View Full Version : Advice for beginner boy's skates?

HelenC
01-17-2007, 05:09 PM
My 6 year old has a size 1 wide Riedells with a Wilson Excel blade which he has been skating on since Sept. (I was lucky to get them cheaply when a shop was closing a few years ago.) He is tall and thin, and I think his foot is more on the wide side. His level is about a Basic 3.

Previous to these skates he had the Softecs, which he liked and were very comfy. The present Riedells ar not as comfortable, but when he switched over his skating got better. I'm not sure if it is due to a better boot or better blades.

He is outgrowing the Riedells, and I need to get him new skates. I asked about options at the skate shop in Chelsea Piers, and they said to bring him in for a fitting. They also said they would probably have to order Riedells which come in wide sizes for boys, and it would be over $200. This would be expensive for skates that would be outgrown in 5 months.

I saw a size 2 medium Jackson Glacier in a shop in New Jersey. The width looked wider than Riedells, and it looked about the right size. The blade was not very good, though. On Cyclone Taylor's web site, the blade on the Jackson Marquis for $130 looks similar to the Excel blades he has now. It also says heat moldable. How would this work if you order it over the web? Anyone have experience with these skates or heat molding?

Is there a shop near NY which stocks Jackson Marquis?
Or do you have other advice or recommendations? Thanks!

dbny
01-17-2007, 06:47 PM
On Cyclone Taylor's web site, the blade on the Jackson Marquis for $130 looks similar to the Excel blades he has now. It also says heat moldable. How would this work if you order it over the web? Anyone have experience with these skates or heat molding?

Is there a shop near NY which stocks Jackson Marquis?
Or do you have other advice or recommendations? Thanks!

I think Cyclone Taylor can give you instructions for heat molding at home. If not, I recall that someone here has done it and a search should turn up some helpful info.

Finding the Jackson Marquis in the right size could be tough. You could try Dante Cozzi at the Newbridge Arena in Bellmore (516-783-0215) and Skate For Gold in Hicksville (516-433-5273).

I hate to say it, but maybe this is the time for him to switch to hockey skates, if that what he wants to do. He's skating well enough now that switching should be pretty easy for him.

Isk8NYC
01-17-2007, 08:51 PM
You were probably at Hackensack - I saw the boys' Glaciers on display there last week. I've only seen the girls' version on skaters. I like the Glaciers for low-level skaters, I'm on the fence if the skater is a little heavy -- I think it's a bit too soft, but it could also be a fitting issue. (Selling a too-long skate to accomodate a wide foot.)

I think all but one skater in my Saturday AM preteen beginner girls' group are on the Jackson Glaciers. One is struggling, but I think it's the last sharpening she had more than the skate itself. (Could also be a sizing error.)

The easiest way to pick the right size is to take his feet to the pro shop and try them on. They can heat mold the skates and sharpen the blades. Worst case: you get the right size and order them off the internet, then have them heat molded when you get the blades sharpened.

As an aside, there are two different versions of the Glaciers; a regular skate and a "Glacier Soft" skate. The latter has a lot more padding, but I haven't seen a boys version of that as yet.

As for local shops, I know Hackensack (201) 487-8444 has the boys' glaciers; JT Sports (718) 605-5771 on Staten Island definitely sell the girls' version - call them to check on the boys model and sizes available.

By the way, you can have the skates stretched to buy more shopping time. You'll need to leave the skates overnight so it really "takes."

HelenC
01-18-2007, 05:20 PM
DBNY and Isk8NYC, thank you for your very good suggestions. I called the shops you recommended and no one has the boy's Jackson Marquis, but they would order it. Boy's figure skates are scarce compared with girl's.

DBNY, Andy at Dante Cozzi seemed very nice. Who would you recommend to do fitting and sharpening there? Thanks for the tip about seaching for threads on heat molding. So it is possible to do at home with a convection oven or hair drier.

I don't think I'll switch him to hockey skates just yet. Since he hasn't seen hockey played for awhile, he's forgotten about it.

Isk8NYC, thanks for the tip about stretching his present boots. I'm putting him in thin socks and replaced the felt inner sole with a thinner one.

Skittl1321
01-18-2007, 05:45 PM
I'm not sure if this is useful at all- but it seems that all of the young boys (younger than 12) wear white skates that have been polished black or wear black boot covers over their skates. Since they all skate in black pants, you don't even notice they are wearing boot covers- since they blend right in.

This might open your options a bit more.

dbny
01-18-2007, 07:59 PM
DBNY, Andy at Dante Cozzi seemed very nice. Who would you recommend to do fitting and sharpening there? Thanks for the tip about seaching for threads on heat molding. So it is possible to do at home with a convection oven or hair drier.

I don't think I'll switch him to hockey skates just yet. Since he hasn't seen hockey played for awhile, he's forgotten about it.

I would go with Dante himself for both fitting and sharpening.

I don't blame you for not giving up hope yet. Does he ever watch figure skating on TV? He might get a kick out of this Kurt Browning number (http://youtube.com/watch?v=2BiwsJwepDE).

I'm not sure if this is useful at all- but it seems that all of the young boys (younger than 12) wear white skates that have been polished black or wear black boot covers over their skates. Since they all skate in black pants, you don't even notice they are wearing boot covers- since they blend right in.

If he agrees to boot covers, I have a pair you can have that would fit.

Isk8NYC
01-19-2007, 02:37 AM
That's a good point: boys skates are hard to find.

In a few weeks, I'll have two pairs of white Riedell Bronze Medallions in size 1.5 or 2 available. (The Twins need new skates, too.) You could use boot covers/black tape/leather paint on the skates to make them black.

Mrs Redboots
01-19-2007, 07:52 AM
I'm not sure if this is useful at all- but it seems that all of the young boys (younger than 12) wear white skates that have been polished black or wear black boot covers over their skates. Since they all skate in black pants, you don't even notice they are wearing boot covers- since they blend right in.Or buy a white or beige pair and then dye them - the sort of dye you buy for shoes and bags ought to work well - or, of course, there is always sk8tape or similar!

HelenC
01-19-2007, 11:55 AM
Thanks for the tips about taping and dyeing, everyone.

When he was a huge, fat baby with wide feet, I donated his older sister's medium Riedells from size 9 through 4. She was always tiny with narrow feet and I didn't think they would ever work for him.

I'll have to get him measured, and find out what kind of feet he has. I wonder if boy's skates are larger for the same number size. His size 1 wide Riedells are 8 1/2" long. I measured boys size 2 medium Riedells in the shop and they are 9" long.

They seem very long to me. My foot is about 3/4" longer than his, and my skates are 9" long too (street size 5). Something seems weird about that.

HelenC
01-19-2007, 06:13 PM
DBNY, it's very thoughtful of you to link that video. You are a very smart coach! He loved seeing it.

I don't think he'll go for wearing girl's skates with boot covers, but thanks for the offer too.

twokidsskatemom
01-19-2007, 08:27 PM
My son is in pair of jackson Fs size 1 skates that we dye black. Its not that hard after you put a few coats on and no one can tell.
Good luck !!!