View Full Version : Stroking drills

blisspix
01-04-2007, 11:01 PM
Since I'm doing public ice tomorrow, and trying out my new sharpening with the ProFiler, I'm in need of stroking drills. I haven't had a lesson in almost a decade now (yikes!) and memory of the drills my coach used to get me to do are quickly fading.

I used to do crossovers forwards and backwards in a figure 8, crossrolls, alternating mohawks etc.

Anyone know of a good site detailing a stroking drill/warmup sequence?

cecealias
01-04-2007, 11:50 PM
Tons!! I am a MITF-aholic. PM me for details.

Team Arthritis
01-05-2007, 11:23 AM
I am a MITF-aholic.

LOL, are you an ice dancer?
Lyle

das_mondlicht
01-05-2007, 12:27 PM
3 years ago, I download MIF exercises from an Australia (or New Zealand) skating site. The title is Precision Development Exercises. It covers from Test 1 to 5.

Test 1: Forward perimeter skating, basic consecutive edges
Test 2: Forward crossovers in a circle, backward crossovers in a circle,, consecutive outside and inside edges
Test 3: Forward perimeter power crossover stroking, Backward perimeter power crossover stroking, forward and backward power pulls, alternating crossovers to backward outside edges
Test 4: 5-step mohawk sequence, forward power 3s, 3s in the field, cross rolls forward and backward.
Test 5: 8-step mohawk sequence, forward double 3s, backward power 3s, bracket sequence.

The patterns are actually same as USFS MIF patterns. PM me if you would like to get a copy (435K PDF). I have lost the link...:frus:

Luna

cecealias
01-05-2007, 01:29 PM
LOL, are you an ice dancer?
Lyle

LOL, no, but someday I definitely want to do ice dance. I love working on moves. It makes freestyle soooo much easier.

TaBalie
01-06-2007, 12:57 AM
Thanks das_mondlicht -- I am going to take this list to the rink next time I skate. Covers everything, and will be a great warm up for practicing freestlye elements. :)

MusicSkateFan
01-06-2007, 06:33 PM
MITF for at least 30 minutes each time you skate. I have found the adult silver moves have really improved my speed, edges, stroking and power. Outside mohawk into back crossovers.