View Full Version : boys skate pants

emma
03-09-2007, 10:18 AM
Help !!! I have a boy who skates and in the past we have brought GK brand skate pants. The type that pull on with an elastic waist and stirrups that snap instead of hook under the skate. GK has decided to not make boys skate clothes anymore so does anyone know of another company that makes that type of pants for boys.

samba
03-09-2007, 11:01 AM
I though for one minute that this was a sexist comment8O , in the UK pants is also another name for Rubbish or not very good. What country do you live in? There is a good skating tailor in the UK but probably no good if you dont live here.

emma
03-09-2007, 12:54 PM
No it is not a sexist comment in the US we call slacks pants. Clue me in what do you call pants in the UK?

Team Arthritis
03-09-2007, 12:58 PM
in the UK pants is also another name for Rubbish or not very good.

LOL fascinating! So the phrase "so who wears the pants in the family?" would mean what in England?

As the saying goes England and America are 2 countries connected by a common history and separated by a common language.
Lyle

Isk8NYC
03-09-2007, 01:01 PM
It's fairly easy to add a heavy-duty snap to a pair of stirrups. If you can't find the right trousers to buy, you could take off the hook and add a snap. The kit is sold at most fabric/sewing stores or you can get it online from JoAnn's.

Did you try eBay, btw?

How many different ways can we say 'slacks?'

NoVa Sk8r
03-09-2007, 02:14 PM
Are the pants for competition or just for practice?

Try BlueSkys:
http://www.blueskys.com/Catalogue/products.asp?catidx=1&cat=5

I have the 4010C (which I use on general skating sessions) and 4010CV (which I bought for competition).

Or maybe Onward:
http://www.onwardonline.com/pants.html

samba
03-09-2007, 03:39 PM
LOL fascinating! So the phrase "so who wears the pants in the family?" would mean what in England?

As the saying goes England and America are 2 countries connected by a common history and separated by a common language.
Lyle

Hi Lyle, I did say it's 'also' another name for Rubish or not very good, so pants does also mean what it was originally meant to mean as in slacks/trousers etc, it just depends in what context we use it.

Emma I was only having a joke with you, I did soon realise you were not being sexist and just thought I would share the joke.

aussieskater
03-09-2007, 03:52 PM
How many different ways can we say 'slacks?'

As in "she slacks off"? :D

Sorry, couldn't resist! :D Down here, "trousers" seems to be more used to refer to pants made from woven (rather than knit) fabric, while the stretch ones are "stretch pants". Interesting how a few hundred years of separation changes a language, and a few years of virtual contact makes the changes come together again! Viva l'English - I loves me a dynamic language.

jenlyon60
03-09-2007, 04:17 PM
Del Arbour makes boys skating pants also. I know several male skaters who have used then and been happy with them.

Isk8NYC
03-09-2007, 07:11 PM
Viva l'English - I loves me a dynamic language.Them's be pirate words, matey! 8-) Sorry.

dmmains
03-09-2007, 07:39 PM
I have two boys and also have a hard time finding pants. I've had good luck at www.skate-mart.com. They're not always in stock so many times I've had to wait many weeks to get them. The brand they carry is Twizzle. They do carry the pull on variety. You do have to hem the pants and attach the stirrups yourself. They provide the elastic with velcro ends.

Our coach has recommended www.blueskys.com but haven't yet ordered from them. They're a Canadian company. They do custom pants. You provide the measurements and they make them to fit. They also provide an option to have the pants made with room for growth. You need to give them 6-8 weeks.

As a last resort I've made them myself. Not ideal but works in pinch. They're not difficult to make if you know your way around a sewing machine.

cathrl
03-10-2007, 03:02 AM
Pants in the UK are, well, the underwear you wear just below the waist. I.e. for men, I think what you would call shorts. Not entirely sure what the women's version is called in the US.

I have to pinch myself repeatedly if I'm reading something written by an American and they refer to pants instead of trousers. Read with an English eye, it often sounds seriously indecent. :D

Answering someone else - we'd say "who wears the trousers?" "Who wears the pants?" would imply someone wasn't wearing any, which pretty much goes back to the indecent thing...

To get at least vaguely back on topic, you don't say how old your son is but if he's very little and not very high level yet, you might get away with dark trousers from a suit (I bought it cheap off ebay). That's what my 7 year old wears for club competitions, they look like "real" skating trousers from a distance and are loosely cut enough that it doesn't matter that they don't stretch. No stirrups though.

Mrs Redboots
03-10-2007, 06:57 AM
You can always add your own stirrups if you want, though - just buy some wide black elastic from the haberdashery department (said on purpose, as I know that means something different in the USA).

Catherine, I think women in the USA wear "panties".

emma
03-10-2007, 07:26 AM
Thanks all. There are so great web sites to go to. My gosh who would have thought there could be so many different meanings for the word pants!

emma
03-10-2007, 07:32 AM
You can always add your own stirrups if you want, though - just buy some wide black elastic from the haberdashery department (said on purpose, as I know that means something different in the USA).

Boy I could go on and on but in the US most call these underwear or undies only my nine year old callls them panties.

jskater49
03-10-2007, 07:36 AM

Unless they are Brittainy Spears.

Sorry, couldn't resis:oops:

j

Emberchyld
03-10-2007, 08:02 AM

Since my (22-year old) sister can't hear "panties" or "Bra" without cringing... around her we call them "undah-pants" and "top underwear" :lol: I have a wierd sister.

Nothing like walking around the underwear section of a department store talking about "unnnnndah-pants"!

Team Arthritis
03-12-2007, 11:12 AM
As in "she slacks off"? :D

Sorry, couldn't resist! :D Down here, "trousers" seems to be more used to refer to pants made from woven (rather than knit) fabric, while the stretch ones are "stretch pants". Viva l'English - I loves me a dynamic language.

In the US trousers are only something worn by old men or clowns:lol:
Lyle

Isk8NYC
03-12-2007, 11:19 AM
When I hear the word 'trousers,' I think of Wallace & Gromit's movie "The Wrong Trousers (http://www.wallaceandgromit.com/fla/wg.html)."

Hydroblade
03-12-2007, 12:10 PM
I wear Mondor pants for practice and competitiion but there is also a brand of pants by Sixo but they are way more expensive.