View Full Version : formula for skating hours per jump

Logan3
03-19-2007, 12:28 PM
Hi, can somebody please remind me how this formula works? I think it is half hour of skating for half revolution, or something like that. So if my dd is FS3 how many hours does she need to skate?
Jumps: waltz, half flip, toe loop, salchow, half lutz and she just started working on loop.
Also, are those hours just practicing or lessons count too?
Not that I am rushing to sign her up for all the required hours, just wondering.....
Thanks!

jp1andOnly
03-19-2007, 02:15 PM
i dont think there is a set hours to skate. personally, after one hour on the ice, I'm too tired to do anymore. I skate more often rather than all at once. Most kids skate 3-4 days. This is not to say all do. Its a personal choice. Maybe 2 is enough at this point for her.

sk8_mom
03-19-2007, 04:02 PM
This site has a chart that describes how long it takes to acquire a jump:

http://www.skatingaheadofthecurve.com/TimingOfSkillAcquisition.html

I have no idea how accurate this really is. Also this site is from a Canadian coach so there are many references to the Skate Canada program.

jp1andOnly
03-19-2007, 05:13 PM
I dont believe the chart really. Each child is different. I know one child who got her double axel in about a week. I know other kids who have been working on the axel for 2-3 years. I know even more kids who have been working on doubles even longer.

This site has a chart that describes how long it takes to acquire a jump:

http://www.skatingaheadofthecurve.com/TimingOfSkillAcquisition.html

I have no idea how accurate this really is. Also this site is from a Canadian coach so there are many references to the Skate Canada program.

Clarice
03-20-2007, 08:04 AM
I learned that formula from someone called goldjudge on the USFS board. You're right, as I remember it - one half hour for each half revolution. Yes, lessons would count, if I'm remembering right. Your daughter's jump list contains 9 half revolutions - one each for the waltz, half flip, and half lutz, and 2 each for the toe loop, salchow, and loop. So, according to the formula, she should skate 4 to 5 hours a week. By the time all those jumps are full jumps and she's working on the axel, it would be up to 13 half revolutions, or 6 to 7 hours per week. My coach uses a per-lesson formula - she recommends an hour of skating for each lesson you take, not counting the lesson sessions. So, somebody taking two lessons a week should be skating a minimum of 4 hours per week. Either formula sounds reasonable to me, but both are geared towards skaters taking private lessons. I'll ask my coach whether she modifies her advice for skaters who are still in group classes.

twokidsskatemom
03-20-2007, 12:50 PM
I learned that formula from someone called goldjudge on the USFS board. You're right, as I remember it - one half hour for each half revolution. Yes, lessons would count, if I'm remembering right. Your daughter's jump list contains 9 half revolutions - one each for the waltz, half flip, and half lutz, and 2 each for the toe loop, salchow, and loop. So, according to the formula, she should skate 4 to 5 hours a week. By the time all those jumps are full jumps and she's working on the axel, it would be up to 13 half revolutions, or 6 to 7 hours per week. My coach uses a per-lesson formula - she recommends an hour of skating for each lesson you take, not counting the lesson sessions. So, somebody taking two lessons a week should be skating a minimum of 4 hours per week. Either formula sounds reasonable to me, but both are geared towards skaters taking private lessons. I'll ask my coach whether she modifies her advice for skaters who are still in group classes.
That is where I saw it at too, and you are right.
I dont know if its a magic formula, but at least parents/skaters can understand that you have to practice as well as have lessons.

Sessy
03-20-2007, 03:35 PM
i dont think there is a set hours to skate. personally, after one hour on the ice, I'm too tired to do anymore. I skate more often rather than all at once. Most kids skate 3-4 days. This is not to say all do. Its a personal choice. Maybe 2 is enough at this point for her.

I, on the other hand, am only properly warmed up after an hour. We had 2 hours of ice instead of 1 last sunday, after 1,5 hours I was the only one of the non-nationals competing group still on the ice skating and doing run-throughs of my programme and my jumps had never been as high and felt as strong as that in lessons and I was doing the programme run-throughs at full strength and also doing crossovers at maximum of my strength to practice them when the ice got a little deserted - it wasn't like I was taking it easy. But then I've always been more of a long-distance runner than a sprinter in school. I like to skate for 3 hours if I can, after that I'm properly tired. There's definately individual preferences there, biologically pre-determined. My mom for example is a total sprinter. She can sustain physical exercise for a quarter hour at most, to the point where she kept complaining about her former dance partner with whom she competed at nationals that he was like me, only warming up after an hour when by then, she was completely exhausted.