View Full Version : Off-balance spins! (weep!)

Anita18
09-14-2002, 09:21 PM
Okay, today my backspin entrance was the best it's ever been, but now I have problems pulling in, LOL. Actually, that's not my main gripe in this post, but it's funny how my good backspin days never match up with good forward spin days...:(

I couldn't do a single forward spin today! :frus: When I swung the free leg around, sometimes the FO edge would get stuck, or other times I'd try to center myself and then topple over my left side. Other times I'd feel centered more or less, but when I tried to pull in, my right hip/shoulder would fall slightly. Actually, I didn't feel that, but I felt that my BI edge was pretty deep. I really tried to fix it, but I couldn't! I felt like crying! :cry: This happened last week too, but I just thought it was a one-time flop. I don't know what's wrong! They were (relatively) good before I left for college! I wondered if my skates needed sharpening, (I slipped right off the FO edge once...ouch..8O) but the edges feel fine. Somebody help! Even my sit spin was off today, and trying the camel was definitely out of the picture - I couldn't get on the flat at all.

What can I do to get my weight over my left side? I'm ready to try just about anything!

Anita

icesk8er31
09-14-2002, 11:09 PM
Anita,

Make sure that when you step into the spin, you've got a good knee bend on your left (skating) side. Many times when I really screw up a spin, it's because I'm going in stiff. Also, make sure that you keep your left knee slightly bent until you get your center.

Hope this helps! Spins are the bane of my existence, so you have my sympathy.

Elsy2
09-15-2002, 03:53 PM
Usually when I have such problems I'm rushing the 3-turn entry, so try holding that entry edge a little longer. I also have a tendancy to drop the right side. To fix this I focus on the right arm coming around and in a little higher, and it seems my right hip/ leg will follow right along and I won't be dropping the right side.

Hope that helps, but really I'm thinking some days are spin days, and some aren't. It's very possible the next time you go out there, you'll be fine! It sounds like you are a capable spinner. Maybe have a friend watch and see if they can see something you are doing that you aren't aware of.

MissIndigo
09-15-2002, 07:58 PM
When my spins go wonky, I do this simple little exercise using one of the hockey lines. I push off from a standstill onto a deep LFO edge and try not to execute the three turn into the spin until I am back over the line. Keeps me from rushing the turn. I ususally try to keep the diameter of my entry arc no more than 3 shoulder widths or so (about 4 feet for me or 4 blade lengths). Fixes problems every time--I start back out making sure my upright spins are centered, and then move on to camels, sits, etc.

Try it! It may help you!

Anita18
09-23-2002, 03:48 AM
Well, I had the sitspin pretty much down yesterday, which was a relief. The camel would have been better if my head had not been leaning forward so much. I was spinning on the pick, and then I'd fall over, LOL. But at least my weight was more or less over my left side.

HOWEVER - my scratch spin still sucks! My entrance is better, but when I continue spinning, my body starts leaning in some random direction and I can't control it. I had one semi-good one today, but I was forced to adjust myself midspin to order to achieve a good position. I haven't done a stable forward scratch this month yet. Arghggh..should I just work on this on my floor spinner and see if that helps? (Usually that messes with my entry, but..)

Anita