View Full Version : Skating Dresses?

skatin' mom
09-12-2002, 12:03 PM
I am going to be in my first "real" competition next spring and have absolutely no idea where to get a skating dress. The ones at the rink shop are mostly for little girls (or very skinny teens). Are there websites or major stores I should check out for something elegant but not gaudy?

skatesnrides
09-12-2002, 12:18 PM
Hi Skatin Mom!

Here are a few places to try:

www.gk-elitesportswear.com
www.rainbosportsshop.com
www.twizzledesign.com
www.starskatewear.com
www.cyclonetaylorfigskate.com
www.figureskatingdress.com
www.icewear.com

I'm always on the hunt for dresses. Especially dance dresses. Sizing runs a little different for each manufacturer..so be sure to check the sizing charts.

skatin' mom
09-12-2002, 12:51 PM
Wow! Thanks for your quick and comprehensive reply!!:P

kar5162
09-12-2002, 01:15 PM
If you are one of those (many) adults who does not fit into a large because it is (at many companies) built for 14 year olds, you may want to try www.freidab.com. Their clothing ranges actually fit the ranges they suggest and they make through XLs (for size 18-20). Their skirts are also cut a little longer and even though they're straight, a little fuller, which is flattering. In addition, every style of hers I've seen will cover a normal bra...unlike the very low or open back designs many other companies like.

www.iceangel.com also makes some nice dresses that are larger, though don't go as big, and fairly well covering.

TashaKat
09-12-2002, 01:22 PM
and failing that (though I doubt that you'll need to look any further!) you could try dance shops! I've managed to get a few nice dresses which have been suitable for the more mature skater (ie they cover your butt :roll: ) at dance shops :)

Here's my next acquisition (it's a 'Jerry's' one although I've also had Capezio which are very nice). One 'tip' that I was grateful for was to 'tend' towards velvet ..... it is more forgiving for those of us that have passed puberty, it's bit warmer, looks elegant and you don't have to worry about the 'see through' effect.

http://www.topskate.co.uk/acatalog/J215-empress.jpg

L x

jenlyon60
09-12-2002, 02:35 PM
I've been very pleased with the dresses I've bought from Del Arbour (http:www.delarbour.com)

And I'm short and rather chubby...

If you call them and chat with them, they can customize any of their basic catalog with different skirts (they have more skirt options than they show on their web site) or add sleeves or zippers or mesh backs (they seem to have a fondness for strappy dresses this season). Not cheap, but very well made. The first time I ordered, they sent me a stock dress in a similar style to try on for fit, before we confirmed the order.

But... unless you buy something already in stock, it's about a 4-week turnaround for a totally customized dress.

Now... if I could just get a heavy layer of power net lining across the tummy...

--jsl

LoopLoop
09-12-2002, 03:01 PM
I second the vote for Freida B! They're very well-made as well as fitting adults very nicely. Personally, I'm tall (5'7") and I also like Motionwear and GK dresses; there's no way I can wear dresses from Capezio because of my height.

JDC1
09-12-2002, 03:11 PM
Well, I am no where near testing or competing so I don't need a dress anytime soon BUT my guess is I'll get one within the next 6 months or so just to wear it around the house and get used to it. I do so HATE the idea of having to wear one of those dresses in public but whatever. How do sizes translate? I have a 10petite top and 6 petite bottom so my guess is whatever I get I am going to have to have alterations done. Particularly I liked some of the Del Arbour styles, the high neck and long sleeves. What do you do about wedgies? I noticed a lot of skaters on tv have the wedgie problem, is it avoidable?

IceAngel725
09-12-2002, 03:19 PM
I definitely recommend gk elite and motionwear, i have dresses from them and love them!

flo
09-12-2002, 03:28 PM
Also, this is a great time of year to pick up used dresses. Many clubs are having skate exchanges to open the season.
I prefer the Mirella dance dresses and unitards. I have one Del Arbor that's nice and a GK. I think the GK's tend to be long in the body.

spicyicey
09-12-2002, 03:48 PM
Don't forget www.skatewear4less.com (http://www.skatewear4less.com) !!!!! I have bought a lot of stuff there. I really like the capezio tights- they are really nice and thick and hold up well. Most of the dresses are capezio, which runs really small. Their selection is getting bigger, though. I would recommend them though, all of my orders have come very quickly. I'd definitely check it out to see if they have any styles you like before you pay more!! Happy shopping!

dbny
09-12-2002, 04:44 PM
I second skatewear4less, aka DanceFactoryOutlet (http://www.dancefactoryoutlet.com). I am 5'3" and weigh in around 150 with a bit too much in the middle and bottom, and not much at all on top. Velvet is definitely the way to go with that kind of shape. Also, look for "V" shaped skirts if you don't have much of a waistline, they work wonders.

If anyone is interested, I have a beautiful velvet empire tank dress by Leo's, never worn, with tags, that has never fit me. I bought it before I lost weight, then found that size XL is really for tall women, as opposed to short heavy women :x

I'm asking $35 plus shipping.

http://members.aol.com/dbny9/EmDress.jpg

CanAmSk8ter
09-12-2002, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by JDC1
What do you do about wedgies? I noticed a lot of skaters on tv have the wedgie problem, is it avoidable?

It is if a) the dress is well-made, and b) it fits you properly. Some companies, and I"m drawing a blank on names right now, but there's one in particular that I find causes wedgies right away. When you try a dress on, move around in it, do anything that's in your program that you think could cause a wedgie, and if it does, try the next size. One of the big things that causes wedgies is dresses that don't have enough elastic or have cheap overly-stretchy elastic in the leg holes. If that seems to be the problem, someone who knows how to sew can probably replace the elastic for you. I can't tell you how many of my dresses my mom has had to do that to.

MissIndigo
09-12-2002, 05:48 PM
I get my (competition) dresses custom-made at http://www.ksskatewear.com. There's a lot of designs to choose from and the seamstress is very flexible with me--she will modify patterns if possible to the way I want the dress to look and they always fit beautifully. The prices aren't too steep either; the most I've paid for any one dress has been $125 and that was with it fully adorned, but I tend to choose the simpler styles so I can get the stones, sequins, etc. I want without having to pay an arm and a leg.

dbny
09-12-2002, 10:10 PM
Don't know how I could have forgotten Skating Dresses on ebay (http://search-desc.ebay.com/search/search.dll?MfcISAPICommand=GetResult&SortProperty=MetaNewSort&query=skating+dress+%2D%28doll%2Cbarbie%2Cginnie%2 Cskipper%2Cgirls%2Cch%2Cchild%2Cchilds%2Cdolls%2Cg inny%2Cgirl%2Cattic%29&srchdesc=y&ebaytag1=ebayreg&ht=1&combine=y&st=2)
:!:

Mrs Redboots
09-15-2002, 01:03 PM
If you really hate the thought of wearing a dress - although when everybody else is, I promise you you won't feel nearly such a fool - then buy or make a plain black velvet wrap skirt, and buy one of those cheap gold tops that the shops are beginning to be full of at this time of year. Wear a large pair of black underpants over the top of your tights, and there you are! All set!

I must admit I do love Twizzle designs.

jasmine
09-15-2002, 03:04 PM
The most important thing is to check the sizing, especially the girth (round your torso over one shoulder and through the legs). Sizing varies enormously between manufacturers, an XL in one manufacturer will be a short size US 12; in another manufacturer it will be a tall size 14; in another manufacturer it will be a medium size 16. So if you want a more detailed recommendation, you have to give us your measurements ....!!

Don't be tempted to buy a size too small; as it will not look sleek, but just show every lump and bump. And watch your knicker line, that the white does not show underneath the dress. Tights should be skating tights and not street tights (which are too thin and sometimes have a perceptibly darker line above thigh level).

For a first dress, I recommend stretch velvet in either black or a colour which really suits you. Don't wear a dress which is too plain - ask advice on decoration; this could be lace or rhinestones or cutouts or variations on these.

If you need a lot of bra support, bear this (ha ha) in mind when buying the dress (whether straps will show etc). Once you know what works under the lights, you can get away with bras with see-thru plastic straps and/or a flesh coloured bodysuit worn under the dress. But I'd leave this fancy stuff for your second dress! If you have a dress made, they can also layer nude illusion fabric so that it is effectively opaque, but personally I think this can be overdone.

Of course, if you are very slim with nice shoulders, you can wear the strappy styles, but these can be a bit cold in winter.

www.figureskaters-resource.com has a huge selection.

www.satinspirals.com have some lovely dresses, their largest size L is for a tall size US 12/14.

If you are larger than XL, www.riversedgedancewear.com will accept orders for standard styles in PLUS sizes at off-the-peg prices; only problem is they do charge your credit card straight away, but have lead times up to eight weeks.

At any rate, preferably order your dress at least eight weeks in advance to be sure.

mikawendy
09-15-2002, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by flo
I prefer the Mirella dance dresses and unitards.

I really like Mirella dance dresses and unitards, too. My tall ballet dancer friends, however, tell me that their normal sizes are a bit on the short side for tall people. I don't know if they offer a "tall" version of their sizes.

TashaKat
09-16-2002, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by jasmine
Don't be tempted to buy a size too small; as it will not look sleek, but just show every lump and bump. And watch your knicker line, that the white does not show underneath the dress. Tights should be skating tights and not street tights (which are too thin and sometimes have a perceptibly darker line above thigh level).

For a first dress, I recommend stretch velvet in either black or a colour which really suits you. Don't wear a dress which is too plain - ask advice on decoration; this could be lace or rhinestones or cutouts or variations on these.

ITA PLUS you're almost guaranteed to get a wedgie (having more muscle/less fat doesn't help this either ..... I don't have that problem ;) ) if you get a dress that's too small. Regarding the knicker line you can either go commando (my legacy from ballet), wear a g-string (only if you don't feel the need to keep 'plucking') or wear nude or costume-coloured high legs (these are supposed to 'cover' all eventualities! :roll: ).

Funny story about skating tights!

At the rink that I used to skate at there was a certain adult who never wore skating tights but always wore normal tights with 'tops'. It came to her test time and I was assigned by her coach (chicken) to get her to wear skating tights ..... that particular assignment was successful .... she THEN said "but I'm not wearing flesh, I'm wearing black, flesh are too cold" ........ :? erm????

Mrs Redboots
09-17-2002, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by TashaKat
ITA PLUS you're almost guaranteed to get a wedgie (having more muscle/less fat doesn't help this either ..... I don't have that problem ;) ) if you get a dress that's too small. Regarding the knicker line you can either go commando (my legacy from ballet), wear a g-string (only if you don't feel the need to keep 'plucking') or wear nude or costume-coloured high legs (these are supposed to 'cover' all eventualities! :roll: ).I find "Tangas" work a treat - they are the ones where your "eventualities" (thanks, Tashakat!) are nicely covered, but the two "business areas" are joined by elastic, so there is no material up the sides of your thigh.Funny story about skating tights!

At the rink that I used to skate at there was a certain adult who never wore skating tights but always wore normal tights with 'tops'. It came to her test time and I was assigned by her coach (chicken) to get her to wear skating tights ..... that particular assignment was successful .... she THEN said "but I'm not wearing flesh, I'm wearing black, flesh are too cold" ........ :? erm???? I nearly always wear ordinary tights to practice - John Lewis' 40 denier are fine, as they have such a slight "thigh-top" mark that you really can't see it unless you are very close up. I do have proper tights for competition, though, but that is a fairly recent development, since my boots got too tatty to wear without boot covers. They are still good, but you know what dancers' boots get like.....

Incidentally, I hear that the dance club at Tashakat's rink was cancelled on Wednesday as the roof had fallen in? Any details?