View Full Version : Silver MITF and Freestyle.....I need your well wishes!

MusicSkateFan
01-12-2007, 06:54 PM
Well Monday at 2:40pm EST I will be taking Silver MITF and if all goes well and the club has time, I will take Silver Freestyle.....I need your best wishes!
Please remember...My club is a real #$%#& about passing people!
Hopefully I will be online that evening to register for Silver Men III at AN!

I have been skating well when I can get my head together....I have also had some major flubs lately.......

Why do I do these under the gun?

Well...Thoughts?:giveup: :giveup:
:roll: :lol:

jazzpants
01-12-2007, 07:14 PM
:roll: :lol:Thoughts? I think you're worrying too much!!! :twisted: :lol: :P I also think you're well ready for Silver FS!!! :D

Focus on your elements and give yourself keywords to think at certain points of your tests to get you to do what you have to do during the test. BREATHE!!! If you do a little stumble, swear under your breath but MOVE ON!!! On your moves test, between each moves element, BREATHE and take a moment to think about what you need to concentrate on for the move that you're about to do. As for your FS program...as you're getting out there and setting up for starting, take a moment to think of the character or the mood that you're trying to portray thru your music. (You're a musician so you know what I'm aiming at.) It's no different than you playing your instrument at a concert in Vienna!!!

You can do this one, MSF!!! Just be "in the moment" and you'll do great! I'll even throw in some good luck and wishes if it will help 'ya too! :lol: :P

TimDavidSkate
01-12-2007, 08:11 PM
Its easy to get carried away and obsess. show them that they're watching the Adult Bronze Men Class III National Champ!!!

Good Luck and let us know how you'll do

e-skater
01-12-2007, 08:33 PM
Well Monday at 2:40pm EST I will be taking Silver MITF and if all goes well and the club has time, I will take Silver Freestyle.....I need your best wishes!
Please remember...My club is a real #$%#& about passing people!
Hopefully I will be online that evening to register for Silver Men III at AN!

I have been skating well when I can get my head together....I have also had some major flubs lately.......

Why do I do these under the gun?

:roll: :lol:

First of all, no waving white flags! GOOD LUCK TO YOU on your test(s).

Just my opinion, but it seems *every* club is harsh on passing AS moves. NO ONE at my rink has passed Silver moves the first time! But you are not AT my club. Even though your club seems hard too, YOU CAN DO IT, and I know you will!

As for skating well when the head is together, I understand completely. I said this in another thread, be "in the moment" as much as you can. Remember, you can do this, and obviously you *have* done each move when your head is together. Most skaters I've talked to have "major flubs" while practicing their test elements. Apparently it is quite common -- I experienced it too. The thing to remember is that it is what it is, a flub then, and it has no bearing on a future performance of the skill. Keep that confidence up!

I bet you will make it to AS FS as well. When I tested AB FS, I went for "feeling" with the music. I recommend it, as the skills (mostly, anyway, LOL!!!) just flowed out. I bet you have trained well and practiced your AS FS program many times. Remember that. GOOD LUCK!

I'm not on here as much as I used to be, lurking, but I will check back at some point to see your report! PM is always available, if you are so inclined!

Have a great test session! :)

Isk8NYC
01-12-2007, 09:15 PM
You'll be great MusicSkateFan - hope you pass with flying colors!
(Has to be easier than recovering from injuries, right?)

Debbie S
01-12-2007, 10:07 PM
Finally, No Michelle Kwan! No Sasha Cohen, either, at least this season. ;)

Seriously....good luck on your test(s) Monday! I saw you weren't on the schedule for your FS, but that's good that they were able to fit you in at the end (a friend of mine was "fit in" at this test session last year for her Bronze FS, so I'm sure it will work out for you). You can do it! And as Isk8NYC pointed out, if you can recover from your knee surgery, you can pass these tests. :P

I watched the November test session and saw 2 Silver MIF tests, 1 of which passed, and I believe both were taking the test for the first time. Just stay confident, keep the wobbles to a minimum (and make sure the 3-turns are at the top of the lobes), maintain speed and flow, and you should do fine.

Terri C
01-13-2007, 06:38 AM
Look MSF, I passed my Bronze moves last month and all three judges were from your club (well, two of them passed me, but that's all one needs,right?!).
Just take one move at a time. I'm sure your coach by now has given you key things to think about on each move. If for whatever reason, you flub something up, complete that move, then in that time between moves, think about the next move, don't dwell on the flub up. That's what worked for me on my test last month. YOU CAN DO IT!

Finally as a aside, whatever happens, can you post some of your test comments here? I just started working on Silver moves last week ( freakin right achilles tendon is keeping me from jumping!)

Mrs Redboots
01-13-2007, 07:20 AM
Best of luck! I'm sure you'll pass, and am longing to hear all about it.

techskater
01-13-2007, 08:27 AM
Good luck! Just turn your brain off and do what your body knows to do! :) Try not to obsess as that will get you in trouble as well!

skaternum
01-13-2007, 08:41 AM
I haven't seen you skate in a while, but I can still say that I know you'll pass. Heck, you were skating GREAT the last time I saw you, so I'm sure you must be looking mighty fab these days. You don't need luck, but I'll still say GOOD LUCK to you!

Morgail
01-14-2007, 02:36 PM
Best of luck! I hope you get to test (and pass!) both.

mikawendy
01-14-2007, 02:40 PM
Good luck on both of your tests!!

dbny
01-14-2007, 04:40 PM
Good luck! Good luck!

Sk8pdx
01-14-2007, 11:37 PM
I am so glad I don't have to go through this test day all alone. :P (I skate at 11:30am for Bronze MIF PST) which translates to about the same time you skate Eastern time. hmm. Conicidence? or fate? You will skate wonderfully, MSF! The best advice I received was to remember to breathe.
Have fun!:bow:
~sk8pdx.

Mel On Ice
01-15-2007, 12:05 PM
lots of adult tests went out here in West Michigan. We had bronze pairs, bronze free, silver moves and siler frees go out. EVERYBODY PASSED!

jazzpants
01-15-2007, 04:21 PM
Well??? WELL!?!?! What's the news, MSF!?!?!? Enquiring minds wanna know what happened and what are your scores, comments, note, etc??? :P

doubletoe
01-15-2007, 05:12 PM
Yeah, how did it go? :)

Terri C
01-15-2007, 05:37 PM
Actually I'm hoping for best case scenario which means that MSF is online registering for AN and will tell us later! Priorities....

MusicSkateFan
01-15-2007, 06:09 PM
I PASSED BOTH TESTS!!!!!!!:) :) :) :) :) :)

I got through a gruelling day!

I guess I am going to Adult Nats...Silver Men III

Not the best skates...but I passed and that is what counts!

Silver MITF test- had to reskate clockwise 8 step

Judge 1
8 step- 2.7 Rhythm Good. Cont much flow and strength good
Clockwise circle could have been larger
x str - 2.7 F-good
B-okay a little choppy at times
FO 3's- 2.7 good control on 3's skated cleanly Maintained flow

FI 3's- 2.7 Good 3's with good flow

Spirals 2.9 Very Nice

Pulls 2.8 F Very good
B Good-Skater relaxed after 3 turn elements
and did a good job on the test.

I will post the rest of my scores..coments after I have dinner...I am starving!
"Judge 3" did not pass me....sort of got low balled on the pulls and cross strokes by her. Judge 2 was EVIL on the 8step but gave me a lot of bonus on 3 turn, spiral and pulls.
Judge 2-16.2
Judge 3 16.0 :twisted:

More later...I got a great steak that is going on the grill while the Champers is cooling!

Terri C
01-15-2007, 06:15 PM
Woot woot, another pass!!
The Skate Gods did some beaucoup overtime today!!
Congratulations MSF!!!

Isk8NYC
01-15-2007, 06:17 PM
Congratulations!

TimDavidSkate
01-15-2007, 06:18 PM
CONGRATS MSF

MusicSkateFan
01-15-2007, 06:19 PM
All three judges passed my freeskate....It was a slightly different panel but I had the evil Judge #3 from the MITF

Judge 1 2.8 2.7
Judge 2 and 3 2.7 2.7

I bombed the camel spin in the program and had to re-skate it....The reskate one was quite good...the judges noted.

Skittl1321
01-15-2007, 06:24 PM
Congratulations!

techskater
01-15-2007, 06:38 PM
Congratulations!!! Don't forget to register!

mikawendy
01-15-2007, 07:21 PM
Congratulations!!!

jazzpants
01-15-2007, 07:41 PM
WHOO HOO!!! Go MusicSkateFan!!!

http://www.cosgan.de/images/midi/musik/p020.gif

Time to celebrate....

http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/musik/c065.gif http://www.cosgan.de/images/midi/musik/l020.gif

(...but after you register for AN 2007 first... ;) :P )

Ehhh....why not? I'll throw this smiley in since you played clarinet last summer... http://www.cosgan.de/images/kao/musik/g040.gif

mdvask8r
01-15-2007, 08:21 PM
Way to go MSF!!! Congratulations!
When I saw you come off the ice at 7 o'clock this morning you had such a calm about you, I knew then that you would be just fine for the test.
Congrats again!! So happy for you.

dbny
01-15-2007, 08:33 PM
CONGRATULATIONS!

NoVa Sk8r
01-15-2007, 08:35 PM
Yay MSF!
All those jinxes from those annoying ice dancers/coaches last Sat. evening had the opposite effect. Welcome to silver land.

Oh ... now, you can officially skate pairs with LoopLoop. :twisted: :P :idea:

TimDavidSkate
01-15-2007, 09:14 PM
I gotta hand it to ya, Washington FSC is just like Skating club of NY :twisted: Too picky and very strict. Once again congrats and like nova said, "welcome to silver land"

I know you must have felt like this after you received your papers :halo:
http://brocknyla.typepad.com/brocknyla/OLYPA25202212242_sp.jpeg

doubletoe
01-15-2007, 09:42 PM
Oh, good! The camel spin is always the dusey on that test! It's one of the worst things to have to do when you're nervous, so good for you for keeping your nerves in check and picking it up on the reskate! :D

renatele
01-15-2007, 09:51 PM
YAY!! Congratulations!!!

Debbie S
01-15-2007, 10:06 PM
Congratulations, MSF! Way to go! I'm hoping to take (and pass) Silver MIF sometime this summer, although I have no plans to move up to Silver in FS.

I hope you enjoyed your steak and had plenty of...um...beverages to reward yourself! :P

Edited to add that I'd be interested in the reason they asked you to reskate the clockwise 8-step (and odd that they only had you reskate half of the move, but hey, the less you have to do that move, all the better, I say ;) ).

Thin-Ice
01-16-2007, 03:05 AM
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

Another Skating Forums success story!!! You inspire the rest of us!

jenlyon60
01-16-2007, 04:53 AM
Congratulations, MSF! Way to go! I'm hoping to take (and pass) Silver MIF sometime this summer, although I have no plans to move up to Silver in FS.

I hope you enjoyed your steak and had plenty of...um...beverages to reward yourself! :P

Edited to add that I'd be interested in the reason they asked you to reskate the clockwise 8-step (and odd that they only had you reskate half of the move, but hey, the less you have to do that move, all the better, I say ;) ).

Debbie --

Often if there's a major difference in quality between the 2 directions (CCW and CW) on a MIF, and if redoing only the lesser quality direction with better execution, and if we are pressed for time (very common at WFSC test sessions), we will ask for only 1 direction to be reskated. Which is what happened with MSF (and a couple other skaters over the course of the day). (I was NOT one of his judges but I saw both his MIF and FS tests.)

Mrs Redboots
01-16-2007, 06:04 AM
Yesssss!!!!!

Congratulations.

MusicSkateFan
01-16-2007, 06:45 AM
Thank you all so much for the kind words and support!

I am so glad to have it over with! I wish I could have skated better....I really wanted to NAIL both tests. Instead, I just got by!

I have learned the following......

Taking two tests on the same day is not the best idea! (I did this because of the knee recovery...blah blah blah)

Taking a test at a rink that you don't skate at with out having your blades sharpened in the past 8 months is SCARY!

The ice at the test rink is much different from my home rinks......I knew this! :frus: I was getting away with dull blades on my familiar ice just fine. The blade situation led me to be very cautious on the MITF and not secure on the spins and some of my jump landings on the freestyle!:giveup:

The skates WILL be sharpened SOON!
I will need to have good edges for those power circles and brackets on the Gold MITF!!!

If some of you future Silver skaters want the rest of my judges comments/scores....let me know!

Thin-Ice
01-16-2007, 06:52 AM
Thank you all so much for the kind words and support!

I am so glad to have it over with! I wish I could have skated better....I really wanted to NAIL both tests. Instead, I just got by!

If some of you future Silver skaters want the rest of my judges comments/scores....let me know!

1) They NEVER ask "How much did you pass the test by and did all 3 judges pass you?" So, you passed :bow: and that's what REALLY counts.

2) YES PLEASE!!!! All the judges comments and scores, please -- and thank you!

TimDavidSkate
01-16-2007, 07:30 AM
Taking a test at a rink that you don't skate at with out having your blades sharpened in the past 8 months is SCARY!

The skates WILL be sharpened SOON!
I will need to have good edges for those power circles and brackets on the Gold MITF!!!

Try to start using the honing stone :P I never got my blades sharpened, EVER! I hate having to adjust everything due to a bad sharpening. I hone my blades the day before I skate. Yeh I bet it was scary going through a test having to worry about your blades being dull 8O

MusicSkateFan
01-16-2007, 08:09 AM
I will post all judges scores, etc. after I get home from work!

Team Arthritis
01-16-2007, 09:13 AM
Way 2 GO!
Lyle:bow:

Sk8pdx
01-16-2007, 03:22 PM
MusicSkateFan,
I knew there were good test vibes all the way! Congratulations on your sweet silver success! Won't see you at AN until 2008. I should like to meet you and loop loop skating pairs. ;) :P

~sk8pdx

e-skater
01-16-2007, 04:06 PM
I PASSED BOTH TESTS!!!!!!!:) :) :) :) :) :)

I got through a gruelling day!

I guess I am going to Adult Nats...Silver Men III

I will post the rest of my scores..coments after I have dinner...I am starving!
"Judge 3" did not pass me....sort of got low balled on the pulls and cross strokes by her. Judge 2 was EVIL on the 8step but gave me a lot of bonus on 3 turn, spiral and pulls.

More later...I got a great steak that is going on the grill while the Champers is cooling!

WOW! Congrats! Please do post the rest. I hope to test at least Silver moves some day! Good for you for passing. It *does* sound grueling. Yikes. All the better to have success with a pass on both tests.

TaBalie
01-16-2007, 08:57 PM
Congratulations!

http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/party/party-smiley-017.gif

aussieskater
01-17-2007, 05:44 AM
Go musicskatefan! Congratulations - what an achievement!

LoopLoop
01-17-2007, 08:21 AM
MusicSkateFan,
Congratulations on your sweet silver success! Won't see you at AN until 2008. I should like to meet you and loop loop skating pairs. ;) :P

~sk8pdx

Good job MSF! Maybe Nova and I will start teaching you some pair elements ON the ice... just in case some other skater-in-search-of-a-partner shows up in DC.

flo
01-17-2007, 09:52 AM
Congrats all around!!!!!! Hmm, Silver - now you can skate up to gold pairs. ;)

MusicSkateFan
01-17-2007, 04:20 PM
The Rest of the Marks: MITF

Judge 2
8 step: 2.3 1st side ok edges barely a cross step. 2nd side all on flat,choppy reskate closer but poor

X strokes: 2.7 good power from transitions

FO3's: 2.8 steady, big lobes OK BI 3 action except for first one

FI 3's: 2.7 LFI glide after B3 very short mostly steady lobes 3 action ok

Spirals: 2.9 Excellent line very steady

Power pulls: 2.8 strong, good pull from back edge. Mostly good elements with power weak on refinement and extension

Judge 3:twisted:
8 step 2.6 cc adequate quickness: c break in pattern wide step mohawk: reskate better but still wide stepping mowhawk

X strokes: 2.6 F adequate flow but stepping over: B labored poor flow but good use of edges

FO 3's 2.7 Adequate edges

FI 3's 2.7 Adequate edges

Spirals: 2.8 Very good Extension

Pulls: 2.6 Forward adequate back loss of flow on left fook weak

MusicSkateFan
01-17-2007, 04:27 PM
Freestyle: New Panel except Judge #3:twisted:

Judge 1
Tech: 2.8 Nice height on jumps, reskate camel
Pres: 2.7

Judge 2
Tech 2.7 Easy jumps-spinning a little labored: reskate camel-Beautiful. Simple connections but well done, congratulations

Pres: 2.7 Good stretch on extension moves good speed and flow, covers ice suface well developing musicality.

Judge 3:twisted:
Tech 2.7 Good height on jumps Some landings a little insecure. Need to work on spin positions even though these were sufficient revs.
reskate camel-good
Pres 2.7 Good coverage of the ice and good use of phrasing. Could project more to the audience

That's it!
On to Gold MITF!

jazzpants
01-17-2007, 04:42 PM
Just out of curiousity, MSF... what combo spin did you do for the test? Camel-sit?

Sooooo happy for (and envious of) you!!! :D

MusicSkateFan
01-17-2007, 04:48 PM
My elements for freestyle:

Opening spiral
Lutz FO 3 Flip sequence
Camel Spin
Sal, Toe combo
back spiral into Flip
Camel,sit combo
loop
circular footwork
Lutz
Sit spin

TimDavidSkate
01-17-2007, 06:02 PM
wow i give you credit for squeezing in the lutzes during a test... I didnt even bother with mine :giveup: I dont want to chance running into the boards...:D

My elements for freestyle:

Opening spiral
Lutz FO 3 Flip sequence
Camel Spin
Sal, Toe combo
back spiral into Flip
Camel,sit combo
loop
circular footwork
Lutz
Sit spin

Sk8pdx
01-17-2007, 09:08 PM
Yay MSF!
All those jinxes from those annoying ice dancers/coaches last Sat. evening had the opposite effect. Welcome to silver land.

Oh ... now, you can officially skate pairs with LoopLoop. :twisted: :P :idea:

Good job MSF! Maybe Nova and I will start teaching you some pair elements ON the ice... just in case some other skater-in-search-of-a-partner shows up in DC.

Oh nooo! I am a little confused. :?? and I shall add a little blondeness into the mix as well:halo: . Are there 3 of you in this "pair team" ? :P :lol: ;)

Loops, you lucky girl, to be wooed and won for by pairs men. 8-) :bow:

NoVa Sk8r
01-17-2007, 10:45 PM
Nah, I'm just getting ready to retire after this season.

jazzpants
01-18-2007, 12:35 AM
Nah, I'm just getting ready to retire after this season.As in retiring from pairs, or retiring from skating altogether? 8O (Don't mean to hijack the thread... but as they say with the tabloids, "enquiring minds want to know." :twisted: