View Full Version : Skating moves OFF the ice

FallDownGoBoom
01-13-2007, 12:45 PM
As I opened the door for someone yesterday, I did a forward outside mohawk without even thinking about it.

This was unusual. Because it wasn't at the rink. It was at the mall.

Weird.

Helen88
01-13-2007, 12:49 PM
Interesting...:lol:

Paulie86
01-13-2007, 08:25 PM
At my old job I used to stand there with my feet turned out to improve my turn out on the ice without even thinking about it!

Casey
01-14-2007, 03:39 AM
Last time I was wondering around a mall, I decided I needed to look again at something behind me, then turned back forward - then I realized I'd just done a double 3-turn to do a full rotation on one foot with a slight pause in between.

Then last week I was at work meandering about in my socks, and decided to demonstrate to one coworker my ability to kick over the head of another coworker who was sitting in his chair. ( :P - don't ask, I have an interesting work environment ;) ) So I did so and the spectator, who's done some martial arts in the past, said that the impressive part was not the kick but that I could pivot on the toe, shift weight to the heel, and keep pivoting (rather than falling as he expected), then come back to the toe. Again just a habit from doing double 3's.

And I will often balance on one foot lifting the other slightly in front while standing around idle. :P

FallDownGoBoom
01-14-2007, 11:07 AM
And I will often balance on one foot lifting the other slightly in front while standing around idle. :P

Crikey. I do that constantly. Reaching for something high on a shelf, I'll lift the rear leg behind me in a big sweeping arc and point the toe.

Helen88
01-14-2007, 11:20 AM
Crikey. I do that constantly. Reaching for something high on a shelf, I'll lift the rear leg behind me in a big sweeping arc and point the toe.

I sometimes do that too :)

Sonic
01-14-2007, 01:17 PM
You guys think that's bad...here's the girl who was unable to resist practising a Salchow on the nice slippy floor in the ladies' restroom at work...:oops: :lol:

S xxx

kateskate
01-14-2007, 04:35 PM
I practise everything off ice. I do dance steps at the train station on the platform (I have also been known to do axels there too) I practise field moves off the ice and I often go into impromptu skating bits (pointed toes, ballet arms etc etc)

Tiggerwoos
01-14-2007, 05:13 PM
I practise everything off ice. I do dance steps at the train station on the platform (I have also been known to do axels there too) I practise field moves off the ice and I often go into impromptu skating bits (pointed toes, ballet arms etc etc)

Snap!:) I work at a train station and when I am on nights (as have been this week) and waiting to dispatch the last trains and clear the platform, when it has been quiet and no passengers around I keep finding myself doing 3 jumps and salchows! on the platform itself:lol:

Hannah
01-15-2007, 12:12 AM
Last time I did a skating move in my apartment was a waltz jump that ended with me slamming the side of my hand into the wall. My poor bruised fingers.. :roll:

Outside is gooood...

russiet
01-15-2007, 05:34 AM
Last week I was working late & I thought everyone had gone home.

I went to use the mens room before packing up, and on my way there I whirled around, planted a toe and did a very nice toe loop.....right outside the office door of the HR director who also was working late.

She asked me what on earth I had just done, and then thanked me for helping her to laugh at the end of what otherwise was a very long day.

Thin-Ice
01-15-2007, 08:21 AM
I landed my very first salchows off-ice... in the freight elevator at work (it was an incredibly slow elevator.. so lots of time to practice between floors). The only downside was when I stepped off the elevator and several people were standing there and asked "What happened? We heard this HUGE thud!"... that's when I started working on SOFTER landings with bent knees!:lol:

Ellyn
01-15-2007, 08:54 AM
If I'm waiting for the microwave at work and no one else is around, and I'm wearing loafers, I'll slip off my shoes and practice backward brackets, etc., in my socks. Much less scary than on the ice, but helps to figure out the shoulder positions.

tidesong
01-15-2007, 11:54 PM
I practise choctaws (I hope I got the name right) alot at the train station because I can't get those things on the ice so I just keep trying them off ice.
Now that I've started ballet too, I also do some fondues and other on the spot things randomly hehehe.

And then of course I practise almost everything else (spirals, spins, jumps) in any fairly clean bathroom. If theres no space, then for jumps I just practise the cross foot air position.

Team Arthritis
01-16-2007, 09:54 AM
here is one at the desk: I have bad foot extension so I raise up the chair and sit on the edge pressing the top of my feet, well mainly just the toes, into the floor working on my foot arch while trying to sit up and pull the shoulder blades back working on my slouch. Its my secret, hehe he:halo:
Lyle

peanutskates
01-21-2007, 11:47 AM
yeah all the time...
when im bored, i practice simple jumps and spins...
sometimes i stand in the spread eagle position...
or walk in crossovers...

peanut x

Ice Dancer
01-21-2007, 02:48 PM
I do this too! My work toilet is favourite because it has a good floor and there is never anyone else in it!! My upstairs bathroom in front of the mirror is a good one too. I don't do anything in particular, just what I've been doing last really.

miraclegro
01-21-2007, 03:14 PM
Can you imagine if one of us incurs a head injury doing some of this? Particularly in one of the work bathrooms, etc? ha ha ha

I practice a lot on my kitchen floor linoleum and most recently i purchased some of the rubberized backing you purchase for rugs, and i'm going to put on my downstairs coffee table and try jumping from the floor up to the coffee table, but land facing the other way, in prep for an axel. I can't wait to explain how my coffee table broke to my hubby. ;)

sue123
01-21-2007, 03:19 PM
My last 2 years at university, I was working on Monday nights in the chem. stockroom. At that time, I was the only one in the stockroom, and there would only be 2 labs running. Well, while the profs were giving there prelab lectures, it was fairly safe that no one would come out. I would go to the back where we had a big empty space and practice 3 turns, little waltz jumps, spirals. Never took my shoes off though, it pains me ot htink what might have been spilled on that floor.

Of course, I've gotten caught before, but most people caught on afterwards that I was a little psycho and thought it was really funny. Little did they know that when I was helping them at the window, I was practicing balance on one foot.