View Full Version : Do you sit spin?

melanieuk
09-12-2002, 12:40 PM
Just curious, but what arm positions do you use in a sit spin?

What arm position helps you to spin faster, and what looks better (to you or your coach)?

Do you vary your arms and practise all kinds of positions?

kar5162
09-12-2002, 01:20 PM
Well, this is what I think I do...it may not be what it actually looks like though...

I leave my arms open, then pull them together when I pull my leg in to build speed. I usually keep my arms straight in front of me (not resting on the knee), but push them forward and down. When my knee doesn't hurt I sometimes reach them down along my thighs toward the ice - this makes you spin faster. Every now and then I will twist them so one arm is behind me and my shoulders are slightly turned. I can do this both ways, but find it easier and faster if I curve them to the left (so they are going in the direction I'm spinning CCW). I don't know it this is really faster or if it just feels faster because it's more disorienting. I think it may be a case of the latter.

serpentine
09-12-2002, 01:28 PM
i am most comfortable with the 'arms in front and hands pressed down' position, but have done or seen done variations with the hands grasping the spinning foot's heel/ankle area, with the hands covering the face (for an artistic program), and hands resting/pressing down on the thighs. i personally like how solid i feel in the 'normal' position, but the other positions are equally effective with the right music (though the spin is not as fast, at least for me, because i am fumbling initially to adjust my center of rotation with my weight shift!).

one should always practise many different positions to a) find the position that they like best, and b) to add interest and a personal touch to an otherwise run of the mill element. in particular if you are competitor, judges will note that you have tried something different from the norm, and if done well it can only help you out marks-wise!

what sit spin arm positions do you prefer melanie?

melanieuk
09-13-2002, 02:09 AM
I'm a CW spinner: I have my right arm out in front and parallel to the ice.
My left arm either sits on my left thigh or holds on to my calve.
That's the way it comes out fastest, but I try variations (mainly just for a laugh) like Stephane Lambiel!! ;)

Ellyn
09-13-2002, 08:28 AM
Lately (spinning counterclockwise), I tend to do the forward sitspin with the left arm forward and right arm back/to the side. The reason is that it makes it very easy to get a "snap" for extra power by reversing the arms when changing to a back sit. My new coach thinks it's unusual, but it works.

When I try flying sit, especially with the change of foot to back sit, which usually works better for me, I usually end up with my arms crossed in front of my chest like a loose jump air position.