View Full Version : Making a program?

♥Feel the Rain♥
03-15-2007, 03:45 PM
Hi everyone. I've joined skatingforums quite a while ago, though I haven't been posting much. I am a recreational skater and I am in love with the ice. ;)

I was just wondering what's the best way to start working on a program for competition. I have an USFSA competition in June, and I've never competed before, so I have absolutely no idea how it's like. My coach told me to think about it, and if I really want to compete, I should do it. I have a few questions though! How do you chose the right music, the costume, and where to position the elements? Also, how do you make up your routine and choreography?

Just to give quick idea of how I am with skating, I am working on my single flip, lutz, and camel. I really don't know anything about competing, though, and I would appreciate any info and/or tips.

Thanks!

NickiT
03-15-2007, 04:00 PM
Firstly you need to select your music. Maybe your coach has some old pieces that you could listen to, or you have something in mind that you like. Else it's just a case of hunting for the right piece. Whatever, make sure you really love it as you will hear it often. As for the choreography, that's really your coach's job though it is something you will most likely work on together. Costume should be appropriate for your music but in general unless you have a strong theme attached to your music, it's just a case of selecting something that looks good on you. Well, that's how I do it anyway!

Nicki

herniated
03-15-2007, 04:09 PM
Hi feel the rain,
In choosing music, first I usually start listening to pieces that 'I' like. Then I let my coach listen to it. Your coach should know your ability and help you decide. He/she may even have a suggestion regarding music. I love very strong classical music, but the music I like is way to strong for my ability and style. Eventually you'll know what you can 'pull off', so to speak .Ultimately you need to really like your music.

About the placement of the elements, again your coach is the best one to decide this. (For now) Just so you know, if I don't feel comfortable with a placement of an element or choreography I'll work on it for about a week but if it's not working for me I tell my coach.

Your costume should reflect the mood or feeling of the music. And most of all you should be comfortable in it!! I have a very beautiful white dress. I beaded it myself, it looks great and went with my music. BUT, it drove me crazy!! :frus: It had a halter neckline with a hook at the neck. It was constantly pulling on the back of my neck. And the skirt was too short!!Anyway, hope this helps!:D

Also, regarding music. Barnes and Noble and I think Borders has headsets so you can listen to the CD first before buying it!!

Mrs Redboots
03-16-2007, 09:53 AM
For your first-ever competition, it's well worth asking your coach if they have any music that someone used last year or the year before that you could now use - chances are they have something and will let you listen to it before making your mind up.

And they will also have some idea of choreographing a routine for you, so don't feel you have to do it all yourself! You may find, listening to a piece and beginning to move to it, that you get some ideas, which is fine, too.

As for a dress and tights - that's always exciting! Again, since you don't know whether you will enjoy competing, it might be worth seeing if you can get something second-hand, or even borrow a dress from someone.

Best of luck! I hope you find you enjoy it as much as I do - personally, I think it's the most fun you can have with your clothes on!

Petlover
03-16-2007, 10:19 AM
Hi Feel the Rain - love your screen name, it makes me think of the Natasha Bedingfield song Unwritten.

Anyway, I agree with what the other posters have said. Be sure that whatever music you pick you really like and feel comfortable with. Since it's your first program, I wouldn't pick anything that's too strong or too fast. You want something that you can relax to and help your flow, do not pick music you have to worry about keeping up with.

Try to get a costume that is comfortable, and is stretchy. You don't want to feel restricted at all. I have bought a lot of wonderful costumes on ebay, and resold some too!

Good luck, relax and have fun!

Marcia

♥Feel the Rain♥
03-16-2007, 11:06 AM
Thanks everyone - I really appreciate the suggestions! I am going to the rink tomorrow and maybe I'll start working on it with my coach. I'll let you know how it goes! :lol: