View Full Version : question for PA/MD area skaters: driving from southern PA to Ice World

mikawendy
09-13-2002, 12:50 PM
Does anyone in the MD/southern PA area know the best way to get from York, PA, to Ice World in Abingdon, MD? I'll be at a shower in Shrewsbury, PA, this Saturday (tomorrow) and thought I'd kill two birds with one stone and get a skating session in afterward.

The Ice World web site says to take 851 to 136 to Rt. 7 (Phila. Road) but on the map, it seems like taking 851 to 24 to Governor Court is more direct. (MapQuest is giving me totally ridiculous directions :twisted: --to go SOUTH for miles on 83 until I get to the Baltimore Beltway and then go back NORTH for miles on I-95).

Thanks for your help!
--mikawendy:D

flo
09-13-2002, 01:29 PM
From a skater there:
Get to Stewartstown, take 24s, and cross into Maryland (turns into MD23) At the intersection in Jarretesville (at light) make a right onto 165.
At intersection with light, turn left (should be Rt 1/MD24). Then stay on until next major intersection and make a right. Stay there for 3 lights and bear to the right, will be a sign for Bel Air. After turn and merge, make left turn and you'll be in Bel Air. Stay on till route 7 and turn left.

Sometimes the 83 way is faster, although more miles! Also check with Ice World, my friend thought she saw an announcement about no ice on Saturday. If so, Northwest in Baltimore has a skating party (open skate) from 11-2. There will be a skate exchange and costume sale.

Mrs Redboots
09-15-2002, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by mikawendy
I'll be at a shower in Shrewsbury, PA, this Saturday (tomorrow) and thought I'd kill two birds with one stone and get a skating session in afterward. You'll be doing what???? Or was that a misprint for "show"?

mikawendy
09-15-2002, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by Mrs Redboots
You'll be doing what???? Or was that a misprint for "show"?

Saturday I was at a baby shower. Over here it's a party given for an expectant mother (we "shower" her with gifts for the baby.... and eat many sweets and cake etc. in the process...) Do they have those in the UK?

The shower was lovely. It was thrown for a woman I work with. Everyone at work got together and pitched in for a group gift AND a basket of children's books. The hostess had made these amazing, hand-sewn kimono like baby clothes, and she also made a recipe book of baby recipes (baby food, homemade baby wipes, etc.)

I wound up not going skating afterward because a) the shower went longer than I thought and b) my knees have been hurting, so I thought it would be better if I didn't skate. The right is feeling much better and my left is nearly better.

Mrs Redboots
09-16-2002, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by mikawendy
Saturday I was at a baby shower. Over here it's a party given for an expectant mother (we "shower" her with gifts for the baby.... and eat many sweets and cake etc. in the process...) Do they have those in the UK?

No, we don't! Here people send gifts and cards once the baby has arrived safely.

I am looking forward to going skating this evening, as we were away for the weekend at my parents' Golden Wedding celebrations, which lasted for two days and were exhausting, but great fun! But it meant we missed two valuable practices, and Robert, with his Level 3 dance test coming up, is also missing next weekend - I'm furious with him!