View Full Version : Field Moves

chantelly
03-19-2007, 06:57 AM
Hello! Quick question I have done (UK test structure) Prelim field Moves (free skating, yes I know donkeys years ago! :lol: ) and novice dance moves. What number moves will I now have to take next? Any one know? Thanks xx

kateskate
03-19-2007, 07:19 AM
Novice dance moves? Do you mean level 1 dance moves (FO edges and crossrolls)?

If so prelim is the higher test (Level 1 dance moves would have given you level 1 in the new system only) and would credit you with level 2 in the new system. So your next test would be level 3.

Anyone correct me if I'm wrong but I'm sure that is correct.

NickiT
03-19-2007, 08:11 AM
You are correct Katekskate. My daughter passed her prelim field moves and has vaguely started work on the new level 3 ones...which are evil I might add!

Nicki

Mrs Redboots
03-19-2007, 08:59 AM
The old Novice Dance Moves credited you with Level 2 when they changed the system so that we had numbered dance moves.

I think you would have to test level 3, but will just check, as a friend of ours who failed his inter-Bronze is now working on his level 3, and I'm surprised, because I thought he would be level 4. Hold on....

Yes, it is level 3 - Prelim Field Moves and Level 2 Dance Moves are both credited with Level 2 Skating moves, and although, had my friend passed his inter-Bronze, he would have been credited with Level 4, as he didn't, he has to take level 3.

Which seems a bit mere to me, but there you are.....

chantelly
03-19-2007, 09:31 AM
Novice dance moves? Do you mean level 1 dance moves (FO edges and crossrolls)?

No! I'm showing my age I took novice dance moves in 2000! :o Just got an email from NISA it is level 3 next yuck! xx

Mrs Redboots
03-19-2007, 11:56 AM
No! I'm showing my age I took novice dance moves in 2000! :o Just got an email from NISA it is level 3 next yuck! xxI took the original Novice Dance test in 1998! Prelim Foxtrot and Dutch Waltz - and they credited me with Level 3, what were they thinking? No way in the universe was I a Level 3 skater back then!

BatikatII
03-19-2007, 07:37 PM
No! I'm showing my age I took novice dance moves in 2000! :o Just got an email from NISA it is level 3 next yuck! xx

Good luck with those evil level 3 exercises.

I was lucky in that I managed to pass interbronze just on the deadline (worked my butt off for 3 weeks and nearly killed my feet in the process but worth it to save ever having to do the new level 3 and 4). My friend was not so lucky and is in the miserable position of being marked as a 'retry' on the interbronze (level 4 equivalent) but since she doesnt' have level 3 moves, as they didn't exist before, she has to do those as well to end up at the same place which really doesn't seem fair. There are some weird exercises and I'm not sure I could pass new levels 3 and 4 (particularly the level 4 extended back pushes with the back double 3's casually thrown in at each end8O 8O 8O )

TashaKat
03-20-2007, 02:38 AM
Urgh, it's got even more confusing than when I was skating 8O

So .... I had the full Prelim (Elements, Field Moves and Free) so what level would I be doing now?

I had Bronze Dance (old stylee) so where would I be for that?

Oh, and do you have to do Dance Moves AND Field Moves now?

Ta x

chantelly
03-20-2007, 02:39 AM
Ooh what are in level 3 then?! :o

Tiggerwoos
03-20-2007, 03:11 AM
NISA don't seem to know what I am (did Novice 1 and Novice 2 in 1994ish in free skating) and my records were there the other day and the database has lost them now.

Any ideas folks?

BatikatII
03-20-2007, 03:37 AM
Urgh, it's got even more confusing than when I was skating 8O

So .... I had the full Prelim (Elements, Field Moves and Free) so what level would I be doing now?

I had Bronze Dance (old stylee) so where would I be for that?

Oh, and do you have to do Dance Moves AND Field Moves now?

Ta x

last question first.
There is now only one Moves testing stream which both dancers and free skaters have to do. Instead of the dancers doing 2 moves each but twice as many levels while free skaters did 6 moves per level but fewer levels, now all skaters do 4 moves per level of 'skating moves'. So everybody does the same.

For the past 2 years or so there have been equivalencies between Field moves and dance moves. This is why I was able to do interbronze field moves when I have never done any other field moves because I had level 2 dance moves (which gave me prelim field moves equivalent). Rather glad I never bothered with the level 3 dance moves now as I have padi for one less test!:lol:

Full prelim credits you with level 2 under the new system for all parts so you would have to do all the level 3 stuff now.

Bronze dance is I think level 6. But if you never did the associated dance moves you will still be working on level 3 for the moves.

will try adn find the equivlencies list to post.

chantelly
03-20-2007, 04:45 AM
NISA don't seem to know what I am (did Novice 1 and Novice 2 in 1994ish in free skating) and my records were there the other day and the database has lost them now.

Any ideas folks?

I sent in photocopies of my certificates and they took that as proof about a year ago as I had been off skating for 5 years having children. They also e mailed me and told me what each test I needed to do next was because I was completely confused (nothing new there!) give them a ring and see what they suggest. xx

Mrs Redboots
03-20-2007, 07:31 AM
Ooh what are in level 3 then?! :o

Exercise 1: Changes of edge (same as in old Level 2 Dance moves). From a moving start you push on to a LFO edge, changing to LFI, then run (or crossover, I suppose, for a free skater), RFO-I, run, and repeat. Then on the second half of the rink, you start on an LFI edge and change to LFO, run, RFI-O, run and repeat. Focus is on edge quality.

Exercise 2: Evil 3-turn exercise. From a standing start, you push into a LFO3, holding the exit edge until you return to the centre line, whereupon you push into a RBI3, again, holding the exit edge. You repeat this at least once and possibly twice until you hit the red line at the centre of the rink, whereupon you change feet, and do RFO3-LBI3. Then on the other side you do LFI3-RBO3 until the centre line, change feet again, and do RFI3-LBO3 down to the end.

Apparently you must have your free foot at the skating heel during the forwards turns, and held in front during the backwards turns. Focus, again, is on edge quality.

Exercise 3: Extended inside edges. From a moving start (crossovers or runs) you push on to a LFI edge which you hold until the centre line is reached, one run or crossover, then push on to a RFI edge, which you hold until the end of the rink. Run round the end and repeat 3 times (2 circuits of the rink in all). The free leg must be extended at all times. Focus is power and edge quality.

Exercise 4: Evil spiral exercise: From (I think) a moving start, push into a LFI spiral, hold for a full semi-circle, rise up and toe-tap with your R foot to push into a LFO spiral, which you also hold for a full semi-circle. Change feet at the centre line and repeat on the right foot (or do you do RFO spiral first, then RFI? Not sure; will have to check the book). Then coming back down the rink, I'm not sure whether you do the outside spiral first and then the inside ones, or whether you repeat the exercise. In any event, the free leg has to be at least at parallel to the ice, with the free foot turned out. Very deep sigh.....

Any ideas folks?Almost sure you'd be credited with Level 2 Elements and Free, but don't quote me - check with NISA.

chantelly
03-20-2007, 07:37 AM
[B] Exercise 4: Evil spiral exercise: From (I think) a moving start, push into a LFI spiral, hold for a full semi-circle, rise up and toe-tap with your R foot to push into a LFO spiral, which you also hold for a full semi-circle. Change feet at the centre line and repeat on the right foot (or do you do RFO spiral first, then RFI? Not sure; will have to check the book). Then coming back down the rink, I'm not sure whether you do the outside spiral first and then the inside ones, or whether you repeat the exercise. In any event, the free leg has to be at least at parallel to the ice, with the free foot turned out. Very deep sigh.....

Oh no! I'm no good at all on my left foot! Mind you I suppose I'll have to practice before I give in! :lol: Spirals can be tricky things though especially when you are shaking like a leaf in test conditions!

kateskate
03-20-2007, 08:10 AM
If anyone is interested I have all the new field moves tests written out somewhere. I'm a bit geeky like that. (Although sounds like Mrs Redboots has the same idea as me!)

chantelly
03-20-2007, 10:47 AM
If anyone is interested I have all the new field moves tests written out somewhere. I'm a bit geeky like that. (Although sounds like Mrs Redboots has the same idea as me!)

Yes please! xx

cathrl
03-20-2007, 11:07 AM
Cath looks at list.

Cath whimpers quietly into her cup of coffee.

Cath decides that maybe passing the passport isn't such a big priority any more.

(sniff) Anyone have the list for levels 1 and 2? I'm depressed that level 3 looks that hard. I can't do LBO 3-turns at all.

Isk8NYC
03-20-2007, 11:11 AM
Anyone have the list for levels 1 and 2? I'm depressed that level 3 looks that hard. I can't do LBO 3-turns at all.That's why they're 'evil' - I like the titling, Mrs R! You may be scaring people away, though. LOL

Mrs Redboots
03-20-2007, 11:17 AM
Well, I think they're evil! I can do exercises 1 and 3 to passing standard, but haven't a hope of passing 2 or 4 in the foreseeable future. Still have fun playing with them, though.

At least people learn inside 3-turns in SkateUK these days - I am still struggling with them, never mind backwards ones.

Not sure what's in levels 1 and 2; I think one has figure 8s of both forward and backward crossovers, and forward inside and outside edges, and I think a spiral exercise done on flats (presumably the same as in the old Novice Field Moves) but I don't know what else, and I know that on level 2 there are back inside swing rolls, which are rather fun (memo to self: practice these!), but that's all that I can remember.

jenlyon60
03-20-2007, 11:27 AM
Exercise 3 is almost like my ex/long distant coach's Evil 3-progressive exercise he used to make me do.

kateskate
03-20-2007, 11:45 AM
Level 1
Perimeter FO and FI edges
BO landing edges
Perimeter forward spirals (L&R)
Forward and backward crossovers in a figure of 8

Level 2
Perimeter BO and BI edges
Perimeter forward and backward crossrolls
FO and FI threes turns in a circle
Perimeter FI open mohawks

Tiggerwoos
03-20-2007, 02:09 PM
Almost sure you'd be credited with Level 2 Elements and Free, but don't quote me - check with NISA.

Thanks, for that info........ was hoping that was the case, as my coach wants to know what we need to do for a programme etc.

Still trying to get NISA to confirm, but at the moment no one seems to know there either!

cathrl
03-20-2007, 04:10 PM
Thanks, kateskate - that level 1 looks ever so like the old novice field moves test my daughter did, and I always fancied taking a crack at it. Didn't finish the passport in time, though :( Maybe I can try this one. I guess technically I could do it on a passed dance passport (it's the figure one I can't do) since it's now just the one set of moves tests for both.

BatikatII
03-20-2007, 07:56 PM
I guess technically I could do it on a passed dance passport (it's the figure one I can't do) since it's now just the one set of moves tests for both.

You certainly should be able to since the moves are now the same for both disciplines. And I already used dance moves 1 and 2 to set me up for interbronze field moves so it seems NISA don't see any problem switching from one to the other.

chantelly
04-04-2007, 09:50 AM
Hiya, I don't suppose any one knows if I can get a video of these yet? Or anyone has one of them doing them at all? I cannot get my head round the evil 3 turn ones! The others are coming slowly! 8O Thanks for all the info. xx

NickiT
04-04-2007, 12:48 PM
Hiya, I don't suppose any one knows if I can get a video of these yet? Or anyone has one of them doing them at all? I cannot get my head round the evil 3 turn ones! The others are coming slowly! 8O Thanks for all the info. xx

There is a video or rather DVD of these new field moves. Batikat had one so I know that one exists. I've yet to see it though!

Nicki

Tiggerwoos
04-04-2007, 01:47 PM
That would be great........ wonder who does them. I know the US does.

If NISA sold them it would be handy to stick them on their shop site.