View Full Version : Tips on buying skates

erin_m
09-16-2002, 10:20 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm starting Adult CanSkate at the end of October but I'm hoping to buy some skates soon. Any advice for me, I've never bought figure skates before.

Mrs Redboots
09-16-2002, 10:29 AM
Get yourself fitted by someone who knows what they are doing - ask around at the rink for advice on where to go. Different brands fit different feet, so it's no good recommending a particular brand, and as for the model, you want a good basic entry-level model. Make sure you get one with detachable blades, though, as you may well want to upgrade entry-level blades after six months or so.

JDC1
09-16-2002, 11:29 AM
I learned the hard way by buying boots that have been a continual pain in the a**. Go to as many places as convenient that offer different brands of skates and ask your coach or someone else knowledgeable to recommend a fitter. Try them on, take notes and then go home. Then try them on again. Remember that if you skate at night your feet usually do swell up so skates that are snug but comfy in the morning may be really tight at night. Make sure the fitter(s) take a long time with measuring your foot, length and the ball and the heel. Make sure you are standing when they measure your foot because your feet will spread a little as opposed to when you are sitting.

erin_m
09-16-2002, 04:28 PM
Thanks guys! I am used to looking around for dance shoes (especially when I was taking pointe) so hopefully that will help a little. Keep the advice coming though, everything helps! :D

dbny
09-16-2002, 08:15 PM
I agree with all of the above advice. Also, wear tights or knee highs when you try on boots, not socks. You should know too, that figure boots run one to two sizes smaller than street shoes. If you are in doubt about a boot, ask if you can take out the insole, then stand on it and see how well your foot fits. Every brand fits a bit differently: Riedells tend to be a bit narrower in the ball of the foot and Jacksons generally are better for a wide foot.

Good luck, and be sure to let us know what you get.

wannask8
09-16-2002, 09:23 PM
There have been a number of great posts on this forum in the past few months with great info on different makes, models, buying, etc. You might try doing a search for some of those. A few that jump out include the following (by thread name and last post date):

-Haaalp!! Lrng to Skt just had first skating lesson (6/8/02)
-Klingbeil opinions? (7/28/02)
-A Day with Mr. Klingbeil (8/31/02)
-Prices of boots and blades (9/1-6/02)

It’s easy to get overwhelmed (especially if you’ve never done this before) by the selection/buying experience. I was lucky enough to have my coach (from whom I had only taken a few lessons by then) help with my fitting, but if that’s not an option, be sure to have someone who knows what he or she is doing fit you. Ask a lot of questions, and if you’re not comfortable with the person you’re talking with, go to someone else. At my first visit to a pro shop, I ended up with a late teens/early 20s guy who said he fitted people for figure skates all the time, but just seemed like more of a hockey type. He told me I needed a regular (medium) width (my street shoes are AA, with AAAA heels). I bagged and went back another time when someone else could assist me.

-- wannask8

Alexa
09-17-2002, 07:33 AM
I agree with everyone that said to get a good fitter. When I first went in to buy skates, I was amazed at the small skate the fitter wanted to give me. I later found out that new skates do feel small, but this person did not do a good job of explaining all of this to me, plus what really made me mad was that she said if the ball of your foot is wide, that I might want to think about getting hockey skates. My issues with this were many--

1) I wanted figure skates as I was planning on taking figure skating classes--not to become a hockey player, and she knew this

2) I wear normal size shoes--not wides, so obviously there should be figure skates out there for me

3) There are tons of skaters out there, with many different types of feet, and a skate to fit them all.

So, after thinking about it, I called the director of the skating rink, and she fitted me, and suggested a different brand that would be a better fit. The other person did not do this at all--she made it sound like if I didn't like the brand she had me try on, then that was it.

So, I continued working with her until the new skates came in and I tried them on. I am glad that I worked with her, or I would not have skates right now.

RoaringSkates
09-17-2002, 09:47 AM
I agree. Don't go to a big box type store that specializes in all sports. Instead, go to a skating pro shop, a speciality shop that deals with skates and supplies. See if your coach can recommend a good shop, and a specific pro that you should see. Have that person, who should be an experienced fitter of figure skates, fit you and recommend some brands of skates that will fit your feet.

People are right - different brands of skates work for different people. For example, Harlicks have a narrow forefoot, Reidells are considered a good overall fit and a good value, Klingbeils run wider in the forefoot and are more expensive...and within each brand, there are different levels of boot. The one you get depends on how often you'll skate, the level you're at with your skating, how much you weigh, among other things.

Once you get your skates you may need to go back to the pro several times to have them adjusted. This is pretty normal in my experience. I've had to have my toebox punched out in several areas and my left foot arch lowered.

If you're in the NY/NJ area, let me know. I have a great pro here.

arena_gal
09-17-2002, 01:29 PM
I have feet suitable for hockey skates, wear a mens 8.5 Bauer actually. However, my figure skates are Jacksons Competitor, "D" width. They didn't cost any more than regular Competitors, but I had to wait for them to come from the factory since that width is not regularly stocked. The downside is that I had to get the Competitors to get such a wide width, and paid about $260 as a result, they're not a skate marketed to recreational skaters, although that's what I am.

The blades that come standard with these skates are really rockered, 7"radius (ie curvy), which is OK because I'm used to it, but they could be too much for a new skater. It is possible to buy this boot separately and then put a bigger radius 8" blade on them. It would be more expensive than a package.

Obviously to get this skate you'd have to deal with a full time figure skating shop, and really, don't take my opinion but go to a skate shop and try everything on for yourself. Even try the guy skates, black skates are cool.

erin_m
09-18-2002, 10:00 AM
Thanks everyone! I'm going skate shopping this weekend so I'll definitely let you know how it goes.

erin_m
09-21-2002, 09:44 PM
Just thought I would update everyone on the skates I bought. I'm very happy with them.

I got Jacksons! They are used but in VERY good condition, a couple little marks but they aren't really worn down at all. They were definitely the most comfortable skates I tried. They are probably at least a $500 pair of skates when new (the blades didn't come with the boot originally) and I got them for $270 plus tax.

Now that I have skates I can't wait to start skating!!! :D

dbny
09-22-2002, 01:28 AM
Congratulations Erin :) :) :) That's great news. Soon you can post on the weekly lessons/practices thread. I look forward to seeing you there.

erin_m
09-22-2002, 11:06 AM
Thanks!!! I look forward to seeing me there too :D