View Full Version : DS survived his first comp!!

Laura H
03-05-2007, 08:36 AM
He's 8, skating ISI FS 3 level, and he did a solo routine on Saturday (also his 1st time ever skating a solo - he's participated in group routines before in rink shows, but never a solo!).

Anyway, I was very proud of him, he nailed all of his required elements INCLUDING the change foot spin that has been his nemesis - unfortunately, he fell at the very end. His program ended with a step forward into his final pose and he stumbled on that and went down briefly on his knees . . . darn the luck!! because he did everything else quite well. I think it happened because he ended up doing a fast scratch spin to finish since he had nailed everything else and didn't have to retry any elements at the end . . . and it was so nice & fast that he actually got DIZZY and off balance. Poor guy. We have decided that if he ever finishes with a fast spin again, he will just stick his toepick in the ice and smile and be done with it! ;)

He was only competing against one other skater (a girl) and she got the gold and he got the silver, so he was a little disappointed about that, but I still think he did very well - I think she did have a little more "stage presence" but technically they weren't too awfully far apart - his coach (who actually coaches both of them!) said that she thought he did very well for his first time.

And, after the comp was over, he went skating on the public session and had a great time having fun - very exuberant and landing flips all over the place and spinning like a top - and he says he DEFINITELY wants to compete again, so I guess all-in-all it was a good experience for him.

Petlover
03-05-2007, 08:43 AM
CONGRATULATIONS!!! Your son sounds like a champion!

Mrs Redboots
03-05-2007, 09:38 AM
Well done him! Sounds like he thoroughly enjoyed himself.

jskater49
03-05-2007, 10:12 AM
Congratulations - it's always nerve wracking watching your kid.

YOu know, I was always grateful my daughter didn't start winning right away, it helped her develop a good attititude...I felt bad for the kids who started off winning everything, then when it got harder and they didn't win, it was harder on them.

j

Isk8NYC
03-05-2007, 07:59 PM
Sorry I missed this in the morning - people at work actually expected me to do work at the office. LOL (Interesting story, too. A student's scores came from the testing service different from what his high school transcript showed. It was the infamous "mis-scored" 10/2005 SAT test, so I had to run audit trails to prove MY scores were not tampered with or incorrect.)

Congrats to your son. Glad he enjoyed his day and is looking forward to more comps in the future! Was his brother totally jealous?

Laura H
03-06-2007, 08:39 AM
Sorry I missed this in the morning - people at work actually expected me to do work at the office. LOL (Interesting story, too. A student's scores came from the testing service different from what his high school transcript showed. It was the infamous "mis-scored" 10/2005 SAT test, so I had to run audit trails to prove MY scores were not tampered with or incorrect.)

Congrats to your son. Glad he enjoyed his day and is looking forward to more comps in the future! Was his brother totally jealous?

Actually no, he was VERY supportive . . . said he should have won the GOLD!
And "other DS" is our hockey player - and he scored a goal on Sunday, so pretty much a good weekend for the kiddos!!

And yes, "figure skater DS" is very much looking forward to future competitions - and is actually on a "high" since Saturday's comp - has a new "spark" to his skating and actually learned (and landed!) his lutz during this morning's practice session, according to DH's report! (poor DH, he is getting a crash course in figure skating these days - after volunteering for chauffeur service for those early morning sessions!).

Laura H
03-06-2007, 08:43 AM
Oh, and I talked to his coach last night (who was actually teaching our group lesson!) and she says she doesn't think they would have faulted him for the stumble at the end, as he had already basically finished the routine. So that's good to hear. (I guess! DS may prefer to blame the fall for his 2nd place finish!! ;) ).

twokidsskatemom
03-06-2007, 12:21 PM
sounds like he had fun @!!!!!!

Logan3
03-11-2007, 09:18 AM
That's great!
For my book if your kid goes out and nails the elements and finishes the routine then he/she is a winner! It sounds like he did an awsome job!
I am still waiting for the day that my dd will do a clean routine! I would not worry about placement....

sarahmom3
03-12-2007, 07:56 AM
I just wanted to send out a belated congrats to your DS! When my dd was fs3, she had a hard time with her two foot spins too. I'm so glad he had a good experience!
Heather