters. Personally, I think the main difference between a child and an adult skater is that it takes an adult more time to learn a certain element. But it doesn't mean that an adult skater has to give up when he/she can't, let us say, land an axel right away. It may take years to land it, but why give up? Listening to your body is fine, but not challenging it is not right. Of course, if you are tired or sick, you need to take it easy for a while, but giving up is not even an option.
As for coffee breaks, when I'm on the ice, I'm so excited that all I want is to keep practicing. Of course, I've never practiced more than two hours at a time. If I skated four or five hours a day, then, sure, I would take breaks, but not during a short practice. By the way, my coach sometimes has to tell the children to get back on the ice and practice, but she never has to tell me to stop wasting time.

b viswanathan
03-20-2007, 09:04 PM
I also was a tad irked at his column. He kept saying "ego" tells us to do something (get out there and skate too hard) and then common sense tells us to be more sensible (not overdo it). The use of the word itself bugs me - it's not "ego" in adults, necessarily, any more than it is in kids. It's keen interest and desire!

I agree that he probably doesn't mean the tone of voice to offend. He's a bit tone-deaf, though, which is unfortunate in the one columnist covering adult skating this month. So thanks for emailing him, herniated.

jskater49
03-20-2007, 09:05 PM
I've never like his column, regardless of the topic. They're poorly written, and he comes across like an a**hat. .

I was going to say the same thing, I find his column to be the least useful or interesting thing in the magazine. Not sure what an a-hat is though. ;)

If anything, the adult skaters I know are overly cautious. .

No kidding...I thought his advice to basically give up if you can't do an element, geesh that's the last thing I need to be encouraged to do. He'd have probably told me to quit trying to pass the Dutch Waltz after my second try! :roll:

j

Debbie S
03-20-2007, 10:18 PM
OK, just read the article (I haven't yet received the new Skating Mag, either). I agree that it's poorly written and is a bit snide, like many of his columns. As far as his "Skate Safely" tips, I do agree with #1 and #2. I think with #3, he was trying to say not to skate more hours/sessions than is productive, esp if you are feeling pain somewhere....but that's what anyone will tell you about any activity, including gym workouts. However, the suggestion of getting off the ice in the middle of sessions we've paid for (unless there's some injury that needs to be attended to immediately) to socialize and take a break is ridiculous.

As for #4, I don't know what the guy means by "perfection" vs "ability to do it", but for those of us who compete and/or test, we sure as heck need to perfect what we're doing, or come pretty close. I don't know if the judges will pass an 8-step mohawk sequence where the mohawk is flat and the feet step too far apart - so despite my wipeout while practicing that move on Sunday (my blade hit the ice heel first), I better keep practicing it and not be content with my current ability and "move on", b/c I'll never pass Silver MIF. (and don't get me started on the cross strokes and 3-turns) :twisted:

The Ego-Body "conversation" was kind of pointless. Most adults are very in tune with their bodies, much more than the kids. That doesn't mean that we won't get aches and pains, as we (and kids) would get with any activity, but that doesn't mean we should stop skating. As phoenix said, fitness issues aren't exactly his domain - he should stick to skates.

The advice about boot fit and not getting over-booted was helpful. The blades advice was kind of strange, though. I don't get the part about getting a blade that "goes end to end" for more stability, but that it makes spinning harder. I thought blades (well, the plate that attaches to the sole, anyway) were supposed to go end to end. :??

jazzpants
03-21-2007, 01:41 AM
You eat egg whites, chicken sausage and veggies WHILE SKATING?! 8OOh, NO!!! LOL!!! Just before I leave for the rink though! I skate on the ice!!! I bought ice time and I expect to be skating and practicing the whole time I'm on ice!!! :lol: I'm just commenting on the comment about "coffee not being the beverage for champions" part. LOL!!!

I thought about #3 and my answer to him is "Yes, it's quality time for me!!! And that's all the more reason why I would want to STAY on the ice!!!" :lol: And if I'm really hurt on the ice, I would not just go and sit on the bench and have a joe! I would be calling my GP or my chiro (who's on my speed dial) for an appt. PRONTO!!! (Can't 'ya tell I have AOSS???) :lol: And as for talking with people... for some people, they just want to get their skates on and get on the ice and then get off the ice and rush to work. I try to limit my time with people, though obviously I'm still polite enough to say hello and how are you and stuff.

#4 is a "It depends!" My experience with loops and flips is that on the days that those jumps go on a weekend getaway, the last thing I want to do is force it to happen. I'm more likely to reinforce bad habits. Sometimes you have to know when to back off and say "You know... I'm teaching myself some bad habits trying to fix it. I better have my coach look at it instead." However, there are cases where your aim is to keep practicing it until your good habits becomes automatic! (Like my backspin exercise!!!) :rolls:

herniated: My in-laws are in LI too! But I'm WEST and South LI... My LIRR train ride into Manhattan is only a half hour away (assuming I get the train right on schedule.) :D

Skaternum: a-hat!!! LOL!!! :lol: (I'll have to remember that one if I wanted to call someone by a much harsh name but not get censored by the auto-language censor that's on this board! Tee hee hee... :twisted: ) But yeah, in my case, I'm on the "overly cautious" end and that kept me from progressing. I'm starting to get a bit more "brave" now and trying to risk falling more. Majority of the falls I take so far (*knock on ice*) aren't that bad, especially at high speed and I'm sliding down the ice on my butt. (Now if I went bowling and knock another skater, THEN it would hurt!!! 8O )

If Mr. Edge wants me to be more "cautious", I think he have to answer to pretty much ALL my coaches!!! They all will have a few things to say about that! :twisted: :lol:

flo
03-21-2007, 08:23 AM
Makes me wonder what adult skaters he knows. :roll:

Sonic
03-21-2007, 09:36 AM
I don't know why he didn't go the whole hog and just say 'Why do you adults bother skating'.

I take this guy and his 'advice' (otherwise known as 'common sense') with a large pinch of salt.

...or maybe I should fly over to the Harlick booth at the Adult Championships in Bensenville and kick him in the (edited) with my unnecessarily large toe picks - if my ego doesn't stop me, that is! :mrgreen:

S xxx

phoenix
03-21-2007, 09:38 AM
...or maybe I should fly over to the Harlick booth at the Adult Championships in Bensenville and kick him in the (edited) with my unnecessarily large toe picks - if my ego doesn't stop me, that is! :mrgreen:

S xxx

:lol: :lol: :bow:

Bill_S
03-21-2007, 09:48 AM
Hmm...

Am I the only one who got a little chuckle out of the article? It does reflect a little bit of reality as far as I'm concerned. Maybe being 57 makes me more familiar with the ego/body discussion in the article.

I don' t like coffee though.:lol:

Isk8NYC
03-21-2007, 10:04 AM
I look at it this way: he's a pro shop guy who takes the time to write a column. He's not a comedic writer learning about boots and fitting. I don't think he's a coach or adult skater. I take what he says with a grain of salt, but his columns usually include some advice that's worthwhile.

It wasn't particularly funny, but I did smile once or twice and I really wasn't offended.
I thought most of his comments were right on (for me) - although on bad days, this 45-year old brings the java on the ice instead of a water bottle.

BTW - TODAY IS FREE ICED COFFEE DAY AT DUNKIN' DONUTS! HAPPY SPRING!

jazzpants
03-21-2007, 11:10 AM
Makes me wonder what adult skaters he knows. :roll:Me thinks he's been hanging out at the COFFEE CLUB crowd.
BTW - TODAY IS FREE ICED COFFEE DAY AT DUNKIN' DONUTS! HAPPY SPRING!Hate you guys in the East Coast! :x (We don't have ANY Dunkin' Donuts in Calfornia...)

S xxxOMG!!! 8O 8O 8O :lol: :lol: :lol: :bow: (And report back too!) :halo:

blue111moon
03-21-2007, 11:20 AM
I'm with Bill S. I didn't mind the article. But then I'm 53, I've been skating as an adult for more than 20 years and I've learned to listen to my body a long time ago. There are just some things that my body cannot do (spread eagles, for example) so there's no sense stressing myself out over it. I did like his points that skating's supposed to be fun and that for most of us, there's a job waiting that wouldn't be helped by an injury. We do have to be realistic - or at least I do.

I didn't take the coffee remark as offensive either. Sometimes it's wiser to realize that, for some strange reason - bad biorhythms, planetary misalignment, hormonal upheavel, a cold coming on, whatever - this isn't a good time to skate and that a break may be what's needed to set things on track again. Yes, ice time is expensive but so is hospitalization. I'd rather take ten minutes out of a freestyle session to get myself together than push through an ache or a pain and do major damage to my aging bones just so I don't "waste the money."

I've said this before, but one of things I like most about skating as an adult is that I don't HAVE to pressure myself to master X number of skills before my next birthday. I work at my pace and as long as I see progress, that's fine with me. I'm here to enjoy the ride, even if it is, at this point in my life, downhill. :)

herniated
03-21-2007, 11:24 AM
You go Sonic!! My thoughts exactly!! I think if he says anything stupid at AN he will get an earfull. I wish I was going this year just to see the fall out, but I must get rid of my kidney stones, Alas:cry:

My skate boot guy who shall remain nameless, knows this dude and feels he is a big doofus!:lol:

flo
03-21-2007, 11:31 AM
I sent him an e-mail. He's the Harlick guy?

b viswanathan
03-21-2007, 11:36 AM
I see and appreciate Bill S. and bluemoon's point about taking care, being thoughtful, and not overworking. I just don't think it needs to be underlined in an article to adult skaters. We tend to be the careful ones - we can't afford to get injured, and we recover more slowly, no doubt - and if anything, most of us have learned these lessons of care on our own (in my case, sometimes the hard way, but that's not always a bad thing, too).

It reminds me of how women were once cautioned to be more "careful" than men because we were supposedly more "delicate" creatures. That's the same kind of patronizing, although of course not the same audience. Did anyone ever lecture men that way?

And now, does anyone lecture competitive kids not to overdo it on stressful jumps and over-training? But who gets injured more, kids or adults? I bet a scientific study would be revealing. Stress injuries have risen among child athletes by huge numbers (for instance, "pitcher's elbow" has debilitated a whole young generation of ballplayers, as never before in the history of baseball). So why don't we see articles in Skating (the "official" magazine) about childrens' vulnerabilities?

I guess maybe I'm humorless. But I like my humor leavened with respect; and I don't think Mr. Edge conveys respect for adult athletes - even if he is one.

Summerkid710
03-21-2007, 11:56 AM
As an adult skater, coach, and someone who works for a pro shop, I have never found his advice particularly helpful.

Because he works for Harlick, he has a bias (e.g. adults should buy custom skates. Hmm. Like Harlick Customs?). They really should find someone who has a broader point of view. It's like having someone who works for Nike review and recommend athletic shoes. I'm not saying he doesn't understand the mechanics of boots, blades, and fitting but Mr. Edge is going to favor the product he knows best. There was an article a few issues ago about the Paramounts. It was like he copied directly from the promotional info from Paramount. Not very balanced reporting.

In my experience in fitting and coaching adult skaters, I wish he would have mentioned the fact that the more expensive the boot does not mean that it is the best (and the best boot for you.) He mentioned overbooting but I wish he would have explained it better.

As an example, I have spoken with an adult skater working on waltz jumps, skating just once a week who asked me about getting for her the Graf Edmonton Special and Wilson Gold Seal blades. She told me "money is no object." Well, great and as much as I would love to overboot you and oversell you, you will never be able to bend your knees the the Edmontons and then my company and I will look bad for not knowing what a skater with those variables can progress in. I gave her two options that were skate sets that would give her the appropriate amount of ankle support for what she would be working on for a while. Did I potentially lose hundreds of dollars in a sale, yes. Did I do the right thing? I think so because it's my job to assist my customers in selecting the right boot for them. At least he says, do not get overbooted but he did not explain it enough for me.

There is so much knowlege needed to fit skaters and some of what Mr. Edge says is right on but he's done a real disservice about the customs thing and having more stability on a heel to toe blade fit and saying that spins will be more difficult.*

* More of the blade surface will be on the ice = more drag but he fails to take into account any explanation of the radius of the blade which can also give you the feeling of more stability (ie Wilson Coronation Comet vs. a MK Professional) regardless of the fit.

b viswanathan
03-21-2007, 12:05 PM
Summerkid, could you please explain how to get fitted for the best boots (for you) when so many pro shops seem to have preferences (if not outright "deals" with certain brands) that they really push? Is there a way to test drive Grafs, say, if your dealer only pushes Jacksons (sorry to make it sound like drugs!!)?

Is there a good source to read up on the differences between skates, blades, and the combo of skates/blades?

Maybe this is a topic for a new thread?

Mrs Redboots
03-21-2007, 12:28 PM
I will definitely NOT be stopping by the Harlick booth at AN to say hello!Then I hope you will stop by the Harlick booth and drag him out of there, by his ear if necessary, to watch some of the adults skate - people like Sherry Dowlen (isn't she 70 now?), or Jack Lineham (87 years young, and I think I've spelt his last name wrong, but you know who I mean), or any of the Class V crowd. Or some of the totally awesome younger folk in class II and III, too.

And I have to confess that I would find it hard to practice in the early mornings without a large travel mug of unsweetened black coffee (taste, not virtue, but it's real, not instant!) sitting on the sides of the boards awaiting my attention!

The skate-mums at our rink have a rota for going out to the very good hole-in-the-wall coffee shop by the station and getting coffee for themselves, the pros, and some of the skaters!

Summerkid710
03-21-2007, 01:22 PM
The pro shop I work for (which I try never to post so I don't sound like I'm trying to sell anything, always feel free to PM me if you have specific questions) does NOT have any deals with specific brands. Further, we do NOT get any commission so there is no drive to sell someone more than they need. Also we do not carry every brand because it becomes impossible to maintain stock in that many boots of that many sizes and widths and not because we don't think they are good skates.

My fitting method goes a little something like this: skating level, how often you skate, how fast you've advanced, growing foot or not, wide foot or not, weird foot problems (bunions, spurs, flat, big arch), height and weight, how hard on your boots are you, what are you currently wearing and does it work for you and also does your coach have a recommendation because they already know how you skate. Now, the coach recommendation sometimes does not help because they will recommend what they have so I weigh it according to the other information. All of those things form a picture to me. I can hone in on what would be appropriate for you.

As far as reading up on the boots and blades, most companies have websites (some are better than others) that can point you in the right direction as far as the right combination for you but there are always exceptions based on the criteria I listed above.

Here are a few translations across different brands:
1. V-notch, V-Cut, Flex Notch: Different ways to describe the v shaped cut out at the ankle. This helps boots be more flexible from the get-go making break in easier.

2. Heat moldable: Always do the heat molding. Always.

3. Padded collar, roll top: The top of the boot is finished off. It wasn't always this way leading to some irritation where the top of the boot meets the ankle.

4. Blade Rockers or Radii: What are the basic differences? 7 foot? 8 foot? 8.5 foot? The bigger the rocker, the more blade on the ice (stabler). The shorter the rocker, the less blade on the ice (tippier). MK blades are all 7 foot. Ultima blades are all 8 foot. Wilson has blades that are 7, 8 and 8.5 foot depending on the blade. Paramounts are 8 foot. I am not sure about Watts or Graf but I could find out. The rocker is determined by the curvature of the blade (it's really only part of the blade, blades have several rockers) and what size circle that curvature would create. The Skateology book by Sid Broadbent is very technical but explains this all in detail.

doubletoe
03-21-2007, 01:39 PM
Oh, NO!!! LOL!!! Just before I leave for the rink though! I skate on the ice!!! I bought ice time and I expect to be skating and practicing the whole time I'm on ice!!! :lol: I'm just commenting on the comment about "coffee not being the beverage for champions" part. LOL!!!

Oh, okay, just checking, LOL! I'm not saying I can skate the 6:30am session without having my precious cappuccino first (I drink it in the car on the way to the rink), I just don't see coffee as something to sip to stay hydrated between program run-throughs! That's why I figured Mr. Edge must not know many competitive adult skaters.

Isk8NYC
03-21-2007, 01:45 PM
Maybe he's using coaches as reference: almost every coach at the early AM sessions has a hot cup of something on the boards.
(Although, I suspect some have more than just coffee, tea, cocoa, or soup....) :twisted:

Hate you guys in the East Coast! :x (We don't have ANY Dunkin' Donuts in Calfornia...)That's right, I forgot you don't have DD. Sorry for you. :(

Team Arthritis
03-21-2007, 01:49 PM
Did I potentially lose hundreds of dollars in a sale, yes. Did I do the right thing? I think so because it's my job to assist my customers in selecting the right boot for them. At least he says, do not get overbooted but he did not explain it enough for me.

:bow: Mark of a true professional: just do what's right! http://www.cosgan.de/images/midi/froehlich/a040.gif

I thought that the most telling part of the article comes at the beginning when he mentions that he's never thought about adult skaters before. To me that translates to "I don't know what I'm talking about, but that won;t stop me from speaking my mind"...
http://www.cosgan.de/images/midi/boese/a035.gif

ANd Skaternum - luckily, one of my new partners explained to me just what an A**hat was, LOL yet another new adjective, oh the things we learn skating:P
Lyle

Summerkid710
03-21-2007, 01:49 PM
Whether coaching or skating, I prefer a Frappaccino.

jskater49
03-21-2007, 02:24 PM
Maybe he's using coaches as reference: almost every coach at the early AM sessions has a hot cup of something on the boards.
(Although, I suspect some have more than just coffee, tea, cocoa, or soup....) :twisted:

That's right, I forgot you don't have DD. Sorry for you. :(

I used to know some adults that would bring a cask of something strong to calm their nerves before a test. I was afraid it would affect more than my nerves so I never partook...

j

herniated
03-21-2007, 02:43 PM
I was thinking the same thing as Mrs.Redboots. Mr. Edge needs to see some adult skaters skate!! By the way Mrs. Redboots - are your boots red?

Anyway, Just wanted to say it's great hearing all of your opinions on this and all topics. It's comforting to me to hear I am not alone in my thoughts. Not too many adult skaters at the hour I skate. I am planning on writing to the editor of SKATING. A very tactful letter of course. Maybe Mr. Edge is just uninformed. Anyway, keep your thoughts coming in!!:)

jazzpants
03-21-2007, 02:51 PM
Because he works for Harlick, he has a bias (e.g. adults should buy custom skates. Hmm. Like Harlick Customs?). They really should find someone who has a broader point of view. It's like having someone who works for Nike review and recommend athletic shoes. I'm not saying he doesn't understand the mechanics of boots, blades, and fitting but Mr. Edge is going to favor the product he knows best. There was an article a few issues ago about the Paramounts. It was like he copied directly from the promotional info from Paramount. Not very balanced reporting.
Tee hee hee. Just had to chuckle b/c I am BOTH a Harlick Custom boot owner AND a Nike gal. :P :lol: For ME anyway, both of those worked out quite well. For others, YMMV.

Oh, okay, just checking, LOL! I'm not saying I can skate the 6:30am session without having my precious cappuccino first (I drink it in the car on the way to the rink), I just don't see coffee as something to sip to stay hydrated between program run-throughs! That's why I figured Mr. Edge must not know many competitive adult skaters.That is so surprising!!! He's probably fitted at least quite a few competitive adult skaters! I'm just looking thru the CAS posting and I see quite a few skater on the board who has seen Mr. Edge. That's why I find this article a bit weird... KWIM? 8O :?? And he's gonna be at AN, so he MUST know that we (competitive adult skaters) do exist!!!

The skate-mums at our rink have a rota for going out to the very good hole-in-the-wall coffee shop by the station and getting coffee for themselves, the pros, and some of the skaters!I sometimes keep a thermis of my latte with vanilla sweetener in case I don't finish my food but not my coffee. It's a NICE treat AFTER my skate during my drive home! 8-)

I gifted my secondary coach this year with a thermis. She *LOVES* her Starbucks!!! :P :lol:

techskater
03-21-2007, 03:14 PM
You've got to know John to appreciate the tongue in cheek he wrote this with.

I have dealt with John for a number of years (6 to be exact) and that man knows his stuff when it comes to fitting boots as all three pairs he has fit me for are PERFECT as is the mounting. :bow: He does work a lot with Harlick (he has Master fitter status with Harlick along with a couple other manufacturers) but he also works with SP Teri, Klingbiel, Jackson, Reidell, Gam, etc and makes sure that the boot chosen matches the skater's foot type and level. He has a goofy personality, but he is in no way a goofball professionally. Many boot fitters can be back stabbing with one another and there are a lot of rude comments made by those who are seeking to make a name for themselves against people who are established.

He does not push custom boots when you go to see him in person unless it is the last option for your feet. He always looks for an off the shelf or partially customized option first before going the custom route. He doesn't want people to spend money when it's not necessary and he doesn't push a particular brand. He has gone out of his way to make things work for people (punch outs, insoles, wedges, inserts, "interesting" mounting options, and the list goes on).

He was at both ANs in Ann Arbor fitting boots, so he has seen first hand adult competitors and competition and has fit a number of other adults (some on this board and some not). The biggest problem I have when I go to see him is that if I make an appointment, he is always ~ 30-60 minutes behind, just like going to the doctor. :lol:

John helped a friend of mine even when she did not order her skates through him to get resolution from SP Teri because her boot fitter had given up on the situation but didn't get her the right people to contact to get it done herself. He didn't have to do that, but it WAS good customer service for the future. She said she would definitely get all her boots from him in the future because of his help, even though she's 3 hours away.

No, I am NOT John, but I DO know him and I completely appreciate the work he has done for me in the past and the services he will continue to supply.

Summerkid710
03-21-2007, 04:26 PM
Day to day, the man behind Mr. Edge may not recommend Customs but he did in his article for adult skaters. That is what bothers me.

daisies
03-21-2007, 04:37 PM
Then I hope you will stop by the Harlick booth and drag him out of there, by his ear if necessary, to watch some of the adults skate - people like Sherry Dowlen (isn't she 70 now?)...
Sherry is about my age -- maybe late 30s. Maybe you're thinking of her mom, Yvonne?

manleywoman
03-21-2007, 05:13 PM
Day to day, the man behind Mr. Edge may not recommend Customs but he did in his article for adult skaters. That is what bothers me.

It didn't bother me, because frankly adults are perfect for customs. Our feet have stopped growing (except for the occasional bunion/corn!) and a good pair of customs can last years as a result. i know mine have, and I'm pounding the double jumps every time I skate. Some adults may have the perfect feet for a stock noot, but I sure don't know many of them. We tend to have wierd feet by the time we hit our 30s.

Which is not to say I appreciated the tone of his article, because I didn't. Just saying that that particular point didn't bother me.

herniated
03-21-2007, 05:28 PM
Hi Techskater,
I can appreciate your post. And you seem to know John "Mr. Edge" well. And I'm sure he has helped many. But...my concern is many who read SKATING magazine do not know his goofy nature or personalilty as you stated. As you can see from this thread (which I started) many adults are insulted. As an adult skating ambassador for the Adult skating Committee we work on promoting adult figure skating.

This article does not seem to promote adult skating and I fear to some it may reinforce ideas that we are all just silly adults wasting time and money. If you went on the thread 'Comments to the Adult skater' which I started too, you will see there are many misconceptions and negative comments already regarding our skating. The last thing we need is a writer in SKATING putting us down. Even in jest. Remember, others do not know this man and many across the world read the mag.

Since you know him well maybe you could show him this thread.

Mrs Redboots
03-21-2007, 06:26 PM
I used to know some adults that would bring a cask of something strong to calm their nerves before a test. I was afraid it would affect more than my nerves so I never partook...

j

No, but afterwards is quite another matter. I have saved a miniature single Highland malt for Saturday night.... must remember to pack it!

I was thinking the same thing as Mrs.Redboots. Mr. Edge needs to see some adult skaters skate!! By the way Mrs. Redboots - are your boots red? No, only the covers. And this morning the boot-covers were variegated green knit ones. These:

http://mrs-redboots.sk8rland.com/pictures/?a=thumb&i=Knit+and+crochet+pictures%2FBootcovers+on+skates .JPG
(Why does the IMG tag no longer work?)

Sherry is about my age -- maybe late 30s. Maybe you're thinking of her mom, Yvonne?Knew I'd get it the wrong way round. Duh.....

Michigansk8er
03-21-2007, 06:34 PM
If he's who I think he is ..........and I'll finally find out............he sell's Harlicks. He doesn't work for them but is a skate guy based in the Chicago area. I would never let this guy measure me for boots again. I'm really curious, that's for sure.

myste12
03-21-2007, 07:14 PM
I just read the article, and I am a bit offended.

I think the intention of the article was to be funny, but it came off as rather patronizing. I know that I certainly can't affort to spend my freestyle time talking and drinking coffee. And, I'm certainly not going to give up trying to perfect something just because I happen to be an adult. I also didn't appreciate the comment about a "nice, soft, supple boot works best". That may be true for dancers or lower level freestylers, but some of us adults are still trying to "pop off a few doubles", and too soft a boot would be totally inappropriate. The article seemed to imply that most adults are lower level skaters, and that they should be content with that. As far as the comments regarding stretching and backing off when you're hurting, that should go for all skaters, and not just adults. I thought the whole skate safely section was out of place in a column that is supposed to be about equipment.

It would have been nice for the article to focus on the equipment needs section instead of giving us a lecture about how to skate safely. I used to work for a pro shop. As Summerkid mentioned, I have seen many adults overbooted, and I wish that had been better explained. Fitters seem to put adults in stiff boots because of height and weight, but forget to account for skating level and the amount of time spent skating. I've also met many adults who got the stiffest, most expensive boot they could get their hands on because they thought that more expensive=better for them. I think the article would have been much better received if it had focused on equipment issues like these.

Zoomana
03-21-2007, 10:43 PM
Even though I'm normally a lurker, I was going to start a thread re: this (I got the magazine today in the mail), but I saw there was quite a thread already started.

I am usually a totally a passive, hey man, everyone has an opinion, type of person, but this article had my blood boiling when I read it.

It was not funny in any shape or way.

I agree, Listen to Your Body is the key in skating and other disciplines (I'm a huge yoga fan, and any good yoga teacher will tell you to not push it/but they're telling that to the 19-year-olds as well as the 69-year-olds simultaneously).

However, the whole vibe of the article was so insulting. And re: the soft boots? Hello, I was suffering massive tendonitis, etc. from soft boots. I only got better when I switched to a stiffer boot. A 140-pound adult body landing up through attempted (not fully landed/rotated) Axels does not need soft boots. Especially when said adult has very hard landings. Yes, it's a bad habit, but it's my bad habit, and I need a harder boot to compensate.

And the blade thing...oh, yes, I am almost 40, I need baby blades? I can't handle the big, scary toepick?

I know Mr. Edge is not a skate person I've dealt with in my area (i.e., his first name is "John"), but I have run into this...you're an adult, do ice dance, retire, but don't do freestyle is the attitude.

I do ice dance now as well as freestyle (thanks to my hubby), but I love freestyle and will do it until my body tells me to stop....not some skate column guy.

Honestly, this column was wigging me out with its snarkiness way before he dissed the adult skating crowd. If he's thinking he's funny and failing, I feel bad, because it's not funny. I was always taught that "there is no stupid question" (i.e., asking a question means a willingness to learn/admit you don't know), and repeatedly I have seen snide remarks in this guy's column.

End of rant...

jazzpants
03-22-2007, 12:51 AM
I would just LOVE to see how Mr. Edge is gonna defend himself at AN, if not on this board!!! http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/nahrung/e045.gif

Anyone care to challenge him at the Harlick booth at AN??? Please REPORT back on this board about his reply!!! We WANT GOSSIP!!! :lol: :P

Team Arthritis
03-22-2007, 07:11 AM
We WANT GOSSIP!!! :lol: :P

Yes that and, reading this interesting discussion again, I am now very curious to see if he is eather a very smart goofball who just put his skate in his mouth atttempting to be funny or if he really doesn't have a clue!
Lyle:?:

skaternum
03-22-2007, 09:53 AM
I urge everyone who has posted an opinion about the article here to send an email or note to Skating magazine. If we don't tell them, they're not going to know.

I'm going to let them know what I thought about the article and ask for a written apology in his next column.

herniated
03-22-2007, 09:59 AM
Hi All,
This morning I showed the article to a skating parent I know at the rink. I wanted a non-skater's opinion. She found it to be very insulting too. (I should mention she seems to support and admire adult skating.) She felt like many of us that he is just saying we should give up!:roll:

My coach emailed this dude too. I emailed Lexi Rohner (sp?) she writes the articles on adult skaters and works with the Adult Skating Ambassadors and she said she will look into it.

herniated
03-22-2007, 10:00 AM
I urge everyone who has posted an opinion about the article here to send an email or note to Skating magazine. If we don't tell them, they're not going to know.

I'm going to let them know what I thought about the article and ask for a written apology in his next column.

I Agree!!!

flo
03-22-2007, 10:20 AM
Done
Just go to the USFSA website:
http://www.usfigureskating.org/Magazine.asp?id=134

MusicSkateFan
03-22-2007, 10:44 AM
:twisted: Well the Adult Committee has perpetuated the conception to the general skating public that adult skaters who did not learn as children have no hope of ever doing anything great in the sport.

The committee is promoting the Adult recreational skaters. Go back and look at your Skating Magazine's Adult corners. Numerous spotlights given to Recreational skaters. I wrote a heated email to USFSA about this and they informed me this was all the Adult Committee's doing. I did see that FINALLY this month there were no recreational skaters in the spotlight.

I don't blame Mr. Edge for possibly coming across in a negative tone towards adult skaters. This is what he is being fed by our own committee.
So as long as the committee keeps promoting the"All-Inclusive" aspect of adult skating, those of us who are competetive and learned as adults better get used to being treated like we've been skating for 12 years and hope to someday pass the pre-bronze MITF test.

Isk8NYC
03-22-2007, 11:00 AM
So as long as the [USFSA Adult Skating] committee keeps promoting the"All-Inclusive" aspect of adult skating, those of us who are competetive and learned as adults better get used to being treated like we've been skating for 12 years and hope to someday pass the pre-bronze MITF test.IMHO, I think you're off the mark in thinking that the Adult Skating committee had anything at all to do with Mr. Edge. If he's anything like the pro shop people I've met over the years, his opinions are his own. I'd expect him to tell you off for thinking he could be influenced. But, I don't know him personally, so I'm just stereotyping.

That inclusive attitude that you disdain has given the Adult Skating Committee leverage with the USFSA. They have little, if any, budget yet Adult Skating grows yearly. That inclusiveness is in line with the Standard Track approach of bringing in new low-level skaters through Basic Skills and badge programs. Frankly, I read the Adult corner in every issue and I didn't get the feeling that they're pushing any particular type of skating for adults. Let's look behind the scenes: the profiles are based on who the volunteer writers interact with at a particular time. Skating season would influence that, since fewer competitive skaters are available for interviews.

I skated as an adult in the 1980's. There were few opportunities for adults to compete fairly outside of ISI and little hope of ever seeing a change. Now, it's a brave, new world with lots of opportunity for all skaters. That MITF test may be all that skater aspires to, but his/her participation helps fund your skating as well.

From a business-growth perspective, you have to include everyone. That beginning adult skater is part of your base for the future. I've seen adults who were wobbly first-timers become incredibly strong competitors. Everyone progresses at their own rate.

jskater49
03-22-2007, 11:59 AM

I figured most people will send detailed objections to the article so I wrote in the box for Questions for Mr. Edge -- "Could you be any more insulting and patronizing to adult skaters?"

J

jskater49
03-22-2007, 12:02 PM
those of us who are competetive and learned as adults better get used to being treated like we've been skating for 12 years and hope to someday pass the pre-bronze MITF test.

Ouch. That's a little too close to describing me for comfort.:o

j

Isk8NYC
03-22-2007, 12:21 PM
I added a poll, with the OP's permission, to this thread.
I totally faked the poll options, so if anyone has suggestions, let me know via PM.

Poll closes in 10 days, so vote early and often!
(Nah, you can only vote once, but you CAN select more than one option.)

Isk8NYC
03-22-2007, 06:35 PM
25 votes on 1,000+ views. Hmmm. Somebody didn't vote. LOL

jazzpants
03-22-2007, 06:37 PM
25 votes on 1,000+ views. Hmmm. Somebody didn't vote. LOLUmmm... the many views could be from previous reads of the thread BEFORE the poll took place. And of course, you have to take into considering stuff like "spiders" and such... :P

(C'mon ISk8NYC!!! You should know better than that!!! You're "in the biz"!!!) :twisted: :P :lol:

doubletoe
03-22-2007, 06:59 PM
I figured most people will send detailed objections to the article so I wrote in the box for Questions for Mr. Edge -- "Could you be any more insulting and patronizing to adult skaters?"

J

:lol: :bow: I like it!!

doubletoe
03-22-2007, 07:02 PM
:twisted: Well the Adult Committee has perpetuated the conception to the general skating public that adult skaters who did not learn as children have no hope of ever doing anything great in the sport.

The committee is promoting the Adult recreational skaters. Go back and look at your Skating Magazine's Adult corners. Numerous spotlights given to Recreational skaters. I wrote a heated email to USFSA about this and they informed me this was all the Adult Committee's doing. I did see that FINALLY this month there were no recreational skaters in the spotlight.

I don't blame Mr. Edge for possibly coming across in a negative tone towards adult skaters. This is what he is being fed by our own committee.
So as long as the committee keeps promoting the"All-Inclusive" aspect of adult skating, those of us who are competetive and learned as adults better get used to being treated like we've been skating for 12 years and hope to someday pass the pre-bronze MITF test.

Huh? I never get that impression from the Adult Committee. The USFSA and Skating Magazine seem to be paying more attention and giving at least as much respect to adult skaters (both competitive and recreational) as they do to those skaters Intermediate level and below.

Ice T
03-22-2007, 08:05 PM
Hey gang,

The first thing I do when I get Skating Mag is to find the adult page (yes, that is singular -- page, and that is IF we even get one, and yet every other division of skating seems to always be featured). I found the article appalling and extremely insulting and I am highly offended.

First of all, this is totally opposite of every message that USFS has been sending adults. They have added moves in the field and then spread the levels out all over the place from Pre-Prelim to Intermediate (originally as high as Novice) to tell us that they wanted better skating from us. Then they changed up the program requirements to see better competition programs from us. The suggestion in this article of us just accepting our tricks as good enough for an adult is insulting and contrary to what USFS is saying they want from us. No skater, child or adult, or any athelete for that matter will stop until they reach perfection. We may not do triples, but we can certainly learn to execute our singles and doubles with correct technique.

Secondly, the role of an athelete is to push their bodies. That is sport, and we realize that. It will come with cost. But it is the same for the kids. No one would ever tell the kids to go have a cup of coffee, that it's "good enough" and to just take a break. While we may never make the Olympic team, our goals of placing on the podium (or just getting through qualifiers) are just as important to us as the kids' goals are to them. And we will keep pushing our bodies and our skills to reach those goals. The adults that would read this Skating Magazine are serious and competitive and would never do some of the ridiculous things mentioned in this article, or accept the level of medocrity proposed in the article. We take this very seriously, as is evidenced by the vast amount of us here that skate almost every day, take lessons every week, and compete nationally around the country.

Considering what I thought was the positive direction USFS was moving with Skating Mag in their many recent features on adults, I am reallly surprised and disappointed that they would publish an article that most of us find insulting and paints adult skating in a negative light.

And by the way, I have always skated in Harlicks. And I never had a problem until the current pair that I own now. I was fitted in person by the owner, and yet they do not fit me properly and are causing me all kinds of foot problems. I even sent them back once, but they are still not right. I never had foot problems until this pair, and I have been skating for 13 years.

I am highly insulted by this article and will probably write a letter to the editor about it. If you all support me, say "Amen!" and I will send that letter. I have fought too long and hard at my own rink to change the perception of adult skating and have had great sucess. I am not willing to move backwards now!

coskater64
03-22-2007, 08:24 PM
If Music Skate Fan is so upset by the adult committee then get your club to nominate you to be on the committee. Do you talk to members of the committee? It's not like all the addresses of every single member of the committee aren't known. USFS -- programs -- adult -- bottom of the page is the list of skater's on the committee. I haven't seen the committee do anything but promote adult skating and attempt to do what's best for adult skaters.

Former members of the committee include skater's like Paula Smart and Rhea Schwartz who do little things like facilitate the adult ISU competition in Oberstdorf where adult skater's from around the world come to compete.

Exactly what is bad about spotlighting recreational skaters? They are skaters and everyone deserves a moment to shine, I've noticed a wide variety of skater's in the adult section of skating, also, look at icenetwork.com, they have up adult sectionals, that is a part of US figureskating and shows skaters who are at higher levels both skaters who began as children and those who began as an adult.

With regards to Mr. Edge I would imagine he speaks only for himself, if he is a member of the Harlick team I've never met him. But last time I checked we all were able to speak our own minds he apparently doesn't think that much of adult skater's but then again...ask me if I care what he thinks.

coskater

flo
03-23-2007, 08:53 AM
Ice T - me too. I've been in Harlicks for years, then the lemon pair. grrrrr.

silverbeetle
03-23-2007, 09:58 AM
Hello everyone,

"Mr. Edge" has been my skate tech for about 8 years now. I'm 32 and am going to be competing in my first adult nationals this year. Knowing Mr. edge, I can assure you he meant no disrespect to adult skaters. He has many adult skaters as clients and treats them all with the utmost respect. We do have specific problems not necessarily associated with kid skaters.

I can tell you from personal experience he's a wonderful skate tech and helps a great number of people in IL, MI, and IN. He's a wonderful resource.

Looking forward to my first adult nationals...

competing in Silver Men II.

Silverbeetle

Isk8NYC
03-23-2007, 10:11 AM
Ummm... the many views could be from previous reads of the thread BEFORE the poll took place. And of course, you have to take into considering stuff like "spiders" and such... :P

(C'mon ISk8NYC!!! You should know better than that!!! You're "in the biz"!!!) :twisted: :P :lol:The "Read" count grew tremendously after the email link was added and poll were added.
Maybe you're right: spiders and lurker guests throwing off the counts.

blue111moon
03-23-2007, 10:16 AM
Of the three adults I talked to last night at my small mostly recreational club who had read the article, none were offended.

I did not respond to the poll because there was no option to describe my reaction: a lot of what was said reflects my personal view of my skating and that of the adults I skate with. But then we are older (50+) adults who learned late in life and are not in the sport for medals or glory or to kill ourselves "becoming the best we can be." And there are a lot of people like us out there, maybe not on this board (I find that the tone here is geared toward the more-competitive end of the curve.

And as a former member of the Adult Skating Committee, I can say that if the slant of that group has become more inclusive of recreational, non-competitive adult skaters, it is a relatively new development. Back in My Day, the emphasis was on raising the standards and making adult skating more like the kids'. I fought and argued that adults are NOT kids and that the recreational adult has a place in US Figure Skating for more than just a dues-payer. So it's nice for me to see more than just the competitive medal-winners in the Championship events at Nationals being spotlighted in Skating Magazine.

Personally, I think people are being way too quick to find offense in everything that doesn't exactly fit their personal situation.

flutzilla1
03-23-2007, 10:45 AM
I am highly insulted by this article and will probably write a letter to the editor about it. If you all support me, say "Amen!" and I will send that letter. I have fought too long and hard at my own rink to change the perception of adult skating and have had great sucess. I am not willing to move backwards now!

Amen! Ice T! I agree 100% with everything you said.

jazzpants
03-23-2007, 11:00 AM
The "Read" count grew tremendously after the email link was added and poll were added.
Maybe you're right: spiders and lurker guests throwing off the counts.Or whoever reads this thread multiple times as they watch how the thread progress... like me!!! :twisted: :P :lol:

(This thread is progressing pretty interestingly... I have yet to hear from Mr. Edge (nor would I expect him to anyway since he's probably too busy doing up skates and his business. I know my former skate tech is usually too busy sometimes interacting with his customers to actually DO his job... so "his 4 hr business hours 5 days a week" (my old skate tech's shop hours) is really a 6 days a week, 12 hour a day job!!!

I don't wish to bash the guy. I have a feeling that his words were probably not intended to bash the adults (though it sure came out that way!) But for those who don't know this guy at all, it's hard to not take his comments with any other way other than to be disgusted by the comment. If he was able to set the record straight (perhaps on a future Mr. Edge article?), then at least we know where he's "coming from." It's only fair that he'd given the oppty. to respond to those of us on the boards and those reading the current Mr. Edge article.

Tiggerwoos
03-23-2007, 11:02 AM
I really think that Mr Edge should take a look at this guy:

Bit of a long video, but basically Lazy Town is a programme for kids that is aimed at getting kids fit again and eating healthy foods and Sportacus the hero is an international gymnast.

Anyway it all started when (this is in reality now) he was watching gymnastics aged 21 with his friend who bet him that no adult could become a champion. Well he became European champion after just 5 years training with no previous experience aged 26.

Here's what Wikipedia says about him:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magn%C3%BAs_Scheving

And here's a few of his moves........ he joins the kids in after a couple of mins:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIbntDJcpw0&mode=related&search=

Even though its not skating it goes to show that adults are capable of doing exactly what kids do if they put their mind to it....... Inspiration or what?!:)

flo
03-23-2007, 11:09 AM
Bluemoon,
I like that the adult program is inclusive, as it was in it's early days. I just think that the article was a bit snarky and patronizing. I also like seeing the non championship adults who started as adults being featured in skating magazine. I'd just like to see all adult skaters, competitive or not, treated with respect and not like we're all just managing to stay upright.

Isk8NYC
03-23-2007, 11:12 AM
Or whoever reads this thread multiple times as they watch how the thread progress... like me!!!I've been trying to figure that out (no pun intended); I think the count only increments for a returning reader if the thread's been changed. That would help explain the huge jump in reader count after the email link post and poll were added. Hmmm.

jskater49
03-23-2007, 11:15 AM
I don't doubt that Mr. Edge is a nice person in real life. But if he has offended as many people as he has, he needs to pay attention and rethink the way he writes, regardless of his intentions. People who read his column don't know him personally and don't know if he likes adult skaters or not, he is judged by what he writes and he has been found lacking. I surely hope that he doesn't take the tact that everyone who was offended was in the wrong and are too easily offended. No matter your intentions, anytime you offend a lot of people (you can't avoid offended some people no matter what you do) you need to accept that there is a problem in your delivery.

j

Sonic
03-23-2007, 12:06 PM
I can see Mr Edge was trying to be funny, but I can see why people have found it offensive as there is definitely a 'why do adult skaters bother' feel to the article. Okay, so we're not going to be landing triple axels, our bodies can't take the same pounding as kids' bodies (like we haven't worked that out for ourselves lol!) - but does that mean there are no skilled adult skaters out there?

I wonder if Mr Edge would tell an adult who goes running not to bother trying too hard because he/she won't ever run a marathon? Or that there is no point in refining his/her technique, or buying a decent pair of running shoes - because he/she is never going to compete in the Olympics?

S xxx

manleywoman
03-23-2007, 01:13 PM

Wait a minute...

In the past, Skating Magazine has been slammed for only having one article per year on the Adults, and that was the article on Adult Nationals. Which only featured Championships, ie: all the higher level skaters. Then adult skaters started complaining that the Bronze/Silver skaters (who make up the bulk of adult competitions) weren't being recognized. So now the magazine has a monthly article on skaters of all levels, and still you're not happy?

Some people cannot be appeased.

lovepairs
03-23-2007, 01:44 PM
Totally insulting, arrogant, and inaccurate. The Skating Magazine should be ashamed of themselves to pulish such garbage about Adult Skaters. Hey, let Mr. Edge do an overhead lift and get back to me about how many times per week this should be practiced--geeezzzzz!

NoVa Sk8r
03-23-2007, 02:35 PM
Looking forward to my first adult nationals...

competing in Silver Men II. SilverbeetleSorry to sway from the topic at hand, but I was excited to hear about there being another silver II guy. I thought I was the only one. The I's and II are usually combined at Adult Nats, but not this year. Anyway, welcome aboard!

Mel On Ice
03-23-2007, 02:57 PM
I wasn't offended, I just thought in a couple of places "that doesn't apply to me," but in other places it did. I fell victim to buying too much boot, but that was the fault of my fitter, who I asked to help me select the most appropriate boot for my (at the time) pre-bronze/ISI 2 self.

I work hard enough and don't have to prove it to the skate moms at my rink, Dr. Edge, anybody. If they think I'm a joke... I don't care.

Team Arthritis
03-23-2007, 03:35 PM
Wait a minute...

In the past, Skating Magazine has been slammed for only having one article per year on the Adults, and that was the article on Adult Nationals. Which only featured Championships, ie: all the higher level skaters. Then adult skaters started complaining that the Bronze/Silver skaters (who make up the bulk of adult competitions) weren't being recognized. So now the magazine has a monthly article on skaters of all levels, and still you're not happy?

Some people cannot be appeased.
I'm with you, I'm just happy to see ANY coverage of adult skaters
:giveup:
Lyle

icedancer2
03-23-2007, 03:37 PM
I just read the article in my copy of Skating (after having read all of these rants) and I thought it was perfectly reasonable article and a very typical "Mr. Edge" column.

He even says right in the article that he is talking about the "over-40" skater. I know as a current "over-50" skater that I have to be a lot more careful than I used to. Yes, it is common sense, but how many people have gotten hurt when they push their limits too much? And I'm talking about kids and adult skaters alike!

As far as Skating magazine catering to the Adult skater - I think they've done a great job of trying to cater to their audience. I can remember when most of the articles were just details on competitions that happened months ago in the standard ranks and there was nothing about just the average skater around the average rink (well, not much, anyway), whether they were the adults or the "kids" - now there are articles about all sorts of local things, as well as international events, adult skaters inclusive.

RoaringSkates
03-23-2007, 03:51 PM
...Sportacus the hero is an international gymnast.

Anyway it all started when (this is in reality now) he was watching gymnastics aged 21 with his friend who bet him that no adult could become a champion. Well he became European champion after just 5 years training with no previous experience aged 26...Even though its not skating it goes to show that adults are capable of doing exactly what kids do if they put their mind to it....... Inspiration or what?!:)

Sporticus started gymnastics as an adult? Had he been a dancer or something before hand? Because he's really quite good. I occasionally watch a bit of Lazytown, specifically to watch him.

renatele
03-23-2007, 05:07 PM
(OT)

Anyway it all started when (this is in reality now) he was watching gymnastics aged 21 with his friend who bet him that no adult could become a champion. Well he became European champion after just 5 years training with no previous experience aged 26.

Here's what Wikipedia says about him:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magn%C3%BAs_Scheving

Never knew that about him! Although I've finally been proven that Wiki information should not be taken for granted: it's not gymnastics that he championed in - it's aerobics!

http://www.lazytown.biz/the-company/property/cast/magnus-scheving

NY Times article about him (http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/17/world/europe/17scheving.html?ex=1329368400&en=5dd73b286c973b70&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss)

As far as Mr. Edge goes, personally I wasn't particularly offended, though I did raise my eyebrows a bit, not really knowing how to take what he wrote - he does seem to usually take little stabs even at kids (usually in the form of 'duh!' answers to stupid questions), so I could see how he might have intended to be funny, yet it didn't work.

So, in short, if he did mean to be funny, he better put more effort in communicating it more clearly.

ETA: I do agree with most points that he makes, though - listening to our bodies IS important. It's not the same as giving up, or not being serious. I also happen to agree with Mr. Edge about overbooting (or rather, too stiff boots) - note: he didn't say adults should be satisfied with cheapo junky boots, he actually said that custom boots make sense for us. Oh, and the ego/body dialogue, the "stayed up late" one: again, he didn't say along the lines of "go ahead and go to that party, and just skip skating tomorrow", rather it's more like "well, you DO have life besides skating, and happened to be up late yesterday, so maybe skating today isn't such a great idea - you are tired, can injure yourself more easily, etc" - at least that's how I took it. Nevermind the java, and especially "chat with the skaters" comment :giveup:

silverbeetle
03-24-2007, 08:43 AM
Sorry to sway from the topic at hand, but I was excited to hear about there being another silver II guy. I thought I was the only one. The I's and II are usually combined at Adult Nats, but not this year. Anyway, welcome aboard!

sorry, slightly off topic...

Thanks Nova!! Looking forward to it...are there just 3 competitors in our event?

Terri C
03-24-2007, 01:53 PM
Okay I see that everyone is pissed and upset about this, but for those of you attending AN in Chicago in a few weeks, you have a opportunity!!
Mr. Edge will apparently be there and instead of biting his head off and having it for lunch, encourage him to watch some of the skating that goes on.
Maybe, just maybe (hint to Manleywoman) his booth can be placed in such a way where he can see the skating!
Any other education ideas out there for Mr. Edge?

emma
03-24-2007, 01:57 PM
I found the article very insulting. Yes I skated as a kid but I am an over fifty skater working on doubles, testing novice moves soon and I feel like I can do anything I put my mind and body to. I never see my age as a limit in my ability. I skate two to four hours a day and sure i get aches and pains but i ALWAYS feel better after several hours of skating than i do before. I am lucky that I have not had a major injury as an adult. I did have several major injurys as a kid. So that puts his idea that adults can suffer more injurys than kids do to rest. I always push myself at every session to the point of feeling like I have had a good work out. And I have spent a year working on doubles and I don't intend to stop trying to perfect them. The only thing I do agree with is streching before you skate which I don't always have time for but is probably a good idea. So Mr. Edge I think you are full of it !!!!!!!!!!!

cathrl
03-24-2007, 03:22 PM
The thing which bemused me about the article was the whole "listen to your body" thing. It struck me that this is actually a major difference between child and adult skaters - but it's the other way round to what he suggests. The majority of kids will carry on when maybe they shouldn't, throw themselves into situations where they're bound to come down hard, while adults tend to be far more cautious. I know I have the devil's own job getting past my body yelling "I don't like going round and round fast!" and "waddaya mean you want to jump off the ice! It's gonna hurt if you come down wrong!" I need to get my body to shut up a bit!

But it just shows how easy it is to alienate people. I was a bit miffed by a couple of things he said, because I felt his tone was condescending, especially in the comment about needing a longer blade for better balance, which didn't make a lot of sense to me. But I was far more offended by the poster who suggested that those of us who aren't throwing ourselves round the ice doing doubles and difficult spins should just go back to LTS as what we do isn't "sport". To my mind, it's sport if you are challenging yourself to improve physically at something, and you can do that at any level and regardless of whether you test or compete.

Isk8NYC
03-24-2007, 07:46 PM
I've split this thread into two different threads.

This one discusses the Mr. Edge article in Skating magazine.

The new "Adult Skating Committee (http://www.skatingforums.com/showthread.php?p=315073)" thread contains copies of that topic's relevant posts.

HelenC
03-24-2007, 10:37 PM
I wasn't offended when I read the article. I didn't think it was relevant to me, or most of the serious adult skaters I know. I think the writer was trying to be helpful in a light hearted manner for beginning adult recreational skaters.

I do wish that the column could be less flippant and more informative on a regular basis. There is so much more technical information about boots and blades that could be explored in detail.

techskater
03-25-2007, 09:32 AM
Okay I see that everyone is pissed and upset about this, but for those of you attending AN in Chicago in a few weeks, you have a opportunity!!
Mr. Edge will apparently be there and instead of biting his head off and having it for lunch, encourage him to watch some of the skating that goes on.
Maybe, just maybe (hint to Manleywoman) his booth can be placed in such a way where he can see the skating!
Any other education ideas out there for Mr. Edge?

Mr. Edge has been to at least a couple ANs before. He fitted me for my first pair of custom Harlicks in 2002 at the Ann Arbor ANs. He watched several events then (and in 03 where he was again the Harlick rep) and while fitting me told me how impressed he was with the level of skating he saw and just how hard it appeared everyone had worked to get there. He has MANY adult customers here in the Chicago area.

skaternum
03-25-2007, 11:19 AM
I sat down and crafted my nastygram. Rather than sending it to Mr. Edge directly, using the form on the Ask Mr. Edge page on the USFSA website, I want to address mine to the editor. He bears the responsibility for publishing this nonsense. I intend to copy the chair of the Adult Skating Committee and my sectional vice chair. Here's the rub: I have yet to find an email address for the Skating Magazine editor. Can't find one on the website or in the magazine itself. Am I blind? Has somebody found one yet? If so, please share.

skaternum
03-25-2007, 11:48 AM
Text of what I intend to send in my letter:
-----------------------------------------
Dear Sir:
I am writing to express my displeasure with the Ask Mr. Edge column entitled “Adult Skaters Face Unique Problems,” which you published in the March 2007 issue of Skating magazine. I admit I’ve never been a fan of the column, as I’ve found it to be poorly written and of limited usefulness in its content, but this column actually made me angry. It was insulting from start to finish and full of negative stereotypes of adult skaters. I cannot believe you would see fit to publish such nonsense!

The main point of his article is that we adult skaters let our egos push us beyond where our bodies can take us. “Let’s start with how good a skater we think we are compared to how our coach or other people see us. Now, couple that with thoughts of youthfulness dancing in our heads … could this be an accident waiting to happen?” I’m not sure what adult skaters he’s been hanging around, but all the ones I know have a firm grip on the reality of their skating. In fact, when I began skating at the age of 30, I knew my body better than any of the 9 year olds on the ice with me. If anything, the adult skaters I know are cautious and aware. We can’t afford to get injured and lose time from our job and family responsibilities.

“Know when enough is enough. … take a break, sit down, and have a cup of java. … take your time and talk to other skaters.” I pay a lot of hard-earned money for my ice time and my lessons. I don’t appreciate having a skate tech telling me to sit my frail little self down and have a cup of coffee when I’m at the rink to train. In fact, Mr. Edge seems to be saying (badly) the opposite of what the rest of US Figure Skating is telling us. USFS has been telling us for years, through the addition of mandatory Moves In The Field and modifications of the well-balanced program requirements, that they want to see better skating from us. Mr. Edge would have us all hanging out in snack bars when we’re tired, drinking coffee, and accepting that our cheated axels are good enough because we’re just adult skaters. (Hyperbole, yes, but no worse than any found in his column.) I know my body and its limits, and I intend to push myself to those limits. One of the great things about being an ADULT skater is that I possess the maturity and awareness that the kids lack. I can push myself without being stupid, in other words.

I am surprised and disappointed that you would publish an article that is insulting to so many adults. Mr. Edge is a skate technician. He is neither a coach, nor a trainer; he should stick to writing about equipment and leave the amateur psychology out of his column. I think Mr. Edge owes the adult skating community an apology.

Sincerely,

flutzilla1
03-25-2007, 12:12 PM
EXCELLENT letter skaternum! I could not agree more with everything you said.

samba
03-25-2007, 12:57 PM
The only thing I dont agree with is, is the name 'ego' for me it's mind over body and he should have written 'mind' rather than ego, apart from that, I agree with everything that he said, after spending 6 long weeks off work with a bad back that I stupidly pushed to the limits, to make it to the British Adult Championships last year.

Ego had nothing to do with it, I just knew that, pushing reitrement age, my body is not going to allow me to skate well in competition much longer and I just wanted to give myself one last bite at the cherry, I ended up having to pull out of the competition and now its unlikely that I will compete again with the kind of success that I experienced in the past.

Yes I have seen older people skate sucessfully, but that is probably because they have listened to their body's.

I'm not saying go home and watch tv, I'm just saying sometimes we need to listen to our bodys and not just our hearts and minds.

peanutskates
03-25-2007, 01:50 PM
samba - mr edge used the word 'ego' (I assume) in the Freudian sense of the word. As in, your brain is made up of 3 parts. Id, Ego and Super-ego. ego simply means "I" from the Greek.

So don't be offended by the use of this word. I'm sure it wasn't meant to be offensive.

sexyskates
03-25-2007, 02:22 PM
Bravo, Skaternum! I looked in the magazine and I see that letters to the editor can be e mailed to Editor Troy Schwindt at tschwindt@usfigureskating.org or to Mickey Brown at mbrown@usfigureskating.org.
The majority of adult skaters that I see, especially the new recreational skaters, have the opposite of the unrealistic ego that Mr. Edge talked about. I find that most have a big fear of falling, and are so cautious that it's hard for them to progress. I think an article that promotes confidence in the adult skater would be more worthwhile. Adults don't need to be told to slow down, but rather, to be patient and persistant, do your off ice training, wear your pads, and go for it!

Terri C
03-25-2007, 02:23 PM
Mr. Edge has been to at least a couple ANs before. He fitted me for my first pair of custom Harlicks in 2002 at the Ann Arbor ANs. He watched several events then (and in 03 where he was again the Harlick rep) and while fitting me told me how impressed he was with the level of skating he saw and just how hard it appeared everyone had worked to get there. He has MANY adult customers here in the Chicago area.

Well then, if that's the case, consider me one of the seriously offended!!
He as well as the editors of Skating magazine, owe the adult skating community a HUGE!!!apology!

b viswanathan
03-25-2007, 03:48 PM
Peanutskates, I like a whole lot of what you write. But this one post is a bit, well, peculiar. If I walked up to you at the skating rink and said "hey, your ego is taking over your skating" - I don't think you'd say to yourself, "well, she just means it in the Greek or Freudian sense of the word". I think you might well be offended!

And he didn't call the other part of what guides you (apparently good sense, or something like caution) the superego (or id). He certainly didn't make "ego" sound like a very good guide - which, in Freudian terms, it can be.

I know we all have our views about Mr. Edge. Mine are merely that he seems to imply, in this article, that adults can be driven by the *wrong* part of the ego (pride, risk-taking side, etc.) to pursue their goals at the cost of self-injury or self-defeat. While that can be true, it isn't solely true of adults. Nor is it true of many of us, recreational, competitive, or other. It's just over-generalizing in an unhelpful way. That's what I object to, as well as the patronizing tone that words like ego (used not in any kind of helpful context like Freudian analysis - which would be out of place in a Skating magazine article anyway!) seem to convey.

samba - mr edge used the word 'ego' (I assume) in the Freudian sense of the word. As in, your brain is made up of 3 parts. Id, Ego and Super-ego. ego simply means "I" from the Greek.

So don't be offended by the use of this word. I'm sure it wasn't meant to be offensive.

jazzpants
03-25-2007, 03:51 PM
The majority of adult skaters that I see, especially the new recreational skaters, have the opposite of the unrealistic ego that Mr. Edge talked about. I find that most have a big fear of falling, and are so cautious that it's hard for them to progress. I think an article that promotes confidence in the adult skater would be more worthwhile. Adults don't need to be told to slow down, but rather, to be patient and persistant, do your off ice training, wear your pads, and go for it!EXACTLY!!! I was that "adult skater" who was holding back for a long time and my coaches had to finally get me out of my "comfort zone" (with me kicking and screaming about it, I might add.) I still have to deal with my skating confidence issues to this day, but it's not as bad now. Most people who have know me for YEARS on this and other skating board know that I definitely don't have the type of "ego" that Mr. Edge described. My dealing with the confidence issues I've had was the only way I was able to finally pass those required tests to be eligible to go to AN.

Mr. Edge has been to at least a couple ANs before. He fitted me for my first pair of custom Harlicks in 2002 at the Ann Arbor ANs. He watched several events then (and in 03 where he was again the Harlick rep) and while fitting me told me how impressed he was with the level of skating he saw and just how hard it appeared everyone had worked to get there. He has MANY adult customers here in the Chicago area.Which is why I am puzzled about the tone of the Mr. Edge article. I agreed with the rest in saying that initially I was offended by the tone of the post. But I also remembered (thru another board) that he's in the Chicago area where there are TONS of competitive adult skaters and thought "The tone of the Mr. Edge article I've read does NOT MATCH the customers in which he's serving! Something is just not quite right about this and that's why I want to invite Mr. Edge to come on this board and explain himself.

Perhaps since I've seen tons of articles from Mr. Edge regarding funny questions he got asked by the kids or parents of the kids that that's the way he is.

I do agree with the majority in saying that since he is a skate technician that he sticKs to that particular topic!!! The coach is really the person you should look to first for guidance in when you push for things vs. when to hold back b/c you're not ready for it (and THEN maybe a sport psychologist if it's beyond ther realm of what a coach can handle.) I mean, geez, we pay good money to have our coaches train us in skating, right? The coach himself/herself should be wise enough to know when to refer their skaters to outside help for the things that they can't address. (At least I hope that MY coaches would know anyway.)

Ice T
03-25-2007, 08:06 PM
Skaternum -- thank you for your well worded letter!

skaternum
03-25-2007, 09:04 PM
I looked in the magazine and I see that letters to the editor can be e mailed to Editor Troy Schwindt at tschwindt@usfigureskating.org or to Mickey Brown at mbrown@usfigureskating.org.
Thanks. I don't know how I missed that. I think my new job has rendered me brain dead! :)

garusha
03-26-2007, 05:17 PM
Excellent letter, skaternum! I agree with every word.

As for the ego issue, come on, guys! If you are tired or weak, won't you step off the ice and take a break? Of course, you will. Anybody in his/her right mind will do just that. However, Mr. Edge doesn't sound like he sincerely wants adult skaters to relax for a short while and keep practicing their moves later. No, his idea about chatting and sipping coffee is pretty much the same as saying: give up! You don't have to do that, you are too old! Just take it easy!

pairman2
03-27-2007, 07:48 AM
Well I finally got my skating mag...So after reading Mr Edge, here's my 2 cents:

I've had a problem with Mr Edge for a long time because I've always felt he was condecending to the KIDS. I think he could answer their questions without belittleing them. So I was prepared for the worst in regards to the adult column.

I got the impression that he felt he was having a friendly chat with like minded adults, meaning he was very aware of how he personally feels about adult skating but totally tone deaf to how others feel about it. So no, I don't think he was being mean to adults, not intentionally anyway.

He lapsed into what must be considered a 'coaching' mode. Maybe he coaches or did so sometime in the past, but it is not his role in writing his article. He would be safer commenting on fit and boot strength issues and not worry about things better discussed with a skaters physical therapist.

But the main impression I got was that this is a guy that has not been in a position to actually try to see what he could personally accomplish by pushing his physical boundaries, for a long time. He's an older gentleman and that's his perogative in terms of interest, health or whatever, so his big mistake really was to talk about something vastly out of his range of experience. He has no idea whatsoever what even an older adult body is capable of. I'm sure he has seen his share of skaters with significant limitations and adult skaters that overstepped their abilities too quickly or without proper preparation (to that extent, his article is accurate). But he is missing the train when it comes to the movement of pushing the envelope of age. Oleg and Ludmilla Protopopov represent a different universe in that respect and Oleg would be the first to tell us that it is quite possible to have strength, agility and endurance in the later years, and not just from having practiced it all of their lives.

I think we should be kind to Mr Edge and at the same time, hopefully, the USFS mag editors will offer him some new tighter parameters in regard to his articles. I don't think Mr Edge represents adult skating, nor do I think he represents USFS. He's an older guy that does boots and blades. As long as everyone keeps doing what they are good at, Mr Edge, USFS, envelope pushing adults, everyone will be happier.

jskater49
04-08-2007, 04:45 AM
Did anyone else that emailed this guy get this patronizing answer?

Hi Joelle......thanks for the e-mail. I appreciate any and all responses, be they good, bad, or indifferent.

Sorry to hear that you disagree with my thoughts. Just trying to give skaters something to think about so they don't end up with a career ending injury. My observations come from attending several Adult Nationals over the years.

At any rate, Good luck to you in your skating career........

Mr. Edge
Note: The answers and opinions of Mr. Egde are solely his own and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of SKATING magazine or U.S. Figure Skating.

BLECH. So he's observed skaters not knowing when to stop skating and getting career ending injuries over his many years of attending ANS??? Anyone else observe that over the years?:roll:

j

lovepairs
04-08-2007, 06:12 AM
Yes, it's easy to observe things that aren't there! And, that's all I have to say about that.

herniated
04-08-2007, 04:41 PM
Yes, I got the exact same answer!!!8O Word for word. My opinion still stands on this guy and I hope too that USFS reins him in.:twisted:

icedancer2
04-08-2007, 06:48 PM
I honestly don't understand why you guys won't let him have an opinion.

jskater49
04-08-2007, 07:34 PM
I honestly don't understand why you guys won't let him have an opinion.

Any body can have an opnion. Having the right to an opinion does not protect you from criticism of that opinion.

The two problems I have with his opinion is that

a) it doesn't jive with most adult skaters and that's what he's opining about....and based on his response, he's not interested in listening to other adult skaters

b) His column is not presented as an opnion column, it's presented as an expert/advice column and he doesn't really seem to have the credentials to advise adult skaters

c) I would expect even a column that is presented as editorial (which his is not) in a skating magazine to be more supportive of adult skaters. He's certainly welcome to have an insulting and patronizing opinion of adult skaters, but that doesn't mean a skating magazine that I pay for should give him space to vent that opinion.

j

Team Arthritis
04-09-2007, 04:20 PM
Hah and here I thought that I was special, sniff. Well it was still nice to recieve damage control anyway.
Lyle

herniated
04-16-2007, 08:18 PM
Soo, did anyone see Mr. Edge at AN? And if yes, did anyone saaay anything to him?:halo: I am forever the instigater.;)

icedancer2
04-16-2007, 08:39 PM
I wasn't at AN, but I noticed that there were no letters to the editor at all in the copy of Skating magazine I received today. Don't they usually do a "letters" section?

I expected to see something regarding the rants about Mr. Edge...

doubletoe
04-17-2007, 01:01 AM
Soo, did anyone see Mr. Edge at AN? And if yes, did anyone saaay anything to him?:halo: I am forever the instigater.;)

Nope! I had heard there was going to be a Harlick booth and he was supposed to be there, but there was no Harlick booth. . .

Casey
04-17-2007, 02:27 AM
I've never like his column, regardless of the topic. They're poorly written, and he comes across like an a**hat. I found this column to pretty much bear that out. Love the "reality check" at the beginning. :roll: Duh. Then there's this [...] is just insulting to me.
I actually agree with you 100% on this one. I've never cared for his column, and they've always been plagued with inaccuracies and misleading statements. Which might not be all that bad coming from a friend at the rink, but this guy arrogantly purports himself to be /the/ knowledge source for all things skating, claiming to know better than pretty much anyone else out there. I have yet to read one issue of Skating magazine in which his column actually contains useful, accurate information with sufficient detail. Previously, I was thinking "well this is geared for kids so he can get away with it...", but it still seemed really overly condescending, and it certainly doesn't work out well when he decides to carry on with the same attitude in talking about adult skating.

Bleh on him... Oh, and caffeine and sports don't mix well...unless you consume it after already fully warmed-up and even then it's debatable...oh, and unless of course you ask Mr. Edge. :P

blue111moon
04-17-2007, 09:01 AM
One thing to keep in mind though, is that the skaters who attend Adult Nationals are not the sole representatives of the Adult Skating Community. They are in fact, only a minority percentage of the total.

flo
04-17-2007, 09:10 AM
Blue, we might be the minority percentage, which I'm not sure of, but these skaters are the ones who are most involved in the Adult Skating Program and structure. These skaters are why we created the program and do indeed represent the adult skating community.

Ice T
04-17-2007, 05:45 PM
Just a note too about the letters to the editor. Usually the publication deadline is so far in advance that anything submitted in the weeks after that issue went out would not make it into the very next issue. I would hope to see something next month, but it could be delayed even longer than that.

blue111moon
04-18-2007, 08:18 AM
Blue, we might be the minority percentage, which I'm not sure of, but these skaters are the ones who are most involved in the Adult Skating Program and structure. These skaters are why we created the program and do indeed represent the adult skating community.

USFS's Adult Skating program was NOT created by or for the skaters who attend Adult Nationals. On the contrary, Adult Nationals grew out of the Adult Skating program that was established to encourage adults to take up skating and/or continue skating after high school and college.

There were what 300 skaters at Adult Nationals this year? There are a lot more adults registered with USFS who don't go Nationals than there are those that do. A great many adults don't compete at all and a lot that only compete locally or recreationally. But just because they don't go to Adult Nationals once a year, don't assume they aren't active in promoting the sport and therefore don't have voice in how adult skating is personified. I myself haven't been to Adult Nationals in several years, but I still skate several times a week, I compete locally and internationally several times a year, I am a USFS official, I serve on my club's board, I am the club delegate to Governing Council, and I coach an adult class besides. I doubt if many of the skaters at Adult Nationals are as active in the sport as I am or have been around the sport as long as I have. In fact, I probably have a more rounded view of adult skating because of those activities than the people who just skate and go to Adult Nationals.

Adult Nationals is only a PART of the Adult Skating Program, not the GOAL. Hopefully, the members of the current Committe remember that at Governing Council.

Kristin
04-18-2007, 11:54 AM
Hi All,
Has anyone read Mr.Edge's article yet in SKATING magazine this month? I found it to be sarcastic and basically his stage to make fun of the adult skater.:twisted: I emailed him and told him how I felt. What do you all think? Some of his advice is sound but again between the little bits of advice were... I can't even go on.

Sorry if I am late in posting this, but I didn't find Mr. Edge's article offensive at all. I have been an adult skater for 7 yrs, am a Silver lady & Bronze dancer, so when I read it, I was looking for more "technical" information about adult skater feet. When I didn't see any tech foot info, I just skimmed the rest of the ego vs. body comments, and turned the page to read the rest of the Skating mag.

My adult skater feet have been *brutalized* by yrs of standing on my toes ("pointe" work in ballet, plus bad genetics since my dad has bunions too), and now by my skate boots which have custom orthotics in them to prevent pronation. I have huge bunions on both feet which makes finding "normal" shoes darn near impossible (thank heaven for Dr. Martens, Tredair, and Fluevog brands!!!). I am also developing large heel spurs now from going much deeper in sit spins & bending more for jump landings.

I was actually looking forward to seeing Mr. Edge at Adult Nats this year because I had a lot of questions for him regarding the gigantic heel spur that seems to have grown on my heel in the past year (I'm from Detroit area so I don't get out to Chicago all that often).

I SINCERELY hope he wasn't chased off by the comments on this board. I REALLY needed to talk to him so he could look at my feet, and was extremely disappointed he wasn't there. :roll: :frus:

icedancer2
04-18-2007, 12:00 PM
Adult Nationals is only a PART of the Adult Skating Program, not the GOAL. Hopefully, the members of the current Committe remember that at Governing Council.

I TOTALLY agree with this statement. When I think of all of the Adult skaters I know and have known over the years, only a small fraction of them are the slightest bit interested in competing, and even less interest in skating at AN --

I have known many adults over the years that have achieved a very high level without doing any tests, also - they have just been interesting in skating for skating's sake.

Kristin
04-18-2007, 12:09 PM
There were what 300 skaters at Adult Nationals this year? There are a lot more adults registered with USFS who don't go Nationals than there are those that do. A great many adults don't compete at all and a lot that only compete locally or recreationally. But just because they don't go to Adult Nationals once a year, don't assume they aren't active in promoting the sport and therefore don't have voice in how adult skating is personified. I myself haven't been to Adult Nationals in several years, but I still skate several times a week, I compete locally and internationally several times a year, I am a USFS official, I serve on my club's board, I am the club delegate to Governing Council, and I coach an adult class besides. I doubt if many of the skaters at Adult Nationals are as active in the sport as I am or have been around the sport as long as I have. In fact, I probably have a more rounded view of adult skating because of those activities than the people who just skate and go to Adult Nationals.

FYI - there were closer to 550 skaters in Bensenville AN's this year (800 starts), according to the USFSA article about AN's.

In terms of being "active" in the sport of skating besides doing my own personal skating, I myself am a USFSA skating judge for singles/pairs. Also, there are many of my friends (they are on this board too) who attended Adult Nats this year who are judging, coaching basic skills, or helping out in their club's ice shows/competitions (making/working on costumes, being back stage, etc.). I even ran into one lady skater who ONLY went to AN's to be a surrogate coach for another adult skater. Another lady who used to skate is now a USFSA accountant and is constantly traveling. One Masters competitor is even running his own skating program in Iowa & takes on "Scholarship skater" students who he teaches for free because they can't afford to pay for the sport.

In the adult skating world, I always see a very joyous, enthusiastic group of people who genuinely love this sport & want to continue to stay involved, AN's or not!!! I agree that you definitely don't have to go to AN's in order to be considered in the "elite majority" of adult skaters. It's just one more way to be involved in the sport, but it isn't the ONLY thing out there. :D

Team Arthritis
04-18-2007, 12:51 PM
I'm one of those skaters that Mr. Edge thinks he understands. I'm about to have my second back surgery for blown disks. I'll never be able to jump safely again and no more jogging eather. Other than that, we'll just have to see. So was he right, did I do this by excessive training and abusing my body? He would likely assume so.

The true answer is far more complicated. When I started skating, I weighed 300 lbs! I only forced myself to lose wt when I damaged my knee cartilage in a fall while skating:halo: . Good thing, that fall. So what about the back? Well Dad's first fusion was 15 years younger than mine and Mom should of had a fusion 20 years ago. Turns out, I have defective disks, born that way, bad genes and all that - you can even see that on my MRI's. So I've been working out atleast once every single day for the past 6 years and lost 75 lbs. I'm stronger and more agile than I was 20 years ago. My weight would have blown my disks years earlier than skating did. The muscles are what kept it going this long (per my neurosurgeons). So did I overdo it? Undoubtedly. Was it avoidable? No. What would have happened if I'd sat down and wasted $10/hr drinking coffee while I could have been skating? We'll never know, but that's not the kind of person I'll ever be again.

Normalcy is overvalued by the mediocre!

Lyle

herniated
04-18-2007, 05:42 PM
Hmmmm. It is very interesting that Mr. Edge was not at AN. Regarding this month's SKATING mag, I also thought that maybe there wasn't time to address our issues. This month's issue came out very quickly. But... if you notice his article this time was not his usual question and answer and it was actually kind of informative and very neutral. Anyway, I hope the magazine does address it in some way.