View Full Version : Working Hard or Hardly Working (Practice Thread 3/18 - 3/24/2007)

Isk8NYC
03-19-2007, 09:58 AM
Working Hard:
Worked on the Power 3's for Prel MITF. Have to focus on bringing the feet together BEFORE pushing into the back crossover.
Did a few upright and sit spins. Back spin start (arms) hurt, so I only tried two of those. Eh.

Hardly Working:
Since I skated at a birthday party yesterday, I skipped the freestyle session.
Just as well, the shoulder feels really wobbly.
Didn't try any jumps or fancy arm positions on spins.

PS - Anyone heard from Casey recently?

phoenix
03-19-2007, 11:03 AM
Working Hard: AN program! Just kicked into working on it w/ real focus last week having finished testing. It's coming along & I'm really enjoying it! The past 2 years I've had programs that were 2:30 & 2:10, so the 1:40 is feeling pretty easy to get through without dying. :halo: Am starting to add some arms to it too.

Hardly Working: 2/3 through my straightline footwork, I have a series of turns on one foot (hence no pushes), and the speed gets slower.....and slower....and s-l-o-w-e-r....until finally I'm literally not moving anymore. Not good. Coach says keep working at it, and we'll change it the week before, if need be.

jazzpants
03-19-2007, 12:01 PM
Hardly Working:

My loop and flip decided to go on vacation!!! http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/traurig/a045.gif I got a couple of loops out of it but that's it. Decided the rest of the session not to do any more jumps and risk learning it wrong again.

Actually, NOTHING was working this weekend! Even my good spins were OFF! I don't know what happened. I ended up doing something edgework instead. Of course, it's obviously NOT meditative when you have all these little BRATS (BIG ONES TOO!!! One hockey guy was nice but I guess the rest of the Hockey Dads don't like figure skaters huh?) skating right into you!!! :evil: :x

And would the couple who are KISSING on the ice, PLEASE GO GET A ROOM!?!?! :x

Working hard:
Well, *I* was working hard... but at the end it was time to call it a day and not push it! (It was time to leave anyway. I skated just a little after an hour anyway so...)

Sessy
03-19-2007, 12:04 PM
Jazz, maybe you've got a cold coming. That always throws my balance off.

coskater64
03-19-2007, 12:21 PM
Working Hard:
A judge from my state gave me the advice that I should do what I do best to my fullest, so work the spins and the footwork, so that is what I am doing. I started work on my flying camel and over the course of the lesson it went from hop to flying and position is getting better. Landed axels and my first clean 2 sow on harness with on minimal pain.

Hardly working:
Camera angel from mids made me look soooo thin, I am making a full press to put on 10 lbs over the course of the year. Speed is better but still so slow, arms continue to need work but all things considered, it could have been so much worse.

doubletoe
03-19-2007, 02:31 PM
Working Hard:
A judge from my state gave me the advice that I should do what I do best to my fullest, so work the spins and the footwork, so that is what I am doing. I started work on my flying camel and over the course of the lesson it went from hop to flying and position is getting better. Landed axels and my first clean 2 sow on harness with on minimal pain.

Hardly working:
Camera angel from mids made me look soooo thin, I am making a full press to put on 10 lbs over the course of the year. Speed is better but still so slow, arms continue to need work but all things considered, it could have been so much worse.

Coskater, I heard you skated great at Mids this weekend!! :D :bow:

Rusty Blades
03-19-2007, 04:10 PM
Hardly Working: Had 2 hours on the competition venue this morning :mrgreen: and was pleased to find the altitude isn't bothering me. Was able to muster good power and speed without puffing myself inside out. Everything seemed to be working well. Might try a program run-through tomorrow, keep Wednesday to stay loose, and then go for broke on Thursday - after all, the one that count is the one the judges see 8-)

dbny
03-19-2007, 05:25 PM
Working Hard:
I got two good one foot spins from FO edge today, and I'm starting to enjoy spinning again! I demo'ed checking the LFO three prior to a Sal for another adult skater, and, of course, they were nicely checked.

Hardly Working:
I need to apply my "rule of 10" to FO and FI threes and the BI Choctaw in the prelim power three pattern. Rule of 10 - do each problem move 10 times every time I skate. I find that after I do one or two FI threes on each foot, I go on to something else. I need to make myself stick with it!

doubletoe
03-19-2007, 05:37 PM
Working Hard
- Yesterday Daisies gave me a suggestion on the flying camel--changing the setup from back crossovers to a RFI3-turn--and it really made a difference! :bow: Now I just need to change the setup for the setup, so that I'm approaching the element forward and CCW instead of backward and CW.
- I nailed the axel from the landing of the loop jump twice yesterday, and both times I employed the same technique so that means it should be repeatable. So now the loop-axel is back in the program. (Fingers crossed!)
- My stamina seems to be just fine these days, which makes it much less arduous to skate my 2:40 program. I did two run-throughs yesterday and didn't feel tired or winded. Hmm. . . Maybe it was just because we actually had a little moisture in the air yesterday? Thank goodness Chicago doesn't have the low humidity we have here in SoCal!

Hardly Working
- So where's the progress I supposedly made on my double salchow on Friday?? Yesterday I was back to my old tricks: landing backwards on the toe, then inexplicably breaking forward and putting both hands on the ice. Sigh.
- Didn't land the loop-axel in either of my program run-throughs yesterday. I had a timing glitch in the first run-through, so I skated the whole program again just to prove I could land the axel. . . and by the time I got to the axel, some girl was right there in my spot, in the middle of a combination spin. :frus:
-My back has been stiff and sore for a week. Fortunately, it's down to just my left shoulder blade/traps now, but still. . . :??
- Backspin out of the camel-sit is still hit and miss, even when I supposedly have it working.

Isk8NYC
03-19-2007, 08:02 PM
I always liked doing the Flying Camel from an series of three turns. It made it float, somehow, and it was easier to "cross the river."

Working Hard:
My shoulder's better today. I was careful not to use that arm too much, which meant my students only had one-handed spiral support. (Both low-level beginners.)

My 12-year old student did a couple of very nice LFO3's, but her crossovers were bad - she wasn't using her arms!

Hardly Working:
Practiced a bit of the Power Threes, which is tough with only one arm!

DBNY - I saw that little cutie we had in Mommy & Me. She's taking groups on Mondays. Still as sweet - very tall now!
I've been using the "Rule of 10" for tango stops, but I'm still spazzing out on them. Ah well, someday, someday.

Emberchyld
03-19-2007, 08:02 PM
Hardly Working: Had cortisone shot into my hip last Friday to take care of some inflammation/bursal fluid that was making my hip snap and hurt for the past few months. Then, my doc told me to keep away from heavy exercise :cry: for over a week. Of course, I just redefined heavy exercise not to include my LTS class:evil:

But, then... my balance was soooooo off for no reason that I could understand that I kept going too far back on my blades and during warm up (and goofing-off) before class, I fell over and bruised/pulled something in my bottom :cry: enough that it hurt to begin spins, go into back crossovers, and land jumps. But since I'm a crazy adult skater, that didn't stop me from....

Working Hard: Before the disastrous warm-up, my LTS coach had turned to me and said, "I think this is a jumps day!" :D

When class started, I sucked it up and warned her that I can jump without it hurting, and land without it hurting, but that my butt hurt every time a few seconds later when the jiggle from the landing started!

So, we worked on my toe loop-- week 2 and I look a little bit less like a spastic pigeon. I've learned that I'm only really "jumping" right if I'm flat on my rear staring up at my coach immediately after landing (sooooo have to work on landing)!

Then we worked on toe-tap waltz jumps until my poor out-of-shape body cried uncle.

I'm lucky that I have a coach who has infinite patience, infinite energy, and knows how to make falling flat on my rear in pursuit of a jump fun (all the while coaching the rest of the class through their first backwards crossovers and backwards glides):bow: .

doubletoe
03-19-2007, 10:28 PM
I always liked doing the Flying Camel from an series of three turns. It made it float, somehow, and it was easier to "cross the river."

Thanks, Isk8NYC, you're the second person today to mention doing it from a series of 3-turns, so I'd better try it! :)

Glad you are babying that shoulder, and hope it's 100% better soon!

Mrs Redboots
03-20-2007, 07:16 AM
Working hard: Last lesson before the competition, so we ran through everything, including Husband's free programme, which Coach1 hadn't seen much as Husband does solo work with Coach2.

Our Canasta, Swing Dance and Fiesta are as good as can be expected - I must remember to keep my weight back as far as possible on the cross-in-front before the step to forwards on the Fiesta, as I'm apt to come up on my toes, thus grinding to a halt, and then have to lurch forwards into the restart! Coach1 isn't very happy with it, but did say, when pressed, that it had improved since October, which was the last time we competed it.

Hardly Working: We had a disastrous run-through of the Willow - we got out of time with the music and with each other, but the second try was better. I'm still not confident enough, though - I struggle a bit, and it shows.

Husband missed the change-foot at the start of his programme, and his flip landing was a bit odd, but he did the best camel we've ever seen him do!

Have gone quite mad and told Barbara that if we don't have any opposition at pre-Bronze in the Mountain Cup, we want to skate Bronze. This means getting my 14-step up and running in six weeks flat.... I just hope someone else enters pre-Bronze dance.

Working very hard indeed and I'm delighted to learn that BlueIIIMoon is coming to stay with a friend of ours just before Oberstdorf, so I'm hoping I'll get to skate with her at our rink!

tidesong
03-20-2007, 11:19 AM
pheonix: i'm used to my 2:30 program, so when I do ISI artistic at 2:00 it feels like a breeze lol!

Hardly Working:
After confronting my nervous issues, coach said the first program run through I did was probably the worst he had ever seen. Funny that I didn't feel it was half bad.

I'm also worried that I can hardly tell the difference (when I'm doing it) between a good step sequence and a bad one. I just totally forget that I have to 1) bend my knees 2) flow in and out of the steps 3) stay on my edges to achieve 2) I put this in that order because its easier for me to think of flow and hence end up on my edges then the other way around.

Working Hard:
So after saying that I had to voice about those nervous issues sometimes, so I was suppose to put it behind me... second time through the program, apparently the first part was better because I remembered now what I had to do for my step sequence.
Then I forgot totally that I had to emote in the soft section.
So that was pointer for the third run through.

I got some beautiful double salchows in... just not in any of my three run throughs...

Hardly Working:
I was so breathless after my run throughs and my heart was beating so crazy it was crazy...

Working Hard:
My efforts to remember knee bend in general and to LIFT MY FEET after each stroke or cross over appears to be slowly but surely slipping into my subconcious because someone remarked that my crossovers looked a little better now.

I would like to thank whichever people that pointed out that the nerves and the feelings caused by nerves are there to stay during competitions (for me thats jelly knees and general stiffening)
And to think for a while I was wondering how to prevent that...

Now I know better. I know those will come, its kinda inevitable, but I CAN do something about it. I get stiff? Fine... I can still bend my knees, I have jelly knees? As long as I align my hips over my knees and my knees over the ball of my foot I'm staying on my feet. I'm going to try and work with that. I have three ice times (aka trial runs) before the real thing.

So well I'm like ok... I went to look up some sports psychology info and am going to try some of them out in a more organized manner.
(sorry for long post!)

Laura H
03-20-2007, 01:02 PM
Working Hard . . .

I stayed the entire public session last night after taking adult group lesson . . . so tired after it was over but the ice was so empty it seemed a shame to waste it!

Hours and hours of spinning are paying off . . . one foot almost decent when demonstrated for our instructor . . . yay!! Our whole 1/2 hour lesson last night was SPINS . . . one foot from backwards crossovers entry; then worked on backspin; then, (I think for her amusement??!) we worked on sit spins. Yeesh. At one point I realized that everyone else in the rink is watching us . . yikes!!! (of course, it was a very sparsely attended public session, just a few other adults, and 3 other adults in the other group class, but STILL!). But it was kinda cool though, because one of the skaters not in the lesson came up afterwards and was asking all about sit spins . . . I've seen her skate before, and she has a flip!! but has never been taught a sit spin.

While on the public session, one of the skaters from the other group asked me if I could show her how to spin . . . so I showed her how to do a 2 foot spin . . . fun stuff!! :) (and it's quite 8O to think that *I* am now giving spin advice! whodathunkit??).

Hardly working . . .

My sit spin . . . cause I'm too chicken to bring my leg all the way over and lock it into sit spin position! :giveup:

my blades. I just don't feel secure on them although they still are producing fingernail shavings ;) so I cornered ds' coach last night for a second opinion - she agreed that they had some edge but if I felt like I was slipping, might as well go ahead and get them sharpened.

and in other news . . .
:::::::sigh::::::::::: I knew it was bound to happen sometime, but 8 y.o. DS has officially left me in the dust . . . we were neck and neck for a while, but now he has a flip, landing loop and lutz on a fairly consistent basis, and a couple of revs on his sit spin. ah, youth . . . :giveup:

jazzpants
03-20-2007, 01:13 PM
Working hard:

Starting to get back my loop and flip at the beginning of the session
Back sit is at least a back squat now. :lol: Now to get it lower...
Hardly working:

Lost loops and flips towards the end of the session again. Oh, dear! I hope I get it back by tomorrow. :cry: (I immediately stopped working on those jumps and continued on other things.)
Sit spin doesn't want to SIT 'til the end of the session.

jazzpants
03-20-2007, 01:20 PM
Working hard:
Loop and flip came back in time for my lesson with secondary coach!!! That was a CLOSE CALL!!! :bow: :bow: :bow: (Secondary coach also assured me that jumps will sometimes go on vacation for a weekend or a day... so don't expect jumps to always be there. You've proven to me that you have those jumps now!!! :bow: )

Hardly working:
Still working on the back of the blade. I could get on the correct edge and part of the foot when I'm at the wall, but I can't seem to stay on it when I'm doing it away from the wall. :x But there is one consolation....

Working hard:
One of our Bronze skaters complemented me on my backspin and says he's never seen me done backspins like THAT. (Too bad for me, even though it looks like a real backspin, I'm really "cheating" on the spin. :lol: )

doubletoe
03-20-2007, 01:28 PM
Working hard:
One of our Bronze skaters complemented me on my backspin and says he's never seen me done backspins like THAT. (Too bad for me, even though it looks like a real backspin, I'm really "cheating" on the spin. :lol: )

How do you cheat on a backspin??

doubletoe
03-20-2007, 01:32 PM
Thanks, Isk8NYC, you're the second person today to mention doing it from a series of 3-turns, so I'd better try it! :)

Glad you are babying that shoulder, and hope it's 100% better soon!

Well, I tried the flying camel from two consecutive RFI3-turns (RFI3, short LFO edge, RFI3, takeoff edge). Unfortunately, it didn't work as well as the one RFI3. But tomorrow I can get some help on it in my lesson. Maybe it's fixable (FX!) Iskk8NYC, any suggestions?

Isk8NYC
03-20-2007, 01:53 PM
Just use the left toepick to push into each RFI3, don't use a LFO edge. Then, after you turn the last RFI3 and are on a RBO, it's a quick LFO entry into the jump with an open hip. Make sure you keep your left arm in front as the right leg jumps "over the river" then the arms have to snap into the camel along with the leg. Stay down on the knee for the first rev, but you already knew that.

Sessy
03-20-2007, 03:31 PM
Our university bathrooms are the perfect axel and ballet practice places! No really. They're with large open spaces, and have big wall-height mirrors and after 9 in the evening practically deserted till 10.30 in the evening when security locks all doors...

dbny
03-20-2007, 04:06 PM
How do you cheat on a backspin??

It's funny you should ask that, because it's one of the ironies of the CoP that what is a cheat for a beginner (at the backspin) means extra points for an elite competitor. The cheat is to be spinning on the FI edge instead of the BO edge, which is something almost everyone does when learning the backspin. Of course, when beginners do it, it's because they are not in proper control, whereas an elite skater can switch back and forth with no problem. This is all from someone who can't do any kind of backspin :roll:.

Working Hard:
There's a rink that I've avoided because of an unpleasant incident there, but now with my outdoor rink closed, it's that rink or none for any day other than Mon or Fri, so I girded myself and went today. I had a great time! There were two other adults that I know and a coach that I've worked with, so the initial environment was friendly. I applied my "rule of 10", and worked harder today than I have in a long time. The payoff was that I actually started to feel comfortable with Prelim F Power 3's on the right side, and the L side is starting to seem doable. I got one good one foot spin from FO edge, but spins were not really on today. Remembering skiing, I worked on F power pulls and was delighted to hear a rip and keep up the speed. BXO to BO edge pattern seems to be consistent. I played with the 5 step Mohawk, very slowly, but it wasn't so bad. FI threes suffer from fear more than anything else, and today I made real headway against it, managing to do several consecutive ones down the blue line. Finally, I was talking with another adult whom I know, who came in later, about T pushes, and she mentioned figures. I had tried the FO and FI eights years ago, and could not get all the way around. I tried again today, and much to my amazement, had no problem. I also now get just over 3/4 of the way across on one push, as opposed to just over half previously. All that work on T pushes in my lessons has paid off. I even did a BO eight, which wasn't pretty, but was complete.

Hardly Working:
As I already said, spins were just not on today. R hip is hurting from the pressure of power pulls and power threes. Holding the BI edge is what's doing it in BXO's and in power threes. I still can't take anything for it, so I'm just hoping it goes away.

jazzpants
03-20-2007, 04:22 PM
How do you cheat on a backspin??It's funny you should ask that, because it's one of the ironies of the CoP that what is a cheat for a beginner (at the backspin) means extra points for an elite competitor. The cheat is to be spinning on the FI edge instead of the BO edge, which is something almost everyone does when learning the backspin. Of course, when beginners do it, it's because they are not in proper control, whereas an elite skater can switch back and forth with no problem. This is all from someone who can't do any kind of backspin :roll:. Doubletoe... what dbny said!!! :lol:

Secondary coach is trying to fix it now. Primary coach jokes that I now have a Level 3 spin (before he tries to fix it...) And way back when I was taking lessons with Charlie Tickner, he told me once that he's actually impressed that I can do a backspin on an inside edge (before he tries to fix it of course... :roll: :lol: )

Maybe they shouldn't fix it. Then I'll have a Level 3 spin!!! LOL!!! :twisted: :lol:

Working Hard:
There's a rink that I've avoided because of an unpleasant incident there, but now with my outdoor rink closed, it's that rink or none for any day other than Mon or Fri, so I girded myself and went today. I had a great time!
Good that you had a great time at the rink even though you had an unpleasant experience there!!!! :D

Sessy
03-20-2007, 04:37 PM
So you're telling me that the fact that the only sit spin I can do is a fi edge backsit is actually good and not bad? Whoa. :lol:

Rusty Blades
03-20-2007, 05:26 PM
Working Hard This morning’s practice started a little slow and quiet but as more and more adults began filtering in from all parts of Canada the energy level became palpable! Most of the adult competitors know each other from previous years and there is a STRONG sense of camaraderie, but the unfamiliar face is certainly not ignored! I had numerous people come up and introduce themselves.

Practice was fine. I could feel the effects of yesterday’s strenuous workout – a reminder to take it easy today and tomorrow – and a few twinges from my right ankle. Ok, if I am going to blow my ankle, we’ll save that for the final seconds of my performance on Thursday!

I ran through my program (in parts) and everything was working well. Given enough adrenalin on Thursday, I just might be able to fill the Olympic size ice! Got a few compliments on my poise – compliments are always nice !

Adult social tonight - hope everyone survives more or less in tact.

One more practice day before (Canadian) Adult Nationals!

dbny
03-20-2007, 05:27 PM
So you're telling me that the fact that the only sit spin I can do is a fi edge backsit is actually good and not bad? Whoa. :lol:

Not really. The only way it's good is if you can demonstrate sufficient control to change edge during the spin at will. If you are trying to do a backspin and are on the FI edge, you don't get full credit.

Skate@Delaware
03-20-2007, 05:52 PM
I decided to show up at today's public session (I've not been going to it since most homeschooler's have been using it as a reason to bail on school or for gym credit). And I wanted to work hard on some stuff, but one of the skating club teens was there...hanging around me so it sort of was a hardly working session. Oh well.

Working Hard: did manage to hit the spins from a t-stop. Managed a few with looooong entrances but not doing a circle. That is really hard! I'm popping up too soon. Cheated at the end of the session and did 3 scratch spins and they were centered. I was in one and I saw a kid skate really close but I did not bail and he did not collide with me!

Hardly Working: Jump combo was weak but I will cut myself some slack. Did manage to do all in combo without forgetting the steps!

Towards the end of the session, tried 2 loops. They were actually pretty close but no cookie.

I was very tired by the end of the session-forgot to pack a sandwich and the lunch I managed to buy locally wasn't enough for me!

There were a lot of homeschoolers there so it really was difficult to get anything done, without worrying about hitting anyone!!!8O (accidentally, I mean!)

doubletoe
03-20-2007, 06:19 PM
Doubletoe... what dbny said!!! :lol:

Secondary coach is trying to fix it now. Primary coach jokes that I now have a Level 3 spin (before he tries to fix it...) And way back when I was taking lessons with Charlie Tickner, he told me once that he's actually impressed that I can do a backspin on an inside edge (before he tries to fix it of course... :roll: :lol: )

Maybe they shouldn't fix it. Then I'll have a Level 3 spin!!! LOL!!! :twisted: :lol:

Oh, okay, got it, LOL! Actually, if you do a backspin from a RFI3-turn and do two turns on the inside edge and two turns on the outside edge, then you won't have a level 3 but you will have a level 2! So keep doing both, LOL!

dbny
03-20-2007, 06:22 PM
did manage to hit the spins from a t-stop. Managed a few with looooong entrances but not doing a circle. That is really hard! I'm popping up too soon.

Do you mean a T-push? I can't imagine a spin from a T-stop.
I'm working on the T-push entrance also, but my biggest problem is letting the free leg get too far out and too high so it pulls me off center before I've really begun the spin. Oh yeah, I also get too much momentum to control at this point. Congrats on not getting freaked by the kid!

Skittl1321
03-20-2007, 09:17 PM
Working Hard This week the program went much better than last (when I left in tears). Coach says its at a point where I could perform it and not look like a complete fool, but if I want to perform it well- I need to work on a lot. And I need to skate more to the music and less with music in the background, but hey- it's only the second lesson I've done it- and I never practiced on ice in between. The biggest problem is spacing on the ice. I keep running into the show curtain. Since right now the curtain is an invisible line, I imagine I will be less likely to do so when there is a real curtain.

Did ALL- yes ALL- my 3 turns today. Did awesome BO and finally got some BI.
Also learned brackets today. I can do one. Then I get stuck.

Hardly Working Had a very very heavy snowplow sam student who nearly knocked me down today. Normally I will only hold onto one hand and help them march on a first lesson, and only help pick them up after a couple of tries that is slowing down the class, but only assist. This kid couldn't even "stand like a statue" for more than a few seconds, and would lunge right towards me. He was big enough to nearly knock me over doing this. Then he couldn't set a hand down onto the ice to help him stand up, so he wasn't ever able to be able to do it on his own. The fact that he would flail because he though it was funny did not help my back. After a few times, I ended up kneeling on the ice to pick him up, because there was no way I could do it standing without using my back or falling over. I did tell his parents next time figure skates- I wish they wouldn't rent hockey skates to snowplow 1 kids- it is never a good thing.

Morgail
03-20-2007, 11:04 PM
Working Hard:
-Flip jump!! Didn't land any on one foot for my lesson (of course:roll: ), but I did finally get the crossed-leg motion going. I did one flip where I'd actually crossed my legs so tightly that I felt like I was doing a double (and then I thought - "Wow! I've finally crossed my legs! This is great. Wow, this jump is big!" - and then I promptly tripped myself on the landing and scraped up my right boot because I forgot to uncross my legs).
-Loop jump from long edge is getting ever so closer to working.
-Change foot spin. I haven't tried one of these since getting my backspin consistent. They're much easier when you can actually backspin!
-Back cross rolls are slowly improving.

Hardly Working:
-Back 3-turns - all of them! Can't seem to make myself stand up straight when I turn.

Thin-Ice
03-21-2007, 04:15 AM
Hey Rusty--

Sounds like you're really getting into the ADULT competition spirit. I hope you had fun, but didn't party toooooo hard... after all, you have a program to perform!

Best wishes!

Thin-Ice

Sonic
03-21-2007, 05:08 AM
Hardly working
My dances are lousy. All of them.
Okay, so last night's hard ice did make it more difficult to hold edges, but really that's no excuse. I don't practise them enough - then I complain 'I'm rubbish at dance!'

Working hard
Surprisingly, most other stuff has been better than usual:

-back threes: I now have a reasonable RBO three and seem to be on the way to a reasonable RBI one...
-backspin has got better again (even though it's still not very good)
-Loops and loop-loop combinations starting to get a little more height
-Spins: Fingers crossed this is a good spinning week. Camel is quite consistent, sit is sitting, managed a couple of laybacks with about 3 revs, and last night came out with a camel-sit-cross-layback - CENTRED!!
I nearly photographed the tracing. Big fluke, but felt great all the same.
-Flip: I hardly dare say this because this jump has been the bane of my life for nearly 10 months...but recently it seems to have progressed from 'total crap' to 'not quite so crap', and it was the best I've ever done it last night.

Fingers crossed that this 'good skating vibe' lasts - and holds out for 7am tomorrow morning for my programme lesson.......

S xxx

jskater49
03-21-2007, 07:06 AM
Mythical - My contracted ice is Mondays and Fridays but I was going to do walk on this morning since I haven't skated since Sat. 4:30 am the alarm goes off. I turned it off and went back to sleep.

6 am - daughter who has 5:45 am lesson calls "Mom, I forgot my lesson wasn't at 6:15" (her other lesson is a 6:15)

Must be because she's so spoiled and indulged. (ooh- just can't resist the sarcasm..):twisted:

j

Isk8NYC
03-21-2007, 10:59 AM
Working Hard:
Back spins - still scratching with the toe pick, but at least I still have a good entrance. Figured out the exit problem - not checking out the arms early enough - I wait until after the foot uncrosses and pulls out; has to be at the same time in one motion.

Loop jumps - started from scratch since I never learned the RFI3 entry. That's a tough entry, but the skill set is great. My arm checks are okay, along with my knee bend, but it's very difficult to keep that free foot crossed in front through the whole jump. (One change: have to DO IT SLOWLY because I was getting too much distance. LOL)

Did a bunch on the wall, but I was comfortable enough to step away later on and actually got a "good!" from the coach.

Other spins at the end were traveling. Still favoring that shoulder, I guess.

Hardly Working:
Still starting each lesson with fwd/bckwd Prelim crossover circles that give me arch cramps. See what happens when you DON'T get in the habit of pointing your toes? LOL Best foward ones seem to be when my underpush rolls off the toepick with a 'flick.' Back ones were a comedy routine this morning: when I change circles, I either do the landing position right or I turn my head right. Never shall the twain meet. HAHAHA

Rule of Ten: Tango stops better; have to add LBO3 and back double threes to the list.

Mrs Redboots
03-21-2007, 12:16 PM
Hardly working: Tried to run through our dances, but somehow the ice was very busy and we kept nearly running into people. The elites were working on choreography - I wish I knew how they could do things without one of them saying to the other, "What did you do? Which foot were you on? Which edge were you on?" which is what seems to happen when we try. Even such a simple thing as finishing off the Swing Dance tidily.... Do We understand "LFO, RFO, LFI slide chassé with arm beautifully extended and smile at the judges?" We do not! Grrrr.

Working hard: However, we are beginning to cover more ice during our warm-up exercises, which is something I really want to shoot for now, and I've asked our coach to make sure we do - he usually makes us do one or two exercises before we start working on any given dance. We can do four pushes easily when in Open Kilian hold, so why can't we in any other hold?

Spent a lot of time in my lesson working on bracket-3-brackets, mostly on 2 feet, as he wants to get the "twist" in my waist going. I am not complaining - I still need to lose another inch off of it!

Also did forward accelerating cross-rolls ("Good, but don't hunch your shoulders when you accelerate"), changes of edge ("A bit diagonal!") and the extended edges exercise from level 3 ("No, not quite passable - you need to take the edge out towards the centre more as you're finishing it too close to the barrier, and your forward runs are horrible!").

Nevertheless, it was a good lesson.

Team Arthritis
03-21-2007, 02:00 PM
Working!: Learned something about a good toeloop->
the toe pick is with the inside edge of the rake, not the top (eg for a FLip) and you really reach out a little to the side (coach said 7:00). I was toe down and straight back and couldn't get any draw, but a little to the side and (contrary to what I imagined) I could really sit back on it and draw around on it much more!
Lyle

dbny
03-21-2007, 04:04 PM
[B]Also did forward accelerating cross-rolls

Do you mean accelerating speed or accelerating frequency of strokes? Or maybe both? Sounds interesting.

Mrs Redboots
03-21-2007, 06:21 PM
Do you mean accelerating speed or accelerating frequency of strokes? Or maybe both? Sounds interesting.Both - you start with holding each edge quite a long time - I usually count 4 beats, and then gradually reduce the number of beats until you are just doing one-beat edges, and your speed does increase - you have to be careful to turn before you crash into the end barrier!

dbny
03-21-2007, 06:27 PM
Both - you start with holding each edge quite a long time - I usually count 4 beats, and then gradually reduce the number of beats until you are just doing one-beat edges, and your speed does increase - you have to be careful to turn before you crash into the end barrier!

It sounds like fun, but I would have to be really on to do them one beat each! That's Paso Doble timing. Are there any dances skated at less than 100 beats per minute? I don't remember. I'll give it a try tomorrow.

Skate@Delaware
03-21-2007, 09:06 PM
Working!: Learned something about a good toeloop->
the toe pick is with the inside edge of the rake, not the top (eg for a FLip) and you really reach out a little to the side (coach said 7:00). I was toe down and straight back and couldn't get any draw, but a little to the side and (contrary to what I imagined) I could really sit back on it and draw around on it much more!
Lyle
I didn't realize there WAS anything GOOD about toeloops!!! :twisted:

My problem has been bending my leg before I pick in; so the "fix" (or punishment depending on your point of view) has been to approach it with lots of speed. My coach has a very interesting way of doing things that scare the he!! out of me!!!8O (and yes, I do them!)

b viswanathan
03-21-2007, 10:30 PM
Working hard:
Lutz-toeloop-loop and loop-loop combo: getting stronger. Need to relax and not overpick the lutz, which helps maintain even speed between jumps.

Back XOs: sitting deeper, getting smoother without losing speed. Left over right (weak side) slowly getting stronger. Need to work on keeping body weight over skating leg. Need to work on stamina/leg strength (gym).

Camel-attitude: stronger, mostly. Need to dig into LFO entrance. Need to arch and look left - coach says it should engage whole back. Ow!

Hardly working:
Layback: cannot find sweet spot. Can't get hips forward. Feel dorky.

Axel: can get around 1x, but not more. Pike in the air out of fear; can't pull in arms tightly. Need crash pads/gear (fat doesn't seem to help cushion enough, sadly).

Back 3 patterns: seriously lame. RBO 3-turn is skiddy, scary, sketchy. Can only practice 15 mins. when public session starts. Must practice then - but ice is so clean, I want to jump instead. No self-discipline.

Ice time: some extremely rude homeschoolers have discovered our lovely public session. The kids are just defiant and drive the nice (older) skate guard up the wall. We need a tougher monitor. Very disappointing - and dangerous. Manager is really nice, so perhaps he'll intervene soon...

Sessy
03-22-2007, 06:46 AM
Hardly working: Reply@Team Arthritis: No wonder then my toeloop isn't working (well, it is working, just not as the second jump in any combination). I'm trying to do the other-leg version of the flip. BTW, I got told to get off the ice for the first time in my life by our group lessons coach! 8O I was discussing our competition programmes with 2 other girls, but on ice. Our coach also yelled at a girl who was taking a rest at the boarding though, so I'm guessing she just wasn't in a good mood. Though she's right, ice is too expensive to waste. Still. 8O

Working hard: My flip is officially back & better than he was before the anckle injury. Didn't try any lutzes in the past few weeks, I don't think I'll be working on them this season anymore, I'll be practicing for the test and the competition and I don't need the lutz for either of them. Besides we have so little space on the ice now and the only time I could practice it is during the free half hour in which everybody practices their programme with mp3 players on, so it's plain dangerous to practice the lutz in the middle of all that chaos.
Also, I GET TO TEST! You needed to score 12 points out of possible 14 on "slangenboog" (changing of edges at speed on 1 leg), waltz, toeloop, salchow, falling leaf, crossrolls and 1-foot spin. I had one of the worst lessons ever (slipped on the changing of edges and barely kept the landing edge on the salchow and toeloop, I think my skate wasn't on properly) but I had 12 points so I get to test!

Team Arthritis
03-22-2007, 08:01 AM
I'm trying to do the other-leg version of the flip. BTW, I got told to get off the ice for the first time in my life by our group lessons coach! 8O I was discussing our competition programmes

yeh I was doing that too because I just couldn't see how I could draw the free leg around on the ice if I wasn't picking across behind myself. Turns out that once again coach was right - pick a little to the side seems to give the free skate a more steady path to get into follow so you can get that swooping arc set up.

Oh and congratulations - getting thrown off the ice means coach is taking your skating seriously!

I didn't realize there WAS anything GOOD about toeloops!!! :twisted:

My problem has been bending my leg before I pick in; so the "fix" (or punishment depending on your point of view) has been to approach it with lots of speed. My coach has a very interesting way of doing things that scare the he!! out of me!!!8O (and yes, I do them!)
LOL coach once asked me why I put on extra pads for our lesson. I just raised one eyebrow and she blushed:twisted:

But what's wrong with bending the free leg a little before you pick? My coach has this TLoop warmup where you do 1/2 rev LBI pivot, the switch into RBO pivot, sit on the L pick and then jump! Boy I find that one tough but helps me commit my weight to the picking foot.
Lyle

Emberchyld
03-22-2007, 12:00 PM
Hardly Working:
My hips.

I decided to try a freestyle session this morning, and ended up quiting early after doing barely anything thanks to too much pain from my hip and glute.

I kind-of knew that it wasn't going to be a good skate from the fact that I felt off-balance even before I got onto the ice!

Couldn't even do a mohawk without feeling a twinge, and my balance was completely crud so even stroking was too toepicky (on my injured hip leg) or waaaaay to far back on the blade (on my glute side). I'm hoping those were the culprits!

So i stuck to 3-turns and crossovers and basically getting in everyone's way...

But:

Working Hard: It still felt nice to be back out onto the ice. And, since I forgot my work clothes, it was good that I left early-- because I lost an hour this morning driving home and changing!:frus:

b viswanathan
03-22-2007, 02:02 PM
"Slangenboog"!! I love it! I am never ever going to call them "edge pulls" again. Thanks, Sessy!

(See Sessy's post @ 7:46 a.m. to see the context...)

phoenix
03-22-2007, 02:33 PM
It sounds like fun, but I would have to be really on to do them one beat each! That's Paso Doble timing. Are there any dances skated at less than 100 beats per minute?

Blues is 88, which would make Rhythm Blues about the same. Foxtrot & 10-Fox are around 100. Swing Dance might be slow-ish too.

As for me....
Working Hard: Waltz for AN is coming along very nicely, I'm loving having such a completely different thing to work on. I've been doing every bracket/3/bracket exercise I can dream up to try & help get through that section of the footwork. The rest has improved though & I'm starting to get a *little* more speed through it all. And look up! And not be on my toe picks all the time! And do *something* with my arms! And....and....and...

One thing I've really gleaned from watching all the adult sectionals videos is what a huge difference it makes if you just *extend* your free leg all the time! A bent free leg makes you look very tentative. So I've been really focusing on that everywhere, not just the easy places.

Hardly Working: Found out my part time job is likely going to vanish in a few months. The biggest thing about that is it leaves me without health insurance, so I'm going to have to scramble to see what I can come up with. Meanwhile, need to start conserving money, so will have to drop to one 1/2 hour lesson a week, boo hoo! I hope I can at least keep that!

Sessy
03-22-2007, 03:38 PM
WOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!

Okay let me clarify why I'm so hyper. I had a dream last night, that the ice rink in Breda (a neighbouring town, 45 minutes by public transportation from where I live - I've got a free travel card for public transport because I'm a student) decided to stay open for the summer. Now, a few weeks ago I had a dream in which I got out of Europe on summer holiday but couldn't seem to find my passport to get back into Europe and it turned out my passport was only valid through july 14th while we were planning on going away for the entire month of july. So I decided - what if this dream is true too? And I checked the website.

THEY'RE STAYING OPEN! Well not for the entire summer, but till april 14th. And considering I have to test on april 13th and compete that day too, it really helps if I can train someplace more than once a week like currently.

WOW!

I mean it did grow busyer at the rinks with this whole ice dancing with the stars and stars dancing on ice figure skating shows, but these are the first visible effects! Both our rinks added over a month to their usual opening times.

This is just FABULOUS! Whee! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

dbny
03-22-2007, 04:46 PM
Working Hard:
I tried Mrs Redboots' accelerating cross roll exercise today, and found that much to my surprise, the more difficult ones are the longer ones! I was able to do it, and really enjoyed it. I am getting across the rink doing the alternating FO threes on the line! I'm getting two in a row of the FI threes on the line! Skiing seems to be the magic I needed for the F power pulls. If I just stop and remember skiing downhill with short, quick, rhythmic turns, the F pulls feel pretty good! Got a couple of decent 1 foot spins from T push, and more from pivot. The discussion of cheating on the back spin has me wanting to do them, so I tried today, by the wall, just to see where I should be balancing on the blade. Not sure if I'm ready to ask coach to start me on them yet. I'm having fun with consecutive FI/BO Mohawks in a circle. Turn, step, turn, step, etc. Now if I could just do an entire hockey circle of them without getting dizzy, it might look like something.

Hardly Working:
That darned little flip of the blade before pushing forward in the alternating FO threes :x! It really does make a difference in being prepared for the next turn, and it is giving me fits. I really hate having to deal with this in my lesson, but that's what I'm going to be doing tomorrow.

jazzpants
03-22-2007, 05:11 PM
Working hard:

Loops are there, well under certain circumstances.
Flip was there too... under certain circumstances too. (Yes, my secondary coach knows what those circumstances are too!)Hardly Working:

Too bad for me, primary coach wants me to go OUTSIDE of the bounds of those circumstances!!! :evil: :frus: Loops I did get them landed. But flips... :roll: I could land them before and RIGHT AFTER my lesson... but NOT DURING!!! GRRRR!!!! :x

REALLY WORKIN' IT!!!

Primary coach is playing "I wonder if she can..." today with what looks like it's gonna be my straightline footwork. Oy vei! There were some that will take some practice to finally get the flow down and there some where I just can't do them well at all but that's just enough excuse for primary coach to say "It's not that bad! Let's put it in there! Just practice it this week!!!" :lol:
Primary coach wanted me to demonstrate that I can land and glide on a RBO edge after a jump with flow by doing waltz 3's. Needless to say, I thought he meant right after the loop landing. But the good part is... he thought it was a good idea to put it right there into my program b/c it had a lot of flow and it's not just straight forward stroking to my footwork (plus the Gold guy saw it and said "Oooooh, I LOVE IT!!! Leave it in there!!!" :P )
Primary coach's comment when he had me do forward stroking was "What went on in your head that made you skate faster AFTER passing your Bronze Moves test or even your Bronze FS test! Did you have an EPIPHANY!?!?!" :twisted: (Ummm... you ever tried having your secondary coach yellin' at you to "HAUL @$$?!?!?!" It's now SCREAMING in my head now!!! 8O :twisted: )

tidesong
03-22-2007, 10:31 PM
Working hard:
Yesterday I had a great time just going around the rink at high speeds when no one was around and launching into my jumps incl axel and double salchow... that was soooo fun (even if double salchow was around 50%.... but heh better than 10% and my falls weren't the completely out of control kind, it felt great overall)

Hardly working:
I didn't feel like going through my program because its so packed with things I dont have a chance to telegraph my jump entries haha

Also, I'm still sick.....

p.s. any tips for flying sit spin? I don't know how I manage to crank out one or two really nice ones every lesson but never seen to be able to do them well after that.

doubletoe
03-22-2007, 10:44 PM
You needed to score 12 points out of possible 14 on "slangenboog" (changing of edges at speed on 1 leg), [/B]

"slangenboog" are "power pulls" but I think I like your Dutch word better! It's fun! :D

jazzpants
03-23-2007, 12:53 AM
"slangenboog" Tee hee hee... LOVE that word! Rolls off the tougue better!!! :lol: (Too bad my "slangenboog" doesn't roll as well... :roll: )

Good luck on your test, Sessy!!!

Ice Dancer
03-23-2007, 02:43 AM
Working Hard

The new manager at the rink is maintaining the ice really well and it is now a pleasure to skate on rather than a bumpy mess.

Finally managed some crossovers unaided. Still close to the barrier, but considering I have only been working on them for about 6 sessions this is a real breakthrough for me. After my lesson yesterday, I actually felt like I was playing on the ice and it felt so good.

Going to have a video session with my private coach soon, at her suggestion, to look at elements which I am really looking forward to.

Hardly Working

Really not getting on with my new group coach and considering not going back to lessons. I won't lose any money, provided I still go along and practise, and I think this may be the way forward. I am sick of dreading the lessons and feeling sick before they start.

My backwards is way better than forwards, for some stupid reason. So much so, that my private coach said we might have to do a programme entirely going backwards! However I am going to keep going, and if I have many more sessions like yesterdays, there soon won't be that large difference.

Sessy
03-23-2007, 07:50 AM
"slangenboog" are "power pulls" but I think I like your Dutch word better! It's fun! :D

It means snake curve, cuz if you do it right it looks like the marks a snake leaves in the sand.

Oh btw swizzles or whatever is called "eieren leggen" - laying eggs OR visjes - fishies... Cuz your bum looks like that of a chicken doing it and you leave fish-shaped marks on the ice (in Russian, they're called fonariki - lanterns). And a waltz jump is a cadet, a toe-loop is a cherryflip (like your very very very first "flip") or a spot as some call it, a loop is a riet (reed.. lol! named after mr. Rittberger who invented the thing), a spin is a pirouette, a spiral is a zweefstand (floating pose), a shoot the duck is a "zitje" (seat), a lunge is a sleepje (draw), a falling leaf is a "spreid-rittberger" (spread loop), a half loop is an euler (no idea where that came from, pronounce: oi-lehr) and short changes of edge (powerpulls?) are called kantenwissels (changing of edges! :))

A layback spin is a himmelpirouette (sky spin), a camel spin is a zweefpirouette (floating spin), a scratch spin is a standpirouette (standing spin), a sitspin is a zitpirouette (sit spin hahah :))

Oh yeah and riding on 1 foot lifting the other to your knee is an ooievaar, named after a type of bird that stands around like that often when fishing for frogs. And crossovers are overstappen - stepping over. Which is strange, cuz you're not supposed to be stepping.

BTW, in America everybody asks if you can do the axel right? In Russia everybody asks about the double toeloop for some reason.

jskater49
03-23-2007, 08:34 AM
Working Hard - First time back on the ice since my competition last Saturday and I kept my word and started working on my Bronze moves.

Forward Perimeter crossovers - I actually took this test more just for giggles about 4 years ago and passed over on these. I just needed to be reminded to hold my crossovers to finish the edge so I start the inside edge on a new lobe. And straighten up my shoulders!

Backward Perimeter crossovers - I'm actually putting my foot down on the inside edge! I've struggled with my tendency to start on an outside and switch over, a definite no-no. Coach wants to see more power, but I was dodging free skaters which slowed me down, pretty sure I'm capable of more power.

crossover back edges - I used to hook these but coach saw no signs of that today.

Yea easy start on the moves, did all the stuff I'm already pretty good at - wait till we get to the 3 turns and mohawks!:o

Hardly Working

SHowed my coach my fake step behind version of the cha cha and she looked like she wanted to crawl under a rock "You didn't put my name on anything for that did you?" But she did like the personality I put into it!

j

Rusty Blades
03-23-2007, 08:45 AM
Hardly Working: Did my first ever competition yesterday, the Canadian Adult Championships, and finished 4th in "Pre-Introductory Women's Interpretive". Also passed my Pre-Intro test. Considering I have only been skating 14 months, I am pleased.

Working Hard: Nope, not today! Having too much fun at (Canadian) Nationals:mrgreen:

flo
03-23-2007, 09:04 AM
Working? I went to the preview of Blades last night - Dorothy Hamill invited a bunch to the Baltimore preview. It was great to be there with a theater full of skaters and see people I haven't seen in quite a while. It was a hoot! The costumes were great and the "skaters" were lots of fun - complete with a psychopairs.

dbny
03-23-2007, 05:19 PM
Working Hard:
I am so psyched! I worked hard all week, skating three two hour sessions and focussing like I haven't in at least a year and a half. In my lesson today, the Prelim power threes finally came together on both feet. I actually did them so well that my coach had no real comments except that I should be careful not to let the three turns get swingy. I'm hoping that in a few more weeks the threes will feel good enough for me to start allowing some speed and power into the move. We worked a bit on the flip of the blade when pushing into the next three in the alternating FO threes, and I am making some progress with it, but the best thing was that I'm able to do all the threes (compare that to no LFO threes possible just a few weeks ago). We also worked on my one foot spin from a T push, and I did one good one in the lesson and got a new exercise to help. Finally, I started working on a backspin today :D. I love my coach's approach, which is to do something of a B pivot into a two foot spin, then pick up one foot when I'm stable. We talked about the edge flipping problem that's so common, since that's what made me want to tackle the backspin, and she had me spin on the Fi edge, which I hadn't thought I could do. I must say that I felt the difference immediately. Maybe I just have very sensitive feet.

Hardly Working:
Nada :D :D :D

doubletoe
03-23-2007, 05:39 PM
Hardly Working: Did my first ever competition yesterday, the Canadian Adult Championships, and finished 4th in "Pre-Introductory Women's Interpretive". Also passed my Pre-Intro test. Considering I have only been skating 14 months, I am pleased.

Working Hard: Nope, not today! Having too much fun at (Canadian) Nationals:mrgreen:

CONGRATULATIONS!! :bow: I suppose you could say you've had a "baptism of ice?" :lol:

doubletoe
03-23-2007, 05:40 PM
It means snake curve, cuz if you do it right it looks like the marks a snake leaves in the sand.

short changes of edge (powerpulls?) are called kantenwissels (changing of edges! :))

So what's the difference between the slangenboog and the kantenwissels? :roll:

b viswanathan
03-23-2007, 06:09 PM
with the kantenwissels if you can't do 'em, you just whistle...

groan

Scarlett
03-23-2007, 08:59 PM
Working Hard:

Went to a freestyle session tonight and managed to actually complete my program on time with the music. The loop was cheated but was on one foot, and I hit all the "important" elements..my coach has a second 1/2 flip in their that I kind of just ignored.
Backspins were on today.
Hickory hoedown was actually on pattern if not on time.

Hardly working:
The willow waltz is going to be the death of me.
How can I possibly be this abysmal of a spinner. I'm actually thinking of driving up to Jersey and seeing the spin doctor.

dbny
03-23-2007, 09:59 PM

CONGRATULATIONS on both competing and on passing the test!

Isk8NYC
03-23-2007, 09:59 PM
with the kantenwissels if you can't do 'em, you just whistle...

groan:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
Wonderful comeback!

Rusty Blades
03-24-2007, 12:12 AM
CONGRATULATIONS!! :bow: I suppose you could say you've had a "baptism of ice?" :lol:

Yes, it's true, I am no longer a competitive virgin! 8O

jskater49
03-24-2007, 11:07 AM
Working VERY HARD

I skated a session with a half hour freestyle lesson, then had my Artistry in Motion LTS class, then taught Basic 3!!!!

Oh I wish I wish I could afford a regular half hour lesson every week. I bought someone's missed lesson today. First I learned how to grab my skate on the boards. Coach thinks half the challenge is knowing how to find your skate for a catch foot spiral.

Next worked on the entry for the scratch spin...she had me work on holding the edge and then when I got that right she pushed my hip so I could feel what it was like and boy did I spin with that push. She also showed me how to do it on the boards so I could push myself.

On to the salchow. This jump confuses me so much, but when she drew it on the ice for me, it made more sense. She promised me that she would draw it for me during the session anytime - she always has a marker in her pocket.

And then there was even time for the toe loop - since I like to do LO 3 turn rather than RI 3 turn, she taught me that entry. We mostly worked on getting used to drawing back my foot in front of my left foot - again against the boards.

Now if I could just remember everything.

But there's more...

During LTS warm up we were talking and I mentioned "You know I never could do a hockey stop" and she tells me "Okay imagine you have your groceries in one arm, a screaming kid in the other and you use your hip to slam the car door shut." Would you believe I did a perfect hockey stop with those instructions?

Have I mentioned I just love my AIM class? Worked a little on doing a headless (two foot for now) spin, reviewed the rules for the second mark in a program..tried some different arm positions with lunges and did a jump sequence with my half lutz and mazurkas.

Hardly working - nope it was all work today!

tidesong
03-24-2007, 12:34 PM
Working hard:
Had a great ice time today. Program run through still not perfect, but honestly way better than anything I've done before. Coach wants more though, so I'm definetly going to aim for that. Its all in the mind now :halo: (And I really have to try and get those three seconds on my spirals ...)

Sessy
03-24-2007, 02:06 PM
So what's the difference between the slangenboog and the kantenwissels? :roll:

Slangenboog are really long changes of edge, first you take a short sprint coming on the long side of the rink, then you turn 90 degrees to your right and on the short side of an olympic change rink, you do one outside edge and one inside edge on the right foot (without extra push), change feet (here it's important to add an extra push or else you're not going to have enough speed) and one outside edge and one inside edge on the left foot and then you have just enough room for one extra outside edge on the right foot to get off the line you've been skating and make room for others.

Kantenwissels are short, powerful changes of edge where, if you work the edge right, you don't actually loose speed and don't need additional pushes inbetween.

That's why I'm reluctant to call the slangenboog power pulls, because I think your powerpulls are probably our kantenwissels...

Sessy
03-24-2007, 02:08 PM
Working hard:
Had a great ice time today. Program run through still not perfect, but honestly way better than anything I've done before. Coach wants more though, so I'm definetly going to aim for that. Its all in the mind now :halo: (And I really have to try and get those three seconds on my spirals ...)

Helps to point the toes in the shoe a little up to get the weight on the ball of your foot and also to relax you. I always panicked on the spirals, tensed my toes, dug them into the skate as if holding on not to fall and this kept my muscles so tense that I couldn't re-adjust my balance quickly if I lost it.

Isk8NYC
03-24-2007, 06:53 PM
Working Hard:
I actually put together a footwork sequence today that was decent and discovered one of my students doesn't know how to do a FI bracket. Not sure if she's doing the FO ones right, either. She was taught to do them with the "quick-quick" doubles and she can't do them standalone.

I choreographed three-and-a-half programs. My head hurts from all the students complaining. "No, no, let's do ..." I wanted to yell "Shaddap!" LOL

Practiced loop jumps - yay! They're really babyish with the RFI3 entrance, but they're clean and they flow.

Hardly Working:
Practiced my Pre-Bronze and Prel MITF - yuck.
Managed to do the threes on the line without touching down, though.

Spins were dicey - I know it's not checking the arms/shoulders properly.

Waltz jumps and toe loops were good by themselves.
Together, they're ugly. LOL

phoenix
03-24-2007, 10:15 PM
Working Hard: Worked my butt off yesterday & today! Program is going well, and today for the first time I got through my footwork section without grinding to a complete stop after the bracket/3/brackets. *Almost* a complete stop, but not quite---just barely enough momentum left to continue on without an ugly toe tap push. Still probably doesn't look great, but I was thrilled--it's progress! I did it 3 times too, so I know it wasn't just a lucky fluke.

My legs were tired today & felt heavy, and at first I was very unmotivated to work very hard......but as I warmed up I noticed I was so soft/deep into my knees & so balanced today (several planets must have aligned.....), the ice felt like velvet! It was one of those magical times when you feel so connected to the ice. Lovely, lovely.

Hardly Working: well, I had been feeling really down this morning re. the whole job/earning a living fiasco that is my life, but I felt much better after my practice---I love that about skating!