View Full Version : Changing rinks...what would you do?

niupartyangel
03-18-2007, 07:57 PM
I'm getting married next year, and my fiance and I will be closing in a condominium in another suburb next month. Now I knew that this town had an ice rink, I just didn't know that it would happen to be ACROSS THE STREET as the condo that we liked the best! It's a very pleasant surprise. All this time as we drive to the rink that I go to now for lessons, and look at the houses nearby. I wonder if they take advantage of that wonderful facility, if their kids skate or play hockey. And how it will be nice to get some practice time in before work. Next year, I could be one of those people (i'm not moving in till after the wedding).

This other rink also has an established skating school, and it has led me to think...should I change rinks as far as lessons go? I already love the rink I go to very much, but it'll be a 15 minute drive versus crossing the street to the new one. I also love my new group lesson coach (we just started a new session this week); and especially my private lesson coach (who taught my pre-freestyle level group lessons all last year). I guess it's still too early to worry about these things since I'm not moving yet, but it just crossed my mind.

Another perk to the new rink though is, according to their website, group lessons are cheaper. My current rink charges $135 for eight group lessons vs. $112 for 12 lessons at the other rink.

Just wondering what you guys' opinions are, if you were in my place....thanks! :)

Scarlett
03-18-2007, 08:17 PM
I am so envious however, if I were in your shoes..I would try the group lessons at the closer rink. I would however continue taking private lessons with the coach at the old rink.

Good luck to you.

jwrnsktr
03-18-2007, 08:22 PM
I lived on Long Island, NY for many years and we are blessed to have many ice skating rinks. I would skate at many of the rinks and had groups of friends at each rink. Sometimes my "home rink" would be given over to hockey or close for repair or summer camps or whatever, and since I went to other rinks, I was never uncomfortable going elsewhere. My coach was at a rink half an hour away from my home rink. So, my opinion is to enjoy both!

Isk8NYC
03-18-2007, 10:09 PM
First, compare the lesson and practice times for the group lessons. My "home" rink charges for a 30-min lesson plus 30-min practice on lesson ice, so you get an hour of organized ice time each week. We have a 10-skater maximum per instructor and it's enforced. In addition, the skating school group lesson program provides a pass that lets you skate for free on any of four public sessions during that 10-week group lesson schedule. Another rink nearby charges the same rate, but offers the group lesson DURING the public session in a small coned-off corner. If you wanted to skate during an extra public session, you have to pay admission. Just try to compare the full packages to each other to decide which is the best program for your situation.

If you can, check out the ice at the new rink. It may be better than what you have now, or it may not be so good. I went to a rink today that I hadn't visited all season. Whenever I've gone there in the past, the ice was great, but it's the end of the season (1 week left) and today's ice was really not good.

Have you talked to your coach? I teach regularly in three or four different rinks; maybe your coach does the same. If not, try the travel back to your current rink for lessons and see how it goes. I used to pass three rinks much closer to my home in order to take privates with my coach on good ice.

Sessy
03-19-2007, 04:48 AM
Depends on the quality. One group lesson isn't another, the group could be smaller at the new rink or the coach could be better.

As for people living near an ice rink, my experience is that they don't take advantage of this. Half of them don't even know that "big building by the swimming pool" is an ice rink. I regularly hear things like, "Tilburg has an ice rink?!" (Tilburg is the town where I live) from people who lived here all their lives.

kayskate
03-20-2007, 08:22 AM
15 minutes is not a big time investment to get to lessons you like. Walking across the street is amazing. However, don't be detered if you really prefer your former rink once you've compared. You can always practice at the closer rink. I have a friend in a situation who does that.

Kay

Ice Dancer
03-20-2007, 05:47 PM
I actually don't skate at my nearest rink. When I took up skating I compared the three nearest and the one I chose worked out the best price and timing wise. The time of the lesson was a big consideration for me as I work full time, so that may be something you may wish to consider too.

I would definately stick with the private coach. Good private coaches are hard to come by, I know that from experience, so don't give that up. Make the most of living opposite a rink by practising there when you can, but unless circumstances change dramatically, I would keep private lessons at the current and maybe even your group ones, unless the new rink works out better all round.

herniated
03-20-2007, 07:44 PM
I agree with everyone. Keep your private coach and travel for your lessons or ask him/her if they teach at the rink across the street. (Someone else mentioned that too.) I take my lesson at one rink to be with my coach and the other time I skate at another!

niupartyangel
03-20-2007, 08:25 PM
Thanks guys! I really appreciate the advice. I haven't checked out the new rink yet, I only saw the outside and been reading up on their website. The quality of instruction for the group lessons did occur to me, or maybe they just have a lot of students that's why they can afford to charge for cheaper (i'm kinda laughing at myself...us skaters complain that we pay way too much for the sport, but then faced with some discounted lessons and then we suspect it's bad quality lol). I do agree that most probably I'll just keep lessons at my current rink and then just practice or do public skate at the new one.

My current rink offers free public skate passes with the group lessons, and the new rink doesn't, so i guess that's one reason for the price difference. Both of them offer 15-20 minute practice times in between classes though.

The story with me finding out about the rink across the street was this: so we checked out this condo, and after that we were in the car with the realtor who was gonna drive us a couple blocks to another condo. I asked, "Doesn't Downers Grove have an ice rink?" and the realtor said, "yeah it's actually across the rink from that first condo we saw. why do you skate?" And my fiance said, "oh man don't get her started now" so we drove back to the first condo we checked out and sure enough, I saw the sign that said Ice Arena hidden behind some trees. It just amazed me that the info sales sheet on the condo didn't say anything about being such close proximity to an ice rink, i guess people underestimate that it could be a good selling point.

niupartyangel
03-20-2007, 08:26 PM
another thing, it didn't occur to me to ask my privates coach whether she taught at other rinks. i'll definitely do that~