View Full Version : ???breaking in new skates???

peanutskates
01-23-2007, 12:02 PM
I've often heard skaters complaining about breaking in new skates, and how your first few sessions are agony... and your feet die...

either I'm very lucky, or have got skates that are the wrong size, but I have had NO problems at all whilst skating in my new skates for the first few times.

Is this normal?? Whilst trying on some skates, I tried size 39 and size 40. Size 39 was quite tight around my toes, so I decided on s. 40, which was comfortable and didn't press on anything or feel too tight.

My skating hasn't been affected by new skates, which is why I think that they are my size and not too big...

So what I'm really asking is, has anyone else managed to escape the breaking in agony, or am I just really weird that way...?

I got the skates in Sweden, whilst on holiday, from a sports shop. Everyone in Sweden has their own skates if they skate.

TaBalie
01-23-2007, 12:12 PM
With my last pair of skates (Graf Edmonton Specials) there wasn't any agony from the skates during break in -- they were soft and comfortable. I did have some foot cramps, but it wasn't the boots fault, it was because I hadn't been on the ice for a l-o-n-g time. My new pair is stiffer, so the break-in will be a bit harder. It certainly isn't agony or extreme pain, but the skate hasn't yet really "molded" to foot, and ankle bends are a bit tough. Basically, everyone has different experiences :)

phoenix
01-23-2007, 12:30 PM
A lot depends on the boots & how stiff they are, and also whether they are heat moldable. Some brands are notorious for having nasty break-in times, others seem to go much easier.

Also it can depend on the level of skating you're doing, which kind of corresponds with the boots....in general the higher level the stiffer the boot. Makes a difference if you're trying force stiff boots into enough ankle bend for a low sit spin, or if you're simply skating around in circles in a soft pair of recreational boots.

NoVa Sk8r
01-23-2007, 12:46 PM
I'm on my 2nd pair of custom Klingbeils (that I got in Nov. '03) and have never had any "new-boot blues." Of course, my feet aren't shaped like triangles or anything, and I don't have any corns, bunions, or other foot ailments, so maybe that helps. :)

jazzpants
01-23-2007, 01:06 PM
My break-in for my custom purple Harlicks with orthotics were also relatively painless. They fit like a dream... it's like a snug pair of slippers!!! Love 'em!!! :D :bow:

Hannah
01-23-2007, 03:01 PM
Mine felt comfy from the start, but after a few months I can notice a big difference in the broken-in feel from how they felt initially.

Helen88
01-23-2007, 03:25 PM
Mine were fine I seem to remember, but they'de have had to be about 3 sizes too tight to be any worse that the hire ones ;)

Bill_S
01-23-2007, 04:10 PM
I had an awful :cry: time breaking in my last pair of new skates. I had bloody ankle bones and legs where the boots rubbed, and they felt like someone had c-clamped lumber to my feet. I wondered if they would EVER break in, and they eventually did after about a month.

I hope my next pair is better. The designs have changed considerably in the last few years.

coskater64
01-23-2007, 05:05 PM
It took Harlick a few times to get them just right but now, they make very nice comfy skates for me, they take about a week to get going and I wear them very loose, what makes it more fun is when I get a new blade which is every third pair of new boots, backspins become very exciting. Overall I've only had two bad pairs and both were toooo strong for me and hurt quite badly. I no longer make that mistake and have found my feet thank me, even though I end up purchasing more boots in the long run.:lol:

Mrs Redboots
01-24-2007, 07:48 AM
My first pair of skates rubbed me raw at first. My second pair were bedroom-slippers after ten minutes. This pair just felt "wrong" for a week, but after that they felt like my skates.