View Full Version : How to Keep Medals from Freezing to the Ice?

KevinVeit
01-08-2007, 09:17 AM
We just started choreographing my Spotlight program. I will be skating to "We Are the Champions" by Queen and as part of the program, I am wearing 3 medals. In the middle of program, I take them off and set them on the ice for the rest of the program. When we tried this morning, one of the medals was stuck to the ice when we came back to it at the end of the routine. We were able to get it unstuck, but not easily.

Any ideas on what I could put on the medals to keep them from freezing to the ice?

Thanks in advance,

Kevin

flo
01-08-2007, 09:52 AM
Back them with felt. You can get this the same color as the medals. You can also coat the medal backs in clear wax.

Isk8NYC
01-08-2007, 10:08 AM
Don't put them on until you go on the ice. If you wear them during warmups, they get warm, too! That's why they melt the ice when you put them down, then the ice refreezes and they "stick."

Of course, that means you'll have to start your routine with ice-cold medals...Flo's idea will help with that, too!

ETA: This is a stupid question but ... why don't you just buy plastic medals at a party-supply or costume shop?
I just imagined getting hit in the face with a chunk of metal while spinning - not a pretty thought!

phoenix
01-08-2007, 10:47 AM
Yeah, my first thought was to keep them as cold as possible in the first place so they won't melt into the ice.

samba
01-08-2007, 11:08 AM
Sorry I have no suggestions, but I fell about laughing at the thought of you trying to pick them up, its like the joke coin, nailed to the floor.:lol:

Bill_S
01-08-2007, 03:42 PM
... its like the joke coin, nailed to the floor.:lol:

I used to go straight from work to the rink without changing, and would often have coins in my pockets. When I fell, the coins would roll out onto the ice. If I took more than a few seconds retreiving them, they would be frozen into the ice.

There's nothing like looking to be a prospector bent over small bits of metal trying to chip them out!

And now in my wisdom, I toss coins into my skate bag before I step onto the ice.

Team Arthritis
01-08-2007, 04:16 PM
a friend played semi-pro hockey for a while and said that the worst crowds would toss coins onto the ice during the game if the home team was losing. That'll bring down anybody.
Lyle

Mel On Ice
01-08-2007, 08:34 PM
what program are you doing that would allow you to set a prop that would mar the ice surface ON the ice?

Mel On Ice
01-08-2007, 08:34 PM
oh. Florrisant. ISI. State Games? Never mind. Good luck.

Casey
01-09-2007, 02:16 AM
On certain public sessions, I've collected quite a bit of change from the ice, but usually have to do a stop into the coins to free them from their stuck position on the ice. I don't know why people think it's an acceptable idea to have pockets full of change when taking to the ice - I guess for the same reason that some think walking about on cement or kicking metal things with rental skates is a good idea. :roll:

Clarice
01-09-2007, 07:09 AM
I agree with Isk8NYC's suggestion about plastic medals. In fact, I might even go so far as to make my own out of cardboard and paint them gold so that they could be oversize. If we can't see the props, they won't do you any good.

sunjoy
01-09-2007, 08:18 AM
I don't know why people think it's an acceptable idea to have pockets full of change when taking to the ice - I guess for the same reason that some think walking about on cement or kicking metal things with rental skates is a good idea. :roll:Sometimes you forget there's change in your pockets. But one experience of unsticking change is a good teacher! (Kick it with your toe picks).

Yeah I saw some guy (adult) walking down concrete stairs outside the rink in hockey skates. No guards. HUH? I've seen a teenager walk off the rubber mats, probably to be rebellious, but an adult, on stairs??? A kid had to tell him "you're not allowed to walk there in skates".

NEway, plastic medals was my first thought. Otherwise, yeah, back them with something. In fact if you are taking them off simply so they don't get in the way, why not think about using light plastic medals that are attatched to your shirt so you don't have to remove them? You'll probably want to add some elastic into the ribbon so that they don't constrain neck movements.

ETA: speaking of plastic, oversized medals, you could use CDs as a joke on Torino! :P Some rewritables even come in a gold color. :)

Isk8NYC
01-09-2007, 08:32 AM
what program are you doing that would allow you to set a prop that would mar the ice surface ON the ice?
oh. Florrisant. ISI. State Games? Never mind. Good luck.Actually, there are rules for ISI Spotlight events that preclude damaging the ice. No feathers, mops, water, etc., etc.
ETA: speaking of plastic, oversized medals, you could use CDs as a joke on Torino! :P Some rewritables even come in a gold color. :)That's brilliant!

flo
01-09-2007, 09:59 AM
For our Olympic week at the club I spray painted washers and put them on ribbons for the kids medals.

Isk8NYC
01-09-2007, 11:05 AM
Now you can cut the bottoms off of bottles and fire them in your kiln to make medals!

flo
01-09-2007, 12:01 PM
Now you can cut the bottoms off of bottles and fire them in your kiln to make medals!

Love that idea!