View Full Version : Enhancing coaching technique

miraclegro
02-04-2007, 03:13 PM
Hi there,

I am just starting to coach private lessons, which are way different than the group lessons i have been doing. I am doing a good job, but i guess i am wondering if a lot of coaches started taking more of the developing coaching techniques from PSA or just strengthening the ISI or USFSA in the coaches training mode. Any suggestions will be appreciated....

blue111moon
02-05-2007, 09:27 AM
Just about all the coaches I know make it a point to attend the PSA and USFSA coaching schools every year, specifically to stay current with teaching techniques. Even my own coach who is master rated in Figures, FS and Pairs, takes as many classes as she teaches.

So yes, I'd say, go to as many classes as you can get to. It never hurts to see how other people do things and it adds to your resume, showing that you're serious about the job.

Isk8NYC
02-05-2007, 10:25 AM
Taking skating lessons is important. It really opens your eyes to what you're doing, which makes it easier to teach it to others. In addition, it gives you a different approach to try with your students. Auditing other coaches' group lessons helps too - just check with the Director and Coach first. (Some are resistant.)

I attend ISI and PSA workshops, but for some reason I never find out about the USFSA seminars beforehand.

The ISI's Fall seminars for coaches are very good and cover a broad range of topics. (Bonus: they're free) In the past, the topics have included equipment lectures, blending USFSA and ISI programs, skate problems, on-ice teaching techniques, and rule revisions. Every one I've been to has included a video judging event, which really helps you understand what the test standards are and how competition judging works. After the education portion, they offer the judges' tests.

The USFSA offers Club education seminars and Learn-to-Teach Basic Skills workshops. The USFSA coordinates those workshops; I've never gone to one, but others have told me they're really good.

The PSA state workshops are also very good and usually include an on-ice seminar. The PSA has 3-4 different types of events. The State workshops are one-day seminars on a bunch of different topics. The Oral Ratings are testing dates for coaches seeking PSA ratings. PACE is a 3-day workshop to prepare coaches for the PSA ratings tests. The USFSA workshops are often, but not always, publicized on the PSA site. The annual conference is a week-long conference with seminars on a variety of topics and includes exams, etc. (Big bucks)

I'm not sure about the PSA online education since I've not taken any of those courses myself.

You do NOT have to be a member to attend a workshop, btw. You can pay a slightly higher price for the PSA. The ISI won't let you take any tests, but usually welcome non-members to their seminars.