View Full Version : Need something to dry my skates faster...

Casey
01-08-2007, 08:06 PM
Anybody have any suggestions for something (preferably that I can order online or easily find at a common store) that I can throw in my boots to help them dry faster? I skated morning and afternoon freestyles today, and the residual moisture in the tongue made my foot get a blister... I have been using baking soda boxes with the breathable sides, but that just absorbs order, it doesn't seem to have much of a drying effect...

renatele
01-08-2007, 08:37 PM
Isk8NYC posted several times that she places silica gel (in a sock) to keep the skates/bag dry, and I've been doing that since summer too - works great!

http://www.skatingforums.com/showthread.php?p=289108
http://www.skatingforums.com/showthread.php?p=284569

etc

LWalsh
01-09-2007, 07:12 AM
Newspaper will wick moisture away or get one of those boot dryers that skiers use.

lwalsh

Scarlett
01-09-2007, 07:18 AM
I use Stinkees. They not only dry your boots but they make them smell better.

Team Arthritis
01-09-2007, 09:49 AM
this is absolutely the best thing I've ever used,
http://www.amazon.com/Peet-Boot-Shoe-Dryer/dp/B0002YEEAQ/sr=1-1/qid=1168357554/ref=sr_1_1/002-6432979-8049652?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods
only the one by Redwing blows a little stronger. The baking soda woks well for me but needs to be replaced regularly and maybe its not working too well for you if the box fits too tight in your boots. I also have those "electric sticks" that are nice for overnight drying and would be great if you could plug them into the card lighter adapter to warm the skates on the way to the rink!
Lyle

miraclegro
01-09-2007, 07:51 PM
Where do you get Stinkees?

sandyk
01-09-2007, 08:17 PM
I second the newspaper suggestion. It's cheap, easy to find and removes moisture pretty effectively.

Casey
01-09-2007, 10:51 PM
I also have those "electric sticks" that are nice for overnight drying and would be great if you could plug them into the card lighter adapter to warm the skates on the way to the rink!
You can pick up a power inverter at Circuit City or any sort of consumer electronics store and then plug in anything with a normal plug. If you don't need too much wattage they're pretty cheap, too. I think I spent $40 on mine, but it got stolen ages ago and I haven't ever got another.

How long does the Peet take? Will it shut off automatically when the moisture's all gone? I'll pick up a paper sometime soon and try that, but I'm not sure it'll be fast enough to dry, uhh..."well-soaked" skates from a couple hours of freestyle by the time I come back to the rink for more. ;) It really only seems to be the ankles that sweat a lot. Maybe I should get some low-cut boots like the speed roller skates have. Course then I'd kill myself... ;)

Isk8NYC
01-10-2007, 07:58 AM
I second the newspaper suggestion. It's cheap, easy to find and removes moisture pretty effectively.Yes, you're right. If you can find blank newsprint paper, it's better than ordinary newspapers because the ink doesn't come off. (Guys in black socks wouldn't notice, but barefoot people end up with "headline tattoos." LOL)

Team Arthritis
01-10-2007, 04:32 PM
Hey Casey, if its just your ankles, those silicone sleeves will hold the sweat away from your boot and make your foot silky smooth:D
Lyle

slusher
01-14-2007, 07:17 PM
I went looking for a pix to post for the skate bag thread and found this:

ShockDoc Power Dry system (http://www.shockdoc.com/hockey.html)

http://www.shockdoc.com/images/BagArrowsCoach.jpg

The coach/referee bag looks like the perfect size for figure skaters, and it looks like it would dry out your mitts, socks etc in the other compartments too.

Skate@Delaware
01-14-2007, 08:14 PM
I use "toastie toes"-what the hunters use to keep their feet warm...and I leave them in my skates (because one day I forgot). I always open my skate bag and pull the tongue of my skates out so air gets to them. Well, about 2-3 hours later, I pulled out my skates and they were dry! So, I do that every time...leave those little puppies in! (I have circulation problems so use the toasie toes almost every time I hit the ice).

lovepairs
01-16-2007, 06:20 AM
I hust bring a small portable hair dryer (blower) with me, and stick it in the boot for a minute, or two, and it does the job. I don't know if it's good for the boot, but I haven't noticed any difference and have been doing it for a year. It's great to get on the ice with nice toasty feet! :P

aussieskater
01-17-2007, 05:53 AM
I use "toastie toes"-what the hunters use to keep their feet warm...and I leave them in my skates (because one day I forgot). I always open my skate bag and pull the tongue of my skates out so air gets to them. Well, about 2-3 hours later, I pulled out my skates and they were dry! So, I do that every time...leave those little puppies in! (I have circulation problems so use the toasie toes almost every time I hit the ice).

*... aussieskater runs away to google "toastie toes" and is surprised that such things exist ...*

Downunder we don't have a need for such things as it doesn't get cold enough - quite different from the northern half of the world!

But the description and picture did raise a question for me: S@D, how do you fit something like that in your skate to wear it? It seems it's even more thickness than "just another sock" as it were - which would be bad enough to try to get into a closely-fitting boot?

peanutskates
01-22-2007, 12:35 PM
i use blade chamois, since i have heard that it is really great for absorbing moisture - it isn't bad, and suffices my needs... got it at poundland...