View Full Version : Why does this always happen?

sue123
03-18-2007, 09:33 PM
Every time I get a day off and think, yes I can go to a daytime public session, I wind up getting sick. I haven't had a day off since the end of January, so I've had to be content with a few early mornings or evening sessions, with the occasional weekend. But I don't have to work tomorrow since it's a half day and they don't pay subs for half days. I had my whole day planned. Get up, go to the travel agent, go ice skating, buy new Rollerblades, and then a show in the evening. And now, I'm feeling the beginnings of a cold. I have that tickle in my throat, the sinus pressure, and cloudy head that usually accompanies my colds. Last time I had a day off, same thing. I wound up getting sick. It's almost as if my body does not want me to enjoy 3 hours of empty ice. :frus: :frus: :frus:

dbny
03-18-2007, 09:56 PM
it's a half day .....It's almost as if my body does not want me to enjoy 3 hours of empty ice. :frus: :frus: :frus:

Don't worry, you won't be missing 3 hours of empty ice. Since it's a half day, many of those kids will flock to the rinks, thereby ruining my beautiful empty Monday afternoon public session :x. Thanks for the heads up.

Sessy
03-19-2007, 04:51 AM
Actually my experience is that it's best to go and skate when you have a cold, it just magically makes the cold go away.
Not to be tried for flu though (the real kind, not what everybody calls "a flu") or while you have a high fever. Low-fever is still okay.

sue123
03-19-2007, 10:20 AM
I decided when I went to bed last night, if it wasn't too bad, I would go. I woke up, I had a fever of 103 F (don't know what that is in Celsius). I've been hot and cold all day, sometimes even at the same time. I have a headache, sore ribs for some odd reason since i haven't been coughing, sore throat, basically I'm a mess right now.

And I don't think it would be too crowded because it's supposed to have only been a half day for District 75, which is the special ed district. Oh well, maybe I'll milk this cold or flu or whatever it is and take a couple days off. When I'm cured, I'll also take off saying I'm still sick and go skating instead. I could do that, can't I? I'm just a sub, I don't owe them anything.

herniated
03-19-2007, 10:35 AM
I decided when I went to bed last night, if it wasn't too bad, I would go. I woke up, I had a fever of 103 F (don't know what that is in Celsius). I've been hot and cold all day, sometimes even at the same time. I have a headache, sore ribs for some odd reason since i haven't been coughing, sore throat, basically I'm a mess right now.

And I don't think it would be too crowded because it's supposed to have only been a half day for District 75, which is the special ed district. Oh well, maybe I'll milk this cold or flu or whatever it is and take a couple days off. When I'm cured, I'll also take off saying I'm still sick and go skating instead. I could do that, can't I? I'm just a sub, I don't owe them anything.

You can definitely do that!! I would. Hope you feel better!!

kayskate
03-20-2007, 08:19 AM
When I'm cured, I'll also take off saying I'm still sick and go skating instead. I could do that, can't I? I'm just a sub, I don't owe them anything.

It's called a mental health day. I work in education too. We really need them once in a while.

Kay

sue123
03-20-2007, 09:25 AM
I went to the doctor last night, she thinks I might have the beginning stages of pneumonia :frus: How I got this, I don't know. I started antibiotics last night, and I was told to stay home for a while, so it looks like I won't be going to work or skating anytime soon :giveup:

Team Arthritis
03-20-2007, 09:47 AM
Glad you went and got checked out, fever of 103 is nothing to trifle with! See! it takes more than a simple cold to keep you off the ice8O
Lyle

dbny
03-20-2007, 10:21 AM
I went to the doctor last night, she thinks I might have the beginning stages of pneumonia :frus: How I got this, I don't know. I started antibiotics last night, and I was told to stay home for a while, so it looks like I won't be going to work or skating anytime soon :giveup:

Does she have reason to believe that your infection is bacterial? If not, then you are doing yourself and the rest of us a big disservice by taking antibiotics, which have no effect at all against viruses. Every time you take an antibiotic, you raise the chances that you will become allergic to it, thereby ruling out it's future use. You also raise the chances of producing resistant bacteria. Most pneumonia is viral, and mycobacterial pneumonia (AKA walking pneumo) is not really "cured" by antibiotics, though the duration can be shortened. Sorry, but overprescription of antibiotics is a big pet peeve of mine. In any case, hope you feel better soon.

Team Arthritis
03-20-2007, 10:31 AM
Sorry, but overprescription of antibiotics is a big pet peeve of mine. In any case, hope you feel better soon.

Yeh, mine too! Still if temp is 103 its eather bacterial or influenza, and its a little late for flu (except here in Charleston SC, statisticly the latest major city in the US with a flu season every year, yoohoo!)

Lyle

BatikatII
03-20-2007, 10:47 AM
. Sorry, but overprescription of antibiotics is a big pet peeve of mine. In any case, hope you feel better soon.

Mine too and since my kids would not take medicine anyway they almost never had antibiotics as kids and ended up having fewer illnesses than most of their friends. But on the other hand, when my son and I had flu, it did develop into a very nasty chest infection and my husband had to get the doctor out to us. I did not even have the strength to lift the phone to call in sick to work.

The doctor made my husband come home from work immediately to get our antibiotic prescription straight away and I understood for the first time how easy it would be to die from flu especially for an old person living alone, since by the time I realised this was serious I literally could not have made it to the phone to call a doctor myself.

So I hope your illnesses is less serious and that the doctor has prescribed only what is necessary.:lol:

Get well soon!

sue123
03-20-2007, 10:59 AM
Does she have reason to believe that your infection is bacterial? If not, then you are doing yourself and the rest of us a big disservice by taking antibiotics, which have no effect at all against viruses. Every time you take an antibiotic, you raise the chances that you will become allergic to it, thereby ruling out it's future use. You also raise the chances of producing resistant bacteria. Most pneumonia is viral, and mycobacterial pneumonia (AKA walking pneumo) is not really "cured" by antibiotics, though the duration can be shortened. Sorry, but overprescription of antibiotics is a big pet peeve of mine. In any case, hope you feel better soon.

Honestly, I was so out of it yesterday, I didn't really have a full grasp of what's going on. I hardly ever willingly go to the doctor, usually I go kicking and screaming. I also hate taking pills and will avoid them whenever possible. The only ones I will take regularly are birth control (I need it cause I have PCOS) and Allegra in the spring, otherwise I can't get through the day.

Yesterday, I actually asked my mom to call the doctor for me beacuse I felt so horrible. My doctor is literally across the street from my house, and I had to have her walk across the street with me because I had zero energy. I know the doctor mentioned something about my pulse being high and some sort of raspy sounds from my lungs. From what I remember from my biology classes (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) when it comes on suddenly, it's more likely to be bacterial, especially because I wasn't sick beforehand.

But I know what you mean with the antibiotics. When I was in 4th grade, I was sick with strep throat literally every other week. I would be in school a week, out of school a week because I was infectious. I practically lived on antibiotics that year. Then I got my tonsils removed and never had strep throat again. Not sure exactly what it did to my bacterial resistance, but I'm sure it can't be good.

Petlover
03-20-2007, 11:49 AM
Sue, take very good care of yourself. I have severe asthma, and often start with a virus and get a secondary bacterial infection, which is when my doctor usually gives me the antibiotics - pnuemonia is scary and dangerous, and can happen very fast. I'm sending you lots of happy get well thoughts!

sue123
03-20-2007, 12:33 PM
Thanks for all the wellwishes. I am feeling a bit better, my grandma made me her famous chicken soup. There is nothing better than grandma's soup when you're sick.

jazzpants
03-20-2007, 12:35 PM
Thanks for all the wellwishes. I am feeling a bit better, my grandma made me her famous chicken soup. There is nothing better than grandma's soup when you're sick.Is it the clear chicken brothy type with noodles, veggies, some seasonings and of course, chicken? :yum: (Today is one of those really good days where I would love some homemade chicken soup! It's raining here!!!) :yum:

Isk8NYC
03-20-2007, 12:53 PM
We had Chicken Soup for dinner last night - my MIL's recipe that includes tomatoes.
It's delicious!

Jazz - If you don't want to cook, there's always Boston Market's chicken soup. It's pretty good, although a little salty.

jazzpants
03-20-2007, 01:05 PM
Jazz - If you don't want to cook, there's always Boston Market's chicken soup. It's pretty good, although a little salty.Actually you're not gonna believe this but... we have *supposedly* a Jewish deli (http://www.brothersdelirestaurant.com/) within a 10 minute drive from my workplace. If it stops raining, I might stop by there to get some grub!!! :yum: Boston Market is okay... but yeah, a bit salty for me...

And Sue, take an extra sick day off "just to be safe..." (and go skating then... *nudge nudge* ;) )

sue123
03-20-2007, 01:07 PM
Is it the clear chicken brothy type with noodles, veggies, some seasonings and of course, chicken? :yum: (Today is one of those really good days where I would love some homemade chicken soup! It's raining here!!!) :yum:

It is clear brothy soup, but when she makes it for one of us sick people, she doesn't give us the vegetables in the soup. I don't know how she makes it, she cooks thte vegetables in there and the soup. It's good stuff. Only she didnt' have any noodles so my soup was noodleness. But she did give me some matzoh to use as crackers. I love my grandma, she's the best.

dbny
03-20-2007, 04:11 PM
I love my grandma, she's the best.

Aw, that's so sweet! I'm glad you're feeling better today. For quickie chicken soup I've used Lipton real noodle soup with chicken broth and thrown in a package of frozen mixed veggies. My current favorite chicken soup is from our local Mexican restaurant. It's clear broth with chunks of breast meat, chopped raw tomatoes and a few strips of avocado on top.