View Full Version : Pre-Bronze Question

sunjoy
01-06-2007, 06:04 PM
Pre-Bronze Question:

Online I found the requirement for the freestyle test: "Two different half or one revolution jumps." Would waltz & mazurka or Ballet qualify for this, or do I actually need to get a credible full revolution jump? (Toe, for me).

Also on the USFA moves diagram for 5-step mohawk (Bronze), it lists "slip" between the fourth (LFO) and fifth (RFI) steps. What's a slip -- I've never heard of it? (Yes I have access to the usfsa adult moves videos, so I'll check it out to see if that helps).

Thanks.

phoenix
01-06-2007, 06:15 PM
First: "Two different single jumps, either half or full revolution"--would require half flip, half lutz, half loop, waltz jump, or any single (once around) jump.

The "slip" step on the 5 step mohawk would be called a slide chasse in dance, if that's any help to you. There's no push--you're on an outside edge, you set the new foot down right next to the skating foot on an inside edge, and slide the other foot out in front, so you end up on an inside edge w/ the free foot held straight out in front of you, on a bent skating knee.

Debbie S
01-06-2007, 06:24 PM
For the purposes of the Pre-Bronze FS test, a waltz jump would qualify, but I don't believe a ballet jump or mazurka would - they are considered non-jump elements that can be used for choreo purposes - in fact, they are not even really a half rev. You can take the test with only half-rev jumps, but you would need a half-flip or half-lutz. Technically, a half-loop might work, but I've never heard of anyone using that for this test - it's really used as a connecting element in jump sequences.

The "slip" is the 5th step. It involves placing the free foot beside the skating foot and pushing off. I don't know why it's called "slip", but you are basically stepping from a FO edge on 1 foot to FI on the other - maybe slip refers to when you change feet and edges but not the direction?

I would not watch the adult MIF videos as a way of learning the moves. There are a variety of issues I've noticed in the ones I've watched. I recommend ordering the PSA moves videos (2-volume set). The Rainbo catalog/website sells them, along with the PSA moves manual that lists test standards and common errors. If you can get your coach to order these materials from the PSA and have you just reimburse him/her, it would cost a bit less b/c of the PSA discount.

I would recommend you wait for your coach to teach you the moves, instead of trying to teach the moves to yourself. You'll avoid developing bad habits.

sunjoy
01-06-2007, 10:43 PM
Thank you!

I would not watch the adult MIF videos as a way of learning the moves. There are a variety of issues I've noticed in the ones I've watched. I recommend ordering the PSA moves videos (2-volume set).

Yeah, except for the "Common Errors" video, it seems that the quality of the skaters varies from really good to what I presume is just adequate for passing. Speaking of the Common Errors video, it lists "stiff robotic movements" as a mistake for the backwards cross-rolls. Then there's a shot of the skater actually doing that, looking for all the world like one of those old Frankenstein's Monster films, except on skates. I literally LOL'd when I saw that! :lol: