View Full Version : Layback Variations

DressageChica
01-06-2007, 12:19 AM
So we've all seen the traditional layback, but there are endless possibilities for variations. I thought it would be interesting if we could share them so others (like me!) can have new things to practice!

I need some new inspiration! :)

fmh
01-06-2007, 11:29 AM
I love laybacks too, and what sucks is that with the new judging system (I like everything else about the new system) is that a layback isn't worth much. A layback variation that gets bonus points is a side layback, then switching to a regular layback then grabbing your foot. The varation I like to do is where you do a regular layback and grab your foot, then go into a beilman posititon. these are both hard and require a lot of strength and flexibility, but they're both quite possible if you work on it. You could also change your layback by putting your arms different than usual, for example some people can put their arms behind their head and it makes a nice layback :)

mikawendy
01-06-2007, 11:31 AM
I once saw someone do a backward layback (layback position but it is a backspin instead of a forward spin. In addition, she was leaning toward her skating side with her free side's arm raised in the air. It was very pretty but looked hard to do.

NoVa Sk8r
01-06-2007, 11:41 AM
Didn't Emily Hughes try a flying layback? As I recall, it was interesting but not very pretty.

doubletoe
01-06-2007, 11:44 AM
I love laybacks too, and what sucks is that with the new judging system (I like everything else about the new system) is that a layback isn't worth much. A layback variation that gets bonus points is a side layback, then switching to a regular layback then grabbing your foot. The varation I like to do is where you do a regular layback and grab your foot, then go into a beilman posititon. these are both hard and require a lot of strength and flexibility, but they're both quite possible if you work on it. You could also change your layback by putting your arms different than usual, for example some people can put their arms behind their head and it makes a nice layback :)

Actually, the layback spin is worth more than any other forward spin. An upright, sit or camel is only worth 1.2 points, but as of this year, a level 1 layback spin is now worth 1.5 points! Then, as you mentioned, you can add points by doing both a regular layback position and a sideways leaning position for at least 2 revolutions each, then grabbing your free foot and bringing the blade to your head while remaining in the layback position ("haircutter" spin). After that, you can get more points by pulling the free foot all the way up into a Biellmann and holding it for at least 2 revolutions.

kayskate
01-07-2007, 03:45 PM
Backward layback is very difficult. backward attitude is also hard, but not nearly as much. I like to do a sideways leaning spin (speaking of forward spins now) and roll at the waist to a layback.

Kay

tidesong
01-07-2007, 07:31 PM
I have yet to get the sideways layback spin... but anyways I've tried the back layback (and either fallen over or almost fallen over) but it feels exciting hehe. For the forward layback, the variations I know are all under simple arm variations... just open arms, closed arms, one arm in 5th other in rest position... but trying to learn the hair cutter and beilmann (but can't get two proper rounds yet... I spend a few rounds trying to get into position and tend to flop over the moment I hit them)

techskater
01-07-2007, 07:49 PM
For the back layback, work on the back attitude. The back layback makes me want to throw up!!!